PDA

View Full Version : Franklin's Replacement

O2MAN
12-11-2007, 05:45 PM
OK lets start the fun. Who do we get to take Tony's place? I say keep it in house and promote Wasden or one of the other guys. I just hope we do not lose anybody else.
By the way I hope the Aub's are ready for a shotgun formation on the goal-line.

cheapguy2006
12-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Al Gore, he invented Global Warming, he can invent an offense.

The Red Wave
12-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Al Gore, he invented Global Warming, he can invent an offense.

Don't forget he invented the internet!

Hemi Man
12-11-2007, 05:51 PM
I know some people on here hate Rush Propst, but that is one name that comes to mind. Just not sure about his off the field activity.

cheapguy2006
12-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Don't forget he invented the internet!

That too!!

Troy91
12-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Didn't Franklin bring in a guy from the Atlanta area that ran the same offense at a High School there? We need somebody who knows this offense....

42kdad
12-11-2007, 05:56 PM
I know some people on here hate Rush Propst, but that is one name that comes to mind. Just not sure about his off the field activity.

Was on Wjox in Bham this afternoon. He was speaking very highly of Franklin, LB and Troy. He said he would love to have the job. Since my son has to play against Hoover schools in football, of course I don't like him, but he does know the offense. He might could be an offensive position coach who would bring a knowledge of the spread option offense. I just don't see it happening for him to go from high school coach to d1 OC overnight.

Trojan2003
12-11-2007, 06:04 PM
OK lets start the fun. Who do we get to take Tony's place? I say keep it in house and promote Wasden or one of the other guys. I just hope we do not lose anybody else.
By the way I hope the Aub's are ready for a shotgun formation on the goal-line.

Wasden, Schlarman, etc. might follow Tony Franklin to Auburn.

Candidates?

1. Chris Hatcher (HC, Georgia Southern)

2. Dana Holgorsen (OC/Inside Receivers, Texas Tech)

He is TT's OC but Mike Leach has full control of the offense. Holgorsen would be a "real" OC at Troy and he knows Chris Todd.

Holgorsen was the quarterbacks and receivers coach at Mississippi College in Jackson, Miss., from 1996-98. MC won the 1997 American Southwest Conference in its first season in the league and averaged 432 yards per game.

Holgorsen's coaching ties with Red Raider head coach Mike Leach began at Valdosta State University in Georgia. With Leach serving as the offensive coordinator, Holgorsen coached in a variety of positions, including quarterbacks, receivers and special teams from 1993-96.

COACHING EXPERIENCE 2000- (Texas Tech University - Inside Receivers); 1999 (Wingate University - Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers); 1996-98 (Mississippi College - Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers/Special Teams); 1993-95 (Valdosta State University - (Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers/Special Teams).

troyfan
12-11-2007, 06:20 PM
How about hire Omar and Cattoose. Two great athletes who got shafted at the end. They will probably have a mean chip on their should and not sit on the ball at the end of the game but keep pounding down their throat. With of course the 2nd and 3rd teamers. Those two obviously know the system.

Troy91
12-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Not a bad idea....

Discophobia
12-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Probst would be a disaster. As big a Troy fan as I am I could not in all honesty recomend kids to play for him. He is a scumbag! We need someone that can keep the same type system, but can recruit. That was part of TF's beauty and that is something that a high school coach or a lesser known cant bring to the table. We need to go full bore! THIS IS A DEFINING MOMENT IN THIS PROGRAM, TF CAN BE REPLACED. DO WE GO FLEETWOOD OR DO WE GO BIG TIME!

TrojanSigmaChi84
12-11-2007, 08:02 PM
I think Omar would be a great idea. Never know he might bring more to the table than TF. Spice up TF's system a little bit. He has seen first hand the pros and cons of the system.

goe1975
12-11-2007, 08:06 PM
The train has come completely off the track. Oh the humanity!!!

Hemi Man
12-11-2007, 08:47 PM
The train has come completely off the track. Oh the humanity!!!

Well said.

Beamon Creek Monster
12-11-2007, 09:35 PM
I say hire Steve Campbell. He is currently the head coach at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College which just last week won a share of the Junior College National Championship. Steve was also the head coach at Delta State when they won the Division II national championship earlier this decade. He has been a coordinator at Middle Tennessee and a position coach at Mississippi State. He is also a Troy Alum. He was an offensive lineman on the 1987 national championship team.

Discophobia
12-11-2007, 09:44 PM
What type offense does he run? I dont see us going back to the power run days. I hope not, God I hope not. We must have someone that can recruit as well.

Beamon Creek Monster
12-11-2007, 09:49 PM
He runs an offense very similar to Urban Meyer with a little Rich Rodriguez. He likes to get in the Shot Gun, spread you out and run the triple option. The offensive line does a lot of zone blocking.

ksdtrojan
12-11-2007, 10:14 PM
I say hire Steve Campbell. He is currently the head coach at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College which just last week won a share of the Junior College National Championship. Steve was also the head coach at Delta State when they won the Division II national championship earlier this decade. He has been a coordinator at Middle Tennessee and a position coach at Mississippi State. He is also a Troy Alum. He was an offensive lineman on the 1987 national championship team.

