PDA

View Full Version : No Bowl?? That blows...

UNTJesse
12-03-2007, 01:26 PM
A bunch of 6-6 teams, many of whom had wins against teams of a lower caliber than the teams you guys beat, go to bowl games...and 8-4 Troy gets left out. What a load of crap. Find me another eligible team above .500 that didn't make a bowl game.

If people complain about a crappy game when these 6-6 teams play their bowls, they can blame the tie-in system. There should be a caveat that says 6-6 teams only go if there's not a team with an actual WINNING record waiting in the wings.

A couple of late games with different outcomes would have probably put you guys in place, but still, 8-4, and receiving some Top 25 votes the last few weeks (except this week) should get you SOMEWHERE.

Guess we'll see you next year, maybe we'll have a real game between us in the regular season ;)

Jesse

goe1975
12-03-2007, 01:56 PM
From an online article. This really puts it in black and white...(or should I say black and blue?):

There were 71 "bowl eligible" teams (at least six wins), with 64 slots in bowl games available. Two NCAA rules combine to make it unlikely, though possible, that a team with seven wins will be left out of a bowl game:

Bowl games that have a contract with a conference must select a team with at least seven wins if one is available.

Any bowl berths not already filled by contract must be filled by a team with seven wins before any spare 6-6 team can be accommodated.

This meant that seven bowl-eligible teams were not invited to a bowl: Troy from the Sun Belt was the most notable, finishing with a 8-4 record but with only one slot for said conference, lost to Florida Atlantic. Those 6-6 teams who were shut out were Louisville (Big East); Iowa and Northwestern from the Big Ten, MAC representatives Ohio and Miami (Ohio), South Carolina from the SEC, and fellow Sun Belt member Louisiana-Monroe.

FHBrian
12-03-2007, 02:00 PM
This meant that seven bowl-eligible teams were not invited to a bowl: Troy from the Sun Belt was the most notable, finishing with a 8-4 record but with only one slot for said conference, lost to Florida Atlantic. Those 6-6 teams who were shut out were Louisville (Big East); Iowa and Northwestern from the Big Ten, MAC representatives Ohio and Miami (Ohio), South Carolina from the SEC, and fellow Sun Belt member Louisiana-Monroe.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering what other teams, if any, above a 6-6 record didn't get in, but I was to depressed to take the time and research it.

Troy87
12-03-2007, 02:11 PM
This meant that seven bowl-eligible teams were not invited to a bowl: Troy from the Sun Belt was the most notable, finishing with a 8-4 record but with only one slot for said conference, lost to Florida Atlantic. Those 6-6 teams who were shut out were Louisville (Big East); Iowa and Northwestern from the Big Ten, MAC representatives Ohio and Miami (Ohio), South Carolina from the SEC, and fellow Sun Belt member Louisiana-Monroe.

I was wondering what other teams, if any, above a 6-6 record didn't get in, but I was to depressed to take the time and research it.

There were no teams with a winning record besides us, that did not go to a bowl game. All those listed above are 6-6, except Miami (OH), which finished 6-7 after losing the MAC championship game.

That means every other 7-5 team went to a bowl. All that were left at home were 6-6 teams, and of course us at 8-4.

Trojan1998
12-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Wright Waters and the Sun Belt administrators need to secure a second bowl tie-in for our conference (like the GMAC Bowl in Mobile) or Troy needs to get out of the Sun Belt altogether and into CUSA where we'll at least have access to six bowl slots. (We need to get that new basketball arena built ASAP, so that we can make a move.)

TU Rob
12-03-2007, 02:30 PM
There were 71 "bowl eligible" teams (at least six wins), with 64 slots in bowl games available. Two NCAA rules combine to make it unlikely, though possible, that a team with seven wins will be left out of a bowl game:

Bowl games that have a contract with a conference must select a team with at least seven wins if one is available.

Any bowl berths not already filled by contract must be filled by a team with seven wins before any spare 6-6 team can be accommodated.

Which is why you have the SEC with 9 bowl games, instead of the 6 or so it truly deserves.

