PDA

View Full Version : Aaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

TrojanEmpire
12-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Now that I have everyone's attention. Who is as fired up as I am? I cannot wait for Dec. 22nd to get here. I am taking my dad, who paid my way through Troy (Thanks Dad!), for his Christmas present. Gonna take him to Harrah's, etc. If any GTT member sees me down there, come by and say hi b/c I would love to put som faces with names. You won't be able to miss the 6'9" man with his 6'4" father having the time of their lives. GO TROY! BEAT RICE!

TSUWhiner
12-06-2006, 08:09 PM
hope to meet ya! you cant miss me! I am from Texas LOL :)

Whiner

Alum74
12-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Does Troy have a shot against a Rice powerhouse?

TrojanWar
12-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Rice powerhouse?

Isn't that an oxymoron? :D

Former Owl Dad
12-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Isn't that an oxymoron? :D

Nice Rice word - I am impressed.

Alum74
12-06-2006, 10:14 PM
SAT word--I knew that Troy education would come in handy for ya.

TrojanWar
12-06-2006, 10:16 PM
I think Rice is a good team on a roll, but "Powerhouse" is a bit much. What happened to the powerhouse against FSU?

Alum74
12-06-2006, 10:19 PM
No starting quarterback...he's good for at least 8TDs that would have made up the difference.

Former Owl Dad
12-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Troy and Rice share much in common. Both have red brick on their buildings and both have students - although that last one is a stretch.

TUrocks
12-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Here it comes....let the trash talking begin....at least it's a breath of fresh air from MTSU!!!

TrojanWar
12-06-2006, 10:35 PM
No starting quarterback...he's good for at least 8TDs that would have made up the difference.

8 TD's??? It sounds like he must have been playing for FSU that day. Does your starting QB play defense as well? That seemed to be the bigger issue.

Former Owl Dad
12-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Here it comes....let the trash talking begin....at least it's a breath of fresh air from MTSU!!!

No offense, but your breath ain't that fresh.

TUrocks
12-06-2006, 10:44 PM
No offense, but your breath ain't that fresh.

I'm a little disappointed if that's what you're gonna start with.

Alum74
12-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Clement is awesome and Dillard is a god.
Break out the knee pads Trojans fans, we'll try to make the rough night easy on you.

Former Owl Dad
12-06-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm a little disappointed if that's what you're gonna start with.

Hope this does not disappoint.

1) Don't look to roll over our defense. We run a fiercely aggressive scheme that creates, TFL's, sacks, and turnovers. We give up some yardage at times, but most of this is in between the 20's.

2) Our offense is at times brilliant. If Clement had not been injured in the 2nd half of the UH opener we would have rolled to a CUSA title this season. Load up on Dillard and we will kill you with Armstrong. Back out to cover the deep balls and we will gash you with the most underrated RB in D1.

3) Special teams have been just that over the last seven weeks.

Good luck and hope you guys are as well disciplined and coached as Rice. Looking forward to the game.

TUrocks
12-06-2006, 11:04 PM
From what I've seen of the numbers so far, it looks like your offensive numbers are to your advantage as much as our defensive numbers are to ours. Special teams are about even, but you guys overwhelm us in the turnover category, so that could be a very key element.

I'm looking very forward to it.....I think it's a great matchup and I think this bowl is going to turn some heads on the success it will have.

Good luck!!!!

Just a curious question, btw......who were your out of conference opponenents and results this year???? I know you played FSU, but who else???

Former Owl Dad
12-06-2006, 11:11 PM
From what I've seen of the numbers so far, it looks like your offensive numbers are to your advantage as much as our defensive numbers are to ours. Special teams are about even, but you guys overwhelm us in the turnover category, so that could be a very key element.

I'm looking very forward to it.....I think it's a great matchup and I think this bowl is going to turn some heads on the success it will have.

Good luck!!!!

Just a curious question, btw......who were your out of conference opponenents and results this year???? I know you played FSU, but who else???

Clement was injured in the opener and UH came back to win by a point. Then we went on the road for the schedule from hell without our QB in a new scheme, and we took a beating and lost a player due to a unbelievable freak illness. Played UCLA, Texas, FSU in consecutive weeks and flew all over the world. After the tradegy went to West Point and whipped Army. Laid the only egg of the season in an emotional letdown at Tulane. We then went on the most unbelievable win streak, characterized by last second heriocs.

TUrocks
12-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Ours was similar.....We started the year with a completely new offensive coordinator and plan. Trounced Alabama State in the opener. Lose a heartbreaker to FSU. Hang tough with Ga. Tech until a breakdown in the fourth quarter where they seemed to gain momentum after a BS call. Get trounced by Nebraska. With a number of injuries on both sides, don't even compete against UAB (still my choice for most disappointing outcome of season)....Go on a conference tear only to get tripped up by some bad defensive playcalling late against Arky State. Post an amazing comeback against MTSU at their place to capture the Sunbelt Title as a result of taking care of business at FIU.

