PDA

View Full Version : We've come a long way

Navarre Trojan
12-27-2006, 02:13 PM
since this board had posts suggesting that "Larry leave town" or "I wish we were still D-IAA" or "this offense isn't any better than last years", haven't we?

Success cures that I suppose. I just remember back in weeks 3 and 4 and especially after the UAB loss, how many folks felt this and felt that.

Now we can step back and reflect. Some us will have to gulp down our pride and eat some crow. Now, whether or not you do it here, on this board, where you once carried one of the torches mentioned above or not, well, that is yet to be seen.

So let's reflect. I still don't believe Larry should leave Troy, I think we saw an example of the "old Larry Blakeney". He showed some real fire during this seaon. Not affraid to get his message across anyway he could. I never played football for Coach Blakeney, but I have talked to a lot of guys that have, and everyone seems to think this may have been his best coaching job since the move.

Does ANYONE still wish we were D-IAA? If so, I say then you must not have enjoyed the trip to MTSU, or New Orleans. Playing in the Superdome, on National TV. I have never celebrated in McAllen, Texas, but I can assure you that whatever you can do in McAllen, you can do in New Orleans. No, it wasn't for the National Championship, but the feeling was the same, I promise you that! The Trojan Nation was on top of the world the night of Dec 22, make no mistake about that.

Lastly, those of you who felt that the offense of the past was just as good as this offesne, check your pulse. I don't care if the numbers are identical, IF you think the past three years of "off the right side, off the left side, sack, Olmstead pin em' deep" was more exciting than this offense, you might need to check yourself as a college football fan. When Tony Franklin gets some more pieces to the puzzle, watch out. When the lineman come here having already ran this style of offense, and technique is something you work on instead of having to teach it, when receivers and running backs see this style and decide this is where they want to play, this is could be just the beginning o some great times in T-town.

If not, I'll come back and eat my crow.

Great season, let us raise some money for a new BBall facility and begin to prepare us for the next big decision, "CUSA or MAC"?

socrgoly25
12-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Honestly, at this point, I want to stay in the Sun Belt for a while. This conference is still a baby in comparison to these other conferences and could be a sleeping giant as far as "mid-majors" goes. Give it a couple years. We saw the progression this year. I think our next stop, if we decide to change conferences in the future, will be a BCS conference, and that is MANY years down the road.

Other than that, right on with your post. Every year we experience the same drama with people on this board. Everyone calls for another one's head, our schedule is crap, the season is OVER before it started......you hear it every time. I hope to see a new era in GTT history. One with an unstated confidence and borderline cockiness. One where everyone believes in the cause and believes every bump in the road serves as something to build off of. The future is now! Believe!

D1Trojan4U
12-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Several points to make:

The bowl win was great, but it was just one game. It will help us out down the road, but lets not get full of ourselves and start calling ourselves 2010 CUSA champs just yet. Let's not get to high after a win, or too low after a loss and be realistic here. We have done well in our first years as a program. However, I think that we are on the verge of being good- but we have to have some sort of consistency. Troy has been a revolving door of coaches, and I think it is only a matter of time before even Franklin heads for greener pastures. Let's try not to have as many chicken little (The sky is falling) posts in the future??

That said, we owe much to LB for his leadership during this growth. I would like to thank the BizMarkey for letting me release my frustrations on him- if not for the emotional venting prior to the bowl game I may have gone to jail for beating up the people around me at the game. In the middle of the third quarter(I think it was the third) after kicking a field goal instead of going for a 4th and short, he said "that's why Coach Blakeney needs to be axed....he's still stuck in 1-AA....he's not aggresive enough to be a Division 1 coach" In the middle of the bowl game!! While I applaud his sticking to his beliefs amid such overwhelming evidence contrary to his point, come on. I tried to gently offer my opinions to him as opposed to beating him senseless with the chair that I was sitting in, which was my first impulse.

