PDA

View Full Version : Tough Decision for Franklin

Troy87
12-12-2007, 02:35 PM
I know everyone wants this to work out in Troy's favor, and for Franklin to stay, but there really shouldn't be as much whining and fit pitching as is going on here right now.

To be sure, this is a difficult decision for TF. Do you think he doesn't realize how he will be perceived by taking the Auburn job? Do you think he doesn't have an appreciation for what LB has allowed him to do in the two years he has been at Troy? Do you think this is all selfish money-grabbing on his part?

This decision doesn't involve only TF, but his family, his company and the people who work for him, and his future financial security. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't someone in his immedaite family stricken with cancer earlier this season? I'm sure there are financial considerations that result from that. He has a company with HQ in Colorado, which employs a few people I'm sure. I'm sure he has to take into consideration what a move like this would do for his company.

If TF were to turn down this offer to get back into a BCS coaching position, do you think another BCS team will come along and offer in the future, or will this be his only shot to get back into the bigs?

If someone offers any person on this board at least twice what you make now to do the same job at location only 60 miles away, and do it with much much more in the way of resources, would anyone in their right mind turn that offer down?

This is not an easy decision for Tony, but I think the right decision is probably for him to go to Auburn. I hate the loss, if he does decide to go, but I don't hate the man, nor do I hate his decision.

TUTrojan
12-12-2007, 02:54 PM
CoachF brought a great deal to this team outside of calling the X's and O's. We are just all very fearful that we just cannot easily replace all that he has done. I wish him the best in his decision and am thankful he has been with us while he has. He has truly elevated our program, but now I am afraid that the rug will be pulled out and all progress will be lost. Surely not with the general LB running things. He will keep us moving forward one way or another.

Troy87
12-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Oh, I don't think all progress will be lost by any stretch of the imagination. If Tony goes, we lose the momentum we had going forward, but it's then a matter of rolling up our sleeves and figuring out how to stabilize the situation and begin the movement forward again.

Someone mentioned the loss of the football camp, and I think this will be the biggest loss of all. We have had the ability to see so many of these kids in the last two years, that losing that exposure will be hurtful, but remember, over the two summers we had the camp, Troy has been exposed to over two thousand potential recruits that may have otherwise not known of Troy. The first thing we do is re-double the efforts to keep in contact with those who came to the camp, and figure out how we out-recruit Auburn for some of them.

And although not likely, there could be a deal worked out to continue holding Franklin's camp at Troy. We used to have the Bowden family camp there you know, so if Tubberville still wants to have his camp, Tony may decide to continue to have his camp at Troy.

ksdtrojan
12-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Great post guys! Tony has a lot to consider and whether he stays or goes he has brought a lot of recognition to Troy. I am glad he was at Troy even if it turns out to be a short stay.

NWFLTrojan
12-12-2007, 03:21 PM
I also wondered whether the camp would stay. What ever happened to the Bowden family camp that was held at Troy a few years ago? Maybe the Franklin camp sticks around like that one did.

Discophobia
12-12-2007, 03:23 PM
We not only lose the camp, but we lose TF's pipeline to all of the schools that he put his system in place at. On the recruiting side this is a big deal. This is something we can not replace, but we must if at all possible think big for a new OC, as big as the small amount we can pay. A known entity in the football world will help minimize the recruiting damage.

FoulPolePhenom
12-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Yea...but as soon as we get a big deal in the football world that we can afford, what's to say that person won't be gone in two years as well?

Navarre Trojan
12-12-2007, 03:30 PM
not only to the recruits and the access to them at his camp, but what about our staff? More tough decisions for them. Each of them, if asked, will have to make a tough call. Again, it isn't always about money, but sometimes it is and about moving up in the industry you've chosen.

Again, as 87 put it, isn't this what we all do in our lives, 'try to better ourselves'?

It's just a dog eat dog world out there and today, well, maybe we are milk bone underwear! It will get better, soon. We just have to weather the storm, take care of our commitments, contact them, tell them that we are all good, and hope they can all get here. BTW, with the Todd kid, I am not sure (1) Auburn has a scholarship for him and (2) if he can get enrolled in time for January. Maybe that doesn't matter, but one thing is for sure that Larry Blakeney does, he always holds back a little scholarship here and there to make sure these Mid-year guys are taken care of. This might be another chance for Troy to keep this recruit coming into Troy. I hope so.

Troy_Nomad
12-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Finally a thread where there is actually level headed discussion about this topic. I am still one of the few holding out hope that he stays here one way or another. This season has taught me, among other things, to assume nothing. Anything can and will happen. My younger brother is a student at Auburn and I was talking to him about all of this last night when I realized that despite all of the talk about lack of money, Sunbelt conference, facilities, this stuff happens everywhere. The reasons for coaches leaving may be different but the result is the same. As he was keeping his fingers crossed that they would get Franklin, he was also holding his breath hoping they would keep Muschamp. Every school that has success risks losing their coaches. The alternative is what we had in '05 where nobody wanted our coaches. Unfortunately that is usually accompanied by a 4-8 season. I told my brother that as bad as I wanted TF to stay, it was a good sign of the progress that Troy has made that almighty Auburn was coming in trying to steal our OC. We have a roster full of talented players that will not be transferring to Auburn and I believe that they are capable of winning this conference with or without TF. I hate to see him go, but I am very appreciative of all that he did for this program in his short time here.

On a side note, LB should have told Tubberville that he would grant him permission to talk with TF on one condition....

put us on the schedule.

ThePowerMan
12-12-2007, 03:45 PM

On a side note, LB should have told Tubberville that he would grant him permission to talk with TF on one condition....

put us on the schedule.

Best thing that has been said. I think alot of what TF has brought to Troy. He has put us on the map. Most all of the Sports World Media know where Troy is at now. I wish TF would stay at Troy but I do have confidence that LB will keep us on the right path. He got us here.

Discophobia
12-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Yea...but as soon as we get a big deal in the football world that we can afford, what's to say that person won't be gone in two years as well?

Hey that is two more years we dont have right now. The key issue is our conference and what we pay our coaches. Both are pathetic! I trust LB and we will not go back to the Fleetwood days. This stinks for recruiting, however it could be worse, what if he left next summer. A glass is either half empty or half full......I like mine half full.

trojanbrutha
12-12-2007, 03:53 PM
If he does leave, I don't think it'll be because of the money. Maybe the BCS options and more bowl chances (Nat. Champ). From the money he makes from consulting and the camps, I just don't see money being the end-all...

Nice Trojan
12-12-2007, 05:04 PM
If he does leave, I don't think it'll be because of the money. Maybe the BCS options and more bowl chances (Nat. Champ). From the money he makes from consulting and the camps, I just don't see money being the end-all...

Not to mention he gets to showcase his offense in the SEC, and more than likely on national TV every other week.

ThePowerMan
12-12-2007, 06:06 PM
I think he'll leave for the money. More than likely he would be making more that LB. I think Borges made in the $250k range. It's not a moral or allegiance issue. LB brought in TF to help him return to something he loves. We all knew that he wouldn't be here forever and neither will any other stand-out, successful coach. There is no way that we can compete with the Big BCS teams that want our coaches. He's not exactly selling out to the devil. (Although some would beg to differ there). LB is doing what any great head coach would do........pick out a coach with great potential and make them winners. He has done the same with our talented group of players,too. Not all of them are 2, 3, 4, or 5 Star players. These are just guys with great potential that LB can develop into super players. That's what is great about LB. I think the roof stays intact as long as LB is around.