PDA

View Full Version : Dothan Eagle Letdown Again!

ksdtrojan
12-01-2006, 09:20 AM
The Dothan Eagle has forgotten to produce its weekly football update! First we were left out because of the Iron Bowl. They made up for that with the update for the Palladium Rivalry. This week nothing, no recap, no preview, nothing. (Unless they are waiting until later today to post it which if they do I will recant my statements!) What gives? I guess they are Aubbies and Bammers like the rest of the state media. I know they cover Troy and do a great job with it but I just don't understand why they would give a recap of one of the biggest wins in school history and a preview of a game that will send the Trojans bowling. I bet they do a great preview of the Auburn and Alabama bowl games. You want to know why I don't like any BCS team or BCS conference, this is one of the biggest reasons. I still enjoy the Dothan Eagle coverage of Troy as it is the best coverage Troy gets outside of Pike County. The Trojan page on their website has some great articles about Troy and the Troy beat writer does a great job on the articles he writes. All I am asking is be consistent. It is almost like they are saying "Oh, by the way Troy is playing, too." when providing the updates. Oh well sorry for the rant! It just bugs me because I watch the weekly update, well, weekly, to see the Troy recap and preview/prediction of Troy's upcoming match-up.

BillyRubin
12-01-2006, 10:16 AM
The Eagle is a great paper for fishermen. It makes a fabulous wrapper for fresh caught snapper. Other than that, you won't get anything much useful from it.

socrgoly25
12-01-2006, 10:20 AM
I feel the same way. Local support sucks, for lack of a better term. When I went up to Murfreesboro the other day, I actually felt like it was "Home of the Raiders". More than half the time I'm looking around in Troy, I seldom see anyone wearing anything with Troy on it, except for maybe gameday. How hard is it for local businesses to put Troy merchandise (posters, jerseys) up, or maybe even have murals made (a la the now defunct Brittney's restaurant). Can't be too difficult! There's really no excuse anymore. Troy's solid in NOT just football, but many sports. Why is it so difficult to make this change in the local market?

(I'm headed to Miami now. Y'all play nice and I'll be back Monday)

The Messenger
12-01-2006, 10:57 AM
People from Troy (I grew up here so I know) and most of the student body are too blindly obsessed with Auburn and Alabama. It sucks big time but I've gotten used to it. I cheer for Troy, good, bad or indifferent.

pelliott
12-01-2006, 11:08 AM
The Dothan Eagle has forgotten to produce its weekly football update! First we were left out because of the Iron Bowl. They made up for that with the update for the Palladium Rivalry. This week nothing, no recap, no preview, nothing. (Unless they are waiting until later today to post it which if they do I will recant my statements!) What gives? I guess they are Aubbies and Bammers like the rest of the state media. I know they cover Troy and do a great job with it but I just don't understand why they would give a recap of one of the biggest wins in school history and a preview of a game that will send the Trojans bowling. I bet they do a great preview of the Auburn and Alabama bowl games. You want to know why I don't like any BCS team or BCS conference, this is one of the biggest reasons. I still enjoy the Dothan Eagle coverage of Troy as it is the best coverage Troy gets outside of Pike County. The Trojan page on their website has some great articles about Troy and the Troy beat writer does a great job on the articles he writes. All I am asking is be consistent. It is almost like they are saying "Oh, by the way Troy is playing, too." when providing the updates. Oh well sorry for the rant! It just bugs me because I watch the weekly update, well, weekly, to see the Troy recap and preview/prediction of Troy's upcoming match-up.

Does the Troy Sports Information Director help out? I am not sure but I have contacted the Athletic Department on several occassions by phone, leave a voice mail and two days later I get a call. Also, I have emailed recently on several occassions - NO RESPONSE - The more information provided to Media, the more coverage is my opinion - If I was SID - I would have every paper, radio, TV, etc. on an email list and they would all get an email of everything I could get to them - I don't think our Athletic Department has the staff - We should all contribute more $$$$$$$ - That is what it comes down to - $$$$$$$$

formerlytsufan
12-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Does the Troy Sports Information Director help out? I am not sure but I have contacted the Athletic Department on several occassions by phone, leave a voice mail and two days later I get a call. Also, I have emailed recently on several occassions - NO RESPONSE - The more information provided to Media, the more coverage is my opinion - If I was SID - I would have every paper, radio, TV, etc. on an email list and they would all get an email of everything I could get to them - I don't think our Athletic Department has the staff - We should all contribute more $$$$$$$ - That is what it comes down to - $$$$$$$$

Good luck getting anything out of Ricky Hazel.

pelliott
12-01-2006, 11:31 AM
We are the Alumni - I am not that close to Troy to know what all goes on, but if he can't get the job done - Put pressure on him to do the job or - get somebody who will

BMarkey
12-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Don't complain here. Write to the newspapers' sports editor, main editor and publisher (especially the publisher, who is concerned with circulation and advertising as well as news content).

