PDA

View Full Version : UA's B Team on Schedule

TSU2457
10-02-2007, 06:40 AM
Kiwan, I started this as a new thread because it is not about the "mystery team" but rather about the press release you spoke of.

The press release says:

"TROY, Ala. – Troy University Director of Athletics Steve Dennis announced today the signing of a four-year contract for a home-and-home football series with UAB, beginning with the 2009 season.
The contract calls for the Trojans and Blazers to meet in Troy in odd years and in Birmingham in even years, with the first game set for September 19, 2009, at Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium.

“This is a great opportunity for our two institutions to showcase their athletics teams to a state-wide audience,” Dennis said. “I know that our fans will be excited for our football team to face UAB again on a regular basis, and I hope this will become an annual game that fans of both schools will get behind and support every year.”

The Trojans will make their first return trip to Legion Field in Birmingham on Sept. 18, 2010. The series will continue under the current contract through the 2012 season."

Do you agree? Is playing against the UA B team really something us fans will really get excited about?

ksdtrojan
10-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Do you agree? Is playing against the UA B team really something us fans will really get excited about?
Somewhat! I am not sure anymore whether I want the UAB match-up for 3 reasons.
1. UAB fans are not supporting the match-up. They spew a lot of poor reasons for this series not to happen and because of their lack of support for the match-up it may be a bust attendance wise.
2. It really doesn't help Troy(other than increasing our Basketball SOS). I would rather see a series against Southern Miss or someone of their caliber than UAB who will only bring our SOS down. (If they can play that game with their basketball schedule, I can play it with our football schedule.)
3. Why play second fiddle to the Iron Bowl? This game will always have that feel.

In the end this series will be a great series and will probably be successful but only in this state. Troy-MTSU is on ESPN2 this year and will likely continue to be there as the match-up and rivalry grows. The Troy-UAB game will only land on ESPN2 by Troy convincing ESPN to televise it and even then that will only happen if the game is in Troy because I doubt if ESPN wants to venture into downtown B'ham to Legion field but they might.

TUTrojan
10-02-2007, 08:15 AM
I also think we should schedule someone else besides UAB. Southern Miss would be a good fit. Heck, Alabama State would bring more people! Why not play Boise State?

Blazer85
10-02-2007, 08:22 AM
I also think we should schedule someone else besides UAB. Southern Miss would be a good fit. Heck, Alabama State would bring more people! Why not play Boise State?

Apparently your administration doesn't agree.

Trojan1998
10-02-2007, 08:25 AM

I'm not in favor of playing ASU in football. I don't know what we stand to gain by playing a SWAC school.

I support playing both UAB and USM in football on a regular basis.

Navarre Trojan
10-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Somewhat! I am not sure anymore whether I want the UAB match-up for 3 reasons.
1. UAB fans are not supporting the match-up. They spew a lot of poor reasons for this series not to happen and because of their lack of support for the match-up it may be a bust attendance wise.
2. It really doesn't help Troy(other than increasing our Basketball SOS). I would rather see a series against Southern Miss or someone of their caliber than UAB who will only bring our SOS down. (If they can play that game with their basketball schedule, I can play it with our football schedule.)
3. Why play second fiddle to the Iron Bowl? This game will always have that feel.

In the end this series will be a great series and will probably be successful but only in this state. Troy-MTSU is on ESPN2 this year and will likely continue to be there as the match-up and rivalry grows. The Troy-UAB game will only land on ESPN2 by Troy convincing ESPN to televise it and even then that will only happen if the game is in Troy because I doubt if ESPN wants to venture into downtown B'ham to Legion field but they might.

this game doesn't help Troy. Just in expenses alone will save both schools thousands of dollars in just travel costs. This is a win/win for everyone concerned. Each school gets a home and home against another D-1 BCS program, which is very difficult to do when you are in the boat that both Troy and UAB are in (can you say Mid Major).

I really don't care what the UAB FANS, or the Troy FANS for that matter, think about the match-up, logistically, this is a good deal for all. I do hope that UAB, someday, gets an on-campus facility for football. I think they probably hate Legion Field as much as anyone else that comes there to visit.

As for TV, ESPN is not the 'end all be all' when it comes to television. Comcast Sports and the local networks are showing 5 games this year (with two others on ESPN2) so if we get that to start with, then so be it. Most folks (inside the state of Alabama and the Florida Panhandle) will be able to view this game (if chosen to be aired). Now, get Conference USA to release the rights (because you know the Sunbelt will) and this game could be on and in other media outlets in the south.

