PDA

View Full Version : Troy Franklin to Auburn?

Lowbrass
12-11-2007, 11:31 AM
WSFA just reported that Auburn's offensive coordinator Al Borges is retiring and that Auburn is looking to fill that spot very soon. The report is that Tony Franklin is there leading candidate to fill that spot. We have to hope this doesnt happen. We cant give one of our coaches to Auburn. They are the enemy.

TrojanGranger
12-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't blame Auburn for wanting a very good OC like Tony. I wouldn't blame Tony for going for the money Auburn would throw at him. They would probably double his salary. How many of you would turn down that offer? I'd LOVE for Tony to stay at Troy, but let's face reality here.

The Messenger
12-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah money's great and all but I hope he enjoys fickle (SEC) fans that will turn at the drop of a hat if unrealistic expectations (winning every game by two or three scores or a season being considered a failure if a certain game isn't won) aren't met. This is garbage.

Discophobia
12-11-2007, 12:36 PM
I think we could pick Fleetwood back up pretty cheap! Really, how much does TF make a year, just salary not with the camps? What kind of OF could we get for the amount of money we could spend without the extra money from a side gig like the camps.

TrojanEmpire
12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Yeah money's great and all but I hope he enjoys fickle (SEC) fans that will turn at the drop of a hat if unrealistic expectations (winning every game by two or three scores or a season being considered a failure if a certain game isn't won) aren't met. This is garbage.

Like us Troy fans aren't fickle.

troy4ever
12-11-2007, 12:48 PM
We may be fickle, but we're not as fickle as the SEC fans in the state of Alabama.

The Messenger
12-11-2007, 12:53 PM
We may be fickle, but we're not as fickle as the SEC fans in the state of Alabama.

Thank you.

troy4ever
12-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Your welcome.

TrojanEmpire
12-11-2007, 12:58 PM

Oh no? I seem to remember earlier this season that there were fans on here (not saying you)complaining that we were not beating our opponents by enough. Blaming coahes, etc. Sounds extremely fickle to me.

socrgoly25
12-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Oh no? I seem to remember earlier this season that there were fans on here (not saying you)complaining that we were not beating our opponents by enough. Blaming coahes, etc. Sounds extremely fickle to me.

You're picking out just a couple of people's opinions. Fickle in our case would be saying our team this year had a down year because we didn't go bowling and someone should be fired for it. I don't think anyone here thinks that.

TrojanEmpire
12-11-2007, 04:03 PM
You're picking out just a couple of people's opinions. Fickle in our case would be saying our team this year had a down year because we didn't go bowling and someone should be fired for it. I don't think anyone here thinks that.

No to be a wisenheimer.........So I imagined all those people wanting to fire Jeremy Rowell at various points this year?

socrgoly25
12-11-2007, 04:21 PM
No to be a wisenheimer.........So I imagined all those people wanting to fire Jeremy Rowell at various points this year?

Like I said, a couple of people's opinions don't really constitute the consensus opinion of everyone else. Hell, at one point last year, there were a couple of people who wanted to fire Franklin because his offensive system was a joke. The only reason I commented on this whole thing was because you made it seem that as a whole, everyone shared the same opinion, and you'd be wrong in that aspect.

TrojanEmpire
12-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Like I said, a couple of people's opinions don't really constitute the consensus opinion of everyone else. Hell, at one point last year, there were a couple of people who wanted to fire Franklin because his offensive system was a joke. The only reason I commented on this whole thing was because you made it seem that as a whole, everyone shared the same opinion, and you'd be wrong in that aspect.

My point is we act like Auburn, Alabama, etc. have the market cornered on fickle fans. I think some of us on here (not saying you) have this holier-than-thou attitude becuase we are an up and coming mid-major and we are not like everybody else. We have our fair share of fickle, obnoxious fans like everybody else. Some of them just don't post how they really feel on here because they wil be accused of not being a true "Troy fan" et al.

BMarkey
12-11-2007, 04:34 PM
I'll believe TF is gone when I read it frm Drew or hear it from Blakeney.

If he goes, I want to now exactly what Troy did to try to keep him. I hope it wasn't another handshake and best wishes.

