PDA

View Full Version : Second Bowl for the Belt next year

Pcbtrojan
12-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Since the MAC & the I Bowl are so enamored with each other maybe we can all get the commish to get the MAC out of the GMAC Bowl. It's close to all conference teams so ticket sales shouldn't be an issue. 8)

svenattroy
12-03-2004, 10:27 PM
That's actually not a bad idea. Does anybody know how to contact the GMAC?

Troy93
12-03-2004, 10:29 PM
I have a better idea. Just win the conference next year & not go through this crap again.

tsufl
12-03-2004, 11:48 PM
I have a better idea. Just win the conference next year & not go through this crap again.
amen brother!

svenattroy
12-04-2004, 01:16 AM

A second bowl isn't just for us, its for the whole conference. What if troy does win the conference next year, and maybe North Texas has the same problem we do now. A second bowl tie in would be benefitial for the whole conference. We would get more money, more tv coverage, and more recruits!

Troy87
12-04-2004, 08:39 AM
That's one of the reasons it is so important for FAU and FIU to qualify for DI-A. That would give us 8 schools which certifies the conference. Without certification, we have no bowls.

MeanGreenTexan
12-04-2004, 09:17 AM

NOT GONNA HAPPEN :wink:

But seriously, I hope you guys get into a bowl. I haven't been on this board since last weekend and now am confused. Everyone last week thought the Indy bowl was a sure thing but now it looks like that's gone. Where is y'alls best shot at a bowl invite now?

BlueRaiderPride
12-04-2004, 10:00 AM

But seriously, I hope you guys get into a bowl. I haven't been on this board since last weekend and now am confused. Everyone last week thought the Indy bowl was a sure thing but now it looks like that's gone. Where is y'alls best shot at a bowl invite now?

Did you know that North Texas has yet to face Middle Tennessee without an experienced quarterback? MTSU returns more starters than any team in the Sun Belt next year. So, even though UNT will likely be the favorite to win next year going into the preseason, I want to know who UNT is going to get to step up for them at quarterback with Scott Hall graduating.

Someone with great ball-handling skills will have to be the one to hand it off all the time to Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas. My question is who will it be?

North Texas plays at Middle Tennessee in Week 2 of the season next year on September 10th which will mark this game as the earliest conference matchup in the history of Sun Belt football. That means, North Texas' new QB will have only be afforded one game's worth of experience before taking on a very experienced Middle Tennessee team in a key conference matchup and on the road no less. The last time UNT played at MTSU, North Texas escaped with a meage 5-point victory.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know UNT knows all about overcoming adversity. All I'm saying is that I like our chances next year of beating UNT, definitely more than any other and definitely moreso with Scott Hall out of there and without an adequate back-up without any collegiate playing experience.

Now if MTSU loses to North Texas again next season on our turf, then you may see Coach McCollum's days numbered. Next season will be his Trial by Fire that will make or break his future at MTSU.

BlueRaiderPride
12-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Since the MAC & the I Bowl are so enamored with each other maybe we can all get the commish to get the MAC out of the GMAC Bowl. It's close to all conference teams so ticket sales shouldn't be an issue. 8)

Don't forget, Mobile is a Sun Belt city as that is where the University of South Alabama is. Do not be surprised to see that bowl game in the Sun Belt's fold here in the near future.

MeanGreenTexan
12-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Well I don't want to take this up on Troy's board but.....

"Did you know that North Texas has yet to face Middle Tennessee without an experienced quarterback?" WRONG!!!- 2001- Freshman QB Scott Hall, result= UNT 24, Little Tennesse 21
2002- Freshman QB Andrew Smith, result = UNT 30, Little Tennesse 20.

Your QB theory doesn't hold water but I guess you need to grasp at whatever straw you can to keep hope alive with your declining performance in Sun Belt play. UNT's dominance streak will end someday (25 in a row!!) Troy is much more of a threat to knock off the Mean Green than Little Tennesse is. I really don't have time for this.... I have to book a flight and hotel for New Orleans...AGAIN :lol:

BlueRaiderPride
12-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Well I don't want to take this up on Troy's board but.....

