PDA

View Full Version : Fela hired returns to TTU as offensive line coach

T_ROY_U
01-22-2007, 08:51 AM
http://www.herald-citizen.com/NF/omf.wnm/herald/sports_story.html?rkey=0042989+cr=gdn

Fela hired returns to TTU as offensive line coach

Tennessee Tech Sports Information

COOKEVILLE -- A 27-year coaching veteran who once served as offensive coordinator for Tennessee Tech, Jeff Fela is returning to the Golden Eagles as an assistant coach on Watson Brown's staff.

Fela, 55, will coach the offensive line and serve as the running-game coordinator.
"I've coached at several places around the country, but Cookeville is really where we call home," Fela said about his return to the region.
Fela comes to Tech after spending the 2006 season as offensive line coach at Wagner (N.Y.) College. He took that position after three seasons at I-A Troy University.
"We (Fela and Brown) played against each other when I was at Troy," Fela said. "I've always admired the things he did and I knew I'd love the opportunity to work for him. It's going to be great being involved in his system, and being back in the state of Tennessee."
Brown is impressed with Fela's vast coaching experience.
"I think Jeff is a really good hire," Brown said. "He's been an offensive coordinator at several places and has a great background. We needed a really strong offensive line coach, and he has been here before. He knows Tech and Cookeville and the conference."
Fela brings a wealth of experience to the position, and considers himself a teacher who will stress technique among his players.
"We'll work on technique, first and foremost," he said.
Fela first came to Tech in 1996 and spent three seasons on coach Mike Hennigan's staff coaching the offensive line. The last two years at Tech he was also offensive coordinator.
He broke into the coaching ranks in 1975 at Gill-St. Bernard's High School in New Jersey, and his first collegiate coaching assignment was at William Patterson College in 1977. He followed with assistant coaching positions at Pittsburgh, Colorado, The Citadel, East Carolina, Connecticut, Western Carolina and William & Mary before taking the post with the Golden Eagles.
While at Western Carolina, he was named the Southern Conference Offensive Coach of the Year and helped the Catamounts achieve a ranking of No. 1 in I-AA.
At William & Mary, his success continued as the team was ranked 20th in the nation.
During his three seasons at Tech, he coached five all-OVC offensive selections before departing for a position at Presbyterian College.
He was offensive coordinator at The Citadel in 2001 and 2002, and from 2003-2005 he was the offensive line coach at I-A Troy University.
A native of North Plainfield, N.J., Fela was an all-star performer at North Plainfield High School and helped his squad win a state championship.
After one year at Garden City (Kan.) Community College, he was a three-year letterwinner at wide receiver at Southwestern (Kan.) College. He was an all-Kansas Athletic Conference selection, and earned his degree in Health and Physical Education in 1975.
Jeff is married to the former Anita Gaebel.
Published January 14, 2007 12:28 AM CST