Don't make the mistake, Tony. You'll be a piece of meat over there and if you don't work miracles in a season, your head will be on the block again.

John Smith
12-11-2007, 04:36 PM
He is not going to be a piece of meat...He was successful once in the SEC, he will be again. That is what we do here at Troy, we are a stepping stone for the bigger schools. Cant keep complaining every time we lose someone. He is a good coach, going to a bigger school. Just like Koening, Pelton and the rest of the staff we have lost the last couple of years. Time to find a replacement and go from there!

BMarkey
12-11-2007, 04:40 PM
In that league, every coach is meat. One year loved, the next hated. (Look at Zook.) The assistants are especially vulnerable.

So ... This is normal and expected and there is nothing we can do about it, and we should just shake hands with the guy and wish him all the best (at our expense)?

If so, this is the problem.

FLTroyPhan
12-11-2007, 04:41 PM
TF is not gonna be a piece of meat at Auburn any more than any other coach at an SEC school. Troy is a stepping stone for coaches and TF used his opportunity at Troy to showcase his offense. I cannot fault a person for trying to improve themselves by changing jobs. I would do the exact same thing if I were in his shoes. The OC position at Auburn is a huge step up from the OC position at Troy and I congratulate him and wish him well. Now Troy must do what Troy always does and go find another quality coach to replace him.

FLTroyPhan

BMarkey
12-11-2007, 04:43 PM
I would do the exact same thing if I were in his shoes.

It shows a general lack of integrity.

TrojanEmpire
12-11-2007, 04:45 PM
In that league, every coach is meat. One year loved, the next hated. (Look at Zook.) The assistants are especially vulnerable.

So ... This is normal and expected and there is nothing we can do about it, and we should just shake hands with the guy and wish him all the best (at our expense)?

If so, this is the problem.

Do we really want someone who doesn't want to be here to stay? If he wants to leave, let him leave. If he wants to stay, he can stay. He is not the second coming. He is just a (albeit exceptional) football coach.

FLTroyPhan
12-11-2007, 04:45 PM
no it doesnt, it shows that he has done an excellent job at Troy and his skills are being rewarded with a better position and more money at Auburn. Your personal attack on me isint warrented but expected.

BMarkey
12-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Fifteen whole posts and you're jumping for joy about a loss in coaching and recruiting.

Would you feel the same if this guy was in upper management of your company/store and left to go across the street to the competition?

TrojanEmpire
12-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Fifteen whole posts and you're jumping for joy about a loss in coaching and recruiting.

Would you feel the same if this guy was in upper management of your company/store and left to go across the street to the competition?

It happens all the time and usually everybody survives

FLTroyPhan
12-11-2007, 04:52 PM
listen, I have been a member here quite a while and have witnessed the personal attacks you seem to feel the need to pass along. They are uncalled for.

I am in the professional world as an executive and I see this every day. This is how business is conducted in the real world and it has NOTHING to do with a persons character. Tony Franklin is being rewarded for his outstanding coaching at Troy and I wish him well!

BMarkey
12-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Show them to me. At least I stand behind what I say, Mr. Hide Your name.

The fact that it's done in business does not make it ethical or justified. These kinds of issues are litigated all the time.

It's time for non-compete contracts in coaching. Troy's investment should be protected in some manner, or it will stepped on again and again.

John Smith
12-11-2007, 04:57 PM
PAY THE GUY THEN! How can we compete against big schools, when we pay our coaching staff low in our conference. and the last I checked, our conference is on the bottom. We cannot compete with Auburn. If any of us have an opportunity to move up in our job, we do it. He is about to get more money then our head coach. If anyone can tell me they would turn down 200,000 more dollars, they are lying.

TrojanEmpire
12-11-2007, 04:59 PM
PAY THE GUY THEN! How can we compete against big schools, when we pay our coaching staff low in our conference. and the last I checked, our conference is on the bottom. We cannot compete with Auburn. If any of us have an opportunity to move up in our job, we do it. He is about to get more money then our head coach. If anyone can tell me they would turn down 200,000 more dollars, they are lying.

You are absolutely right!

FoulPolePhenom
12-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Mr. Hide your name?? good one. But isn't that what internet message boards are for. Not having to reveal who you are and being able to talk freely about things. But BMarkey, you do seem to jump on people alot around here, especially people from other schools who make logical arguments.