If they get enugh letters, they will realize the readership they are irritating.

Troy's SID and staff are overworked and underpaid. I'm not sure the same can be said of the marketing people.

TrojanWar
12-01-2006, 12:57 PM
There is nothing wrong with our newspaper coverage of Troy. I think we cover the Trojans better than any other paper in Alabama. The gripe was about the video on the website. I've not been in the Dothan office much this week, so I'm not sure why they didn't do one.

BillyRubin,
If the Eagle is only good for wrapping fish, please tell me what paper gives more space to Troy athletics. I'm not sure how the subject changed to "local support" and "attire" but I'm pretty sure the Dothan Eagle is not the root cause of all the fans wearing Alabama and Auburn shirts and hats at Troy games.

This thread proves that no matter how good of a job someone does, there will still be a group of people complaining.

kiwan
12-01-2006, 01:05 PM
The Dothan Eagle is THE BEST paper for all things Troy related, they do twice as much as others including the paper 1.5 miles from campus.

TSUWhiner
12-01-2006, 01:46 PM
if we are under staffed..then what happen to all that facking money we are making off the moral victory games??????

Whiner

BillyRubin
12-01-2006, 05:09 PM
There is nothing wrong with our newspaper coverage of Troy. I think we cover the Trojans better than any other paper in Alabama. The gripe was about the video on the website. I've not been in the Dothan office much this week, so I'm not sure why they didn't do one.

BillyRubin,
If the Eagle is only good for wrapping fish, please tell me what paper gives more space to Troy athletics. I'm not sure how the subject changed to "local support" and "attire" but I'm pretty sure the Dothan Eagle is not the root cause of all the fans wearing Alabama and Auburn shirts and hats at Troy games.

This thread proves that no matter how good of a job someone does, there will still be a group of people complaining.

I'm not sure about the attire subject either...didn't metion it. Not complaining either...just stating opinion. I don't care what they cover honestly. I must admit I don't waste much time reading yesterdays news. I wouldn't be bragging about the most Troy coverage in Alabama either. Most papers don't cover Troy with any regularity...correct. Most don't cover anything else worthwhile either. It would be great though if the Eagle was different and went out of the way to cover Troy...especially since Dothan has the TUD campus and a large and growing number of successful Troy grads in town.

Trojan1stDown
12-01-2006, 07:20 PM
I feel the same way. Local support sucks, for lack of a better term. When I went up to Murfreesboro the other day, I actually felt like it was "Home of the Raiders". More than half the time I'm looking around in Troy, I seldom see anyone wearing anything with Troy on it, except for maybe gameday. How hard is it for local businesses to put Troy merchandise (posters, jerseys) up, or maybe even have murals made (a la the now defunct Brittney's restaurant). Can't be too difficult! There's really no excuse anymore. Troy's solid in NOT just football, but many sports. Why is it so difficult to make this change in the local market?

(I'm headed to Miami now. Y'all play nice and I'll be back Monday)

I can't stand the fact that hardly any of the local business on 231 have Troy flags or any other kind of visible support for the Trojans. People would have no idea that they are passing through a college town if it wasn't for the Troy University sign by Lee's Buffet. My girlfriend gets so tired of me complaining, but it makes me sick. Especially on gamedays. Horrible support for a school with 7,000+ students.

TUrocks
12-01-2006, 08:03 PM
I've said it before referring to local support, but I was at the 1993 1-aa playoff game at Marshall when they were still 1-aa. It was an amazing scene...the whole town was decked out in green and white....Marshall flags and regalia were everywhere. When we went to the game, you would have been hard pressed to find anyone wearing anything but a Marshall sweatshirt or Jersey. It was an awesome sight. Since that game, I have always been envious of Marshall for how much local support they get. I thought the South was the football capital of the world....I just don't see why there isn't more local support of Trojan football.

ksdtrojan
12-01-2006, 11:11 PM
I would think the mayor would encourage the merchants of Troy to deck their businesses with Troy decorations and that the city would embrace the Trojans also by decorating the town. I can only assume that the city of Troy has still not embraced the move to D1-A. If the citizens of Troy wanted it to happen it would. When is the next election? That talks! I don't live in Troy but if you want to get the attention of the people in charge of Troy let your votes speak.

