PDA

View Full Version : Bus Trip to NO

Rette
12-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Is the bus trip to NO still on??? Any details.

pkf4troy
12-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Yeah I would like some as well. Would we have to buy a seat and a ticket?? Will it be a down and back?? I am just concerned about the violence down there and not knowing where to park. I am not so concerned about myself, being a big fella, but I know the target would be my wife to make me react. Sad thing is I may be over reacting to the possibilities of what could happen, but with the type of job I do I was always taught to be cautious. Enough rambling.....sorry.

tsugaijin
12-05-2006, 09:33 PM
I think folks may be overreacting a bit. Yes things have been kinda sketchy in many areas but reasonable action will keep you out of trouble in any urban area (I can vouch for that mindset in NYC, Washington DC, Brussels, Sofia, LA and a few other areas in the last several months).

Bring yourselves down, stay in a hotel, cab around instead of walking in dimly lit or poorly trafficked areas, don't let your wife carry a purse, keep your money/a credit card/ID in your front pockets, don;t get so sheefaced you lose control and walk away from anybody trying to start something......these rules have gotten me through more places than I care to name.

TSUWhiner
12-05-2006, 09:53 PM
I am going by myself..kinda afraid to go..I hope can at least meet some people at the dome. I am driving from my parents house in Long Beach to the dome parking lot. I just wanna walk in and have no problems..I know things are not good there..my parents are very worried about me going by myself. Anyway, I hope some of you can PM..maybe I can come hang out in the tail gate area so I dont feel so isolated :) Thanks everyone!

Whiner

BMarkey
12-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Relax! It's no different than any big city. I'm sure cops (they do have them there now, right?) will be all over, at least to beat up homeless residents and harass journalists. :)

Look, many of us survived Legion Field. We can do this.

Bus Trip

Troy is offering a bus trip from Troy to New Orleans - leaving around 10 a.m. Dec. 21 and returning around 8 a.m. Dec. 23. Cost is $100 per person, which includes transportation and $40 game ticket. Hotel accommodations must be handled seperately.

Deadline for reservations is Dec. 15.

To get on board, call Troy Alumni Affairs at 334-670-3318, or Mike Amos at 334-372-2001.

Beanie Campbell
12-05-2006, 10:07 PM
don;t get so sheefaced you lose control and walk away from anybody trying to start something......these rules have gotten me through more places than I care to name.

It worked just like that with the gringo-haters in SJ????/???

I can't believe I'm hearing/reading this on this board. I would have pictured the Troy faithful hoping to be mugged so they can shoot someone.

"Pick up those shells Earl. I can reload'em."

TrojanWar
12-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I fully expect everyone will be safe and have a great time, but I'm not going to go down there thinking this is the safest city in America either. I suggest carrying some pepper spray at the least. There's probably a 99% chance it will not be needed, but that is a cheap measure to keep on you for protection. If you have a pistol and a valid license, that might be an idea as well. I will probably carry mine (unless I am out drinking or at the game). Like others have said, just be smart and I think we'll all have the time of our lives leading up to Christmas!

TU Rob
12-05-2006, 11:00 PM
If you have a pistol and a valid license, that might be an idea as well. I will probably carry mine (unless I am out drinking or at the game). Like others have said, just be smart and I think we'll all have the time of our lives leading up to Christmas!

Might want to rethink that one. I carry mine daily, but this past weekend as I was entering a stadium I was patted down. There was a no firearms/weapons sign posted at the entrance. I'm betting this is the same at the Superdome. I know it is at the BJCC and Legion Field, but since there are no pat-downs at Legion Field I was packing. I'd hate to see a fellow Trojan get in trouble for carrying where they weren't supposed to. This is one of the reasons I'm not going to the bowl game. If I could legally carry protection into the stadium (So I could have it after the game, where I would most likely need it) I would probably go.

Just realize that NO isn't exactly Birmingham or any other big city. I spent the weekend in Nashville, and live in Birmingham and never feel like I'm in danger. But from what I've heard about the situation in NO right now, it is not a normal city. Get some Mace and keep an eye out for trouble.