FLTroyPhan
12-11-2007, 05:00 PM
I have never attacked you in this thread yet you have questioned my integrity, my knowledge of Troy based on my post count, and the fact I dont have my name listed is some how and indicator I am hiding?

Can a mod step in here please?

BMarkey
12-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Could you step across the street to your competitor (and we compete for any of the same kids today and will compete for them even more in the future) and not have just a bit of a bad taste in your mouth?

I understand your thoughts, but I couldn't do it. Maybe a place in the next town, or state ...

I guess I have a different sense of loyalty. I'll shut up about it.

TSUWhiner
12-11-2007, 05:05 PM
I feel that way about band directing..I could jump ship if I wanted to..just because other schools may pay 60-70K as an assistant..LOL I am with a good program..great team work..etc...I guess I have been a loyal person..some people dont seem so loyal..its about money...LOL maybe thats why I left Alabama!!! anyway..I hope TF stays..would be a super great loss! We can kiss LSU and OSU (potential wins) goodbye.

GET US OUT OF THIS CRAPPY @SS CONFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Smith
12-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Competitors??? We dont compete with Auburn and Alabama, we are in the Sun Belt Conference. There is no "rival" between Troy and Auburn. Tony Franklin has just recieved a promotion in the College Football world. And remember, as quick as the coaches are put on top, schools will knock them off, so let them get there money when they have the opportunity!

chipshot
12-11-2007, 05:09 PM
TF was in football hell until Troy rescued him. He was blackballed by football programs for his involvment in the Kentucky scandal because of his lack of loyalty to the institution. Whether deserved or not that was his reputation. LB (who understands scandal quite well) gave him a shot to put his offense on display on a national stage again. I was hopeful that, like LB, TF would show a little loyalty to the institution that gave him a second chance. I would understand completely if LB left after 16 years of service and loyalty to the institution that took a considerable chance on him in order to make some serious money. I wish TF well but his reputation for a lack of loyalty is cemented. Even in the corporate world, nothing reads worse than a resume that screams: I WILL LEAVE YOU HANGING WHEN YOU NEED ME THE MOST.

TU Rob
12-11-2007, 05:15 PM
I wish TF well but his reputation for a lack of loyalty is cemented. Even in the corporate world, nothing reads worse than a resume that screams: I WILL LEAVE YOU HANGING WHEN YOU NEED ME THE MOST.

Yep. That's always one of the areas that stands out on a resume. Several different jobs in just a few years is always a big red flag. Some folks view everything as a stepping stone to the next level. While some like to stay loyal and work their way to the top, others are looking for the big paycheck and will do anything to get to it.

chipshot
12-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Any word on Chris Todd's thoughts on this? He maybe Auburn's starter next year....just a thought

BMarkey
12-11-2007, 05:21 PM
I believe doing what he is (apparently) doing shows a lack of integrity. He owes Troy more than a "goodbye and I'm taking my recruits and summer camp with me" on the way out the door.

I said the same thing about Bolt when he left for a small raise.

Troy invested in these guys, especially in TF, who was wanted by no one else. He owes (owed) Troy more than a couple of years and a quick exit, especially during a critical recruiting period.

I guess this truly proves coaching is all about the money and no school should show any more care for a coach than his pay check. Blakeney seems to truly care for his assistants and staff, yet they are making a habit out of showing no respect for his humanity.

Those here who truly believe Troy cannot compete with Auburn, et al, should just go and root for the team those posters must truly care for.

I meant no personal offense to FLTroyPhan or any poster. I am sorry if my words were taken that way.

Hemi Man
12-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Competitors??? We dont compete with Auburn and Alabama, we are in the Sun Belt Conference. There is no "rival" between Troy and Auburn. Tony Franklin has just recieved a promotion in the College Football world. And remember, as quick as the coaches are put on top, schools will knock them off, so let them get there money when they have the opportunity!

Umm recruiting?

FLTroyPhan
12-11-2007, 05:22 PM
I understand the loyalty issue and in some instances I think loyalty is a big issue....but not for assistant coaches in college football. How can anyone on this forum fault TF for this move? He will more than likely at least double his income, take the offensive reigns at an SEC school, and perhaps if he proves his worth at Auburn make it to the head coaching ranks. None of us on this board know TF's personal situation regarding his family and their needs so faulting him is rediculous.

