PDA

View Full Version : Possible GoTroyTrojans.Com Move

faithintsu
09-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Once again, GoTroyTrojans.Com has been contacted by another website that wants to partner with GoTroyTrojans.Com.

This time it was scout.com. Last time it was Rivals.Com

I am not going to go into another long write up like I did last time (http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2371), you can vote and let me know how you feel.

I am going to guess we will all vote no again, but I told Scout.Com I would ask the readers.

TrojanWar
09-27-2006, 03:36 PM
I vote no. I like our "independant" site. I've never been a fan of Scout, Rivals, or any other similar boards.

kiwan
09-27-2006, 03:45 PM
This is the only site I have been on that I can understand and keep up. I vote NONONONONONO!

Doug4Troy
09-27-2006, 03:58 PM
No, I like the board just as it is.

Thanks Jeff!

TUTrojan
09-27-2006, 04:32 PM
This is one of the most user-friendly forums anywhere.

Keep us Indy.

Sounds like another pledge drive could be coming, though?

honestjarvis
09-27-2006, 04:33 PM
I know that I haven't been a member for a very long time, but I have followed the action of GTT and I do not feel that we need to move on to Rival or Scout. CattouseFan provides accurate and up to date info on any of the recruits that you need to know about and we have a smooth running site.

SOTSAlumBigGuns
09-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Nope. I love this site just the way it is.

Scoots71
09-27-2006, 06:18 PM
If we do that, we get even more scum from other schools posting on our board.

bigguyonright
09-27-2006, 06:21 PM
i vote no. i like our big disFUNKtional independent family just the way it is, and by the way, on the poll it says that 5 people voted yes,who are these traitors to the cause. ill bet it was Blazer B.

faithintsu
09-27-2006, 07:00 PM
To be honest I voted yes, I know some think that is crazy but I have been for the move since last year, but always felt this was a board made up of the readers and contributors so I always go with what everyone wants to do.

ksdtrojan
09-27-2006, 08:08 PM
To be honest I voted yes, I know some think that is crazy but I have been for the move since last year, but always felt this was a board made up of the readers and contributors so I always go with what everyone wants to do.
Jeff
Out of curiosity what are the benefits of moving the site? I am interested in knowing the benefits you see from rivals. Could you list the pros that you see from a move to either rivals or scout? I read your comments from when rivals was interested last year. I must have missed it last year but I thought this board would become a pay site like all the other schools. I see that is not the case and would like to know more. Also if this site moved over to either scout or rival, would their coverage of our scouting process improve?
Thanks
Kevin

faithintsu
09-27-2006, 10:06 PM
The way I understand Kevin is the only way you can get access to that Scouting content is to pay for it.

Other benefits would be a dedicate staff providing information on GoTroyTrojans.Com, i.e weekly articles, press conference information etc..

Take a look at www.gomiddle.com, it was offered the same gig I was for GTT.Com and they decided to move to it. The message board format would change, but there would still be a message board. There would be add of content being written from the scout or rivals folks, plus the articles I write.

It would also help troy gain much more national attention, as currently there is no rivals or scout websites for Troy. On top of that, it would give the publishers some national exposure for their content.

Of course there are much smaller things like they pay all of the fee's for web hosting, bandwidth, etc. They take care of the site updates, software updates, etc... Those are all minor things though.

With that being said, I have always made it known that this website will be up and running as long as I am alive. I have never made a decision (like this one) without seeing what the masses want, as this site is truly ran by the fans. So whatever we all decide is what will happened. As I predicted though, we will more then likely not move.

Below are the e-mails I exchanged back and forth with the gentleman at scout.com

Hi Jeff,
My name is Ben Beachler and I work in the marketing department at Scout.com. Scout.com is actively pursuing a publisher for our Troy website and I have been tasked with finding the right publisher to fit that role. Our goal is to build out our Sun Belt conference coverage within the next year to give the conference the attention it deserves.
>From covering server costs to the help of our recruiting experts that
are assigned to specific regions we are able to give our publishers tremendous support to succeed.

Scout.com has over 3 million unique users and is owned by FOX Interactive Media (which owns our sister company MySpace.com). Our content is also syndicated to the college team pages at FOXSports.com.
As you can see this is a tremendous opportunity.

If possible I would like to set up a time to talk about your site, our network, and the opportunity that we presently have. Could you provide me with a number and a time that would be good for you?

Thank You,

Ben Beachler

Marketing/Network Development
www.scout.com
206.xxx.xxx

Ben,

Exactly what are you looking for?

Are you wanting to take over the name GoTroyTrojans.Com or are you
wanting to hire me to write columns on Troy?

~Jeff Vreeland
GoTroyTrojans.Com Owner

Jeff,

What it would be is more of a partnership. Your site would join the network, we would cover hosting costs, get you guys some syndicated content, etc. What the role of the publisher would be is writing Troy specific content and participating in the message board community.

Based off the number of subscriptions sold is how you would get paid.
Publishers get a set percentage of each subscription sold. We also have our team of recruiting guys out in the field that help out as well.

Would you at least be willing to chat with us about the possibility?

-Ben

Yeah that is not something our users are interested.

I was made the same type of offer from Rivals and when I posed the question to the people on our forum they choose not to do it.

I will pose the question again, and see if they are interested and let you know.

~Jeff Vreeland
GoTroyTrojans.Com Owner

Any more questions or comments please let me know.

