PDA

View Full Version : SunBelt Commissioner Had Other Priorities

TroyFirst
12-02-2007, 03:31 PM
I spoke to a Troy official last night after the game about what the SunBelt might be doing to ensure that Troy got an at-large bowl bid. The official was not optimistic about support from the conference office.

Why?

Guess where Wright Waters and top execs where during the conference "championship game"?

They were getting ready for some college conferences convention that starts this week.

Our conference commissioner was too busy to make it to Troy. He had other priorities than to make a showing at the title game in the conference's most noticeable sport.

I saw this in the Palm Beach Post this morning.

The SunBelt Conference was fortunate to have the FAU-Troy game as the season finale to decide the conference title on a day that many other conferences staged their championship games. But the showdown for the conference title and a berth in the New Orleans Bowl wasn't a big enough draw to SunBelt Commissioner Wright Waters to Troy, Ala.

TrojanWarrior418
12-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Wow, that hurts. Our own commissioner didn't think this game was important enough to attend. Why are we in this conference again?

Discophobia
12-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Tell me a conference that we could get into and I will be happy to embrace it. I think being in the Belt blows! I hate it, but right now that is where we are. I wish the SEC, ACC etc. would come calling or that we could scab a conference together out of the CUSA and Belt. However, right now we are a member of the Belt. For our own commish not to be at the championship game is a perfect example of how our conference leaders do not see us as a player in the world of major college athletics.

ThePowerMan
12-02-2007, 05:06 PM
I have said it many times, too. ..........I hate we are in the Sunbelt. Atleast had we been in C-USA then we would "probably" be bowling this year. The Troy administration has gotten us this far. Maybe they have something else up their sleeve for Troy in the next year or so.

Discophobia
12-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Power Man, I have always thought this was in a master plan. We have taken steps one at a time. I can not believe that our end plan was to be in the Belt forever. I have always thought that the powers that be have looked at this as a door opener. Of course I am a LB koolaide drinker and believe that he is an evil genius.....so we can hope that their is a plan to eventually go somewhere else, wherever that might be.

arkstfan
12-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Ignorance.

The Commissioner is in New York for the BCS meetings (he's on the board).

troy4ever
12-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Tell me something...how is our commissioner on the board...when he's not even the commissioner of a BCS conference? If he is on the board, then that's an absolute load of crap!

Discophobia
12-02-2007, 05:49 PM
If he is on the BCS board? Why cant he get us another tie in to even the biggest garbage bowl. I know other than the last couple of years it was a moot point, however we need at least the possibility that more than one team could go bowling. If he wants co-champs etc. to aide in recruiting and spreading the wealth then get us tie ins. CUSA is not much older than the Belt and look at the job they have done getting tie ins. Get it done or get the hell out!

cheapguy2006
12-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Tell me something...how is our commissioner on the board...when he's not even the commissioner of a BCS conference? If he is on the board, then that's an absolute load of crap!

ALL confrences are involved in the BCS in some way.
the Pac-10, SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big East and Big "we cant facking count" all get auto bids into those games.

However the "others" get in if they meet certain rules. Had the "others" not been in the BCS meetings the criteria that would allow us in wouldnt even exsist. It was with the pressure of the "others" Utah, Boise and now Hawaii (eventually us) would ALWAYS be on the outside looking in.

Before we go flying off the handle calling stuff "absolute crap" lets learn the whole story.

BMarkey
12-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Post removed, to be re-stated

TroyFirst
12-02-2007, 06:04 PM
ArkStFan has informed me that Waters was in New York to meet with ESPN, the people who own the Fort Worth Bowl. ArkStFan is pretty reliable so I will assume he is correct. That would make my info from the Troy official bad, or at least not quite correct.

So, I apologize (and so should the Palm Beach Post) for starting this thread. I am sorry for any ill-thought I caused toward Waters.

I would still like to see some detail about why Waters was not on Troy and what the SunBelt is doing to get Troy in a bowl. Drew, can you find out for us?

I am going to go back and edit some of my comments from the original post.

TrojanEmpire
12-02-2007, 06:06 PM
ArkStFan has informed me that Waters was in New York to meet with ESPN, the people who own the Fort Worth Bowl. ArkStFan is pretty reliable so I will assume he is correct. That would make my info from the Troy official bad, or at least not quite correct.

So, I apologize (and so should the Palm Beach Post) for starting this thread. I am sorry for any ill-thought I caused toward Waters.

I would still lik to see some detail about why Waters was not there and what the SunBelt is doing to get Troy in a bowl. Drew, can you find out for us?

Don't go giving us false hopes. j/k He can meet with them all he wants but if Az. State is not in the Fiesta it does not matter.

TSU-Baggs
12-02-2007, 06:11 PM
I spoke to a Troy official last night after the game about what the SunBelt might be doing to ensure that Troy got an at-large bowl bid. The official was not optimistic about support from the conference office.

Why?

Guess where Wright Waters and top execs where during the conference "champion game"?

They were in Texas, getting ready for some college conferences convention that starts this week.

Yes, our conference commissioner was too busy to make it to Troy. He had other priorities than to make a showing at the title game in the conference's most noticeable sport.

I saw this in the Palm Beach Post this morning.

Unacceptable, Mr. Waters. Enjoy your drinks and complimentary shrimp cocktail as your conference's best team and the only 8-4 team in the nation without a bowl bid scratches to get bowl committees' attention.

If this is indeed true, than I can't say on here what I first wanted to say about our commissioner. Aren't these people elected by a board? And if so, than we should be very vocal to the board about our utter disatisfaction with Mr. Water's priorities and any other board members who felt it was more important to be tasting martinis Saturday instead of being at the most important conference game of the year. Shame on you.

arkstfan
12-02-2007, 06:25 PM
All the conference commissioners are part of the BCS board.

