PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Coordinator Candidates: Brick Haley/Tracy Rocker

WeSuck.com
12-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Rowell has done a great job as recruiting coordinator, but move him to the offensive side of the ball - although keep him away from the quarterbacks (I keed, I keed).

Brick and Tracy have Troy backgrounds. While Brick was under Gailey. Remember, Rocker oversaw some pretty dominating defensive lines while at Troy. In fact probably the best period of defensive dominance we have every seen. In 1988, Rocker won both the Lombardi Award and Outland Trophy.

Both know the area and are outstanding recruiters.

Although, I do not think we can match their current salaries. It might be time to step up to the plate. AND don't expect these two guys to hang around for 10 years either. A defensive coordinators title would look good on their resumes should they want to be a head coach somewhere.

Brick Haley: http://www.mstateathletics.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=18&url_article_id=4514&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

Tracy Rocker: http://www.houstonnutt.com/tracy_rocker.htm

AND congrats to Mike Pelton. Obviously, this is a great career move for him. An outstanding young man as well. Folks, we are doing smoething right if we keep losing coaches to Big 12/SEC/ACC schools.

kiwan
12-06-2006, 09:46 AM
You are dead on! Either one of those guys would be perfect. I agree 100% we need 1 DC. Jeremy would be a great addition to the offense.

FormerTrojan87
12-06-2006, 10:05 AM
You got to be kidding me, Rowell is doing just fine. Get a clue! If anything we were young on defense this year and will be better next year!

WeSuck.com
12-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Get a clue? What did I say?

Dude Rowell played quarterback. Rocker won the Outland and Lombardi Trohies.

TrojanWar
12-06-2006, 10:24 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Rocker makes close to what LB makes as the head coach. That's just the nature of the business at larger schools. While I would love to have him (and several other Arkansas assistants), I doubt he would take a huge pay cut. That said, you never know what someone might do to get closer to home.

FYI,
I'm just answering the original post and I am NOT calling for JR to be canned.

Trojan1998
12-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Get a clue? What did I say?

Dude Rowell played quarterback. Rocker won the Outland and Lombardi Trohies.

Rocker is a Barner. We have too many former Aubs on the Troy coaching staff but then again if we win then I don't care where they're from.

WeSuck.com
12-06-2006, 10:58 AM
NOBODY wants JR canned!!!!! He is an excellent recruiter and coach. Just that he belongs on the offensive side of the ball...he played QB.

Too many Barners? I'll take Pat Dye if it meant we could dominate on Defense like previous teams and win more games.

Navarre Trojan
12-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Rowell has done a great job as recruiting coordinator, but move him to the offensive side of the ball - although keep him away from the quarterbacks (I keed, I keed).

Why would you keep him away from the quarterbacks? That is the position he played and that is the argument you have for bringing in either of the other two guys. If you move Jeremy to the O-side, he has to be in the backfield, it is where he can help the most (on that side of the ball). He is also a good fit where he is, with the DBs. You often see offensive backfield guys work on the D-side because as a player they have always faced that side, therefore, in theory, they should be able to help the defensive guys adjust, and tell them what the offense might be setting up, etc.

We just don't seem to be creating the turnovers that we have had in the past and we have a difficult time covering the middle (the seam areas). These are the things I would look at, if I was LB, and evaluating the defense for 2006.

Go Trojans

btrojan
12-06-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure what need's to be done, but I do trust Coach LB to make a good decision. We thought the world was coming to an end when Bolt left and when Koning left, But we keep getting good coachs to replace them. So let's trust his history of bringing in Good replacements when we loose good coaches

jt45
12-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Rowell isn't even the Recruiting Coordinator anymore, Turner is.

I think Pelton leaving is huge for us, because it once again shows that we are producing quality coaches. It also gives us a golden opportunity to make Rowell the sole DC and get rid of the Co-Coordinator stuff that many on this board have complained about. I'm sure LB already has someone in mind to come in as D-Line coach and hopefully he'll allow Rowell to stay as the sole DC.

We have some great pieces coming back on Defense, some pieces that are the makings of a dominant defense. Something that we shouldn't forget is that we get Sherrod Martin back next year and he'll have 2 more seasons left after taking a medical redshirt. We also add 3 bigtime transfers in Travis Robinson, Curtis Dawson and the kid from FSU. Our Defense is going to be something to see with Mainor/Lang at the ends and Marcus and Boris chasing people down. Plus we have a pair of senior corners in Leo and Mack.