Former Owl Dad
12-06-2006, 11:31 PM
UAB has tremendous talent and annually does zero with it. We run the same defense as Bama. If Clement plays we are reaaaaaaaaaallly good. Hatfiled could recruit talent, but he had no hunger, was the worst game day coach in America, and refused to learn anything. Todd Graham came in and raised six million big ones and set the program back on the map. Rice was the biggest game in Houston in the 50's and regularly drew crowds of 70k.

Joel Armstrong will most likely start in place of Clement. Honestly, this is a major break for you guys. Joel has unbelievable speed and is a great leader. He is not the thrower that Clement is - I think there is a reasonable chance Chase could play some. The X factor is JD - I think you will come away stating he is the best WR you saw play this year. He is not a physical specimen, but he is quick, runs exact routes, and possesses a 43" vertical. Throw it up and 90% of the time he catches it. If you double him or take deep drops from the LB's to cut off the quick routes, we have the most underrated RB in D1. And Armstrong can RUN.

socrgoly25
12-07-2006, 01:15 AM
I will continue to say this.

The Arky State loss was a blessing in disguise.

Had we won that game, we may not have won the conference and ended up being at home this bowl season. That loss humbled a team that thought they were invincible to teams they thought they should beat. The game is played on the field, and since then, the Trojans have come to play.

TroyTuba
12-07-2006, 10:02 AM
If he's good for eight touchdowns against FSU, why didn't you guys run away with your conference?

Navarre Trojan
12-07-2006, 10:11 AM
I will continue to say this.

The Arky State loss was a blessing in disguise.

Had we won that game, we may not have won the conference and ended up being at home this bowl season. That loss humbled a team that thought they were invincible to teams they thought they should beat. The game is played on the field, and since then, the Trojans have come to play.

in Detroit, for the Motor City Bowl, screaming about how much more money we were going to make above MTSU..........

We would have been 7-5, no doubt. I think it worked out for the best, for everyone!

Does anyone realize how close we were to being 9-3? WOW

Former Owl Dad
12-07-2006, 10:15 AM
If he's good for eight touchdowns against FSU, why didn't you guys run away with your conference?

Good question. Answer is all we had to do to win the conference was defeat Houston at home in the opener. We were up huge and then Clement broke his hand and could not throw the ball in most of the second half.

We switched from the option to the spread this year. Everone one predicted a last place finish and many zero wins. Clement, ran the spread in high school and the option here. He is very fast, has an accurate arm, and is very smart. With him at the trigger we have Armstrong on the edge taking heat off of JD, Q in the backfield and a bevy of talented slot WR's. Our OLine is at full strength.

Take your guy out from under center and see what a difference it would make.

ksdtrojan
12-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Good question. Answer is all we had to do to win the conference was defeat Houston at home in the opener. We were up huge and then Clement broke his hand and could not throw the ball in most of the second half.

We switched from the option to the spread this year. Everone one predicted a last place finish and many zero wins. Clement, ran the spread in high school and the option here. He is very fast, has an accurate arm, and is very smart. With him at the trigger we have Armstrong on the edge taking heat off of JD, Q in the backfield and a bevy of talented slot WR's. Our OLine is at full strength.

Troy switched from a Power I team to the Spread this year. Troy runs alot of misdirection, backside read type plays where the QB (Omar Haugabook) will ride the hand off while reading the backside DE and pull the ball if the DE breaks on the RB. We run no huddle the entire game and all play calls are made from the sidelines including most audibles. We stay in the shotgun for 75% of the time but we will go undercenter occasionally. When in shotgun we will go empty backfield with 5 wide, 1 back, and occasionally 2 backs. You will see us run option out of these sets as well but we haven't performed very well in the option as I am not sure Omar is very comfortable with the option. As a QB he has good size, decent speed, and runs the ball like a half-back. You will have your hands full with Omar.

Kenny Cattouse (#22) is our F-back (running back) and will line up in the slot as a receiver as well. He is New Jersey's all time leading high school rusher rushing for over 6600 yards in his high school career. We are still waiting to see some big things from him and he actually started making some strides and showed some of his capabilities the last half of the season. He has a speedy back-up in Anthony Jones (#36)who is just as capable as KC in making big plays.

