PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Franklin faces hard decision (Messenger)

ksdtrojan
12-12-2007, 07:10 AM
Opinion: Franklin faces hard decision

Bobby Mathews, The Messenger

Should he stay or should he go? That's the dilemma facing Troy University offensive coordinator Tony Franklin right now.

Franklin is the architect of the Trojans' spread offense - a scheme he's been dying to try in the SEC.

He's also the top candidate to replace Al Borges after the Tigers fired their OC Monday.

Franklin reportedly interviewed for the Auburn job Sunday.

I understand if Franklin wants to show off his considerable talents on a national stage.

I also understand that Troy doesn't pay its assistant coaches well enough to keep them around for any significant length of time. Many assistants come to Troy for the experience. After that, they head to greener pastures where they don't have to squeeze the administration for the dollars they want.

But Tony Franklin needs to remember that Troy gave him another chance as a coach at the Football Bowl Series level after Franklin was forced out at Kentucky.

Whether you believe Franklin was Hal Mumme's scapegoat or not, here's the fact: Franklin was laboring as a high school coach when Troy offered him a job a little more than two years ago.

Franklin has done wonders at Troy, implementing an offense that not everyone can utilize. It's understandable that with the Trojans' back-to-back successful years, Franklin has suddenly become a hot name among offensive coordinators.

But there are pluses to staying at Troy.

Franklin runs the offense - period. He understands the spread the way few people do. Troy coach Larry Blakeney gives Franklin that freedom - and lots more.

Money's not everything. Franklin has a child who's a senior at Charles Henderson High School. He's made a difference in this community, just by helping the Trojans become successful at the highest level of college football.

But let's be realistic: Franklin stands to probably make double his annual salary at Troy. He can showcase his offense regularly on national television. Recruiting at Auburn is easier.

Will loyalty win out over those factors? I'd like to think so. But the realist in me knows that sometimes the money is just too good - sometimes the challenge is just too tempting. Sometimes you have to take the chance and go for it.

Whatever Franklin decides, he's been a huge help to Troy in the past two seasons. The Trojans will be able to find another good offensive coordinator, should they need to.

Personally, I think he's gone ... The opportunity at Auburn may just be too great. But I've been wrong before. I hope this is one of those times.

Sports editor Bobby Mathews can be reached at 670-6315 or bobby.mathews@troymessenger.com

Ace
12-12-2007, 09:14 AM
the print version of this story says Franklin was in the NIFL, whatever that was. that's even more obscure than high school, IMO.

ksdtrojan
12-12-2007, 09:17 AM
the print version of this story says Franklin was in the NIFL, whatever that was. that's even more obscure than high school, IMO.
I think he coached one year with that team from NIFL.

Ace
12-12-2007, 09:34 AM
and then was hired at Troy, right?

some days the Mess has something worth reading. who knew?

ksdtrojan
12-12-2007, 10:22 AM
and then was hired at Troy, right?

some days the Mess has something worth reading. who knew?
Actually I think he was a couple years removed from that team and was strictly working his consulting business before coming to Troy.