PDA

View Full Version : Column in Trop

socrgoly25
10-20-2006, 02:14 PM
"Roll Tide! War Eagle!"

-Michael Rodgers

Well folks, the football team finally got back where it belongs--in the win column, but let me tell you, they couldn't have done it without the spectacular fan support on Saturday.
Everyone did such a fantastic job cheering that the game was far out of reach before the first half was even over.
If I wasn't in the band and forced to stay for the entire game, I'd sure leave before halftime, too.
After all, I wouldn't want to miss Alabama pulling it out against SEC powerhouse Ole Miss.
I'd also make sure they didn't move the kickoff to the Auburn game up an hour or four.
Even though I'd be at the Troy game, I'd still wear Auburn and Bama gear because those two schools have done so much for me.
First of all, they've.....well.....and then there was that one time.....oh, I'll just come back to this later.
What's Troy done for me?
An education and some of the best friends I'll ever have?
Big deal.
Just because I don't have any relation whatsoever to other universities in the state doesn't mean that I can't watch their game over Troy's.
And what exactly does that old saying "Dance with the one that brought you" mean anyway?
After I get a job, maybe I can get into the Trojan Club where they serve food and stuff and watch the other games from up there.
Okay guys, I give up.
I tried to understand this attitude.
I really and truly did, but it just didn't take.
Thank goodness there were some true Trojan fans there Saturday.
Of the 19,415 people that were officially there, maybe 5,000 stuck around for the whole game.
Sure, Troy led 17-6 at halftime, but Louisiana-Monroe pulled to within four points on their first drive of the second half, and it was a dogfight from there on out.
The team needed support, and where was everyone?
Somewhere else.
I'm not just talking about the students, either.
Students have been bailing on games before the third quarter as long as I've been here, and I still haven't figured out why.
I guess they've made their social appearance and it's time to a) go watch another game, b) imbibe heavily, or c) both of the above.
I fail to see the logic in making the effort to come to a Troy game and then leaving to watch another game on TV, whether you're a student or a regular fan.
You know what the best part of Saturday was?
There were more than 1,000 high schools students present for both Fall Preview Day and Band Day.
I guess we really showed them what Troy spirit is all about.

I really enjoyed reading his column. If he doesn't post on or read the forum regularly, he would fit in nicely with our daily banter. I'm going to make it a point to let him know that I appreciate his mindset on the issue and called out the students in a way that everyone could hear it. Now the issue is whether or not the students will get the message.

TSUWhiner
10-20-2006, 02:19 PM
man you should have seen when a certain sorority was doing a stupid skit about Chinese people..wow did the letters fly in..slamming the sorority every way it could be slammed..and of course they never go to the games..they have to have a party celebrating Alacraps victory or something...

Whiner

AC4Troy
10-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Not sure if it is still this way but most of the frats/sorority require their pledges to go the games - but are only asked to stay until halftime. So that is a big reason why people leave after the half.

SOTSAlumBigGuns
10-20-2006, 05:06 PM
I've always heard they were required to go as well...if they are required to go, then they need to require them to wear a friggin' TROY shirt! I still to this day will never understand girls wearing tiny ass dresses as short as anything with stripper heals walking up and down those stairs. I'm surprised one of them hasn't killed herself falling. They also make the frat guys wear coats and ties when it's like 100 degrees outside. Give these people a break! Sorry...this issue has always bugged me.

TSUWhiner
10-20-2006, 06:05 PM
agreed..noone gives a shat if they are dressed up! noone...its not like they are interviewing for a job!

ksdtrojan
10-21-2006, 12:38 AM
agreed..noone gives a shat if they are dressed up! noone...its not like they are interviewing for a job!

I would not hire them based on their committment level to the organization with which they are currently involved.

BMarkey
10-21-2006, 06:25 AM
Good column; sad situation.

Tums
10-21-2006, 08:55 AM
"Roll Tide! War Eagle!"

-Michael Rodgers

Of the 19,415 people that were officially there, maybe 5,000 stuck around for the whole game.

