Troy will be on ESPNU at least twice this year:

@ South AL on Friday, October 24

@ GA Southern on Thursday, October 30

trojanbrutha
04-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Troy will be on ESPNU at least twice this year:

@ South AL on Friday, October 24

@ GA Southern on Thursday, October 30

We didn't win a single game on the U last season...I hope we can channel some of our fortunes from the Deuce... :sad010:

tntrojan
04-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Appreciate the exposure, but this does nothing for putting fans in the seats. Southern would only get the die hards on a Saturday anyway. Now, that will be next to impossible. The USA game could really draw a lot of fans too, but not on a Friday when work and HS games pull families away. Ugh. At least we don't lose a home Saturday...yet.

Complete article:
Sun Belt Announces Six Football Games Picked Up By ESPNU For 2014 Season
NEW ORLEANS - The Sun Belt Conference and ESPN released today six ESPNU telecasts featuring Sun Belt teams for this upcoming football season.
ESPNU will televise the season's first game featuring a Football Bowl Subdivision team on Wednesday, August 27 as second- year Sun Belt member Georgia State hosts Football Championship Subdivision opponent Abilene Christian. Kickoff from the Georgia Dome is set for 6 p.m. (CT) on ESPNU.
The following night, UL Monroe hosts Wake Forest in an ESPNU affair in which the Warhawks will look to defeat the Demon Deacons for a second consecutive season. ULM defeated Wake Forest 21-19 last season in Winston-Salem. Kick time for the rematch is 6 p.m. (CT) from Malone Stadium.
The first conference game to be televised on ESPNU in 2014 will feature two of the league's newest members as Georgia Southern will host Appalachian State on Thursday, September 25. The Eagles will showcase the newly renovated Paulson Stadium to a nationally televised audience as the two longtime rivals clash.
Third year Sun Belt football member South Alabama will host its first-ever nationally televised game when it hosts Troy at Ladd Peebles Stadium on Friday, October 24. Both the Jaguars and Trojans were bowl eligible at the conclusion of the 2013 football season.
Troy will play in front of the ESPNU audience for a second consecutive week when the Trojans visit Georgia Southern on Thursday, October 30. The two teams will faceoff for the first time as Sun Belt Conference members after meeting on 13 previous occasions.
Rounding out the six ESPNU games that are being announced is Texas State's home contest against Arkansas State on November 20. Texas State will be competing in its second year in the Sun Belt after having been bowl eligible in its first year of competition in the league.
The Sun Belt and ESPN previously released two games that were selected to air midweek on ESPN2. 2013 Sun Belt co-champions UL Lafayette will travel to face Texas State on Tuesday, October 14 for a 7 p.m. (CT) kick time. The Ragin' Cajuns will then host the team they spilt the 2013 championship with as Arkansas State travels to Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, October 21 for a 7 p.m. (CT) start. The Red Wolves are winners of at least a share of the last three Sun Belt Championships.
Additional games available to a home viewing audience will be released at a later date. ESPN has until June 1 to select games that take place the first three weeks of the season. Beginning with the fourth week of the season, games are available to ESPN up until 12 days out from the contest.
The conference lineup for the 2014 season will see Appalachian State and Georgia Southern make their debuts as Football Bowl Subdivision and Sun Belt members, while Idaho and New Mexico State return as conference members after competing in the league from 2001 through 2004. Arkansas State (winners of two consecutive GoDaddy Bowls), Georgia State, UL Lafayette (winners of three consecutive R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowls), UL Monroe, South Alabama, Texas State, and Troy complete the Sun Belt's football membership.
2014 Sun Belt-ESPNU Football Schedule
Wednesday, August 27
Abilene Christian at Georgia State - 6 p.m. CT (ESPNU)
Thursday, August 28
Wake Forest at Louisiana-Monroe - 6 p.m. CT (ESPNU)
Thursday, September 25
Appalachian State at Georgia Southern - TBA (ESPNU)
Friday, October 24
Troy at South Alabama - TBA (ESPNU)
Thursday, October 30
Troy at Georgia Southern - TBA (ESPNU)
Thursday, November 20
Arkansas State at Texas State - 8:30 p.m. CT (ESPNU)
2014 Sun Belt-ESPNU Football Notes
UL Monroe hosts Wake Forest in a rematch of last season's matchup in Winston-Salem, N.C., where the Warhawks held on for a 21-19 victory. The Warhawks gained 424 yards of offense and held the Demon Deacons to just 15 yards rushing in the win, which was secured late on a failed two-point conversion pass from Wake Forest.
The Appalachian State-Georgia Southern rivalry will be renewed on Sept. 25 at Paulson Stadium in Statesboro, Ga. This 29-game series, which has been played each season for the last 22 consecutive seasons, is a fiercely competitive game. Appalachian State owns a 16-12-1 edge in the all-time series, including a 12-10 mark in the last 22 years, and has won the last three meetings.
Texas State will be hosting its second nationally-televised game of the season following a Tuesday night tilt vs. UL Lafayette on Oct. 14.
Georgia State will play the first game of the 2014 season featuring a Football Bowl Subdivision team when they host Abilene Christian on Aug. 27.

