PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Bowl Eligible Teams

Navarre Trojan
11-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Just got this off of the CFN site. Although I don't care to much for their 'prognostication', this information is probably accurate. I hope so for the Sun Belt, anyway.

Let's go bowling!

By Pete Fiutak
2. So, you think your team is in for a post-season game because it made it to the magical six-win mark, right? Not quite. The rule is that 7-5 teams get a bid over 6-6 teams, so that means you might get your fill of Sun Belt teams like UL Lafayette and Middle Tennessee, and MAC also-rans like Western Michigan and Northern Illinois, and other teams like New Mexico, Rice, Tulsa and East Carolina over Arizona, Kansas, Washington State, UCLA, Pitt and Oklahoma State. Fine, so the teams that need to fill conference slots get in, but you won't see any at-large teams from bigger conferences. Is this fair or right? Should teams that got to winning records thanks to being above-average in lousy conferences get an extra game, the bowl dough, and extra practices over teams from top conferences with, for the most part, better schedules? It’s debatable, but one thing’s for sure; there’s absolutely no reason to schedule anyone of note on the non-conference schedule. It should be simple: games against non-Division-I teams shouldn’t be able to count towards the win total. Ever. It can count as a loss, but not as a win towards bowl eligibility. Currently, you can count one D-1 win towards bowl eligibility every four years.

Here is the site info. http://cfn.scout.com/2/594751.html

If this is true, then we may have 3 teams go bowling, that would be incredible for the Belt. I hope they all get in.

TU/JSU Fan
11-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Is CFN that far behind the times??

Didn't they do away with the 4 year rule on playing iAAs? I thought it was that now the wins count each year right? Hence why Troy played IAA schools two years in a row.

KAjunRaider
11-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Just got this off of the CFN site. Although I don't care to much for their 'prognostication', this information is probably accurate. I hope so for the Sun Belt, anyway.

Let's go bowling!

By Pete Fiutak
2. So, you think your team is in for a post-season game because it made it to the magical six-win mark, right? Not quite. The rule is that 7-5 teams get a bid over 6-6 teams, so that means you might get your fill of Sun Belt teams like UL Lafayette and Middle Tennessee, and MAC also-rans like Western Michigan and Northern Illinois, and other teams like New Mexico, Rice, Tulsa and East Carolina over Arizona, Kansas, Washington State, UCLA, Pitt and Oklahoma State. Fine, so the teams that need to fill conference slots get in, but you won't see any at-large teams from bigger conferences. Is this fair or right? Should teams that got to winning records thanks to being above-average in lousy conferences get an extra game, the bowl dough, and extra practices over teams from top conferences with, for the most part, better schedules? It’s debatable, but one thing’s for sure; there’s absolutely no reason to schedule anyone of note on the non-conference schedule. It should be simple: games against non-Division-I teams shouldn’t be able to count towards the win total. Ever. It can count as a loss, but not as a win towards bowl eligibility. Currently, you can count one D-1 win towards bowl eligibility every four years.

Here is the site info. http://cfn.scout.com/2/594751.html

If this is true, then we may have 3 teams go bowling, that would be incredible for the Belt. I hope they all get in.

If one more or even 2 more SBC teams get into a Bowl, how much do you want to bet that the "6-win" rule will be changed promptly ?

ksdtrojan
11-27-2006, 10:56 AM
If one more or even 2 more SBC teams get into a Bowl, how much do you want to bet that the "6-win" rule will be changed promptly ?

Most definitely! The haves always control the have-nots in D1-A football!

Pcbtrojan
11-27-2006, 10:56 AM
I hope so cause I hate seeing a 6-5/6-6 BC$ team get picked over a 9-2/9-3 team like what has happened to NIU and other teams over the years. Remember when NIU beat Bama in 03, went 9-2 or 9-3 and stayed at home. I believe they beat Maryaland at home also that year. Lets see how those BC$ schools do on our budget, facilities,etc, and schedules.

Navarre Trojan
11-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Is CFN that far behind the times??

Didn't they do away with the 4 year rule on playing iAAs? I thought it was that now the wins count each year right? Hence why Troy played IAA schools two years in a row.

Once they went to the 12 game schedule, you can count one D-1AA game per year towards bowl eligiblity. Now, if you play a 13 game schedule, you must win 7 games. Strange, but I know that there are some teams, like Hawaii's opponent this past weekend, that have a 13 game schedule.