Bowl bids are about dollars. We've not had a second bowl because we could not afford one. Remember when you were up for the Independence Bowl? The MAC paid a reported half million to the I-Bowl in addition to the ticket purchase agreement as a marketing agreement.

Thanks to Hawaii making the BCS, we will be able to use the bonus payment we get to fund another bowl bid. Unless something really bizarre happens we get a second bowl at a new site next year funded by Hawaii.

And the application will be rubberstamped in part because of what happened to Troy.

TrojanEmpire
12-02-2007, 06:26 PM
well that blows!

tntrojan
12-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Arky state, are you saying another bowl is being created or one of the existing bowls will have a 'Belt tie-in?

TrojanEmpire
12-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Arky state, are you saying another bowl is being created or one of the existing bowls will have a 'Belt tie-in?

it will be a new bowl

littlebittyschool
12-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Glad we could help the conference by being a martyr.

TSU-Baggs
12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
it will be a new bowl
Just what we need, another bowl. Pretty soon there will be a bowl so that every Div 1-A school attends a post season contest. We don't need another bowl! That just makes them less meaninful to get into. What we need is another Sun Belt bowl tie-in with an existing bowl. Take one away one from the SEC, or Big 12, or PAC 10, they won't miss it and it may make them try harder to get into a bolw like us!

tntrojan
12-02-2007, 06:43 PM
While I am happy to see the Belt get another tie-in, I am disappointed that this means even more 6-6 teams go bowling.
I think the rule should be "winning" records. .500 seasons are not worthy of a bowl IMHO. If the rules said only teams with 7-5 records or better go bowling, we'd be preparing for a bowl game instead of hanging on for hope. And we'd be able to get more BCS schools to Troy as some teams would be willing to travel looking for that 7th win.
All that said, I am still a fan of a playoff system even though the ones I've seen where the conference champions get into the field of 16 mean we'd be sitting at home.

arkstfan
12-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Just what we need, another bowl. Pretty soon there will be a bowl so that every Div 1-A school attends a post season contest. We don't need another bowl! That just makes them less meaninful to get into. What we need is another Sun Belt bowl tie-in with an existing bowl. Take one away one from the SEC, or Big 12, or PAC 10, they won't miss it and it may make them try harder to get into a bolw like us!

Too many bowls?

Look if it were the old days and there were 16 bowls and only 8 of the 32 spots tied to conferences, I'd say tough break Troy. Heck ASU was 11-0, unbeaten, untied, and uninvited in 1975 tied with Notre Dame for the 21st spot in AP voting. That sucked.

But we live in a universe today where we've seen 10-2 for Northern Illinois not be good enough for a bowl (led to an additional bowl being created for the MAC). We've seen 9-2 and 8-3 leave La.Tech at home. We've seen 9-2 leave Central Florida at home.

Bottom line is that Alabama who lost to ULM is going to a bowl at 6-6. Oklahoma State who lost to Troy is going to a bowl at 6-6. And it is all because of bowl contracts. There were no at-large spots this year. None. If the game is about buying up spots then we have to create a spot.

The Fiesta exists today because they went to the NCAA promising to provide a spot for the WAC. The Holiday exists for the same reason. The Boise game exists because of a promise to take the Big West champion. The Las Vegas Bowl exists for a promise to take the MAC and Big West champions. Cotton for SWC, Sugar for SEC, Orange for Big 8. Motor City for MAC and New Orleans for Sun Belt. The Independence because of a promise to take the Southland. If all those established games exist for to help a conference why would we feel bad about creating a bowl to take a deserving Sun Belt team.

Discophobia
12-02-2007, 07:05 PM
arkstfan, Great post. Very well thought out and informative. I agree 100%, it is awful for a conference to only have on tie in. If it takes a new game then so be it. I am a playoff fan, you win your conference you go to the playoff, otherwise everyone and I mean everyone sits at home.

Your post are always informative and I am glad you come over to post on our board.

TrojanEmpire
12-02-2007, 07:08 PM
arkstfan, Great post. Very well thought out and informative. I agree 100%, it is awful for a conference to only have on tie in. If it takes a new game then so be it. I am a playoff fan, you win your conference you go to the playoff, otherwise everyone and I mean everyone sits at home.

Your post are always informative and I am glad you come over to post on our board.

true that!

ugatrojan
12-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Too many bowls?

Look if it were the old days and there were 16 bowls and only 8 of the 32 spots tied to conferences, I'd say tough break Troy. Heck ASU was 11-0, unbeaten, untied, and uninvited in 1975 tied with Notre Dame for the 21st spot in AP voting. That sucked.

But we live in a universe today where we've seen 10-2 for Northern Illinois not be good enough for a bowl (led to an additional bowl being created for the MAC). We've seen 9-2 and 8-3 leave La.Tech at home. We've seen 9-2 leave Central Florida at home.

Bottom line is that Alabama who lost to ULM is going to a bowl at 6-6. Oklahoma State who lost to Troy is going to a bowl at 6-6. And it is all because of bowl contracts. There were no at-large spots this year. None. If the game is about buying up spots then we have to create a spot.

The Fiesta exists today because they went to the NCAA promising to provide a spot for the WAC. The Holiday exists for the same reason. The Boise game exists because of a promise to take the Big West champion. The Las Vegas Bowl exists for a promise to take the MAC and Big West champions. Cotton for SWC, Sugar for SEC, Orange for Big 8. Motor City for MAC and New Orleans for Sun Belt. The Independence because of a promise to take the Southland. If all those established games exist for to help a conference why would we feel bad about creating a bowl to take a deserving Sun Belt team.

Best post I've read all DAY!