PDA

View Full Version : FIU football: Team must adjust for Troy

BMarkey
10-03-2007, 10:10 AM
FIU football: Team must adjust for Troy

The Miami Herald

After losing to one defending Sun Belt co-champion in Middle Tennessee last Saturday, Florida International prepares for Troy, the other defending Sun Belt champion, this Saturday in the Orange Bowl.

The Blue Raiders dominated the Golden Panthers with their size and experience. If FIU does not make some adjustments this week more of the same could be in store when the Trojans arrive in Miami.

''Preparing for a team like Troy, they're the same kind of animal,'' coach Mario Cristobal said. ``Maybe even more physical up front. We are very young. We have a lot of guys at new positions. Guys that haven't been able to go through a strength and conditioning program for three and four years like the guys in the teams we are facing. So we have to make up for that knowing our playbook better than anybody else. Our effort has to be above and beyond what anybody else puts out there and our execution has to be as close to perfect as possible.''

GETTING HEALTHY
Most of the injured Golden Panthers should be ready by Saturday, according to Cristobal.

Running backs Julian Reams and Daunte Owens, both limited by ankle injuries, are expected to play.

Receiver Jason Frierson, who missed the second half of the Middle Tennessee game with a hip contusion, practiced Tuesday and should be ready.

Punter Chris Cook injured his back when he tried to punt across his body on a bad snap in Saturday's game. Cook had a few punts Tuesday and ''looks like he will be ready,'' according to Cristobal.

Receiver Jeremy Dickens (groin) is not expected back until Oct. 20 when FIU plays at Louisiana-Monroe.

TrojanWar
10-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Troy will destroy FIU this weekend. I think we will be able to score at will.

ksdtrojan
10-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Troy will destroy FIU this weekend. I think we will be able to score at will.
I will try again.

I certainly hope so! Jamie Hampton, Tanner Jones, along with several others need as much game experience as possible before next year.