PDA

View Full Version : If Tony Franklin goes to Auburn....

ksdtrojan
12-11-2007, 10:40 PM
do you realize that our two of our former offensive and defensive coordinators would face each other in the Chick-fil-A Bowl?

trojanbrutha
12-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Well, we did visit Tracy Rocker earlier this year...

ksdtrojan
12-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Well, we did visit Tracy Rocker earlier this year...
Yes, this is true.

trojanbrutha
12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
According to Drew, nothing has been determined yet...

Blakeney on Trojan Talk

He said coach Tommy Tuberville of Auburn called to request permission to speak with Tony Franklin Sunday, and believed that they talked shortly thereafter.

That’s all he really knows; he figures Tuberville is going through his process, but Blakeney still hasn’t heard the official word on if Franklin will become the OC at Auburn.

So, officially, nothing has changed. Of course, everyone is talking about Franklin being the guy at AU. The sooner it comes out one way or the other, the better for everyone.

Posted in by Drew Champlin on 12/11 at 07:25 PM

next:

In Wednesday’s Dothan Eagle

If you’re wondering “where that story is from that lazy Troy beat writer,” we’re running Collin Mickle’s story with some of the Troy quotes I gave him. As I said, we’re Media General brotherhood.

Now, when/if it gets confirmed that Tony Franklin is going to Auburn, then I’ll have some more in-depth Troy stuff.

Posted in by Drew Champlin on 12/11 at 10:12 PM

TroyFirst
12-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Thatís all he really knows; he figures Tuberville is going through his process, but Blakeney still hasnít heard the official word on if Franklin will become the OC at Auburn.

I don't understand. Wouldn't LB be part of the process and make some sort of counter offer? Would they let him leave without at least understanding what he is being offered and trying to negotiate for him to stay?

vosottroy
12-12-2007, 01:45 AM
what a BCS school can pay him. We all know that. If I'm correct (and please correct me if I'm wrong) Blakeney makes a base salary of just under $300,000 a year as a head coach. Al Borges made OVER $300,000 a year as an assistant/coordinator at Auburn. If Franklin can make that kind of money and continue his clinics and consulting, why would he not look at the job? I know we all want him to stay, but he has been in the SEC before. I didn't (and hopefully the rest of Trojan Nation didn't) expect him to retire with us. Sure, I would have liked to have had him for 5 years or more, but with the popularity of the spread offense right now and his immediate success at Troy, his stock has risen high and quickly!!!

NWFLTrojan
12-12-2007, 08:02 AM
It sure looks like he is going to AU. But then again, wasn't it a done deal that Tubberville was going to Arkansas? That didn't turn out exactly like the rumor mill suggested.

I have become cautiously optimistic over the past 12 hours. Reading the AU boards it is clear that they are a two back, run first university and that seems to be the mindset of Tubberville and the alumni.

First of all, will Tubberville allow TF to have full reigns to do as he wishes. The AU board does not think he will. It is my understanding that this is something TF requires.

Will the alumni (or Lowder) be satisfied with a pass first offense? Will they accept top athletes who are there that will not fit into the system leaving? What will they do with all of those running backs?

LB and Troy were willing to scrap 15 years of offense and a run first attitude because it was not and had not worked in several years. Will AU be so willing to do so?

I kind of get the feeling that this is the Arkansas/ Mitch Mustain (is that his name) fiasco again. A running university making the switch in perception only. I wonder if 10 months from now when the 2008 season begins, TF gets a 1/2 of a game to operate his offense before Tubberville steps in and tells him to run more. Or will it be more akin to Nebraska and Callahan? Where even with the time to bring in the athletes to run the show, it never works. How will the Auburn faithful react when they line up in the shotgun for a fourth and 1 situation on the goal line? What will they do if the play fails?

All we know right now is that AU has interveiwed TF. That it is a pay increase, more national exposure, bigger stage for his show, and generally a better job. We know that AU needs an offensive coordinator by Friday and there are only so many coaches who are available....

But, it is Wednesday and he interviewed on Sunday. Hopefully both sides are doing some soul searching. Is TF willing to give up total control and job security? Is Tubberville willing to give up control and is he willing to make a drastic change in Runningback U's offensive philosophy?

I guess we shall know today.