newnan trojan
04-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Ga Southern is already advertising the hell out of our game against them.... U better believe they will give us their best shot

ValleyBoy
04-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Statement from TK on the two ESPNU games. "The opportunity to showcase our Football program, new facilities and Georgia Southern University before millions of fans across the country is just one of the benefits of being a member of the Sun Belt Conference," said Director of Athletics Tom Kleinlein. "The fact that two of our games were picked for a national TV audience is a statement about the success of our Football program, the passion of Eagle Nation and the growth of our University. These are exciting times in Statesboro."

Georgia Southern will be ready for Troy.

dgoebel
04-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Georgia Southern and App St. Will both be hungry to prove they belong. Both top notch programs. Excellent additions for the Belt. We need to be ready for them, especially Southern. Their new coach is a proven winner at Sam Houston State and they won't be the same ground hog Eagles for sure.

trojanbrutha
04-01-2014, 03:40 PM
In '06, when TROY changed offenses, we lost 4 of the first 5. I'm not saying they won't make some plays, but I am saying they will NOT keep pace with our offense. That's mt story and I'm sticking to it.

dgoebel
04-01-2014, 04:02 PM
In '06, when TROY changed offenses, we lost 4 of the first 5. I'm not saying they won't make some plays, but I am saying they will NOT keep pace with our offense. That's mt story and I'm sticking to it.

I actually like our chances better against up tempo. Triple option gave us trouble against Navy and Southern has more speed than Navy. This new offense may or may not work there. Chris Hatcher was a disaster trying to run Air Raid there, so who knows.

trojanbrutha
04-01-2014, 04:15 PM
I actually like our chances better against up tempo. Triple option gave us trouble against Navy and Southern has more speed than Navy. This new offense may or may not work there. Chris Hatcher was a disaster trying to run Air Raid there, so who knows.

No one knows, but the odds are not good for an upset as y'all are alluding to right now. The team chemistry appears to be pretty good from some of the social media I've been reading. Shades of Levi and Bear...offensive and defensive respect. I may be reading too much into this, but there's a vibe coming from plenty of these guys, and it's positive.

I'm going along for this ride.

dgoebel
04-01-2014, 06:25 PM
No one knows, but the odds are not good for an upset as y'all are alluding to right now. The team chemistry appears to be pretty good from some of the social media I've been reading. Shades of Levi and Bear...offensive and defensive respect. I may be reading too much into this, but there's a vibe coming from plenty of these guys, and it's positive.

I agree with this. I can tell you I have gotten to know a couple of the parents of our young offensive linemen. I can tell you what a great group of guys this is. Great families, outstanding young men that do the right thing on and off the field and they are a very close group. I have heard similar remarks about our rb's, receivers and linebackers. I am optimistic as well. Team chemistry is very important and I can tell you our 87 team had a lot of team chemistry. Hope this group comes together like that. Nothing I would like to see more Than a return to championship football

GoApps70
04-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Georgia Southern and App St. Will both be hungry to prove they belong. Both top notch programs. Excellent additions for the Belt. We need to be ready for them, especially Southern. Their new coach is a proven winner at Sam Houston State and they won't be the same ground hog Eagles for sure.

Believe GaSo change in coaches is a good thing for Troy. More chances to intercept and get the ball. Their running game over the year had gotten really good at holding onto the ball and making just enough yards in a lot of cases.
They just signed a 6'2" receiver from California, Longorian I believe that looks really good on film, but don't expect them to pass more than 30% of the time this year.

WeSuck.com
04-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Ga Southern is already advertising the hell out of our game against them.... U better believe they will give us their best shot

That game will be jammed packed.

trojanbrutha
04-01-2014, 10:07 PM
That game will be jammed packed.