While that statement may be true, it does allow Troy to meet the attendance standard and pay the bills. I kind of like being in 1A trying to balance a budget rather than being in 1AA and broke. If AU or UA fan wants to come watch part of a Troy game then let them. I know I have been to UA before watching games in my Troy shirt and leave. When the stadium reaches full capacity with Troy fans I will perfectly understand asking them to leave. Until then I will not be complaining.

vosottroy
10-21-2006, 09:27 AM
I was speaking with a die hard Auburn fan yesterday (and by die hard I mean an Auburn tattoo, an Auburn ringtone, and Auburn flags on his truck) and asked him if he was going to homecoming against Tulane. He is a season ticket holder, and he said he was staying at home to watch the Bama-Tennessee game. I'm afraid every school has fans like that.

littlebittyschool
10-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Why do we bring up this topic every year like it's the first time it's ever happened? Students have been leaving early since, well, since I was there 10 years ago and probably the people that were there 10 years ago, and so on and so forth.

I think there has been a big improvment on the "gear" situation though. I don't see near as many Aubbie or Bammer or other kinds of apparell as there used to be. Actually the thing I notice most is that many people actually wear TROY gear. As far as fraternities in suits and sororities in sundresses, that's a southern football thing that you'll see anywhere. I'd much rather see hot young college babes in skimpy dresses like they do down south than the big ole corn-fed northern women in blue jeans and oversized sweatshirts like they do up north. They can put a Troy sticker or pin on their dress or a Troy bow in their hair, that's good enough for me. If we ever can get all co-ordinated and wear the same shirt or same color of shirts for white-out, red-out, or black-out, or lime-green out, or whatever, then I'd expect them to wear that. But those type of things should be special.

What was our attendence before we went D1? Were those other 10,000 plus people that go to the games just hiding under the stadium? They had to come from somewhere. There's going to be some part timers in there. But my point is, they are there. Whether they are paying attention or not, they had a choice of where to be and they chose to be in Troy.

The people you should really be concerned with are the folks that could be there, should be there, but are not there. With no real reason not to be there.

We listed all kinds of ideas to keep people to stay for the whole game. Give-aways in the 4the quarter, special promotions, all sorts of stuff. For whatever reason, the athletic department doesn't do them or does them half-arsed. The thing is, there's no silver bullet that will just magically fill the stadium up with people all wearing nothing but Troy gear and staying til the final horn. It's a lot of little things and it's a lot of time. The athletic department just needs to shift the thinking from, "We can't afford to" to "We can't afford not to."

One last word of advice to the department. It's easier to make a big day bigger than it is to make a little day big. Let's have some BIG games throughout the year. One's that should be big (like Oklahoma State or important conference games) and should be pumped to the extreme. Just like players, fans can't and won't get up for every single game, but I bet they can go all out for 1 or 2. We're expecting 25K for Okie State? Shoot for 35K. It's easier to build on a base than try to build the base. I'm not saying give up on the not so desireable games, on the contrary, the base you build by making big days bigger will start to trickle down into your season long fan base. A rising tide raises all boats.

If you have 5 home games that you must spread out all of your resources to promote, but you don't feel like you can do it correctly, then don't try to promote all 5 games. People in advertising will tell you it's better to do something and do it right and heavy for 9 months and let the last 3 months go instead of trying to stretch it out for 12 months and do it half way.

TroyPremier
10-21-2006, 11:28 PM
The silver bullet is winning.......

Win consistently.

Nobody can argue with this. If we do this, then all other issues resolve themselves.

goe1975
10-22-2006, 09:41 AM
The silver bullet is winning.......

Win consistently.

Nobody can argue with this. If we do this, then all other issues resolve themselves.

Ding!!!!!!!!!!

Trojan1998
10-23-2006, 08:51 AM
I've always heard they were required to go as well...if they are required to go, then they need to require them to wear a friggin' TROY shirt! I still to this day will never understand girls wearing tiny ass dresses as short as anything with stripper heals walking up and down those stairs. I'm surprised one of them hasn't killed herself falling. They also make the frat guys wear coats and ties when it's like 100 degrees outside. Give these people a break! Sorry...this issue has always bugged me.