FlTroyPhan

Possum
12-11-2007, 05:23 PM
It's a done deal. Tony Franklin is going to Auburn. I guess Auburn's bottomless bank account strikes again.

DANG, I HATE AUBURN!!!

Oh and BAMA too!

SOTSButterfly
12-11-2007, 05:24 PM
As a person moving up in his career, I might wish him well.

However, as a Troy fan, I'm sad to see him go. And as an Alabama fan who really, really hates Auburn, I'm pissed they took him from us.

Trojan1998
12-11-2007, 05:24 PM
TF was in football hell until Troy rescued him. He was blackballed by football programs for his involvment in the Kentucky scandal because of his lack of loyalty to the institution. Whether deserved or not that was his reputation. LB (who understands scandal quite well) gave him a shot to put his offense on display on a national stage again. I was hopeful that, like LB, TF would show a little loyalty to the institution that gave him a second chance. I would understand completely if LB left after 16 years of service and loyalty to the institution that took a considerable chance on him in order to make some serious money. I wish TF well but his reputation for a lack of loyalty is cemented. Even in the corporate world, nothing reads worse than a resume that screams: I WILL LEAVE YOU HANGING WHEN YOU NEED ME THE MOST.

Auburn pays its assistant coaches the highest salaries in all of college football. Franklin would have to be an idiot not to go to Auburn if offered the job. And this gets him back to the SEC - a conference that I'm sure he didn't expect to have the opportunity to coach in ever again.

chipshot
12-11-2007, 05:27 PM
I do not blame him for splitting for more cash after only 2 years to the school that took a risk on him despite his reputation...I, deep down, expected it. Just wonder how much more cash. It troubles me that he is going to LB's alma mater. I will say publicaly what is buzzing around my office today: where does LB's loyalties really lie? LB has been great for Troy but this just smells to high heaven.

O2MAN
12-11-2007, 05:29 PM
How can you question LB's loyalties? 16 years of blood sweat and tears and you think he has something for Auburn.....give me a break.

Hemi Man
12-11-2007, 05:32 PM
I do not blame him for splitting for more cash after only 2 years to the school that took a risk on him despite his reputation...I, deep down, expected it. Just wonder how much more cash. It troubles me that he is going to LB's alma mater. I will say publicaly what is buzzing around my office today: where does LB's loyalties really lie? LB has been great for Troy but this just smells to high heaven.

Not sure what your trying to say, but I don't think you can question LB on his loyalty.

chipshot
12-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Out of the 119 1A schools you think its a coincedence that its LB's school, that he has been banned from by the NCAA, that lands TF? I do not. As I said I am a LB fan but who wouldnt help out their alma mater. As much as we love Troy because we went here ...LB holds that much love for Auburn. I do not blame him and he has been extremely loyal. Just interesting its Auburn thats all.

Troy87
12-11-2007, 05:42 PM
None of this has been officially announced yet. al.com has only said an announcement is expected, but in reality, it probably is a done deal.

That being said, if you look at the coaches that have come through Troy in recent years, I think what we are seeing is what Bear, Shug, Bobby Bowden, Bo Schembechler and other greats have done. LB is a coach that has the ability to find good potential assistants and make them better, while giving them a chance to prove themselves.

We've seen our coaches move on to bigger and better programs along the way, and I have confidence LB will find a successor to TF, that may have their own system that is as good or better. Not saying this is so, but I'm not looking at this as a complete loss if he does go to Auburn.

I think LB is a coach's coach, and I think ego is not his main philosophy in life. If he remains at Troy for a while longer, I suspect we will see other coaches pass through as they become capable at their jobs. Isn't that a great legacy to have?

Think of how many coaches were produced by Bear. How many will LB have produced along the way?

Troy87
12-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Out of the 119 1A schools you think its a coincedence that its LB's school, that he has been banned from by the NCAA, that lands TF? I do not. As I said I am a LB fan but who wouldnt help out their alma mater. As much as we love Troy because we went here ...LB holds that much love for Auburn. I do not blame him and he has been extremely loyal. Just interesting its Auburn thats all.