I sat down and said to myself, well- at least you don't have to worry about anyone else saying anything that stupid the rest of the night. I was correct, until late in the game, when the lady next to me who kept making comments after every play which made me wonder if she had ever watched a down of football in her life, decided to prove me wrong. She looked at me with just over 4 minutes left in the game and said "We just need to get a first down, then knee out the clock!" I shook my head in disbelief, remembered a quote from Lewis Black about things going "in your ear", stared at my beer and downed it- it was the only option I had.

ksdtrojan
12-27-2006, 04:40 PM
D1, You and I need to sit together (stand actually) at every game.

Why do 75% of the Trojan fans sit down when we get up by 2 scores? Do they not realize that the team "NEEDS" us to cheer the entire game?

My friend and I were standing in front of our seats when a sea of Trojan fans in front of us sat on their haunches at 14-0. I yelled loudly for everyone to get up only to receive blank stares from those around me. A little later in the game a gentleman behind us asked if we would move to another section of seats if we were going to stand the entire game. Well that got me a little heated and I responded in the following manner, "I think everyone else needs to stand and cheer for Troy instead of sitting and visiting their neighbors. You may not be able to stand but there are several others here that can and should be standing to cheer for Troy!" We decided to swap seats with the gentleman and I apologized to him and explained my frustrations in a calmer tone. A New Orleans Saints fan who was watching the game on the aisle near us, stopped me in response to my fantacism telling me to preach it. I told him that if these people were attending either an Alabama or Auburn game I bet they would stand but that I didn't understand why they refuse to "Stand for Troy!" I will just continue to stand when I watch Troy and I will continue to defend my right to do so even if other Troy game attenders refuse to "Stand for Troy."

TrojanEmpire
12-27-2006, 04:49 PM
D1, You and I need to sit together (stand actually) at every game.

Why do 75% of the Trojan fans sit down when we get up by 2 scores? Do they not realize that the team "NEEDS" us to cheer the entire game?

My friend and I were standing in front of our seats when a sea of Trojan fans in front of us sat on their haunches at 14-0. I yelled loudly for everyone to get up only to receive blank stares from those around me. A little later in the game a gentleman behind us asked if we would move to another section of seats if we were going to stand the entire game. Well that got me a little heated and I responded in the following manner, "I think everyone else needs to stand and cheer for Troy instead of sitting and visiting their neighbors. You may not be able to stand but there are several others here that can and should be standing to cheer for Troy!" We decided to swap seats with the gentleman and I apologized to him and explained my frustrations in a calmer tone. A New Orleans Saints fan who was watching the game on the aisle near us, stopped me in response to my fantacism telling me to preach it. I told him that if these people were attending either an Alabama or Auburn game I bet they would stand but that I didn't understand why they refuse to "Stand for Troy!"

This post is not an attack on you KSD , so don't take it that way. To give you another side to the story. I took my father to the game as a Christmas present and got tix on the 16th row. First of all, what was up with those narrow seats? I am extremely tall and could barely fit. Second of all, my dad has very severe arthritis in his legs and can't stand for the whole game like others. I just think it is very inconsiderate for a person to continue to stand when a person asks them more than once to have a seat so we can see. We didn't come all that way to watch the game on the jumbotron. I stay seated b/c I am 6'9" and if I do, people behind me can't see. So whoever you were buddy, thanks alot. We ended up moving to the next deck, which had much more comfortable and a better view anyway. Turns out he still had a great time. Point being, if you standing impedes the view of someone who cannot comfortably stand for long periods of time then you need to check yourself and realize that just because we are sitting does not mean we are not cheering on the team or are "visiting with friends." That is my $0.02.

D1Trojan4U
12-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Empire certainly has a valid point. I had the same problem as he did with the seats, where as his excess is vertically, mine is more horizontally. My friend with me was criticized for holding up her "Go Trojans!" pull out sign (you know...the plastic ones given out by that company at that one home game) and it wasn't even during game play. I can understand it if it was in the middle of a play- but whatever. I gave her one of those black shakers (thanks sun belt) to cheer with, and all was fine.