TrojanWar
12-01-2006, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't be bragging about the most Troy coverage in Alabama either. Most papers don't cover Troy with any regularity...correct. Most don't cover anything else worthwhile either.

Was I bragging? I thought I was stating a fact because someone complained about our coverage of Troy. Instead of complaining about our coverage, why not send all those emails to the other regional papers for not covering Troy all that much. If you don't like the paper, don't buy it. It's obvious you don't read it, so why would you comment on it? Are you hoping to influence others to not read the paper?

TSUWhiner
12-01-2006, 11:23 PM
well I think in Marshall's case that community is really close after the plane accident that occured a long time ago...but yeah..they are good supporters of their team..I wonder if we will ever have fans like that before I die? LOL

Whiner

ksdtrojan
12-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Was I bragging? I thought I was stating a fact because someone complained about our coverage of Troy. Instead of complaining about our coverage, why not send all those emails to the other regional papers for not covering Troy all that much. If you don't like the paper, don't buy it. It's obvious you don't read it, so why would you comment on it? Are you hoping to influence others to not read the paper?
This thread was not intended to become a harp on the entire Dothan Eagle. I was only upset with the Weekly Football Update with Jon Johnson and the beat writers for each team. I just expected that they would have another episode after the thrilling victory over MTSU and with so much riding on the game against FIU.

Actually my wife's grandmother cut out the articles on the Miracle in Murfreesboro and mailed them to me and the articles are great. I love their coverage of Troy and it is by far the best we have. I just fully expected for them to cover this one last game before the bowls and was disappointed when they did not provide the weekly update.

TrojanWar
12-01-2006, 11:33 PM
This thread was not intended to become a harp on the entire Dothan Eagle. I was only upset with the Weekly Football Update with Jon Johnson and the beat writers for each team. I just expected that they would have another episode after the thrilling victory over MTSU and with so much riding on the game against FIU.

Actually my wife's grandmother cut out the articles on the Miracle in Murfreesboro and mailed them to me and the articles are great. I love their coverage of Troy and it is by far the best we have. I just fully expected for them to cover this one last game before the bowls and was disappointed when they did not provide the weekly update.

Like I said, I have not been in Dothan much this week, but if I had to guess, I would say they had their hands full this week. The Bama coaching search is the top news right now and that's what the readers are going to be looking for. Again, I have no idea for certain, but that's more than likely why they didn't sit down and make the video. It does take some time to prepare for and time was probably not something they had much of.

Nice Trojan
12-02-2006, 12:12 AM
I've said it before referring to local support, but I was at the 1993 1-aa playoff game at Marshall when they were still 1-aa. It was an amazing scene...the whole town was decked out in green and white....Marshall flags and regalia were everywhere. When we went to the game, you would have been hard pressed to find anyone wearing anything but a Marshall sweatshirt or Jersey. It was an awesome sight. Since that game, I have always been envious of Marshall for how much local support they get. I thought the South was the football capital of the world....I just don't see why there isn't more local support of Trojan football.

Back in the mid 90's we used to go around from business to business and paint TROY colors on their windows. You would not be suprised at how many said NO. Quite a few of them are also corporate owned and they blame the corporate system. But that is a bunch of BS. They are just more concerned with the other two teams in Alabama. Marshall is one of the "major" colleges in West Virginia. Just like 1-aa Montana had a buttload of fan support when we went out there to freeze our butts off. It will happen one day folks, one day. Maybe when my daughter goes to TROY it will happen. Maybe when her children go to TROY it will happen, or maybe when, well, you get the picture. But one day we will wake up and go, WOW, i remember when you could wake up Saturday morning, drive to TROY, park 10 feet from the stadium, buy a ticket on the 50 yard line, and get a hot dog under $100. 10-20-30 years form now, we will all be amazed at the growth. HOPEFULLY!!

pelliott
12-02-2006, 09:18 AM
I would think the mayor would encourage the merchants of Troy to deck their businesses with Troy decorations and that the city would embrace the Trojans also by decorating the town. I can only assume that the city of Troy has still not embraced the move to D1-A. If the citizens of Troy wanted it to happen it would. When is the next election? That talks! I don't live in Troy but if you want to get the attention of the people in charge of Troy let your votes speak.

