PDA

View Full Version : "Chicken Play"

O2MAN
11-27-2006, 05:03 PM
That is what LB called the 1st touchdown. I love it and agree 100%, when Arkansas ran it ORIGINALLY I thought.........that is pathetic for D-1 football. LB said it should be illegal. You can listen to the press conference at www.troytrojans.com

pelliott
11-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Hey - do any of you know what happened to Josh Allen - is he hurt? Did he fall out with coaches. etc.?

kiwan
11-27-2006, 05:11 PM
That has alot to do with a "chicken play"?

NWFLTrojan
11-27-2006, 05:29 PM
For us who were not listening at that time of the game and/or didn't see it, what was the "Chicken Play"?

socrgoly25
11-27-2006, 05:33 PM
For us who were not listening at that time of the game and/or didn't see it, what was the "Chicken Play"?

It was some kinda crazy, misdirection "fumble rooski', if you will. Marks slid it under the back's legs and took off the other way, and the running back scored.

Defense held them to two field goals (one of which was a 48 yarder to end the half), and two touchdowns off of trick plays. I'd say the defense is back.

TrojanWar
11-27-2006, 05:52 PM
You need a tiny, VERY fast player to make this work. Arkansas used Reggie Fish (he's tiny) so the defenders had no idea he was there. Once he got the ball, there was no time for the defense to adjust as the speed was more than enough for a first down. Keep in mind, this play works about once a year. A couple of teams have tried it this season with a little success after Arkansas ran it. Actually, that high school offensive coordinator everyone laughed about seems to be doing a heck of a job this season. The "Wildcat Formation" that Arkansas uses with McFadden at QB is being used more and more at other schools as well. I would never want LB to leave Troy for any reason, but if he did, Gus Malzahn would be my #1 choice as his replacement.

TU/JSU Fan
11-27-2006, 05:57 PM
I don't think Malzahn would come to Troy. He is probably a year or two away (or a SEC Championship and a BCS bowl victory) away from a HFC job at a BCS conference school. That guy is going to be one of the hottest prospects in a short time. I must admit that I figured the only reason that Arkansas hired him was to get the QB, but I think it has been one of the best moves Nutt has had. Arkansas is much better than they have been in a long time this year. I thought after the USC game they were history (I know.. game 1 never makes or breaks a season), but I figured they put it all out there then. I thought it was a fluke when they beat Bama and then another fluke when they beat Auburn. As the season went on I realized that they were the real deal.

TrojanWar
11-27-2006, 06:57 PM
I must admit that I figured the only reason that Arkansas hired him was to get the QB, but I think it has been one of the best moves Nutt has had.

And there goes the kick in the pants! Why does everyone think Nutt hired Gus? It's just not true. Malzahn was forced on Nutt by Jim Lindsey and Frank Broyles. Just imagine how good the Arkansas offense could be if Nutt would turn full control of the play calling over to Gus. Nutt is getting a lot more credit this year than he deserves. I agree though, Gus will be one of the hottest names in college football in a few years. His offense (Hurry Up No Huddle) is unreal! Most of the Arkansas fans call Gus "Spurrier on Steroids." Gus and Nutt do not have a great relationship. You might have figured that after Nutt refused to play Mustain last Friday even though Casey **** was 3-17 for 29 yards on the game. There is a lot going on behind the scenes in Fayettenam. Most of the Arkansas fans are hoping Houston gets one of the many jobs coming open and Gus gets promoted to head coach. I don't think it will happen, but it should. I have some media contacts that will not give me much information, but they all seem to know something is going on. We'll just have to wait and see. Anyway, Malzahn to Troy would be the sweetest thing in the history of college football in my book...if LB chooses to leave at some point. I'm just afraid it will be too late by then.

TroyTuba
11-28-2006, 12:52 AM
The fumble-rooski has been around forever and if trick plays give you an edge and the "W" than use them. The end around into a throwback that nobody covered is a trick play and nobody is talking about it being illegal. I wish we would run a trick play every now and then......fake a punt or something.

ksdtrojan
11-28-2006, 08:41 AM
I bet if we sign Jose Garcia we might try that same play. He is a 5'6", 175# WR that is high on Troy. We shall see!

TrojanWar
11-28-2006, 09:40 AM
I bet if we sign Jose Garcia we might try that same play. He is a 5'6", 175# WR that is high on Troy. We shall see!

That would be the perfect size. You have to figure out if the trade off is worth giving up a scholarship over. 5'6" is mighty small for a wide out.

D1Trojan4U
11-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Jose Garcia.....guys I'm really biting my tongue (more accurately my fingers) on this one. Cause the funny lines seem to be endless at the moment.

ksdtrojan
11-28-2006, 11:22 AM
That would be the perfect size. You have to figure out if the trade off is worth giving up a scholarship over. 5'6" is mighty small for a wide out.

Before you jump to conclusions look at the guy! He is a 3 star WR and is very quick.

socrgoly25
11-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Before you jump to conclusions look at the guy! He is a 3 star WR and is very quick.

I know. When I first saw his interest I immediately thought of Steve Smith of the Panthers. He's undersized, but may be the best receiver in the league.

Troy87
11-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Just for clarification about "trick plays", does anyone recall the first big play against FSU which was part of our drive for our first FG?

It was a toss from Omar to Banks, who then threw downfield to Rutledge. Chicken Play? Nah! It put them on their heels, and helped us the rest of the game.

kiwan
11-28-2006, 12:23 PM
"chicken play" is hiding behind the O-line

NWFLTrojan
11-28-2006, 01:25 PM
At 5'6 he better be fast, and if he is sign him up. Speed kills.

Does anyone remember Titus Dixon? Wasn't much bigger than 5'6 but could run a 4.2/4.3. He still holds the record for the longest play from scrimmage - a 99 yard touchdown reception from Mike Turk. He was good.