Maybe we should assign seating next year by cheering plans. If you plan to stand and be loud, then you get the seats right on the field where your impact can be noticed the most. KSD and I on the 50 (I did give the mooses a couple times) If you plan on only being loud, you can sit outside the stand and cheerers, and if you are just there for the social time, you can have your own section up top where you can still watch the game whenever convenient for you or when Auburn or Alabama are in a commercial break on the radio you have in your ear (wait...we already have the stadium club don't we?)

KSD, tentative plans made for a new wave of fanatics next year!! Kenny will still be toting the mail, right?!?

TrojanEmpire
12-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Empire certainly has a valid point. I had the same problem as he did with the seats, where as his excess is vertically, mine is more horizontally. My friend with me was criticized for holding up her "Go Trojans!" pull out sign (you know...the plastic ones given out by that company at that one home game) and it wasn't even during game play. I can understand it if it was in the middle of a play- but whatever. I gave her one of those black shakers (thanks sun belt) to cheer with, and all was fine.

Maybe we should assign seating next year by cheering plans. If you plan to stand and be loud, then you get the seats right on the field where your impact can be noticed the most. KSD and I on the 50 (I did give the mooses a couple times) If you plan on only being loud, you can sit outside the stand and cheerers, and if you are just there for the social time, you can have your own section up top where you can still watch the game whenever convenient for you or when Auburn or Alabama are in a commercial break on the radio you have in your ear (wait...we already have the stadium club don't we?)

KSD, tentative plans made for a new wave of fanatics next year!! Kenny will still be toting the mail, right?!?

Cheering plans?!?!?!?!?!?!? Now that's funny! :)

opetradamous
12-27-2006, 10:45 PM
I thought that was Mrs. D1 wid ya. Maybe not!

troymarkus
12-27-2006, 11:20 PM
That is the section that I, formerlytsufan, KSD, D1, and a few others sit. Just not all together! That is the section where we stand the entire game and cheer...at least most of us!

I know I didn't sit down the entire game in New Orleans!!! We stood up the entire time and I led our section in the "That brings up another Trojan....FIRST DOWN" and "That pass falls....IN-COM-PLETE" cheers! Since we didn't have the PA, I felt it neccesary to lead the charge.

By the way, I was one of the guys painted up...Hey, it's a bowl game--you have to pull out all the stops!!!

http://4thepointe.com/trojanfanatics.jpg

Also, I'm starting a website dedicated to the people in section 107 called TrojanFanatics.com It's a place where we'll share our stories, pictures and passions about the Trojans. Not a message board, but something different. It will be up and running sometime in the next several weeks. We're even getting t-shirts printed up! Join the movement!

Go Trojans!

ksdtrojan
12-27-2006, 11:35 PM
This post is not an attack on you KSD , so don't take it that way. To give you another side to the story. I took my father to the game as a Christmas present and got tix on the 16th row. First of all, what was up with those narrow seats? I am extremely tall and could barely fit. Second of all, my dad has very severe arthritis in his legs and can't stand for the whole game like others. I just think it is very inconsiderate for a person to continue to stand when a person asks them more than once to have a seat so we can see. We didn't come all that way to watch the game on the jumbotron. I stay seated b/c I am 6'9" and if I do, people behind me can't see. So whoever you were buddy, thanks alot. We ended up moving to the next deck, which had much more comfortable and a better view anyway. Turns out he still had a great time. Point being, if you standing impedes the view of someone who cannot comfortably stand for long periods of time then you need to check yourself and realize that just because we are sitting does not mean we are not cheering on the team or are "visiting with friends." That is my $0.02.
I am not taking it as an attack and realize that I am most definately an annoying fanatic with the way that I cheer. I do respect that about people with ailments as was the case with the gentleman in my story but these are not the majority of fans at the Troy games. And I people watch at points during the game especially when I have a good vantage point so that I can see several people in my peripheral and many do visit with each other instead of watching the game. I don't mean to assume but I do make that mistake alot and as is the case of this man I looked like a butt so I apologized. You are correct and I am bad about jumping to conclusions because so many Troy fans seem to be ho-hum with their cheering for Troy. I probably expect to much and should probably lower those expectations somewhat. We are not collectively an educated fan base in the art of cheering on a D1-A program because the atmosphere at Troy is not an exciting atmosphere like say Auburn or Alabama. We are learning though. Just my thoughts. I will probably be asked to quiet down at a ball game before long because I am also very loud as Bigguy and D1 can attest. Afterall I live the cheer, "If you're YELLING for the Trojans everybody GET UP!"