TrojanWar
12-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Might want to rethink that one. I carry mine daily, but this past weekend as I was entering a stadium I was patted down. There was a no firearms/weapons sign posted at the entrance. I'm betting this is the same at the Superdome. I know it is at the BJCC and Legion Field, but since there are no pat-downs at Legion Field I was packing. I'd hate to see a fellow Trojan get in trouble for carrying where they weren't supposed to. This is one of the reasons I'm not going to the bowl game. If I could legally carry protection into the stadium (So I could have it after the game, where I would most likely need it) I would probably go.

That's why I said:

I will probably carry mine (unless I am out drinking or at the game).

Most stadiums do not allow firearms at all. I plan to carry mine when I'm walking around the city sightseeing at night with my wife. Like I said, there is a very slim chance that it would be needed and I wouldn't worry about it in just about any other big city, but New Orleans is a little different at this time. That said, I'm not going to be looking over my shoulder at every turn either. I expect it to be calm and relaxed for the most part. Mace is the best idea for most people that do not carry a pistol.

TU Rob
12-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Sorry. I read quickly most of the time and missed the part about out at the game. I saw the out drinking part. Just stay safe.

D1Trojan4U
12-05-2006, 11:41 PM
I carry TWO guns with me at all times....they are affectionately nicknamed Ralphie and Larry.

"I got a hot mic here, and I got another hot mic here....and neither one of them like feedback."

TSUWhiner
12-05-2006, 11:43 PM
and right now in NO the murder rate and crime rate is worse than before the storm....I seriously hope security isnt an issue...maybe someone can calm me down about this one..I just wanna get to the Dome..get inside..enjoy the game..and get out of the city! LOL..I feel safer near the Mexican border right now than I would in N.O.!

Whiner

TrojanHoarse
12-05-2006, 11:55 PM
N.O. is not like a normal city right now. I'm not in the least worried, but I'm the kind of guy who is cautious, aware of his surroundings, and takes the right steps (like many of those above) and hence: I don't worry. There has been a steep increase in murders in the past few months in N.O. Population is down, but murders are not. SO BE CAREFUL, but Don't Be a Wussy either.

I have several friends living in the city and we have been down there many many times since Katrina. The tourist parts of town are well patrolled and as safe as ever (though N.O. has never been "safe"). N.O.P.D is out in force, especially when events like this bring tourists in. Though they have lost cops, the National Guard is still patrolling the worst/abandoned parts of town, so cops patrol heavily where people are. Just spend your time in the FQ, on Canal, or at the Superdome and you'll be fine. Go in groups and have fun.

Let the good times roll!!!

TrojanHoarse
12-06-2006, 12:00 AM
and right now in NO the murder rate and crime rate is worse than before the storm....I seriously hope security isnt an issue...maybe someone can calm me down about this one..I just wanna get to the Dome..get inside..enjoy the game..and get out of the city! LOL..I feel safer near the Mexican border right now than I would in N.O.!

Whiner

most of this is going on in the neighborhoods, not the tourist areas. dark streets, half inhabited, are an invitation to trouble. some of the nicer neighborhoods are even having problems, but the FQ is not worse than it was before the storm (again, caveat, it ain't never been great). Just don't get off the tourist beaten path - the cops are paying more attention to the tourists than ever now, because you are the city's biggest economic resource. they are dependent on tourists, and they know it.

Doug4Troy
12-06-2006, 12:02 AM
How cool is it that a bus trip thread turned into a concealed weapon discussion! That bus must be headed down to the Big Easy. LOL

Fortunately, Louisiana is among the many states that have entered into a reciprocal concealed weapons permit agreement with Alabama. http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64

Hopefully, none of these extra precautions will be necessary and the only bad encounter we will face will be the second coming of the crawfish etoufee we had before we drank that half gallon of bourbon.

Sarahbelle
12-06-2006, 07:44 AM
I carry TWO guns with me at all times....they are affectionately nicknamed Ralphie and Larry.

"I got a hot mic here, and I got another hot mic here....and neither one of them like feedback."