Nahhhhh! Auburn is bound and determined to improve an Offense that was 105th in the country. TF took us from the lower depths to a top 20 Offense. You can bet Tubby said, "I want that!" to Daddy Lowder, and Daddy pulled out the wallet and said "How much for the coach in the window?".

svenattroy
12-11-2007, 05:50 PM
I guess once again I have to be the voice of reason...

Tony Franklin and his offense will fit in quite nicely with Auburn and the quarterback they have next year, one Kodi Burns. He's very much a Pat White/Omar style quarterback that can run and throw...hence, the spread offense. You have to admit, this is a very smart move on ol' TT's part.

cheapguy2006
12-11-2007, 05:55 PM
I guess once again I have to be the voice of reason...

Tony Franklin and his offense will fit in quite nicely with Auburn and the quarterback they have next year, one Kodi Burns. He's very much a Pat White/Omar style quarterback that can run and throw...hence, the spread offense. You have to admit, this is a very smart move on ol' TT's part.

Smart? psssh. he saw $$$$ and is running with it.

This sucks more than went Bolt left for UAB, Koenning leaving for Clemson or any of the other coaches that have left for other programs. A) b/c its Ausuck and B) b/c TROY took a chance and saved his career.

The Messenger
12-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah it's smart but it also reaks of desperation. We're not good enough to play but our staff is good enough to hire?

Troy87
12-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah it's smart but it also reaks of desperation. We're not good enough to play but our staff is good enough to hire?

That's actually funny when you think about it.

chipshot
12-11-2007, 05:59 PM
"We're not good enough to play but our staff is good enough to hire?"

That would make a nice headline Messenger!

NWFLTrojan
12-11-2007, 06:05 PM
I will say publicaly what is buzzing around my office today: where does LB's loyalties really lie? LB has been great for Troy but this just smells to high heaven.

I do not think LB arranged for TF to go to AU.

I am sure his loyalty is to himself and his family first and foremost (as it should be). This hurts him more than it hurts us (the fans). His career and his reputation as a coach is mostly defined by wins and losses. With TF he had more W's than any other time at D-1. Without TF he is begining all over again. His next two weeks will be living hell trying to find a replacement, reassure recruits, and answer calls from alumni. Some of you said you couldn't sleep last night, I bet he wont sleep for a week.

He would not have done all of this to help AU or any other school.

troyfan
12-11-2007, 06:07 PM
"We're not good enough to play but our staff is good enough to hire?"

That would make a nice headline Messenger!

My thoughts exactly. I would have never expected Auburn to even look our way because they think we are such a lower tiered team. They think we are from a third world country or something.

Hemi Man
12-11-2007, 06:11 PM
My thoughts exactly. I would have never expected Auburn to even look our way because they think we are such a lower tiered team. They think we are from a third world country or something.

Their fans do I doubt the people higher up don't feel that way.

troyfan
12-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Their fans do I doubt the people higher up don't feel that way.

Then why not put us on the schedule? Had they played Troy in 2004 instead of whatever 1-AA team they played, then they could have a legitimate argument for the National title. The 2 teams that played in the title game beat all 1-A opponents. Auburn made its bed now they will have to lie in it. Just freaking schedule TROY!

Hemi Man
12-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Higher ups know they can lose to Troy. Their fans seem to think that would never happen.

TroyFirst
12-11-2007, 06:38 PM
LB will also have to schedule a summer camp from scratch, right? How can that be done with a small staff and nothing to fall back on? Does Troy even have contacts with the high schools to promote the camp? Remember the comments about the camp a few years ago? Not too good.

I hope TF shared his camp system, database and all that with Troy.

It might end up costing Troy more in loss of stature, money to set up a camp, and recruits than it would have been to pay TF what he wanted.

This is a real mess. What is LB says "to hell with it" and walks, too?

How did we go from the best days in our program on Dec. 22, 2006, to a great SunBelt year, beating Big 12 team and conference championship ... to this?

Has any team risen so far and dropped so quickly in such a short time?