troymarkus
12-27-2006, 11:46 PM
What I am about to say doesn't apply to those who have health issues. And by the way, there are some great seats for people with special needs--that's why they are there--so they can watch the game without a problem. We need to accomodate people who have special health issues.

Having said that--Football isn't ballet! Football is a sport built for fans standing, yelling, and screaming. My friend and I used to sit in the "expensive" sections of the stadium for home games. Several times over the last few years I was asked to sit down so people behind me could see the game---while they sit on their hands!!!! So, we decided to move to the other side of the stadium (in section 107) and try that side out. So far, so good. I love the spirit on our side now! No one has asked me to be quiet or sit down--on the contrary--they encourage me to stand and yell!! That's why section 107 will be the section of the Fanatics!!!

Go Trojans!

ksdtrojan
12-28-2006, 12:00 AM
What I am about to say doesn't apply to those who have health issues. And by the way, there are some great seats for people with special needs--that's why they are there--so they can watch the game without a problem. We need to accomodate people who have special health issues.

Having said that--Football isn't ballet! Football is a sport built for fans standing, yelling, and screaming. My friend and I used to sit in the "expensive" sections of the stadium for home games. Several times over the last few years I was asked to sit down so people behind me could see the game---while they sit on their hands!!!! So, we decided to move to the other side of the stadium (in section 107) and try that side out. So far, so good. I love the spirit on our side now! No one has asked me to be quiet or sit down--on the contrary--they encourage me to stand and yell!! That's why section 107 will be the section of the Fanatics!!!

Go Trojans!
I am glad to be in 107 my home forever at Troy home games.
Representin' the 107!!!

socrgoly25
12-28-2006, 02:22 AM
I normally sit in the endzone. Probably a stupid question, but do you guys have room in 107 next year? Do you have to get a reserved ticket or can you get there through General Admission?

At the bowl game, I loved my section next to most of the students. We were crazy enthusiastic and loud on every play. We did the Moose cheer and sang along with the band. It was a great experience.

formerlytsufan
12-28-2006, 09:15 AM
I normally sit in the endzone. Probably a stupid question, but do you guys have room in 107 next year? Do you have to get a reserved ticket or can you get there through General Admission?

At the bowl game, I loved my section next to most of the students. We were crazy enthusiastic and loud on every play. We did the Moose cheer and sang along with the band. It was a great experience.

I am thinking of buying a few "extra" tickets in Section 107 for this upcoming season. You are more than welcome to use my extras. We could you a few more people willing to stand and cheer!

Nice Trojan
12-28-2006, 10:50 AM
I too have been in the chairback seats, the bench seats and all on the home side. The atmosphere is nothing like it is in the fanatic side. I have been in 109 the past few games and really like it over there. I think I know who you guys are now. I see a few people in the middle acting loud in 107 like I do in 109. But those were borrowed tickets this year, next year maybe I will move to 107.

TrojanWar
12-28-2006, 10:57 AM
Come on guys! Now you all have me wanting to move from the Stadium Club to 107!!!! Seriously, I may see about making the switch. I too get tired of people telling me to sit down so the people behind me can see. I may have to stop worrying about stuffing my gut with Barnhill's food and free sodas so that I have a rowdy bunch to watch the game with. It's not like I can't eat Barnhill's anytime I want. My brother-in-law is the General Manager at the Dothan location (and I still don't eat there). Section 107 may be the toughest ticket at MGVS next season.

