PDA

View Full Version : Trojans close in on possible 'best class'

CattouseFan
01-22-2006, 01:40 PM
By Tom Ensey
Montgomery Advertiser

Troy got three more commitments from defensive players last week as the program enters a crucial period of recruiting with visits from coveted players this weekend and next.

"We've got some key guys in here this weekend and next week that could cap out maybe the best recruiting year ever," coach Larry Blakeney said last Friday. The 13-year Trojan boss said he's pleased with the commitments so far, which include a blend of experienced, JUCO talent and younger players who will improve.

"I think we've been able to boost our personnel from the standpoint of immediate help from JUCO guys and in terms of development from freshmen who could help us down the road," he said. "I also think some of these freshmen have a chance to step in and play early in their careers."

The Trojans have commitments from two junior college players and two others. Quarterback Omar Haugabrook and defensive back Elbert Mack are already enrolled at Troy and on campus.

"I'm really pleased with the caliber of players we've got committed," he said. "I just hope we're reading them right and that we can hang on to them."

Three big defensive players came through with solid verbal commitments last week, two from high school and one from Garden City Community College in Kansas.

JUCO star Marcus Pittman is a 6-foot-5, 300-pound defensive tackle. Randy Underwood is a rangy, 6-5, 210 linebacker from Jasper's Walker County High, and Jamare Mathis is a 6-5, 220 defensive end from Litchfield High in Gadsden.

The Trojans are entertaining a small group of uncommitted and committed players this weekend. Slated to attend were three wide receivers, incuding Cornelius Williams, a 6-0, 180 speedster; Auston Silvoy, 6-4, 205 from Nice High School in St. Augustine, Fla.; and Gerald Tate, 6-0, 180 from Dodge City Community College in Dodge City, Kan.

Also visiting will be safety Leon Berry, 6-1, 200 from Griffin High in Griffin, Ga., and local star Sam Sellers of Pike Liberal Arts in Troy. Sellers, who is 5-11, 185 with great speed, will be signed as an athlete.

The Trojans will probably sign five or six more players this year.

Next week will be particularly important as the Trojans entertain a large number of highly sought-after recruits.