I plan on doing my part...road trip! :thumb:

dgoebel
04-02-2014, 08:22 AM
I plan on doing my part...road trip! :thumb:

We have dear friends who are Georgia Southern Alumni. We had this game marked for a great weekend. This put the monkey wrench to our plans. They are both school teachers in North Georgia and my wife is a teacher also. Thurs night game, 6 hour drive, they would have to take off 2 days of work...hate these Thurs night games. We were really looking forward to thus game....uuuggghhhh!!!!

trojanbrutha
04-02-2014, 09:18 AM
We have dear friends who are Georgia Southern Alumni. We had this game marked for a great weekend. This put the monkey wrench to our plans. They are both school teachers in North Georgia and my wife is a teacher also. Thurs night game, 6 hour drive, they would have to take off 2 days of work...hate these Thurs night games. We were really looking forward to thus game....uuuggghhhh!!!!

At this point, the proverbial ball is in the court of fans. There is plenty of time to make arrangements. So far as teachers are concerned, do they not have "substitutes" in GA? :confused013:

SoFlaTrojan
04-02-2014, 10:02 AM
So, one of the strongest members of the Sun Belt gets zero home games on ESPNU?

Worse, the conference and teams agreed to change the top two potentially rivalry-forming games from Saturday (when, literally, thousands of Trojans would attend) to Thursday and Friday, when, maybe, hundreds of Trojans will attend. The home venues suffer greatly from ticket sales drops, local financial impact (hotels, restaurants etc.) and many fans do not get a chance to see their team in a relatively close distance from Troy.

Worse, one game is on a Friday, when few people watch football and many people who the programs want to reach are involved with their own high school games.

Worse yet, the network we are doing backflips for has such low ratings.

trojanbrutha
04-02-2014, 10:34 AM
So, one of the strongest members of the Sun Belt gets zero home games on ESPNU?

Worse, the conference and teams agreed to change the top two potentially rivalry-forming games from Saturday (when, literally, thousands of Trojans would attend) to Thursday and Friday, when, maybe, hundreds of Trojans will attend. The home venues suffer greatly from ticket sales drops, local financial impact (hotels, restaurants etc.) and many fans do not get a chance to see their team in a relatively close distance from Troy.

Worse, one game is on a Friday, when few people watch football and many people who the programs want to reach are involved with their own high school games.

Worse yet, the network we are doing backflips for has such low ratings.

TROY has not been one of the strongest programs in the SBC in years. We have a ways to go to get back to that level. And, again, as I previously stated, there is plenty of time to make arrangements. It's not like they filled us in with only a week or two to adjust. The only reason not to be there at this point is not trying. TROY fans want to act like we're the top fanbase in the conference, but still have a small-minded approach. We need to stop making excuses so early.

preacher
04-02-2014, 10:34 AM

I have the same gut feeling. Chemistry will still have some additions in the fall. And lets face it over the past few seasons we are a hand full of plays away from a really good record. If the chemistry had been there and some plays were made earlier in the season. Who knows. Anyway there is much to be hopeful about next season.

As for being the prominent team in the Belt. Historically we are - just not recent history. This league is what have you done for me lately and if we don't start competing and winning championships soon we'll be left behind.

#ReturntoProminence14

Mr.E_205_Legion
04-02-2014, 01:01 PM

THIS teacher has THREE PERSONAL DAYS each year...I bet no one can guess the dates I will take in 2014-2015. These schedule changes with plenty of advance notice will change my victory night stay in Gulf Shores from one night to two nights AND instead of spending one night on the road (due to being exhausted from yelling at the game) returning from Statesboro it looks like the TroVan will be pointed in the other direction for two nights in Savannah OR Jekyll Island :wave:

SoFlaTrojan
04-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Folks: I get it that you die-hards will take a few days off for games. But the large majority who don't come to this board and who decide to go to games on a week's notice will not come to these games. Period. They have jobs, families and responsibilities that won't allow it.

Making it even more difficult to attend games harms the fan base, especially of the home team.

Changes like this can kill attendance and the building of rivalries. Changes like this hurt the fan base. For what, 10,000 to 20,000 TV sets throughout the entire country? if no one watches, does it still count as "exposure"?

At least these are not home game dates we just wasted. ;-)

And ... Troy is still a Sun Belt leader (didn't we tie for third in football last season?) in facilities, fan support, notoriety, milestones and more. Even in football, Troy is above average.

preacher
04-02-2014, 02:30 PM
And ... Troy is still a Sun Belt leader (didn't we tie for third in football last season?) in facilities, fan support, notoriety, milestones and more. Even in football, Troy is above average.