He runs an offense very similar to Urban Meyer with a little Rich Rodriguez. He likes to get in the Shot Gun, spread you out and run the triple option. The offensive line does a lot of zone blocking.
Sounds good to me!

TU/JSU Fan
12-12-2007, 06:16 AM
I still like the Rush Propst idea... Why? I dont' know..Maybe I am just crazy (many of you would agree with that I am sure), but he is a great coach and knows the Xs and Os of this offense. Morals aside how many of you wouldn't want him?

As for him being a jerk? Many have said TF is the same way... Yelling, screaming, cussing, etc... It is part of a lot of people. RP and TF are said to be very similar in their coaching styles. The difference between them is that TF doesn't have a second family. Take that out and would you honestly not want RP?

Discophobia
12-12-2007, 07:44 AM
The biggest thing is while TF and LB came in with some baggage, they were not devisive. This guy would split the fan base from day one. Probst may be a winner on the field, but he has some serious off the field issues. I dont see him being a recruiting asset. He is too well known in this state and not in a good way. He would be a disaster. We need to go as big as our money will allow. While I am upset TF is leaving I wont cry if Rowell departs, I appreciate his service to his university, but it is time for a new dc.

FHBrian
12-12-2007, 08:56 AM
The biggest thing is while TF and LB came in with some baggage, they were not devisive. This guy would split the fan base from day one. Probst may be a winner on the field, but he has some serious off the field issues. I dont see him being a recruiting asset. He is too well known in this state and not in a good way. He would be a disaster. We need to go as big as our money will allow. While I am upset TF is leaving I wont cry if Rowell departs, I appreciate his service to his university, but it is time for a new dc.

I know the TW program hasn't taken off the way some had hoped but I think it would lose people with the hire of RP. I would have to think long and hard if I would renew my season tickets, donate for my seats, and donate to the TW. I would probably just come to all games as usual and get free tickets like most of the people I come with. I don't think he will be a canidate anyways. I hope we have moved up a level from him.

TU Rob
12-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Probst

I just don't see it happening for him to go from high school coach to d1 OC overnight.

Well, Dodge went from a high school coach to a Head Coach overnight. It wasn't very successful this year, but I think in a year or two he will have the Mean Green winning again. To me it makes much more sense to step into a coordinator/assistant coach position if you have been a successful high school coach. Like many have said, morals aside, Probst is a great coach. 5 State Championships from 1999 to 2005. And they made it to the final game in 2006. That type of success isn't just luck and having great athletes to work with.

I'm not sure if I would like RP to be on the staff, but for the players that were loyal to him and the players that have played against his teams, it could help a great bit in recruiting the Birmingham area. We already have a Hoover player in C. Williams. Having Probst somehow affiliated with the offense could be advantageous.

Trojan2003
12-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Probst
I'm not sure if I would like RP to be on the staff, but for the players that were loyal to him and the players that have played against his teams, it could help a great bit in recruiting the Birmingham area. We already have a Hoover player in C. Williams. Having Probst somehow affiliated with the offense could be advantageous.

I agree. Troy would receive more publicity and he is familiar with the spread offense; Hiring Propst would help recruiting. However, I prefer Chris Hatcher.

Beamon Creek Monster
12-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Chris Hatcher got an interview for the head job at Georgia Tech. There's no way he would take a demotion to an OC job. Another good name would be Joel Williams, the OC at Birmingham Southern. He was the OC at Foley High until this past season. He's coached at the college level before and runs a similar offense to Franklin.

playfailstoogain
12-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Chris Hatcher got an interview for the head job at Georgia Tech. There's no way he would take a demotion to an OC job. Another good name would be Joel Williams, the OC at Birmingham Southern. He was the OC at Foley High until this past season. He's coached at the college level before and runs a similar offense to Franklin.

Joel would be a fantastic guy to look at. He was the OC at Delta State before coming to foley - his offense is a franklin type offense.

TrojanWarrior418
12-12-2007, 11:36 AM
As we've seen these past two seasons the no-huddle, spread offense has worked wonders for us. I doubt we'll hire anyone that doesn't run that type of offfense.

NWFLTrojan
12-12-2007, 11:39 AM
I expect that a replacement will come from within the "Franklin System" family. Whether it is someone within or someone else that TF recommends.

Discophobia
12-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I expect that a replacement will come from within the "Franklin System" family. Whether it is someone within or someone else that TF recommends.

I agree, it would not shock me as odd as it sounds for TF to recommend his replacement to LB. I think this could and would be what goes down. Of course we will probably never hear about it.

FHBrian
12-12-2007, 01:18 PM
LB said on WJOX here on Bham that we would definetly keep the system, just with someone else running it.

42kdad
12-12-2007, 01:27 PM

I have a friend who is a coach at Hoover. He said TF visits Probst at the school all the time. I know some of it is recruiting talk but alot of it is due to the friendship.

Discophobia
12-12-2007, 01:30 PM
I have a friend who is a coach at Hoover. He said TF visits Probst at the school all the time. I know some of it is recruiting talk but alot of it is due to the friendship.

Ugh! No, No, No, This guy would be a disaster! It would not be worth any success on the field. He is Trouble and I disagree that becuase people know him he could recruit. Becuase people know him it would be harder to recruit!