PDA

View Full Version : Help On Project!

TTownTrojan
09-26-2004, 04:03 PM
My daughter is doing a paper on the town of Troy. One of the questions she has to answer is this: Where did the town of Troy get its name? We've only been able to find the origin of Pike County's name.

Did the name come from Homer's Iliad, or from some other origin?

Your help is greatly appreciated. :)

faithintsu
09-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Wow that is a great question!

I have no idea but would love too know when you find out. I would suggest going too talk with the mayors office, Lunsford should be able too help you, or at least know one who could.

yoji
09-27-2004, 12:11 AM
I think you got this question answered on the other board, but since I don't want to re-register there, I'll give you some more info.

This is from the BellSouth phonebook.

Troy was incorporated in 1843 by an act of the legislature of Alabama, but there is no record of any city officials until 1868. Troy was located on Deer Stand Hill, but at a citizens' meeting called to select a more dignified name, one man from Troy, New York, suggested that it be called Troy. The exact date of the selection of the name is not known, but records in the Probate Office of Pike County show that hte name Troy was used as early as 1838.

faithintsu
09-27-2004, 09:46 AM
One man suggested it, I wonder how prestiges of a man this was back then as he just spoke it and it became true. To do something like that today you would have to have an act of congress.

yoji
09-27-2004, 12:15 PM
I propose we change the name of Troy to Movie Galleryville. :D

faithintsu
09-27-2004, 12:46 PM
HAHAAH

Or Troy brought too your by Movie Gallery!!