"Did you know that North Texas has yet to face Middle Tennessee without an experienced quarterback?" WRONG!!!- 2001- Freshman QB Scott Hall, result= UNT 24, Little Tennesse 21
2002- Freshman QB Andrew Smith, result = UNT 30, Little Tennesse 20.

Your QB theory doesn't hold water but I guess you need to grasp at whatever straw you can to keep hope alive with your declining performance in Sun Belt play. UNT's dominance streak will end someday (26 in a row!!) Troy is much more of a threat to knock off the Mean Green than Little Tennesse is. I really don't have time for this.... I have to book a flight and hotel for New Orleans...AGAIN :lol:

You better bring the Sun Belt back a win over Southern Miss-ed!

Troy93
12-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Wow, MeanGreenTexan starting the smack talk way early. :wink: I think you guys play us in Troy next season. Something will have to give. You guys have not lost a conference game & we do not lose in the Gallery. Should be interesting. Wish we could've played this year, would've been great

My whole point on winning the conference was ment as a frustrated joke from this week. Win the conference, so we do not have to go through the same crap we have gone through this week. However, I do agree with svenattroy. I believe the Belt will get another Bowl tie-in next year. That's better for everyone.

MeanGreenTexan
12-04-2004, 10:45 AM
I'm serious in saying that I really want to see Troy in a bowl game this year. I've heard rumors that Sun Belt higher ups have said a second bowl tie in for next year is almost a done deal.

Troy93
12-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Let's keep our fingers crossed & hope that happens.

MeanGreen61
12-04-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey Blue Raider Pride, the quarterback larder at UNT certainly won't be empty. We've got a couple of good ones waiting their turn 8)

The TSL recruiting site on UNT red-shirt freshman quarterback Daniel Meager.

Daniel Meager is receiving interest from coast to coast literally. BYU, California, Virginia Tech, Purdue, and SMU are teams who have expressed serious interest. The Hokies wanted to see Meager in person, and he has decided to make the trip. Meager plans on making a cross-country trip, visiting all of the schools who are interested in him. An excellent athlete (4.5 40), he is the consummate dual threat
quarterback.

What the recruiting insider had to say about Meager

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/99952.html

Here's what they said about Soph Joey Byerly who's really a load to bring down when he keeps the ball & decides to run.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/45860.html

MeanGreen61
12-04-2004, 12:04 PM
"Did you know that North Texas has yet to face Middle Tennessee without an experienced quarterback?".

Blue Raider Pride the above statement is NOT ACCURATE. In 2002 Scott Hall was injured in the first game of the season and UNT beat the Raiders and won the New Orleans Bowl with Red-shirt freshman quarterback Drew Smith. Unfortunately Drew was killed in an auto accident just before this season opened.

badgerwolf
12-04-2004, 12:10 PM

Did you know that North Texas has yet to face Middle Tennessee without an experienced quarterback? MTSU returns more starters than any team in the Sun Belt next year. So, even though UNT will likely be the favorite to win next year going into the preseason, I want to know who UNT is going to get to step up for them at quarterback with Scott Hall graduating.

Someone with great ball-handling skills will have to be the one to hand it off all the time to Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas. My question is who will it be?

North Texas plays at Middle Tennessee in Week 2 of the season next year on September 10th which will mark this game as the earliest conference matchup in the history of Sun Belt football. That means, North Texas' new QB will have only be afforded one game's worth of experience before taking on a very experienced Middle Tennessee team in a key conference matchup and on the road no less. The last time UNT played at MTSU, North Texas escaped with a meage 5-point victory.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know UNT knows all about overcoming adversity. All I'm saying is that I like our chances next year of beating UNT, definitely more than any other and definitely moreso with Scott Hall out of there and without an adequate back-up without any collegiate playing experience.

Now if MTSU loses to North Texas again next season on our turf, then you may see Coach McCollum's days numbered. Next season will be his Trial by Fire that will make or break his future at MTSU.