Now we are going to see the mettle of Dennis, Blakeney and Hawkins.

chipshot
12-11-2007, 06:56 PM
All of those recruits that were looking at Troy because of the offense are now probably gone without a substantial OC signing. For everyone that thinks Auburn isnt competing with Troy its time to wake up. Competition at this level begins in the recruits' homes. Auburn is smart enough to see two things: 1) talent was coming to its little brother to the south and 2) it will eventually have to play lil bro or be exposed as cowards. The argument has always been if Auburn or Bama plays Troy it will hurt their recruiting by legitimizing our program. So they have nothing to gain but everything to lose. However, with Franklin we were going to cut into their recruiting base because of the high powered style of play and force a confrontation. So they sign franklin and take away Troy's advantage and talent grap for the time being. Now they take a miserable offense and turn it into a high powered offense and destroy Troy's recruiting class. Its a win-win for Auburn and kills Troy. LB (if he stays) and SD must find an OC that recruits will believe can continue this scheme and a DC that can manage to only give up 350 yards a game.

Discophobia
12-11-2007, 07:59 PM

Man I am a LB koolaide drinker, and that is just crap. I know LB played QB for Aubbie but why would he be more loyal to a program that left him holding the bag in the Ramsey scandel? LB is a Troy man and his loyalty is with the program that pays his check, however so meager!

goe1975
12-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Holy S**t!!! Holy F***ing S**t!!! LOOKS LIKE ITS TIME TO PASS AROUND THE KOOLAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chipshot
12-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Make no mistake LB took the bullet (by accepting personal responsiblity for the institution's systematic paying of players) bc it was his alma mater and his love for that program. Cant dispute his loyalty to Auburn was proven then and there. Troy gave him a chance when he was just about unmarketable. He has been loyal. But I do not think its unreasonable to wonder; how loyal. Would he do the same for Troy here and now? He is the best coach in our history but Auburn is his alma mater. Just find it suspicious Auburn signed TF. I, for one, will be very interested as to what Troy offered TF to stay and what the actual contract at Auburn guarantees.

Discophobia
12-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I am curious as to what TF was offered and what his contract at Aubbie will be.

NWFLTrojan
12-11-2007, 08:35 PM
I hope that the University does everything it can between now and Friday to keep TF. I know LB is doing everything he can.

It is offensive to insinuate that LB is a Tiger in Trojan clothing. He has nothing to do with TF possibly going to Auburn and no one should be suggesting that he does.

ksdtrojan
12-11-2007, 08:37 PM
I hope that the University does everything it can between now and Friday to keep TF. I know LB is doing everything he can.

It is offensive to insinuate that LB is a Tiger in Trojan clothing. He has nothing to do with TF possibly going to Auburn and no one should be suggesting that he does.
Agreed!!!!

chipshot
12-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Your are right it would be stupid to believe someone that was willing to risk his college coaching career by accepting personal responsiblity for paying players for his alma mater would do such a thing. What was I even speculating about? I apologize.

TroyFootball05
12-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Tyler Adetona's De-Commitment and Tony Franklin's move to Auburn are more than a coincidence???

NWFLTrojan
12-11-2007, 08:43 PM
"It is better to stay silent and have people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and prove them correct."

I do not know who that quote is attributed to, but some on this board should take heed.

chipshot
12-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Those in the third grade often had a quote that has proved later in life to be more than often correct; "Those who spoke it, broke it." When LB commented tonight on Trojan talk "I hope nobody thinks I have ANYTHING to do with this" well he spoke it....wonder if he broke it. For those of you who are kool-aid drinkers you may need a big cup to choke down the reality of what just happened and by whom.

ksdtrojan
12-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Those in the third grade often had a quote that has proved later in life to be more than often correct; "Those who spoke it, broke it." When LB commented tonight on Trojan talk "I hope nobody thinks I have ANYTHING to do with this" well he spoke it....wonder if he broke it. For those of you who are kool-aid drinkers you may need a big cup to choke down the reality of what just happened and by who.
I don't buy it and I am drinking Mountain Dew!

TroyFootball05
12-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Those in the third grade often had a quote that has proved later in life to be more than often correct; "Those who spoke it, broke it." When LB commented tonight on Trojan talk "I hope nobody thinks I have ANYTHING to do with this" well he spoke it....wonder if he broke it. For those of you who are kool-aid drinkers you may need a big cup to choke down the reality of what just happened and by who.