Buzz Lightyear
12-12-2007, 08:42 AM
A good deal of comments on the Auburn situation with TF. A good many of the comments have been a little over the top. It has been a black December and since no bowl and loss of commitments and this. Truth is that TF this year or next or any year will have tons of offers we can not match. Oh we can make a try but we can not match the teams with 90000 fans in their stands. TF will have other offers if not this one...........He has a good plan and he can recruit some folks to run it. I am down as well and when you are hurt you sometimes say things you might regret.....(sound familiar to anyone married) well my point is I am sure everyone here is a Troy fan and will be. Good luck to TF no matter where he is......thanks for bringing Omar here and thanks for getting us further aimed in the right direction........Good luck and Godspeed........by being gracious in the face of defeat or loss our program will continue to grow and has a better chance at becoming known as a program with class.........the fan base will grow and we will have less of this problem in the future.......thanks LB for bringing him here......

ksdtrojan
12-12-2007, 09:13 AM
A good deal of comments on the Auburn situation with TF. A good many of the comments have been a little over the top. It has been a black December and since no bowl and loss of commitments and this. Truth is that TF this year or next or any year will have tons of offers we can not match. Oh we can make a try but we can not match the teams with 90000 fans in their stands. TF will have other offers if not this one...........He has a good plan and he can recruit some folks to run it. I am down as well and when you are hurt you sometimes say things you might regret.....(sound familiar to anyone married) well my point is I am sure everyone here is a Troy fan and will be. Good luck to TF no matter where he is......thanks for bringing Omar here and thanks for getting us further aimed in the right direction........Good luck and Godspeed........by being gracious in the face of defeat or loss our program will continue to grow and has a better chance at becoming known as a program with class.........the fan base will grow and we will have less of this problem in the future.......thanks LB for bringing him here......
Well said! I agree!

btdt
12-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Dont know if anyone else caught this, but I was listening to the Phil Paramore show this morning, and Phil said that he talked with LB last night and he said that it was not a done deal as of then, and that it comes down to $$. He said that he does not know if TF will go to AU or not, and that Tubberville was interviewing other people, but that either way he knows he will not be able to keep TF long, and that Troy has been preparing for this for two years, and that they will promote from within. My guess is that it is just a matter of ironing out the details with TF camps and such, and, giving him contol of recruits and the offense totally.

Navarre Trojan
12-12-2007, 09:36 AM

with programs that have 1/3 of that - 30K!! WE can't get 18K to the Championship Game! and people want to know why coaches aren't loyal! WOW! How dumb does that make those on this board look?

Just a trojan
12-12-2007, 10:06 AM
the very best of luck.

ksdtrojan
12-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Dont know if anyone else caught this, but I was listening to the Phil Paramore show this morning, and Phil said that he talked with LB last night and he said that it was not a done deal as of then, and that it comes down to $$. He said that he does not know if TF will go to AU or not, and that Tubberville was interviewing other people, but that either way he knows he will not be able to keep TF long, and that Troy has been preparing for this for two years, and that they will promote from within. My guess is that it is just a matter of ironing out the details with TF camps and such, and, giving him contol of recruits and the offense totally.
Who on this staff will get the promotion? Any guesses.

TSU1997
12-12-2007, 10:54 AM
AU is been a successful program but have no NATION CHAMPIONSHIP to show. Times have changed and the board at AU should realize it. The running game alone don't win the BIG ONE... You have got to spread the field to give playmakers a chance to make plays..This system is designed to do just that. I think TF system will be a good fit at a big time program that can play defense. It is proven success, just look at all the schools that run the spread. They have no problem scoring points, they just don't play defense. AU defense is one of the top in the country fi they install TF system they will be a pretty good football team next year I hate to see TF leave Troy but we have to move on. Hopefully LB can find a replacement that have the same system the TF use to keep the points coming...3 yards and a cloud of dust just isn't getting it done any more.

Trojan2003
12-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Who on this staff will get the promotion? Any guesses.

IMHO, Shayne Wasden...

troysigmachi08
12-12-2007, 11:03 AM
IMHO, Shayne Wasden...

I think Wasden would do a good job. I played against his Eufaula teams in high school and they were damn good. They were amazingly well coached and well prepared. He definitely got the most talent out of his players that was possible.

TrojanEmpire
12-12-2007, 11:05 AM
I think Wasden would do a good job. I played against his Eufaula teams in high school and they were damn good. They were amazingly well coached and well prepared. He definitely got the most talent out of his players that was possible.

how about jack pardee? mouse davis?