TrojanWar
09-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Jeff,
What does he mean by "subscriptions?" It sounds like the site would be subscription based from that email and then you would get a cut. Am I wrong?

BMarkey
09-27-2006, 11:39 PM
It reads to me like Scout would provide the logistics, national college football news and some minor Troy recruiting coverage (probably as an offshoot of other colleges' recruting coverage), while expecting Jeff to be the Troy beat writer.

If Jeff wanted to report on Troy, he would be doing it. Why would he need Scout to help him with that?

I would like to see a real comprehensive Troy news and opinion site, but I'm not sure there is currently a successful business model for it yet (Remember the magazine/site that lasted for one edition?). How many of us would buy ads on the site or subscribe each month or year? That's what it would take to hire the reporter(s), photographer and designer, pay for trips to away games, etc.

Here's an idea: Tell Scout you/we will create a new site and publish it with/for them, with this site remaining as is. This site could refer to Scout and vice-versa.

ksdtrojan
09-28-2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks Jeff
I appreciate the information!

TroyPremier
09-28-2006, 07:54 AM
I voted yes.....I am no traitor....

I think it could open many new avenues regarding sports information becoming available about the Trojan athletics program. It's still going to be free, we can still type in gotroytrojans.com and end up at the site, and Jeff still runs everything. On top of that we get more publicity and information regarding our athletics program.

If that logic makes me a traitor, then I apologize.

Trojan2003
09-28-2006, 08:24 AM
I voted yes.....I am no traitor....

I think it could open many new avenues regarding sports information becoming available about the Trojan athletics program. It's still going to be free, we can still type in gotroytrojans.com and end up at the site, and Jeff still runs everything. On top of that we get more publicity and information regarding our athletics program.

If that logic makes me a traitor, then I apologize.
I voted yes, too. Scout or Rivals (btw, I prefer Rivals) would mean more exposure. Recruits go to Rivals (or Scout) and recognize that we are not there. CattouseFan would be able to run a professional recruiting section and provide us with even more valuable information.

faithintsu
09-28-2006, 08:51 AM
The only thing I will state about what has been commented on is that I would guess we would have less control then what we think.

More then likely I would be a writer of articles, and that would be the extent of the control.

I have talked with the owner of GoMiddle.Com that moved to rivals and he stated to do it over again he would have not moved, but since his site was so young it was not that hard of a decision.

TrojanWar, the way I understand it the subscription base service would be for the content like recuriting information, articles that are written by a National Writer (i.e. ESPN Insider).

Bob makes a great point - if I wanted to be a writer for Troy I could eaisly do it. Many of you remember TroyMarkus, when he ran TheTrojanNation.Com he was the AP writer for Troy and secured a press pass for each game. The only thing he had to do was write an article on Troy each week (or maybe each day, I am unsure of that). So I could write for Troy, the problem is time. I do so many things it is quite hard for me to find the time to do that.

If you have any more questoins, let me know. IF you have anything specific you want me to ask Scout PM the question and I will send it on.

TrojanWar
09-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the clarification Jeff. It's sounding more and more like you are starting to lean towards no as well.

TU/JSU Fan
09-28-2006, 09:24 AM
I voted yes too.. I may be a 'traitor', but I think it would be a great move and would bring a lot of great publicity to the site and the University. Of course the site is Jeff's and if he wants to ask the masses that is the way he wants to do it.

I admit that I do the same thing at www.gojaxstate.com when I make changes I ask everyone.. It is a good policy to have.

I will continue to support the site no matter if it is GTT.com or Rivals.troy.com or scout.troy.com... It will remain the same no matter what!

MB

NWFLTrojan
09-28-2006, 10:01 AM
I rather prefer our quaint independant site. I would hate for the people who do such a good job with this site, to give up control of what they have created. When you release control to a corporation, you have to remember that they and their profit and loss statement will now control the site.

I visited the Middle Tenn site, and was bombarded with pop-ups and ads. It drove me nuts.

If they want to expand their Troy coverage, then I applaud their effort. But let it be their effort. It seems like they want to take Jeff's hard work and turn it into money opportunities for themselves.

I appreciate the effort that goes into this site. As long as all the people who make this site possible are willing to continue then I would prefer that it remain as it currently is.

Lord-Mustang
10-07-2006, 08:58 PM
I vote yes as well. It's time to move into the mainstream people. I know how expensive it can be to host yourself and to try and maintain. Time to let someone else do that for you Jeff.

TrojanGranger
10-09-2006, 03:47 PM
I voted yes as well. Scout hosts it plus more exposure. Scout hosts the main message boards for most of Division 1-A, the NFL, MLB. Even Georgia high school football. I'd like to see the move. It doesn't matter to me personally, but I think it would benefit the site.

TrojanWar
10-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Scout hosts the main message boards for most of Division 1-A, the NFL, MLB.

Not true. They do host a lot of boards but not the main boards of big schools or professional teams. Most big D1A schools have independent boards just like this that end up being the "main" board for their school. If we did decide to move, I would vote for Rivals long before I would vote for Scout. The Scout boards are a joke compared to the Rivals boards.

faithintsu
10-09-2006, 09:29 PM
With the overwhelming majority here voting No GTT.Com is going no where. I will inform scouts thanks for the offer, but no thanks.

Thank you all for the feedback.