LSU in the BCS Championship game allowed the SEC to fulfill its 8 conference tie-ins to bowls. Since LSU did not have to go to the Sugar, that opened the door for Georgia to play in the Sugar. Which set off a string of the other 7 SEC schools getting a bowl one better than they would have if LSU had gone to the Sugar. The only one I really have a problem with is Alabama getting into a bowl game. 6-6 record, 4-4 in the conference, and on a 4-game losing streak to end the season. Bama fans travel well, but I'm not sure they will want to be in Shreveport at 6-6 facing a 6-6 Colorado team. Does the Independence bowl have a requirement that it's two teams must be 6-6? Which brings up another point. If you are at risk of having a losing season if you lose the bowl game, should you really be in a bowl game? If there is going to be a 12 game season, then 7-5 should be the bar at which bowl-eligible is set. There are too many 6-6 teams in games purely based on conference contracts. If this had been done this year, Alabama would not be in a bowl. And if the SEC only had 6, which is plenty at 50% of the conference, either MSU or Kentucky would not be bowling. 75% of the conference is too much.

AutoZone Liberty
UCF vs. Mississippi State (7-5)

MSU deserves it after a few rebuilding seasons. They beat Auburn and Kentucky on the road, and seem to be a program on the rise again.

PetroSun Independence
Alabama (6-6) vs. Colorado

Gaylord Hotels Music City
Kentucky (7-5) vs. Florida State

Kentucky deserves a bowl game just for the fact that they are one of the two teams to beat the almighty LSU this year. But you factor in that their only other two conference wins were against Vandy and Ark. and they don't look that great.

Chick-fil-A
Clemson vs. Auburn (8-4)

Auburn is an easy pick for the Chick-Fil-A bowl. This will be one of the best attended bowl games of the year. They beat Florida, Arkansas, and actually had a winning conference record at 5-3, unlike some of the bowl bound SEC teams.

Outback
Wisconsin vs. Tennessee (9-4)

Tennessee backed into the SEC championship game, and actually looked like they could pull it off until late in the game. With the exception of the Alabama game, Tennessee won the games they should have and lost the games they should have, and still ended up 9-3 in the regular season.

AT&T Cotton
Missouri vs. Arkansas (8-4)

Arkansas is a great pick for the cotton bowl. Fans will travel well.

Capital One
Michigan vs. Florida (9-3)

Ditto.

Allstate Sugar
Hawaii vs. Georgia (10-2)

Allstate BCS Championship Game
LSU (11-2) vs. Ohio State

TU/JSU Fan
12-03-2007, 02:34 PM
CUSA would take us next week with a new arena.. umm... yeah that is if they lost a team from the football members because they already have 12.

CUSA isn't interested in Troy until someone leaves the conference and troy has a new arena. No one is leaving the conference until a bigger conference takes a team. Lets see... SEC, nope... ACC, nope, Big East - maybe, but not probable... Memphis would be who they would take due to their basketball power and the BE being a 'basketball league'. My thing with that though is that they already have 16 basketball members and I don't exactly see them expanding to 17 anytime soon. They might go to 18 with 2 divisions, but that would mean 10 football members and that wouldn't make sense so I don't see the Big East expanding anytime soon. Where else is someone going to go from CUSA to open up a spot for Troy? The MAC is full... The other conferences are western conferences as the Big X isn't taking anyone that isn't a midwestern school (or that isn't named Notre Dame) for a football membership. So... That would leave having a team from CUSA moving into the Sunbelt Conference. So.... Mr. Ho would come on here and say that USM would do this in a heartbeat, but don't be so sure. Why would they leave CUSA and their 6 bowl slots where they are just about guaranteed a bowl every year becuase they are going to be in the top half every year?

We are stuck in the SBC.

What needs to happen is have a second bowl tie-in for the SBC. How will that happen? The only way that is going to happen is for the SBC to create the bowl itself because no current bowl is going to open itself up to this conference because of two reasons...

1) Waters isn't going to take the time to lobby for it to happen
2) The SBC doesn't deserve a second bowl... No team has attendance that proves it will travel to a bowl well and the conference has never had more than 3 eligible teams in a single year and that includes 6-6 teams.

Troy is stuck dealing with 1 bowl for a while... You have to win the conference every year if you want to make sure you go to a bowl.

Is it fair? Maybe... Maybe not... Should the SBC have more tie-ins? Maybe.. Maybe not..

I don't know the answer. I know that Troy has the record to go to a bowl this year, but unfortunately there just wasn't any openings. We were lucky in 2004 that SC and Clemson decided to beat the hell out of each other. That is the only reason we went in 2004. MTSU was lucky that teams didn't know how to schedule last year and to many people finished 6-6. Power conference teams learned how to schedule this year and not as many 6-6 teams now. Each year from now on you can expect no extra bowls available for at large teams because people are going to continue to play IAA schools (because they count every year now) and teams are going to continue to play FIU (because FIU needs OOC games). The only hope is that MAC schools continue to suck and not have enough eligible teams and the SBC takes one of their slots. Of course what you will start to see is more MAC schools playing iAA schools to pad their records.

troy4ever
12-03-2007, 03:19 PM
It's not a matter of the Sunbelt needs to create more bowls in order to create more bowl tie-ins as much as some of the other conferences need to come off some bowl tie-ins. But since the bowls are not regulated by the NCAA and are free to do what they want, that's not gonna happen.