I don't believe so. Besides, right now it's, only 98% in the works, we wont know 100% untill friday. I do think Adetona may have flown the coup after hearing early news that his O-Coach was fleeing. It's good reason, if someone recruits you and then leaves, that's pretty lame.

chipshot
12-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Well I hope you guys are right. I just wonder if Drew (Dothan Eagle) will ask the tough questions including the tough follow-ups after the boiler plate responses to get to the heart of the matter. Maybe a FOI request for records to see what is or isnt there. Telling you guys it smells....heck LB all but acknowledged how bad it smells on the show.

Hemi Man
12-11-2007, 09:06 PM
You are one negative guy. You will make a good ex-wife for somebody.

chipshot
12-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Negative? call it realism.... We are LB's second wife (using your wife reference) Auburn was his first wife...she died...guess where he will be buried....

TUrocks
12-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Make no mistake LB took the bullet (by accepting personal responsiblity for the institution's systematic paying of players) bc it was his alma mater and his love for that program. Cant dispute his loyalty to Auburn was proven then and there. Troy gave him a chance when he was just about unmarketable. He has been loyal. But I do not think its unreasonable to wonder; how loyal. Would he do the same for Troy here and now? He is the best coach in our history but Auburn is his alma mater. Just find it suspicious Auburn signed TF. I, for one, will be very interested as to what Troy offered TF to stay and what the actual contract at Auburn guarantees.

Yeah.....you're right.......LB didn't want TF around.....he cares more about Auburn than his own program at Troy.......LB couldn't stand the possibility of the recruiting gains from all of TF's camps.....you know.....I think he was so miserable scoring more than 7 points a game, that I'll bet he's on the phone trying to get Fleetwood back. I'll bet he erased the offensive clinic of the Oklahoma State game from all of his videotape and went back to the archives this past week and pulled out those awesome offensive spectacles against the likes of New Mexico State from years ago......shoot, I'll bet he's already rehashed his playbook to third and long and run it up the gut.......salivating at the chance to dump off TF to Auburn.

BTW......LB has absolutely nothing to do with whatever money Troy offers (if any) to TF to stay, unless his advice was asked graciously by the board of trustees.

Man alive......it's business against a bigger corporation that could pay more and the man has family and livelihood to think about. I don't think we need to even know what Troy offered (if any) or what Auburn's contract guarantees......I think we all have the idea that there's no contest. Anyone on this board would take the money and prestige if offered. As much as some of you don't want to admit it, Auburn does get more press and recognition than Troy.

Every once in a while you get someone who's loyal and doesn't just look for the money or prestige (could LB fit into that category??? If so, aren't we lucky we have one person like that in the head coaching position???), and those are usually pretty special people, but TF has been at Troy for two years.....worked hard....did his job....and is now being recognized for it. He owes no further loyalty to Troy.

The hard reality is once again....we are beaten by the payout and the prestige. More bumps on the road to where we are trying to get to that we will overcome.

TrojanEmpire
12-11-2007, 09:10 PM
okayyyyyyyy

let's just all calm down. he is just a football coach, not a god like Saban

Hemi Man
12-11-2007, 09:11 PM
i'm not going to argue with you, but I will say this, If your first wife poisoned you and shot you in the back would you really be loyal to her?

chipshot
12-11-2007, 09:14 PM
welcome to reality we have a coach that at his age it will take a miracle for another D1A school to hire because its Board of Trustees will never allow only a 3-5 year stint for a coach who has previously admitted to paying players. He is however a great coach. He has been with this program for 16 years I just believe we are the second wife. BTW, anyone famliar with the RSA's drop plan may find it interesting the rumor is LB entered it 2 years ago along with Hawkins.

chipshot
12-11-2007, 09:15 PM
You assume he didnt take the poison pill voluntarily to save the program.

NWFLTrojan
12-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Make no mistake LB took the bullet (by accepting personal responsiblity for the institution's systematic paying of players) ...

Maybe, just maybe, he took responsibility for what he did at Auburn because he is a man of character. Maybe he did what we would all hope we would do and should do. That is fess up to what we did wrong, accept the punishment, and try to better ourselves.