Hey BRP and Mean Green -- Let it go; ASU, ULL, ULM, and Troy will battle for the conference championship next year with you guys watching from the sidelines!
LOL!!!!

Go SBC Football!!
:lol:

TrojanHoarse
12-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Since the MAC & the I Bowl are so enamored with each other maybe we can all get the commish to get the MAC out of the GMAC Bowl.

We really ought to do this! We are going to be denying North Texas their annual pilgrimage to New Orleans (until we get our BCS bowl invite), so we ought to throw them a bone and get them a trip to Mobile. Mobile's mardi gras isn't as large as New Orleans, but it's a decent town. 8)

MeanGreen61
12-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Since the MAC & the I Bowl are so enamored with each other maybe we can all get the commish to get the MAC out of the GMAC Bowl.

We really ought to do this! We are going to be denying North Texas their annual pilgrimage to New Orleans (until we get our BCS bowl invite), so we ought to throw them a bone and get them a trip to Mobile. Mobile's mardi gras isn't as large as New Orleans, but it's a decent town. 8)

A little trivia about the GMAC Bowl. (Arkstfan can articulate particulars). This bowl was originally to be the Sun Belt Conference bowl. Didn't happen when the conference had a delay in getting football off the ground. WW then was instrumental in getting the NO Bowl started.

MeanGreen61
12-04-2004, 12:46 PM
"Hey BRP and Mean Green -- Let it go; ASU, ULL, ULM, and Troy will battle for the conference championship next year with you guys watching from the sidelines!
LOL"!!!!

It would be nice to see some conference teams other than UNT and Troy step up. I can't remember the last time that ASU,ULL and ULM had a winning season :?:

arkstfan
12-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Very true.

Mobile wanted to pit Sun Belt vs. CUSA. At that time they were pushing the Belt hard to get football going with current members ASU, ULL, and La.Tech. The hope was that UNT, UCF, and ULM would put aside their differences and get the league off the ground. At the time MTSU was I-AA transitioning to I-A.

The organizers of the Mobile Bowl were so desperate (because without a conference champion they were going to have to have a stadium size waiver that was thought to be a 50-50 shot) that they were talking to FAMU, Jackson State, Grambling and Southern trying to get them to move to I-A in hopes that they could get them in the mix with the Belt schools to get a I-A league going.

From what I hear, Mobile won't be available as long as GMAC is the sponsor.

Short-term I think it is more likely that the Belt will put together a package and approach Ft.Worth and Houston about a deal to send a team to those bowls in the event that the Big 12 or SEC is short.

Troy87
12-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Well if GMAC dictates the bowl participants, maybe it's time for Movie Gallery to step up to a bowl sponsorship on a long-term basis, and they can dictate SB vs CUSA.

Pcbtrojan
12-04-2004, 05:38 PM
I wonder when the contract will be up with GMAC? 8)

svenattroy
12-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Well if GMAC dictates the bowl participants, maybe it's time for Movie Gallery to step up to a bowl sponsorship on a long-term basis, and they can dictate SB vs CUSA.

Indy needs a sponsor, and if Movie Gallery has enough money to buy another company, they should have enough to sponsor a bowl!!! :D

pkf4troy
12-04-2004, 06:32 PM
It would seem as if MG would have tried to work a deal to sponsor the Indy bowl this year....so we could get in. If this happened and they still snubbed us, screw the Indy Bowl!

BlueRaiderPride
12-05-2004, 06:03 AM
"Did you know that North Texas has yet to face Middle Tennessee without an experienced quarterback?".

Blue Raider Pride the above statement is NOT ACCURATE. In 2002 Scott Hall was injured in the first game of the season and UNT beat the Raiders and won the New Orleans Bowl with Red-shirt freshman quarterback Drew Smith. Unfortunately Drew was killed in an auto accident just before this season opened.

My bad. You're right. It's a shame about Andrew Smith. I certainly couldn't see us beating UNT next year with him as QB.