In my opinion, the NCAA should be in charge of post-season play, just like they are with the "formerly I-AA" or whatever they're called now. Don't remember the name because it all sounds like the same mess now.

It is absurd that the NCAA is not regulating this stuff.

TU_FANatic
12-03-2007, 03:46 PM
What needs to happen is have a second bowl tie-in for the SBC. How will that happen? The only way that is going to happen is for the SBC to create the bowl itself because no current bowl is going to open itself up to this conference because of two reasons...

2) The SBC doesn't deserve a second bowl... No team has attendance that proves it will travel to a bowl well and the conference has never had more than 3 eligible teams in a single year and that includes 6-6 teams.

Troy is stuck dealing with 1 bowl for a while... You have to win the conference every year if you want to make sure you go to a bowl. .

Why not go to the Sun Belt web site and submit a "question" to Mr. W. Waters (scroll down click banner on right) everyday ask why there are GOOD sun-belt teams bowl-eligible not getting a bowl bid, AND what are his plans are to fix the situation? I personally am going to do that and I encourage everyone on this board to do it as well as everyone affilated with ULM, how ticked do you think these guys are that the last team they beat (who has an identicle record) goes bowling and they don't.

Seriously EVERYONE needs to ask Waters everyday until a viable answer is received, what his plans are to fix this problem for up and coming footbal teams in his conference.

I can not accept or believe that he just isn't going to take the time to lobby for it. if this is the case I see two possiblilties:
1. Pester and annoy him until he becomes proactive and garners more bowl consideratiion for the "Belt" or....
2. Get rid of him and get someone that will.
Let the conference know we are unhappy about it and let our school/team know that we are ready to fight for them.

There is no reason that our team or fan base has to accept being left out, and if I was ULM I'd be yelling injustice as well.

20+ teams with worse records than us and 8 with the same record as our team are bowling yet we get to sit at home and watch the rest only b/c of our conference I just can't sit back and accept that. We tried too hard to get where we are to sit back and just take it anymore.

TU_FANatic
12-03-2007, 03:54 PM
It is absurd that the NCAA is not regulating this stuff.

but they have the time to regulate where atheletes live and work as well as set standards on pre-season practice times.

The NCAA is a joke. If they solely regulated the bowls they would pick the "big boys" even more, and when the money was being paid out they would take 50% of the top for "oppereating costs".

It is convenient how the NCAA chooses to regulate and over-manage some things but when it comes to smaller schools getting burried it wants to take a hands-off approach.

Whatever, I'm getting to mad I leave now!

tenaciousT
12-03-2007, 04:04 PM
how about Cal gets in with a 6-6 record, losing 6 of their last seven, and having a 3-6 conference record... NOW THAT IS A LOAD OF CRAP!

TrojanWarrior418
12-03-2007, 04:10 PM
how about Cal gets in with a 6-6 record, losing 6 of their last seven, and having a 3-6 conference record... NOW THAT IS A LOAD OF CRAP!

Well to quote Full Metal Jacket: "We are in the middle of a big *crap* sandwich and we all have to take a bite."

All I got to say is after learning our lesson the hard way I almost pity FAU. Because last time something like this happened was ASU in '06. State beat us in our home finale so the next year we went to Jonesbourgh and decimated them 27 -0. Now imagine what Troy is going to do to the Owls now that they cost us a championship and a bowl game?

One last thing, life is not fair. We're getting passed over and the only thing it's going to is fuel us for next year.

UNTJesse
12-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Somebody on our UNT board (gomeangreen.com) posted that supposedly the SBC is close to getting its 2nd bowl. They have all the background. The thread is something like "The upside of Troy losing" or something like that. Of course that doesn't help for this year. What a crock.

tenaciousT
12-03-2007, 04:12 PM
GET RID OF BOWL TIE-INS!!! there is no point in CUSA and some of the other crap leagues to be getting 5 and 6 tie-ins!!

UNTJesse
12-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Perfect point. The "money bowls" will still go after big dogs, and create interesting match-ups. The smaller bowls will similarly find good fits and try to keep things equally diverse...part of what makes bowl season cool is that you see teams play that you normally don't. Who needs the tie-ins, especially when most seasons, not all conferences fill all of theirs anyway?