Folks, this is a GOOD THING for us, schedule wise, no matter what your personal feelings are. Scheduling is ALWAYS going to be an issue and the more home games (against D-1 competition) the better. AND the more AWAY games that Troy fans can travel to, without airfare, the better. Sorry BMarkey, at least they have Southwest in B-ham! We should embrace this as a positive thing. At least I am.

Go Trojans

goe1975
10-02-2007, 12:06 PM

Not me. It's like dating your ex-wife. Who's next? Jack State?

Burn the Horse
10-02-2007, 12:19 PM
the reason I support this game is simple, rivalry. Middle is a good rival, but how often do you run in to MTSU fans around here? A rivalry with UAB will ensure some heat, and seeing Blazer fans will enable our fans to brag after we beat them.

ksdtrojan
10-02-2007, 12:21 PM
this game doesn't help Troy. Just in expenses alone will save both schools thousands of dollars in just travel costs. This is a win/win for everyone concerned. Each school gets a home and home against another D-1 BCS program, which is very difficult to do when you are in the boat that both Troy and UAB are in (can you say Mid Major).

I really don't care what the UAB FANS, or the Troy FANS for that matter, think about the match-up, logistically, this is a good deal for all. I do hope that UAB, someday, gets an on-campus facility for football. I think they probably hate Legion Field as much as anyone else that comes there to visit.

As for TV, ESPN is not the 'end all be all' when it comes to television. Comcast Sports and the local networks are showing 5 games this year (with two others on ESPN2) so if we get that to start with, then so be it. Most folks (inside the state of Alabama and the Florida Panhandle) will be able to view this game (if chosen to be aired). Now, get Conference USA to release the rights (because you know the Sunbelt will) and this game could be on and in other media outlets in the south.

Folks, this is a GOOD THING for us, schedule wise, no matter what your personal feelings are. Scheduling is ALWAYS going to be an issue and the more home games (against D-1 competition) the better. AND the more AWAY games that Troy fans can travel to, without airfare, the better. Sorry BMarkey, at least they have Southwest in B-ham! We should embrace this as a positive thing. At least I am.

Go Trojans
I agree about expenses and logistics helping Troy. I was only looking at it from a scheduling stand point. You are right about expenses and logistics.

TSU92
10-02-2007, 12:22 PM
I think we need this series. We need a series with a CUSA school and UAB is probably the only one that will give us one right now. After we play them for a few years maybe this will open up more schools in other conferences to give us some home and home games. We need to have good attendance at these games so we show the rest of CUSA we have a good home crowd and travel well to away games. Besides wouldn't it be nice to be able to prove to UAB fans that we actually are better than them instead of just running our mouths with no proof?

playfailstoogain
10-02-2007, 01:46 PM
I think we need this series. We need a series with a CUSA school and UAB is probably the only one that will give us one right now. After we play them for a few years maybe this will open up more schools in other conferences to give us some home and home games. We need to have good attendance at these games so we show the rest of CUSA we have a good home crowd and travel well to away games. Besides wouldn't it be nice to be able to prove to UAB fans that we actually are better than them instead of just running our mouths with no proof?

i agree. this is a huge plus for us in terms of sched. filling games, and they will travel better than over half of the belt teams do, so that is also a plus. It makes sense on several fronts. We should play UAB, there is no reason not too in my book, the pro's outweigh the cons. If we want to move 6 or more home games per year then we need inter-conference regional home and home games like this.

cuke63
10-02-2007, 09:54 PM

I disagree with this scheduling except for the reduction in expenses. We need a CUSA school out of state. Going to B'ham will save money on the front end, but will not expand our recruitment to areas where necessary. Attendance will not improve for us, simply look at the average home attendance for UAB, only 1/3 of these fans will travel to see the game. We have proven to ourselves that attendance is increased with better home scheduling (OSU versus ULM.) Forget the UAB fans argument, we don't need to prove anything to the fans. We must prove our program is worth a notch on another teams belt - whether we win or lose, teams must look forward to playing us.

Scheduling in state is a double edged sword - you win against UAB - you might get 2 2* recruits. You lose and the entire state turns away.

We must look toward the future and schedule away from the state of Alabama and gain commitments from the high schoolers and depend less on the Jucos as we continue to grow.

Give me the Ball State's of the world for now with a 50% split. Work toward the OSU, Mizzou, FSU, UF, and UGA 50% splits down the road.

Our conference is unfortunately weak when compared to other conferences. Scheduling UAB is not helping us for the long term. We must look toward building stronger contracts with "decent" mid majors to build toward both a stronger conference and a stonger school.

We have already shown the rest of the SBC how to schedule "money" games, before we came along, the SBC was not even given a second look to build 50% split contracts. This will only make the conference stronger by scheduling stronger opponents on a regular and consistent basis with the opportunity for a OOC win for us and our competitor.