Buzz Lightyear
12-28-2006, 11:13 AM
About four years ago when Troy began the sale of family packages I called daily and when they finally went on sale I had my pick of isles seats in rows one thru 20. It now seems like a long time ago. I currently have 12 seats and give most away if can not get enough folks to LEARN the value of Trojan football. I intend to keep those seats but if you check with me the night before games next year I may have anywhere from 2 to 10 extra tickets for any one game. (Kind of doubt to many for OSU) Anyway I will post this next year and always check the night before games. So if any wish to try it out just give me a message. Look forward to meeting some of you next year and have enjoyed meeting some this year. By the way its 8 seats in row 6 and 4 on row 5, all are on the aisle.

ksdtrojan
12-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Section 107 may be the toughest ticket at MGVS next season.
I am glad I am in early then!

Socrogoly there are plenty of great seats in front of my row (Row 10). I think most of them are corporate seat blocks but I am sure there are some to be had. The family pack in that section is not bad at all.

I sat in the chairbacks for the Mizzou game and saw the same thing happen that happened in the Bowl game. Once we got down by 2 scores everyone quit cheering. I was yelling for everyone to get up but was met with the same empty stares. I can tell you I don't care how prominent I ever become in life finacially, I will NEVER sit in the chairbacks because I fit in more with the "107 Crazies".

D1Trojan4U
12-28-2006, 03:20 PM
I don't have tickets in that section, you let a secret get out -- and next thing you know, you can't get a ticket in the section that you were originally sitting in! (often choosing over the student section) Geez. Now I know how the Biz felt after posting the thread about the hotel only to find no room at the inn when he went to make his reservations.

I'd say that the more people yell consistently, the more other people join in...ksd and I made some people do so reluctantly. (in-com-plete seemed to grow in popularity through the season) 107 is the home of the moose five after every touchdown for #22, and where you can tell your kids "I'll leave you at home and bring someone else next time, if you're not going to stand and cheer!!" You can also listen to me make fun of players all night, as I sometimes have to creatively do so with children around. (One couple at the bowl game shared laughs with me in the elevator when they said "the last time we saw you, you were yelling at the other team- and even repeated a few lines) "Ibe" (La-Monroe #27) really glad if we can get a good group of people together to show the rest of the stadium how to cheer.

Opetradamous, stop with the nonsense- I'm single like a #1 combo at Wendy's. (I think that's the single stack) Besides you know you would've gotten drug to the wedding you think took place.

TrojanWarrior418
12-28-2006, 07:51 PM
I agree that this year exceeded all expectations of this football program. I remember after last year when we had to fire people and hired coach Franklin all Troy wanted to have was a winning season. LOL. I guess we got more than we bargined for.
As far as where is Troy's program headed my prediction is that we will remain in the SunBelt for a few more years, maybe a decade or so. But ultimately at our rate of growth, should it remain consistant, I can picture us leaving the SunBelt. Now as for where I can't say. I've heard rumors about going to CUSA, but I really wouldn't see the point in that, it's not a BCS conference and it's has slightly more competition than the SunBelt. The SEC could be a possibility, but Alabama and Auburn aside, I doubt MSU, LSU, and some of the other schools we made it too close for comfort would let us in. The only fesible option that I can see down the road is jumping to the Big East. I can't picture Troy in about 15 - 20 years from now not only hanging with, but beating the Rutgers and Louisville's of the world. But then again what do I know?
But lets not put the cart before the horse and concentrate on how to get better and dominate the SunBelt. Lets concentrate on the 2007 season and defend our SunBelt title. I want Troy to be so dominate in the future other SunBelt schools will pay for us the leave the SunBelt.

troymarkus
12-28-2006, 08:05 PM
The Sunbelt is the perfect place for us right now. However, the CUSA might be a good fit one day. The reason it would be attractive is proximity to the other teams and because they get a ton of bowls compared to the Belt's one!

socrgoly25
12-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Still an up and coming conference. I expect more bowl bids in the very near future. Hell, we've already sent two teams to a bowl in the same year twice in a three year period. It's very likely.