PDA

View Full Version : I found this article Interesting

troyfan
11-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Western Kentucky is going 1-A. The Belt will now have 9 teams. They can foresee Troy coming to WKU in 2007. The level of play for the Sun Belt is getting better and this addition will help.

http://www.wkusports.com/news.cgi?article=4842

CHughes1102
11-02-2006, 06:14 PM
I think that this is good for the Belt. The WKU football team is starting to get better.

Nice Trojan
11-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Awesome news. I have been looking for that article all day. I am glad to hear that they approved the move and lI ook forward to the Big Red Blob's return to MGVS.

littlebittyschool
11-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Do ya'll realize what this means? 8 conference games. 4 home, 4 away. Every year! That leaves us with 4 games left on the schedule. We can go 1 home game with an Alabama State (or another local D1AA team). 1 Big Time Money game with no return (the more money, the more better, preferably somewhere close enough the team and fans can bus to). 1 Game against a mid-tier BCS team that we can get a 1 for 1 or 2 for 1 deal with (like Oklahoma State) and 1 game with a regional opponent from another mid major (like UAB, Memphis, Southern Miss, UCF, etc.) that we play home and away each year.

This synergizes everything in all sports. True rivalries! No real need to try to jump to another conference. I think the Sunbelt can be in the top 3 midmajor conferences in every sport year in and year out very, very soon. (Already there in baseball and with FAU coming in this year, we could be top 5 nationally).

Sunbelt needs to do just 2 more things. Get another bowl bid and help Denver find a new home.

This is a good day.

TU/JSU Fan
11-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Chughes..

You show promise every once and a while with your knowledge for College Sports and then you say "WKU Football team is starting to get better". That just shows how little you know..

2002 National Champions

Div 1AA playoffs 2000-2004

last year they were still pretty good even though they didn't make the playoffs (Northern Iowa was in the Gateway and went to the IAA Championship game) This year they are atop the Gateway standings with 2 - 3 games left.

I hardly think that they are 'getting better' as they have been tremendously consistent for many years now.

Will they come in and immediately dominate the Sunbelt like they think they will?!? Hardly. FAU went to the IAA Semifinals the year before they made the transition and they have struggled mightily ever since.

WKU will probably do the same, but... They do have one advantage over FAU they have had football for a lot longer time to build a tradition. I know that many athletes that would go to Kentucky will probably go to Western now that they will be 1A. They will get better and will compete for a Sunbelt title pretty quickly, but it isn't going to happen in 2009.

I for one hate to see them leave IAA as they are always a fun team to watch.

(btw.. they got BLOWN OUT by UGA earlier this year 44-0)

MB

troyfan
11-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Do ya'll realize what this means? 8 conference games. 4 home, 4 away. Every year! That leaves us with 4 games left on the schedule. We can go 1 home game with an Alabama State (or another local D1AA team). 1 Big Time Money game with no return (the more money, the more better, preferably somewhere close enough the team and fans can bus to). 1 Game against a mid-tier BCS team that we can get a 1 for 1 or 2 for 1 deal with (like Oklahoma State) and 1 game with a regional opponent from another mid major (like UAB, Memphis, Southern Miss, UCF, etc.) that we play home and away each year.

Sunbelt needs to do just 2 more things. Get another bowl bid and help Denver find a new home.

This is a good day.

I agree. As long as the Belt continues to improve the quality of play, there is no way the belt will not get a 2nd bowl game in the future. The Birmingham Bowl would be a good one.

ksdtrojan
11-03-2006, 11:31 AM
2002 National Champions

Div 1AA playoffs 2000-2004

Troy was great in D1-AA but WKU has a D1-AA NC something Troy doesn't have. This definitely will make the SBC more competitive.

I for one hate to see them leave IAA as they are always a fun team to watch.

Ummmm! You will still get to see them play because Troy will play them as a fellow SBC member.

TUrocks
11-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Chughes..

(btw.. they got BLOWN OUT by UGA earlier this year 44-0)

MB

Well, we got blown out by Nebraska 56-0.....does that mean we don't belong here also???

TU/JSU Fan
11-03-2006, 12:43 PM
I didn't say that WKU didn't belong in IA. In fact I think they will be just fine. I was simply pointing out to Chughes that they were hardly 'getting better' and that they were very consistent in their play over the past 10 years (10 winning seasons in a row).

I just mentioned that they got beat pretty badly by a UGA team that is 'down' this year. Basically it was a side note.

KDSTrojan.. You have a good point. It will be nice to watch them in MGVS over the next few years! I have been to WKU (to watch them BLOW out JSU 49-7 in the iAA playoffs in 2004) and it was a nice place, but they didn't have 2 sets of stands. Only on the home side. That is what they are talking about when they mention all the new seating. That will be where the large empty field is currently! : ) I think WKU is going to be fun to include in the SBC.

MB

ksdtrojan
11-03-2006, 02:29 PM
I think WKU is going to be fun to include in the SBC.

MB

Yeah I am excited about this addition. 8 conference games will help every SBC team with scheduling. This is definitely great news.

Troy87
11-04-2006, 09:19 AM
The biggest challenge facing WKU is their attendance at games. They have been averaging about 8,500 per game, which has got to improve. They have begun a $37M football facility improvement project that based on the description will be somewhat similar to Troy's press box facility, except they plan to house the entire program (Coaches' offices, weight/training, etc.) in the 3-story facility.