Guys dressing up in coats and ties and females wearing dresses is a long-standing southern tradition at college football games. It's not only done at Troy, but virtually every southern college or university that have football teams. I actually like it because it shows class and is what makes college traditions in the South so much better than anywhere else. Go to Ole Miss for a game and walk around the Grove and you'll see the most beautiful women in sun dressess and guys dressed to a "T". I was in a fraternity when I was at Troy and because of that, it gives you a since of pride in keeping that tradition alive. For the Indys on this board, just let it go because you obviously don't understand.

And students often leave at a lot of stadiums that I've been to when the game is in hand at halftime. It's not just a Troy problem. It doesn't make it acceptable but it's a fact nonetheless.

Have a wonderful day my fellow Trojans.

TrojanWar
10-23-2006, 09:46 AM
I talked with some frat guys at the last home game and they were complaining about wearing the coats and ties. They said it was too hot, and really it was a mild day. I had to do it back in the day, but looking back I think it was silly and I think the guys doing it feel the same way. Tradition is hard to break.

TroyPremier
10-23-2006, 11:06 AM
It's a matter of chapters saying....."Hey guys, no more dressing up for football games. Tell your dates to wear Troy sportswear."

It's the dumbest thing I've seen at a football game and it's only done in the Southern US.

TU/JSU Fan
10-23-2006, 12:50 PM
I agree.. It A) looks stupid and B) doesn't promote School spirit.

These guys (and gals) are there because they are told to be and then they aren't even in Troy gear. I would rather have folks there that want to be there.. I assure you that if you let them dress however they want then there is a good chance that they would enjoy themselves a lot more.

Of course.. What do I know? I am as far from a Frat boy as you will find.

MB

tsu00
10-23-2006, 01:59 PM
I think that this "since of pride" you guys feel really has no basis in reality, but what do I know, I have always been an Indy...........

jt45
10-23-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm in a fraternity at Troy and myself and many members of our organization choose to wear that type clothing. I, personally, have a pair of cardinal pants that I wear with a white dress shirt and a cardinal/black tie. Several of my brothers wear similar while others just wear Troy shirts. I think it's all in how you do it. If you look at schools like Auburn and Alabama even GT (I noticed this from some of our brothers at that chapter), they wear the shirt/tie/coat but they have it in their schools colors. I think that is the best route, that way you still have the tradition, but you are still supporting your school.

TroyPremier
10-23-2006, 02:29 PM
And your fraternity is the only one that cares more about supporting the team than leaving after halftime.....well the only noticeable one.

Nice Trojan
10-23-2006, 02:43 PM
have a pair of cardinal pants that I wear with a white dress shirt and a cardinal/black tie. Several of my brothers wear similar while others just wear Troy shirts.

There were a few guys at the GT game wearing cardinal slacks and Troy ties They were sitting in the bottom section near the cheerleaders. I thought that was a classic look. Makes it more enjoyable. I am all for that. Heck I dont care what anyone wears to games as long as while they are there they are cheering for Troy. I like the fans that are dressed like fanatics or in "different" outfits and are noticeable.

TrojanWar
10-23-2006, 04:34 PM
I think we need a new "fashion" forum here at GTT.com with all the talk about what people wear to games every week.

ksdtrojan
10-23-2006, 04:42 PM
I think we need a new "fashion" forum here at GTT.com with all the talk about what people wear to games every week.

Funny! And True!

kiwan
10-23-2006, 04:50 PM
I have a fabulous new attire I plan to wear sat. It is made by `Ad-i-das and I bought it at Tar-ge`t. I am soooooooo excited about the way it looks on me, everyone is gonna be soooooooooooo jealous.

goe1975
10-23-2006, 09:02 PM
For the Indys on this board, just let it go because you obviously don't understand.

No, I did not pay to have friends in college. However I was in the 7th Infantry Division which, I admit, is probably a little different. By the way, guys talking about fashion: gay as hell.

Troy91
10-24-2006, 01:55 PM
I didn't pay to have friends either, but I was in a fraternity. You must have a chip on your shoulder or something.

goe1975
10-24-2006, 07:35 PM
You got me. Actually it's about a half ounce of shrapnel.

Troy91
10-25-2006, 06:14 AM
Thanks for serving our country.