Tom Green
11-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Does this mean that 7-5 MTSU should go bowling over 6-6 Bama? 'Cause that would make my holiday season complete. :D

Trojan1998
11-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Does this mean that 7-5 MTSU should go bowling over 6-6 Bama? 'Cause that would make my holiday season complete. :D

That's the rule. Alabama will be in the Independence Bowl though (without Mike Shula). MTSU will be in Detroit.

Tom Green
11-27-2006, 11:11 AM
That's the rule. Alabama will be in the Independence Bowl though (without Mike Shula). MTSU will be in Detroit.
So there aren't going to be enough 7-5 teams to fill up slots so a 6-6 team gets a bid? Interesting.

Btw, the Shula news makes my day. Although, I really thought he'd have another year.

Trojan1998
11-27-2006, 11:20 AM
So there aren't going to be enough 7-5 teams to fill up slots so a 6-6 team gets a bid? Interesting.

Btw, the Shula news makes my day. Although, I really thought he'd have another year.

The Independence Bowl is an SEC bowl game which means that they can take a 6-6 SEC team over a 7-5 or better out-of-conference team.

Tom Green
11-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Ok. I forgot about the tie-ins. The 7-5 over 6-6 is only for at-large bids.

Shucks. As much as I don't like MTSU, I hate Bama more and hoped they'd be sitting at home watching MTSU or ULL in a bowl game. :D

Trojan1998
11-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Ok. I forgot about the tie-ins. The 7-5 over 6-6 is only for at-large bids.

Shucks. As much as I don't like MTSU, I hate Bama more and hoped they'd be sitting at home watching MTSU or ULL in a bowl game. :D

I like Bama and for the sake of the program right now, I wish the Tide wouldn't go to a bowl game and instead just focus on getting the new coach in place (i.e, Spurrier, Petrino, etc.).

I predict right now that Bama will beat your Seminoles in Jacksonville next October!!!

Tom Green
11-27-2006, 11:51 AM
They might do it, but I don't like either team. You see, after we gave FSU all they could handle, I put the most ironic quote I could find in my signature. That's the reason for the smiley afterward.

Trust me, I'm a Trojan through and through. :)

Trojan1998
11-27-2006, 12:30 PM
They might do it, but I don't like either team. You see, after we gave FSU all they could handle, I put the most ironic quote I could find in my signature. That's the reason for the smiley afterward.

I gotcha. I have too much on my mind today!!!

TSUWhiner
11-27-2006, 01:50 PM
I dont like Alaslama or Aublow..I wish both of them would not go to a bowl game..now put that one in your napsack

GO TROY
GO MTSU
GO ULL

ALL BOWL Bound baby!!!

Whiner

Trojan1998
11-27-2006, 01:54 PM
I dont like Alaslama or Aublow..I wish both of them would not go to a bowl game..now put that one in your napsack

GO TROY
GO MTSU
GO ULL

ALL BOWL Bound baby!!!

Whiner

ULL's not going to a bowl game this season. The Hawai'i Bowl, by contract, will have to take one of the 6-6 PAC 10 teams such as Arizona. CFN made a mistake in their bowl projections.

I looked at the Hawai'i message board on scout.com and they were pissed about the "possibility" of playing ULL. They only want to play someone from the PAC 10 or a "major" conference.

Nice Trojan
11-27-2006, 03:18 PM
I dont see how the whole Hawaii Bowl is fair. They only want Hawaii in the bowl, cause no one else has enough fans to come out there and make money. That would be like Alaska forming a team and creating their own bowl.

The Messenger
11-27-2006, 03:46 PM

You better preach it, Mike!

tntrojan
11-27-2006, 07:42 PM
I wonder if this will put pressure on the big boys to schedule us "mid-majors" in an attempt to get that 7th win? Perhaps our AD is in a driver's seat now and can demand the BCS boys come to Troy in search of that 7th win.
Just a thought.

TSUWhiner
11-27-2006, 08:26 PM
I think your right. I would for UCLA to say..wow why didnt we get in a bowl game we can beat Troy. So UCLA will have to come play in our house..or any other team thats 6-6 right now..hell I think the SBC should start demanding it....we have 3 freaking bowl eligible teams..its time our conference start nutting up on these so called Super stars....I want us to play someone like UCLA..smack them around..etc :) I loved when MTSU beat Alacrapa! Priceless!!

Whiner