PDA

View Full Version : Fred Hawkins - New Recruit Committment from Luverne per Dothan Eagle

ksdtrojan
10-03-2006, 07:03 AM
Luverne start commits to Troy

Jon Johnson / Eagle Staff
October 3, 2006

advertisement
Luverne star running back Fred Hawkins says he would like to continue his football career at Troy University.

Hawkins said Monday he's committing to the Trojans after receiving scholarship offers from Ole Miss and Kentucky.

Commitments are non-binding. The official signing day is in February.

"They want me as a running back," Hawkins said as a key reason for wanting to play at Troy.

"The others (Ole Miss and Kentucky) were looking at me as a defensive back."

Hawkins, a 6-foot-2, 185-pounder, has rushed for 450 yards in helping Luverne to a 5-0 start this year in Class 2A. He was a first team all-state performer last season after rushing for 1,300 yards and 26 touchdowns.

"I go to Troy a lot and really like it there," Hawkins said.

Luverne coach Brad Waggoner calls Hawkins a great player.

"He carried our team last year as a junior (during 9-3 season),'' Waggoner said.

Two other local players - Houston Academy running back Stanley Jones and Eufuaula quarterback Jerrell Jernigan - committed to Troy two weeks ago.

Luverne hosts region foe Highland Home Friday.

kiwan
10-03-2006, 08:45 AM
It is great to see commitments from 3 players within an hours drive. We are finally starting to pay attention to local kids and vice verse.

ksdtrojan
10-03-2006, 09:55 AM
It is great to see commitments from 3 players within an hours drive. We are finally starting to pay attention to local kids and vice verse.

I thought that too, kiwan! If we continue to get these local kids it is bound to help the fan base.

BMarkey
10-03-2006, 10:03 AM
It's great to see recruits choose Troy over SEC teams!

Tums
10-03-2006, 12:59 PM
This kid has alot of potential.

ksdtrojan
10-03-2006, 07:46 PM
This kid has alot of potential.

He is a star on the hardwood also! He was invited to be on an Alabama All-Star team that competed against other states All-Star teams on the hardwood. He looks to be a great athlete. He can not be found on either rivals or scout if you search for his name. I find this very interesting that small school athletes often do not make it onto these recruiting sites until they sign with a team. Many big schools overlook this talent as well unless the high school coach has some connections with a specific university.

Tums
10-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Fred has a very limited spot on scout that is hard to find.
Fred Hawkins (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=383&p=8&c=1&nid=2658087)