I like the way you think - Totally agree! Find leadership that will take the town to the next level just like LB and the Athletic Dept. (All Sports). I don't think the town minds having 15,000 guests and their money in town (more like 25,000 when we play Oklahoma State next year)

troymarkus
12-02-2006, 09:22 AM
The Eagle is the best friend Troy athletics has! The coverage is by far the best we get from any paper--including the Messenger. Sending a reporter to EVERY game--home and away...being an hour away?? That is incredible in my mind.

BMarkey
12-02-2006, 10:01 AM
more like 25,000 when we play Oklahoma State next year

More like 250-500 if the game is on a Thursday. That's about the size of the crowd OSU brought to FAU last year.

Tums
12-02-2006, 11:50 AM
I appreciate the coverage that the Eagle has provided Troy. It is by far better than the Advertiser has ever done.
I guess some people just have to B!tch about something. :(

jt45
12-02-2006, 12:01 PM
if we are under staffed..then what happen to all that facking money we are making off the moral victory games??????

Whiner
It goes to make all our wonderful, low-tier sports run.

socrgoly25
12-03-2006, 03:03 PM
More like 250-500 if the game is on a Thursday. That's about the size of the crowd OSU brought to FAU last year.

I disagree. I think one of the main thing that attracts people to MGVS is name quality in the opponent. OK State has enough name quality where we should draw well, especially if we get the game on national television.

Buzz Lightyear
12-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Back in the mid 90's we used to go around from business to business and paint TROY colors on their windows. You would not be suprised at how many said NO. Quite a few of them are also corporate owned and they blame the corporate system. But that is a bunch of BS. They are just more concerned with the other two teams in Alabama. Marshall is one of the "major" colleges in West Virginia. Just like 1-aa Montana had a buttload of fan support when we went out there to freeze our butts off. It will happen one day folks, one day. Maybe when my daughter goes to TROY it will happen. Maybe when her children go to TROY it will happen, or maybe when, well, you get the picture. But one day we will wake up and go, WOW, i remember when you could wake up Saturday morning, drive to TROY, park 10 feet from the stadium, buy a ticket on the 50 yard line, and get a hot dog under $100. 10-20-30 years form now, we will all be amazed at the growth. HOPEFULLY!!

I and others are new fans over the past few years since MGS has enlarged and if you keep winning and getting to bowls and playing well against the big guys with the occasional upset the days ahead will be good ones. I hope the growth is such that as I get older and walk slower I'll have to anti up a tad more to still be close. BUT it will happen and it is slowly. Smack Rice around a tad or just win baby that is the next step. Be at the top or near the top year after year in this conference and it will happen. All in all GO TROJANS

BMarkey
12-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Troy fans will likely come out in numbers greater than they did this year (which was a real let-down, in my opinion).

My point was that no visiting team - even a BCS team - is going to travel well to Troy on a weeknight. Believe me, a trip to South Florida in the fall and a game at Dolphins Stadium was a big drawing point last year, but the Oklahoma State crowd was not impressive.

Remember how many Missouri people came to Troy on that Thursday in 2004? Not many.

'Just one of the disadvantages of Thursday games.

I am afraid that packing the early season with murderer's row games (and lots of early losses) badly hurts attendance. There is no real buzz and the fair weather fans just have no reason to come out for an 0-3 or 1-4 team. The SunBelt is plagued by this problem.

Navarre Trojan
12-04-2006, 07:39 AM
The Dothan Eagle is THE BEST paper for all things Troy related, they do twice as much as others including the paper 1.5 miles from campus.

We barely get a 'sniff' of anything Troy here in FWB, and it is the closest Division I program around! The Sports Editor, Perry Ballard, was Larry Blakeneys close friend in college. So much so that LB calls him "Scoop" and he won't print damn-it about Troy!

The Dothan Eagle does a GREAT JOB, especially compared to that daily down the street!

Troy87
12-04-2006, 10:29 AM
The Dothan Eagle, without a doubt, provides the best coverage of the Troy programs. Running a close second though, and surprisingly, is the Pensacola News Journal. There have been a number of articles this year and lots of coverage. There is a Troy grad on their Sports staff, and that does make a difference. Maybe that's how we get it done best....infiltrate newpaper sports staffs with Troy grads!

formerlytsufan
12-04-2006, 10:37 AM

Marshall only has to compete with 1 major college in their state and Montana doesn't have any major colleges other than Montana and Montana State. Troy has both Auburn and Alabama to compete with, which is a big disadvantage for us!