I carry three guns - a Glock 357SIG behind my right hip, a Glock 9mm behind my left and a NAA .22mag on my belt buckle. No big deal. :P

Sarahbelle
12-06-2006, 07:45 AM
most of this is going on in the neighborhoods, not the tourist areas. dark streets, half inhabited, are an invitation to trouble. some of the nicer neighborhoods are even having problems, but the FQ is not worse than it was before the storm (again, caveat, it ain't never been great). Just don't get off the tourist beaten path - the cops are paying more attention to the tourists than ever now, because you are the city's biggest economic resource. they are dependent on tourists, and they know it.

As long as you're in the French Quarter and aren't carrying a purse, camera bag, or anything else that looks theft worthy you'll be safe. I've been to NOLa in recent months and I felt more safe on Bourbon Street than I do at the Fillin' Station in Troy on any given night after dark.

BMarkey
12-06-2006, 07:55 AM
As long as you're in the French Quarter and aren't carrying a purse, camera bag ...

Uh-oh. So someone like me, carrying a nice used car's worth of gear, is in trouble? 'Hope not.

As for the bus trip, I can just see Alumni Affairs folks out there next to the Adams Center frisking all passengers for concealed weapons. :)

TSUWhiner
12-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Sara thats funny cause I just pictured you showing up to the Dome with a grenade launcher on your back..a couple of hand grenades on your belt and an uzi strapped to your front LOL

Whiner

Sarahbelle
12-06-2006, 08:07 AM
Uh-oh. So someone like me, carrying a nice used car's worth of gear, is in trouble? 'Hope not.

As for the bus trip, I can just see Alumni Affairs folks out there next to the Adams Center frisking all passengers for concealed weapons. :)

Yes, if you walk down Bourbon Street after dark carrying a big bag of camera equipment, don't be surprised if someone tries to snatch it off your shoulder.

Trojan1998
12-06-2006, 10:13 AM
As long as you're in the French Quarter and aren't carrying a purse, camera bag, or anything else that looks theft worthy you'll be safe. I've been to NOLa in recent months and I felt more safe on Bourbon Street than I do at the Fillin' Station in Troy on any given night after dark.

I agree Sarah. Troy after dark around the Fillin' and that general area has definitely taken a turn for the worse in recent years - or so it seems. I'm glad I'm not a student at Troy anymore. I have fond memories of the place, but it seems like the town and school have become more scuzzy since I graduated.

That's my rant for now!!! Go Trojans!!!

TU Rob
12-06-2006, 10:36 AM
I carry three guns - a Glock 357SIG behind my right hip, a Glock 9mm behind my left and a NAA .22mag on my belt buckle. No big deal. :P

It was all going good until you said that nasty G-Word. Do yourself a favor and get rid of those Blocks and get yourself an XD.

Navarre Trojan
12-06-2006, 11:06 AM

from Mobile to New Orleans, via Biloxi? I have never spent 'that' much time on a bus, but I would think we could 'all get along' for the 2.5 hour ride (each way). Especially since we should all be pulling for the same team!!!

Go Trojans

TrojanWar
12-06-2006, 11:54 AM
I carry a 45 auto. I had 9mm's for the longest time but once I switched, I'll never go back. If I were to carry a revolver, it would be a 357 mag (I've had some in cowboy action, but never in a self defense model). Sorry, I never intended to turn this into a weapons thread, but I think it is justified considering the circumstances.

TrojanFan2
12-06-2006, 01:06 PM
I'll have my 1911 --- sounds like we should be able the gain the upper hand in a gun fight as long as we don't get each other in a crossfire.

socrgoly25
12-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I used to be pretty skilled with a slingshot.....

RedEdgeTrojan
12-06-2006, 03:10 PM
If any one wants to borrow one on mine let me know (Colt Peacemaker 6' barrel .357; Colt King Cobra 4' bar .357; Astra A-100 .45; Ruger P85 9mm; preban CZ75 9mm; Baretta model 84 .380; a couple other cheap .380's; Ruger MarkII .22 for handguns and a few long guns including a preban PolyTech AK-47)!!