Our receiving corp has been one of the biggest parts of our new offense with new comers stepping up in a big way. Watch out for Gary Banks (#8), a former minor league baseball player in the Cubs organization where he played CF (I believe!) who is a possession type receiver but can turn a 10 yard curl into a 60 yard TD. He is one of our playmakers at wide out and leads the team in receptions, yards, and TDs. Also watch Smokey Hampton (#5), Mykeal Terry (#81), Toris Rutledge (#4), Cornelius Williams (#1), Andrew Davis (#21), etc. Troy has 16 players with at least one reception and 6 with TD receptions so we spread the ball around the field and don't really key on one guy although Gary Banks is the go to guy if you have to pen one as such.

Offensive line is also very talented and has had the best performance by the O-line in the last 4 years. The are senior laden with one junior in the mix starting but lack depth.

Defensively we are young but the young players have grown up quickly this year. We run a base 4-3 and played alot of weak zone coverage to start the season but the defensive play calls have changed to begin including some LB blitz packages along with our D-line. Also because of the speed of our DEs don't be surprised to see them drop into coverage in the flats as the LBs blitz.

I think you will find Troy to be quite the competitor. And with Troy and Rice both running a spread offense this should be a fun game to watch.

TUTrojan
12-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Troy switched from a Power I team to the Spread this year. Troy runs alot of misdirection, backside read type plays where the QB (Omar Haugabook) will ride the hand off while reading the backside DE and pull the ball if the DE breaks on the RB. We run no huddle the entire game and all play calls are made from the sidelines including most audibles. We stay in the shotgun for 75% of the time but we will go undercenter occasionally. When in shotgun we will go empty backfield with 5 wide, 1 back, and occasionally 2 backs. You will see us run option out of these sets as well but we haven't performed very well in the option as I am not sure Omar is very comfortable with the option. As a QB he has good size, decent speed, and runs the ball like a half-back. You will have your hands full with Omar.

Kenny Cattouse (#22) is our F-back (running back) and will line up in the slot as a receiver as well. He is New Jersey's all time leading high school rusher rushing for over 6600 yards in his high school career. We are still waiting to see some big things from him and he actually started making some strides and showed some of his capabilities the last half of the season. He has a speedy back-up in Anthony Jones (#36)who is just as capable as KC in making big plays.

Our receiving corp has been one of the biggest parts of our new offense with new comers stepping up in a big way. Watch out for Gary Banks (#8), a former minor league baseball player in the Cubs organization where he played CF (I believe!) who is a possession type receiver but can turn a 10 yard curl into a 60 yard TD. He is one of our playmakers at wide out and leads the team in receptions, yards, and TDs. Also watch Smokey Hampton (#5), Mykeal Terry (#81), Toris Rutledge (#4), Cornelius Williams (#1), Andrew Davis (#21), etc. Troy has 16 players with at least one reception and 6 with TD receptions so we spread the ball around the field and don't really key on one guy although Gary Banks is the go to guy if you have to pen one as such.

Offensive line is also very talented and has had the best performance by the O-line in the last 4 years. The are senior laden with one junior in the mix starting but lack depth.

Defensively we are young but the young players have grown up quickly this year. We run a base 4-3 and played alot of weak zone coverage to start the season but the defensive play calls have changed to begin including some LB blitz packages along with our D-line. Also because of the speed of our DEs don't be surprised to see them drop into coverage in the flats as the LBs blitz.

I think you will find Troy to be quite the competitor. And with Troy and Rice both running a spread offense this should be a fun game to watch.

And watch out for KSD's protege, #30!

tenaciousT
12-07-2006, 12:13 PM
"The X factor is JD - I think you will come away stating he is the best WR you saw play this year. He is not a physical specimen, but he is quick, runs exact routes, and possesses a 43" vertical. Throw it up and 90% of the time he catches it. If you double him or take deep drops from the LB's to cut off the quick routes"

we shut down the best reciever in the Nation- Calvin Johnson of GT. 2 catches for 6 yards. we took an interception out of his hands, and picked another one thrown to him.

TroyTuba
12-07-2006, 12:15 PM

I'm not arguing taking away a strting QB won't have an effect, but I haven't seen any one QB capable of 8 TD's by his own pure talent. The closest this year might be Troy Smith, but even he isn't good for it by himself.

Former Owl Dad
12-07-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm not arguing taking away a strting QB won't have an effect, but I haven't seen any one QB capable of 8 TD's by his own pure talent. The closest this year might be Troy Smith, but even he isn't good for it by himself.

Come on, everything is a bigger in Texas...including our analogies.

socrgoly25
12-07-2006, 01:05 PM
As a QB he has good size, decent speed, and runs the ball like a half-back. You will have your hands full with Omar.

Understatement of the century.