We are going to be ok people, we are going to be ok.

FormerTrojan87
12-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Bolt played offensive line and was an offensive line coach before he became a DC. He taught JR what he is doing right now.

Rocker had very little to do with the game plan when he was here. Rocker was a great recruiter and a great coach of defensive lineman. We will hire a minority DL coach and JR will be the only DC

bulldogtrojan
12-06-2006, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't count on Curtis Dawnson anymore. Run-ins with the law will probably keep him off the team unless they are very forgiving.

btrojan
12-06-2006, 12:06 PM
When talking about people coming back next year, does anyone know the status of the 3 defensive guys that were suspended at the first of the year? Are they gone for good? (not requesting opionins just facts!) the weekly report put out before each game still tlks about them being suspended.

pat4troy
12-06-2006, 12:34 PM
From what I know, two of the suspended players will not be considered for readmission into the University.

troymarkus
12-06-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm not saying one way or another, but here are the facts. We've had Rowell and Pelton as co-DCs for the last 2 seasons (2005-2006) Before that we had Koening and Bolt. Here are the national rankings since 2002:

TOTAL DEFENSE

2006 71st
2005 24th
2004 16th
2003 39th
2002 4th

SCORING DEFENSE

2006 60th
2005 39th
2004 10th
2003 42nd
2002 30th

TURNOVERS CREATED

2006 78th
2005 101st
2004 2nd
2003 6th
2002 59th

kiwan
12-06-2006, 12:47 PM
The numbers speak for themselves.

FormerTrojan87
12-06-2006, 01:22 PM
One Conference Championship

kiwan
12-06-2006, 01:25 PM
I just got served! :)
See what happens when we have to wait 3 weeks for a ballgame.

Troy87
12-06-2006, 01:46 PM
My 2 cents.........

We talked about this very thing on Max'd Out today. The Co-DC thing had gone on as long as it needed. One of the two had to look for another position somewhere. They both were taught by Bolt and Koening, and together they were able to work with a verrrry young defense, that has responded here late in the season.

It's time for a single DC and I think JR can handle it. The things that are "wrong" with our Defense were wrong before Bolt and Koening left. We have a bad susceptability to the dual-threat QB, which has been the case for years (remember our first game at Mizzou). We haven't had many forced INTs in the last 2 years, nor have we had Demarcus Ware in the last 2 years. His extraordainary pass rush is what forced the INTs for our DBs. Find another DW and we have the DBs like Leodis McKelvin, Sherrod Martin, Tavares Wiliams, Henry Chubb, Elbert Mack and Terrence Moore to go get the ball. With guys up front like Junior Tagovailoa, Kenny Mainor, Marcus Pittman and Shawn Todd, putting on a rush, we will be in good shape for next season.

At this point though, I'm glad we don't have a game with Iowa State now. Head Coach Chizik, DC Bolt and DL Coach Pelton.....They may have the first Defense that averages negative yardage for their opponents next year.

TU/JSU Fan
12-06-2006, 01:52 PM
It isn't going to take Iowa State long to be very good.. Chizik is VERY good and we all know about Bolt..

I think a lot of the Interceptions in the past was because of DWare.. He was a major reason for that.

socrgoly25
12-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Up and down that defense of the past had playmakers on it. DWare was responsible for alot of the turnovers, but lest we forget Sullivan, Malone, Ansley, Faulk, Farmer, Davis, Johnson, on and on and on...

The thing I have always liked about this team is the Blakeney's ability to get everyone experience early in their college careers. Watching the replay of the Missouri game last night, I saw people stepping up that are with us today (Lloyd, Richardson).

formerlytsufan
12-06-2006, 02:10 PM
You got to be kidding me, Rowell is doing just fine. Get a clue! If anything we were young on defense this year and will be better next year!

Anyone who thinks Rowell is doing a good job is kidding themselves. Tell our dbs to quit paying 10 yards of the receiver when it is 3rd and 2.

TroyTuba
12-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Thank you, I got a little testy down at FIU because they were killing us on quick slants and stuff. I'd like to see our guys jam the recievers a little more in short yardage.

Nice Trojan
12-06-2006, 04:03 PM
They have been doing that all year. Getting killed on the slants and short stuff. BUt heck, we are conference champions.

Former QB's usually make the best DC's because all they know is how to read defensive schemes. This gives them a different perspective and they know what the QB is looking for. Maybe JR will do ok, maybe he won't. Either way, I think he should be given the shot. Maybe if LB shows complete trust in him, he will step up and do somethings he couldn't do this year.