Yes I see him through rose colored glasses because I know the man. I know his character and I trust him. I guess that is obvious by my posts.

However, it is equally obvious that you have some issues with him and seem intent on spreading speculation and conjecture.

Trojan2003
12-12-2007, 01:19 AM
I found this post on al.com's Auburn board:

ahsgradaufan: "Just heared...Auburn is getting a juco qb that Franklin will bring with him."

playfailstoogain
12-12-2007, 01:44 AM
Negative? call it realism.... We are LB's second wife (using your wife reference) Auburn was his first wife...she died...guess where he will be buried....

After reading your statements on this thead I can only conclude that you may in fact be more full of crap than the MTSU posters who regularly post on this board.

chipshot
12-12-2007, 08:50 AM
you sound just like the second wife would

chipshot
12-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Sorry, NWFLTrojan, I do not look through the world with rose colored glasses. As for speculation and conjecture, you seem to be full of it regarding my position on LB. I have always said LB has been great for the UNiversity. You and many more on here are just more concerned with kissing his backside than demanding answers to common sense questions. BTW I have previously touted his character on the board for taking the responsibility for his actions while at Auburn. But do not forget it was a lack of character that got him in that situation to begin with. We have all done things in past years that now as we have grown and matured would not even consider. Although not sure any of us would have paid players. I bet even he understands that will never be forgotten and he must continully prove himself. We all have burdens; thats his.

But even he has already acknowledged how bad this looks. Seems LB is much more of a realist than many of you.

TSU1997
12-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Guys when you write something on the board, go back and read it to see if it really makes sense to you. I know some of you are upset that TF is leaving (considering)..but this is all about business and feeding his family. You can cry that loyal stuff all you want but no one in this business is loyal to you. I hate to see TF go but the reality is MONEY talks and we/Troy just don't have it to pay OC the top $$$. If any of you received a call from Bill Gates about a position that would give you a $100K raise you wolud jump on it in a heart beat. LB is a smart man and he knows what he need now to keep Troy on the move. There are plenty coaches around who know TF system that can make the same happen at Troy that TF did.

chipshot
12-12-2007, 10:37 AM
so it makes sense to go California for an extra $100k? million for a house that costs 100k in troy...going to Auburn for an extra $100k makes sense but Gates' Cali job not so much...

TU Rob
12-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Sorry, NWFLTrojan, I do not look through the world with rose colored glasses. As for speculation and conjecture, you seem to be full of it regarding my position on LB. I have always said LB has been great for the UNiversity. You and many more on here are just more concerned with kissing his backside than demanding answers to common sense questions. BTW I have previously touted his character on the board for taking the responsibility for his actions while at Auburn. But do not forget it was a lack of character that got him in that situation to begin with. We have all done things in past years that now as we have grown and matured would not even consider. Although not sure any of us would have paid players. I bet even he understands that will never be forgotten and he must continully prove himself. We all have burdens; thats his.

But even he has already acknowledged how bad this looks. Seems LB is much more of a realist than many of you.

I seem to remember a quote from a few weeks ago when LB's name came up in a few rumor mills about HC openings in the south. I'm paraphrasing here, but basically LB said he was happy where he was, but would like more money for his assistants. Now I guess we all know why.

NWFLTrojan
12-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Chipshot, you have some serious issues that you need to resolve and I will leave our conversation at that.

Have a good day, although I am sure you will find something wrong with it.

SOTSButterfly
12-17-2007, 05:17 PM
I'll tell you what...

It sure is hard for me to wish Tony Franklin good luck when I'm sitting at work every day surrounded by Auburn fans who keep picking on me about him. Saying crap like, "We got your offensive coach, we're gonna take all your coaches! Troy's going to be nothing next year." etc. Makes me wanna puke.

TrojanWar
12-17-2007, 05:50 PM
so it makes sense to go California for an extra $100k? million for a house that costs 100k in troy...going to Auburn for an extra $100k makes sense but Gates' Cali job not so much...

Microsoft is not in California. It is in Washington.

trojanbrutha
12-17-2007, 05:59 PM

I understand about money being an influence, but I don't think that was the draw for TF...to coach in the $EC was his deal...consulting business and summer camps make the extra money from aubie a moot point...