Former Owl Dad
12-07-2006, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=tenaciousT;43519we shut down the best reciever in the Nation- Calvin Johnson of GT. 2 catches for 6 yards. we took an interception out of his hands, and picked another one thrown to him.[/QUOTE]

I know that everyone is in love with Calvin Johnson, but he has disappeared in several key games this year.

If you would like a chronology of Dillard's HUGE catches - I would be glad to provide. I consider myself a football fan at all levels. I understand the techniques and skill sets to be successful. I am 50 years old and came out of the womb watching and playing football and I have had the good fortune of playing with and witnessing the play of some truly all-time greats.

Believe me when I say - In all my years I have NEVER seen one guy load up the team on his back and make play after play after play. I witnessed his whole body of work this season and it leaves you speechless. Maybe you guys shut him down, I don't think that is possible and if Clement plays I will go out on the limb and bet my last dollar it isn't possible.

No one has been more overlooked than this guy, 20 TD grabs, 82 receptions, over 1000 yards, 14 consecutive games with a TD catch, and a human highlight real of big plays. After about the 50th big grab he made, I was convinced he was not lucky.

I am sure you will run some type of stab cover on the corner, where the CB comes hard on movement to take away the short ball and the safety always plays his deep side regardless of flow. Tulsa had their super LB Bunting chip at him on every crossing route to boot and he only caught three TD's and the game winner in overtime.

If I want the prettiest guy in uniform with talent, I'll take Johnson. if I want the guy who will deliver ...give me Dillard.

They have a few of his basic catches over at www.riceowls.com. Many have checked it out and said he was nothing special. Trust me, he IS the real deal.

ksdtrojan
12-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Understatement of the century.
Shhhhhhhh! We don't want to give away to much info!

Former Owl Dad
12-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. I fully expect you guys to be very athletic. Sounds like us in some ways.

If Armstrong is under center, we will most likely run the read option like you guys. Quinton Smith is 6' 215 lbs and a real 4.4 guy. He has great football savvy and can bounce it outside or run with power between the tackles. I think he will play somewhere on Sundays.

We have some very talented young freshman who will most likely field the other wide out opposite JD. With Clement in, we have a real burner on both sides.

The slots will be filled by Smith when we go empty and by Falco and Henderson. Falco is very athletic and was the AZ high school athlete of the year in his senior high school season. He has been dinged with a rash of injuries, but is at full speed currently. Henderson is smaller in stature. A former option QB he is a great blocker and quick possession wr. If you have seen Texas Tech play over the years - he reminds me of their WR Amendola.

Just a little more info and I appreciate the update on your team.

TUTrojan
12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
I know that everyone is in love with Calvin Johnson, but he has disappeared in several key games this year.

If you would like a chronology of Dillard's HUGE catches - I would be glad to provide. I consider myself a football fan at all levels. I understand the techniques and skill sets to be successful. I am 50 years old and came out of the womb watching and playing football and I have had the good fortune of playing with and witnessing the play of some truly all-time greats.

Believe me when I say - In all my years I have NEVER seen one guy load up the team on his back and make play after play after play. I witnessed his whole body of work this season and it leaves you speechless. Maybe you guys shut him down, I don't think that is possible and if Clement plays I will go out on the limb and bet my last dollar it isn't possible.

No one has been more overlooked than this guy, 20 TD grabs, 82 receptions, over 1000 yards, 14 consecutive games with a TD catch, and a human highlight real of big plays. After about the 50th big grab he made, I was convinced he was not lucky.

I am sure you will run some type of stab cover on the corner, where the CB comes hard on movement to take away the short ball and the safety always plays his deep side regardless of flow. Tulsa had their super LB Bunting chip at him on every crossing route to boot and he only caught three TD's and the game winner in overtime.

If I want the prettiest guy in uniform with talent, I'll take Johnson. if I want the guy who will deliver ...give me Dillard.

They have a few of his basic catches over at www.riceowls.com. Many have checked it out and said he was nothing special. Trust me, he IS the real deal.

This guy sounds almost as good as Smokey Hampton against MTSU (or Mikeal Terry against FAU and ASU or Gary Banks all season).

The good thing is that Troy coverage has always shut down single marquee receivers over the years, whether we were playing Marshall, FSU, GT (Johnson), UAB (White), or whoever. The bad news is that we are usually taken to the woodshed by no-name fullbacks and backup tightends.

Nice Trojan
12-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Quinn from UNT was hyped all year to. He played pretty good against us. 8 receptions for 108 yards. But we still beat them.

I dont care if one reciver has 500 yards, as long as the main stat is ZERO TDs.

TUTrojan
12-07-2006, 06:47 PM
He took advantage of holes in our zone but did not outplay man coverage.

Alum74
12-07-2006, 08:20 PM

Dude...it called sarcasm.