Looks like the Calvary will be in the Big Easy.

tsugaijin
12-06-2006, 04:48 PM
First let me establish the following:

1. I own a ton of guns, I am to quote WeSuck "just left of the militia movement"
2. I drink and raise heck and have all over the world in tons of urban areas. I have been in more than my share of altercations and had a brush with the law or two....never convicted.
3. Support anyones right to self-defense

That said:

Are you people for real!?! In another thread someone castigated folks for appearing as rubes and embarrassing TU to our opponents. So how exactly do you think they (and College Football at large to include the NO bowl) perceive you when the thread centers on taking guns into a stadium, walking around the French Quarter packing heat and fearing for your lives by simply visiting New Orleans. Pile that on top of folks complaining about paying $10 more a night for hotel and complaining that you have to pay for parking (and in case you are curious I am not wealthy...I work for the government).

So just for the record. If you accidently flash your piece in the Quarter or bring it in the stadium you best hope that I don't catch a glimpse....I'll be happy to introduce you to the nearest cop to review New Orleans' "finest"
policy on concealed weapons.

But I will still buy you a beer or 12 and cheer on TU.

I see that nothing changes around here. See you in another 2 years!!

TrojanWar
12-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I see that nothing changes around here. See you in another 2 years!!

I see no reason to make fun of the people that legally carry a gun. We already established that guns could not be carried into the stadium. Also, I doubt anyone is going to be walking around flashing their "piece" in public. If you feel like this issue will keep you away from the board, so be it, but I hardly think it is reason enough to stop posting.

jagd1305
12-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Let's everyone take a deep breath and step back from the munitions bunker.
I've been going into the Vieux Carre for over 25 years and have never had a problem there. My last visit was there for the opening of Mardi Gras this past year. Had a blast. Let's all just leave the roscoes nicely hidden away or at home and remember....
It's a freakin' game, not Haifa Street in Baghdad!

TrojanWar
12-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Let's everyone take a deep breath and step back from the munitions bunker.
I've been going into the Vieux Carre for over 25 years and have never had a problem there. My last visit was there for the opening of Mardi Gras this past year. Had a blast. Let's all just leave the roscoes nicely hidden away or at home and remember....
It's a freakin' game, not Haifa Street in Baghdad!

Probably right. I still plan to take mine, but I may just have it with my in the car. Once I'm downtown with all the other Troy fans, it should not be a big deal, especially since we'll be in groups most of the time. I truly expect everyone will be safe and have a great time.

Alum74
12-06-2006, 09:23 PM
No worries. There will be plenty of Rice fans celebrating our first bowl victory in so many years I can't remember.

Rice dominates Troy!

TrojanWar
12-06-2006, 09:25 PM
No worries. There will be plenty of Rice fans celebrating our first bowl victory in so many years I can't remember.

Rice dominates Troy!

Welcome to our board! I look forward to meeting a lot of the Rice fans in New Orleans.

pelliott
12-06-2006, 09:41 PM

Rice dominates Troy!

Good Luck and see you in Nawlins! Congrats on a great year.

Alum74
12-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Likewise...

kinda new to the trash-talk thing. we haven't been in position recently.
anyway, some of your trojan friends have been on our board urging us to come over so here i am. feel free to ask questions.

i will be the drunk person in new orleans thursday and friday. hope that helps you find me.

TrojanWar
12-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Likewise...

kinda new to the trash-talk thing. we haven't been in position recently.
anyway, some of your trojan friends have been on our board urging us to come over so here i am. feel free to ask questions.

i will be the drunk person in new orleans thursday and friday. hope that helps you find me.

I'll be the other one. Maybe we'll fall into each other at some point!

Seriously, I love this matchup as I grew up in a Southwest Conference home. Ken Hatfield is my all-time favorite coach. It looks like the new guy is doing very well, but I think Kenny was a class act.

TrojanWar
12-06-2006, 09:59 PM
For those that thought us gun toten' rednecks were taking it a little far..........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061206/us_nm/usa_guns_dc

TU Rob
12-06-2006, 11:22 PM
For those that thought us gun toten' rednecks were taking it a little far..........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061206/us_nm/usa_guns_dc

Just keep in mind that last year at a civic function, when the Mayor of Montgomery was asked what could be done about the increasing crime rate in the 'Gump, he said that citizens should get a gun and learn how to use it. Kind of ironic in the south that people would either:
A. Not already have a gun, or
B. Know how to use it.

Just goes to show how things have changed in the past 40 years.