PDA

View Full Version : 07 - OT - Jared Cooper

CattouseFan
03-16-2006, 08:50 AM
It's not uncommon for prospects in the state of Alabama to grow up Tide fans, the majority of them do. But that hasn't stopped many from ending up at Auburn.

Sometimes all it takes is one visit to the Loveliest Village. Just ask Brewton (Ala.) W.S. Neal offensive tackle Jared Cooper who was in Auburn this past Saturday for a Junior Day and to watch the Tigers' scrimmage.

"I liked it a lot. I really enjoyed it. That was the first time I've ever been to Auburn and that made a big impression on me," said the 6-foot-4, 285-pound Cooper. "Everybody seemed real personable and it was just a laid-back atmosphere.

"The facilities were really nice," he added. "I got to go through the locker room and the weight room and I was really impressed."

Cooper spoke with Auburn assistants James Willis and Hugh Nall during his visit.

"Coach Willis told me to just enjoy the recruiting experience right now and soak it all in," said Cooper. "I only got to talk to coach Nall for a minute and he told me to come to camp and that will be a big deal."

Cooper has already picked up offers from Duke and Troy. He's being recruited by Auburn, Alabama, Georgia Tech, Southern Miss, Florida and LSU. He could be adding to his offer list soon.

"I'm supposed to be cleared for an offer from Southern Miss and I'm expecting one from Georgia Tech sometime soon," said Cooper.

While Saturday was his first visit to Auburn, he's made a number of trips to Tuscaloosa.

"I attended three Alabama games this past year and three the year before. I've been to quite a few," said Cooper. "I really like Alabama. They have a real prestigious program and most of my family are Alabama fans."

But Alabama hasn't been recruiting Cooper as hard as some other schools on his list and that has him open to other possibilities.

"I grew up an Alabama fan but as the time comes for me to go off to college I'm really as wide open as I've ever been," he said.

Cooper plans to check out an Auburn game for the first time this fall.

"I'm really looking forward to going to one this year," he said.

Cooper plans to visit Duke later this spring.

"The offer from Duke really excited me," he said. "It was kinda out of the blue. I really wasn't expecting it. When you think of academics, other than Ivy League, you think of Duke. A degree from Duke can get you pretty much any kind of job after college that you want."

Cooper currently lists his top two schools as Alabama and Auburn followed by Duke, Florida and LSU. He already has plans to attend camps at Auburn and Alabama this summer.

"I'm really not looking to make any kind of extremely early commitment right now," said Cooper. "I definitely want some time to think things over and evaluate things."

Cooper runs a 5.2 40-yard dash and has a 300-pound bench press, 415-pound squat and 26-inch vertical leap. He plans to major in sports medicine and projects as a full qualifier with a 4.0 GPA and a 22 on the ACT.

ThePowerMan
03-19-2006, 09:46 AM
I really look for Jared to stay in state. That opens up many possibilities. I know his first choice will be Alabama. I think he will want to stay close to home. He is a hard worker and has alot of potential to be a great lineman. Troy needs to get on this guy solid in the recruiting process.

ImSoILL
03-20-2006, 10:04 AM
with auburn and alabama on him this early i doubt troy will be in the mix. hopefully this coming year will impress the class of 2007, and we could get some top prospects.

CattouseFan
03-31-2006, 06:02 PM
W.S. Neal offensive lineman Jared Cooper is one of the top lineman prospects in the state of Alabama for 2007. Cooper has collected three scholarship offers, and several other schools are expressing heavy interest.
"I have received offers from Duke, Troy and Southern Miss," said Jared Cooper from Brewton, (Ala.). I received my first offer from Duke March 13. I received the other two offers within the next two weeks."

"I was real happy when I received that first offer. It lifted a weight off my chest. Then when the other ones came in that was really good too."

Cooper is receiving interest from several programs in the Southeast mainly Alabama, Auburn, Duke and Louisville.

He lists the two powerhouse in-state schools as his favorites due to one key factor.

"Alabama and Auburn are my favorites because of location," Cooper said. "I grew up an Alabama fan. Most of my family are Alabama fans. I went to Junior Day at Alabama, and it was real nice."

"I didn't know what to expect when I went to Auburn's Junior Day, but it really changed my mind about them. It's a laid-back type of atmosphere, and the town is much like my hometown. I like Auburn a lot."

When asked the factors of his decision Cooper replied, "More than likely I will look at the depth chart. Alabama has signed twelve offensive lineman in the past two years, and I am looking for a place where I will have the opportunity to contribute early."

The 6-4, 285-pound lineman was named 1st Team Class 3A All-State, 3A All-Region and participated in the Alabama Junior All-Star game.

Cooper is aware of his strengths and what he would like to improve before his senior season.

"I feel like my pass blocking is my biggest strength," he said. "The Lord blessed me with good feet and hands."

"I would like to continue to improve my footwork. You can never be too good at that. I want to work on my run blocking and my technique as well."

Cooper will participate in the Scout.com All-American combine in Tuscaloosa April 29.

CattouseFan
04-19-2006, 01:43 PM
When a prospect like Jared Cooper shows up on the radar, Duke's pattern has become very predictable. With academic credentials as impressive as his football skills, Cooper is an attractive option to a lot of programs, Duke included.

As is usually the case, the Devils have issued an early offer to the scholar athlete from Brewton, Alabama. As a junior at W.S. Neal High School, Cooper was named to the Alabama class 3A all state team while maintaining his perfect 4.0 GPA.

Devils Illustrated spoke with the 6-4, 285 pounder to get a full update on his recruitment.

The first thing Cooper revealed is that he has a third offer to go along with the two offers he picked up very early from Duke and Troy.

"I picked up a new offer from Southern Miss," Cooper said. "Other than that it's been kind of slow. I'm just talking to the same people. I'm going to the Army All America camp on the 29th and I'm going to the NIKE camp in Gainesville more than likely. I'll also be doing the Alabama and Auburn one day camps this summer."

The Alabama native would certainly love to draw an offer from either the Crimson Tide or the Tigers, but he's very pleased with the current offers he has, especially the one from the Blue Devils.

"Out of (the schools that have offered), Duke will probably get the most consideration. (I love) the academic aspect. I talk to Coach (Glenn) Spencer on the phone probably once a week. He's a class act guy."

Cooper has yet to visit the Duke campus, but he added that he is hoping to make a trip to Durham sometime over the summer.

How do things look with the two in state powers in Alabama?

"All of my family are Bama fans. Somebody told me that I'm not a fan anymore though, that I have to make the choice that's best for me."

And if that means ultimately running out of the tunnel with an Auburn helmet on to face the Tide in the Iron Bowl?

"Yeah I can see myself doing that. That's actually looking pretty good to me right now, I like Auburn a lot. Right now I'm really looking at depth charts. Alabama has signed something like 12 linemen in the last two years. Coach Nall at Auburn told me they would be taking three or four linemen this year, especially tackles, so I liked the sound of that."

Duke has certainly made a strong push for Cooper and the Devils have made a great impression. To really have a great shot to land Cooper though, Duke will have to overcome one key obstacle.

"I probably have a top three of Auburn, Alabama, and maybe Georgia Tech. Duke would probably be that number four. The only reason Duke would outside the top three is because of location. That doesn't mean I'm not as interested in them. It's just that if I ever needed to come home for something, it would be difficult to do that easily from (Durham)."

Cooper isn't operating on any kind of a time table for a decision. He's just waiting until he's comfortable enough to make a final call.

"Whenever I know, I'll know. I'm not putting any pressure on myself to be decided by this certain date or anything like that."