Troy87
12-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Anyone who thinks Rowell is doing a good job is kidding themselves. Tell our dbs to quit paying 10 yards of the receiver when it is 3rd and 2.

Our DBs have to play off when we don't have a good pass rush. When the DBs have to maintain coverage because we let the QB stand back in the pocket for an hour looking for the receiver that eventually comes open, we can't press the man coverage. If a hard pass rush were there, we could press and play closer to the receivers and get those picks we were used to a couple of years ago.

As for the FIU game, I'm think JR and MP told the secondary not to let anything get behind them and to keep it all in front. I also think that's why Omar ran so much in the game too. Keep it simple and reduce mistakes.

formerlytsufan
12-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Our DBs have to play off when we don't have a good pass rush. When the DBs have to maintain coverage because we let the QB stand back in the pocket for an hour looking for the receiver that eventually comes open, we can't press the man coverage. If a hard pass rush were there, we could press and play closer to the receivers and get those picks we were used to a couple of years ago.

As for the FIU game, I'm think JR and MP told the secondary not to let anything get behind them and to keep it all in front. I also think that's why Omar ran so much in the game too. Keep it simple and reduce mistakes.

You are right but when has Troy ever played "man" coverage?

FormerTrojan87
12-08-2006, 08:27 AM
97-2001 we played a lot of man coverage.

formerlytsufan
12-08-2006, 11:19 AM
97-2001 we played a lot of man coverage.

Why did we stop? Could it be the coach?

TrojanWar
12-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Why did we stop? Could it be the coach?

We were probably getting beat on a lot of deep routes. When you have fast guys like DWare you can play zone because you can stop the deep threat and you have the speed on the inside to protect the short passes. Right now, we might be better playing a little of both.

formerlytsufan
12-08-2006, 12:19 PM
We were probably getting beat on a lot of deep routes. When you have fast guys like DWare you can play zone because you can stop the deep threat and you have the speed on the inside to protect the short passes. Right now, we might be better playing a little of both.

Reverse that...when you have fast guys like Ware, you can afford to play man defense. Man defense doesn't work if you can't get pressure on the QB. We play zone a lot because we our line is a little weak in the pass rushing department compared to years past.

TrojanWar
12-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Reverse that...when you have fast guys like Ware, you can afford to play man defense. Man defense doesn't work if you can't get pressure on the QB. We play zone a lot because we our line is a little weak in the pass rushing department compared to years past.

True. If you have a really fast secondary, man is good if you can stay in front of the receiver. When you are getting behind by 2 or 3 yards, that's when it starts going down hill. In a zone, the deep ball is still a threat, but you take away the inside game a little better and QB's tend to throw more int's. If you look at defensive schemes around the country, defenses playing zone coverage tend to get a few more interceptions than teams playing man exclusively.

D1Trojan4U
12-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Personally, I'm a fan of the "combo" cover as it used to be called, with zone and man being played at the same time.

TrojanWar
12-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Personally, I'm a fan of the "combo" cover as it used to be called, with zone and man being played at the same time.

Me too. I am not of fan of running one package exclusively. To me the offense is able to adjust faster than the defense and take advantage of the secondary.

TUTrojan
12-08-2006, 01:06 PM
I can easily think of at least five easy interceptions that we should have had- ones where balls hit our defenders in the hands and were dropped. I am sure there were several more chances where we could have gone for the ball but instead played for a solid hit on the receiver, which seems to be the game plan now. By the way, we really started seeing some chances for INTs when we started getting the good pressure from the front and blitzing linebackers over the last few games.

ThePowerMan
12-08-2006, 04:20 PM
I can easily think of at least five easy interceptions that we should have had- ones where balls hit our defenders in the hands and were dropped. .

That is why they are on defense instead of offense.

Troy87
12-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Because Jarrett Dillard is the primary offensive weapon for Rice (a' la Calvin Johnson at GT), I look for us to use a combo for the game with max coverage on Dillard.

Rice has a key guy on both sides of the ball; Dillard on Offense, and a Sophomore LB named Raines on Defense. Raines has 80 solo tackles and 30 assists this year and is tied for 4th in the country for TFL/Sacks. We should "run away" from him. Although this will give some of thier other defenders some opportunities, I think we have the offensive speed to beat them if we stay away from Raines. That and misdirection should slow down the pressure from the LBs. This seems to be a perfect set up for play action.