Facilities - need an up grade in football
Fan support - close to the top maybe (winning would help here a great deal)
Notoriety - Yes! We have been notorious over the past year for several reasons not good for the program. Some reasons outside our control. This is not a good thing.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/notoriety

2014 is a crossroads in the future. of the football program. We need to pull together this year and get that facility build and spread a little positive love throughout this program. The opposite of doing that is not a very good scenario. Plus we have to win this year on the field or we could be on the verge of long term mediocrity. Not a very good place to be.

SoFlaTrojan
04-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Wrong. When people thing of the Sun Belt, Troy is at the top of their list.

Even with football needing an upgrade (which it is getting), Troy's facilities are heads and tails above most other conference's facilities - certainly near the top. With FAU and UNT gone, Troy moves up a couple of notches in football facilities.

preacher
04-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Wrong. When people thing of the Sun Belt, Troy is at the top of their list.

Even with football needing an upgrade (which it is getting), Troy's facilities are heads and tails above most other conference's facilities - certainly near the top. With FAU and UNT gone, Troy moves up a couple of notches in football facilities.

Go back and look at the list of teams in the Belt as the article presents it. Arky State's achievements are listed. ULL's achievements are listed. Troy is just listed. The college football world only finds relevance in those 2 teams. If we want to be relevant while sitting in the Belt we must win. If our only goal is to be well known in the belt we will never get the end-zone project built. Our goal should be to be relevant in mid-Majors. To do that we have to win championships. App State and Georgia Southern's first year in the belt is more marketable than Troy right now. I don't like it but it is what it is. The only way to change that is win.

I think we need to be honest about where we are. Saban tells his team each year that tradition doesn't matter, what happened last year doesn't matter. To be a champion this year you must win every day. He calls it the system. I do not like him but that is the number one reason they are good every year. Each year stands by itself. We need to win this year. Period.

trojanbrutha
04-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Folks: I get it that you die-hards will take a few days off for games. But the large majority who don't come to this board and who decide to go to games on a week's notice will not come to these games. Period. They have jobs, families and responsibilities that won't allow it.

Making it even more difficult to attend games harms the fan base, especially of the home team.

Changes like this can kill attendance and the building of rivalries. Changes like this hurt the fan base. For what, 10,000 to 20,000 TV sets throughout the entire country? if no one watches, does it still count as "exposure"?

At least these are not home game dates we just wasted. ;-)

If it's that hard to be a Trojan, maybe it's easier to be an owl...:laughing021:

dgoebel
04-02-2014, 04:50 PM
At this point, the proverbial ball is in the court of fans. There is plenty of time to make arrangements. So far as teachers are concerned, do they not have "substitutes" in GA? :confused013:

They have subs. Not everyone can take off 2 days of work. They have a son playing college baseball also. I can't take off 2 days either. Running a business it is hard enough taking off for the 6 home games.

dgoebel
04-02-2014, 04:52 PM
If it's that hard to be a Trojan, maybe it's easier to be an owl...:laughing021:

Not everyone lives an hour from Troy. No need to insult fans who can't make every game.

trojanbrutha
04-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Not everyone lives an hour from Troy. No need to insult fans who can't make every game.

:sad010:

Hemi Man
04-02-2014, 05:44 PM

You are closer to Statesboro than most of us though.

dgoebel
04-02-2014, 06:40 PM
You are closer to Statesboro than most of us though.

6 hours from here. Not the distance, it's just next to impossible for us midweek. The Thurs night game in Troy in 2012 was very difficult for me also.

trojanbrutha
04-02-2014, 06:43 PM
6 hours from here. Not the distance, it's just next to impossible for us midweek. The Thurs night game in Troy in 2012 was very difficult for me also.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071222223944/pvx/images/5/5d/Wambulance.jpg

dgoebel
04-02-2014, 08:04 PM
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071222223944/pvx/images/5/5d/Wambulance.jpg

:signs019::sleep010:

trojanbrutha
04-02-2014, 08:52 PM
:signs019::sleep010:

:jester:

TFan
04-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Just a die-hard college football fan traditionalist here. College football is (was) a Saturday afternoon, kick at 2pm event for many, many years. The campus was alive with student revelers out of class for the weekend, fans travelled from near and far for the gala afternoon, time for pregame and postgame tailgating....

Saturday night out to celebrate, or drown the loss! Sunday am to recover and travel home.

TODAY: Semi-retired, resources to travel and I STILL have a hard time getting UP for weekday games!!! I can certainly sympathize with folks who work a day, kids in school, limited time off, more expensive airfares, etc etc etc. All about the TV $$$ now!

I refuse to "adjust". Call me>>> :sad010:

Hemi Man
04-02-2014, 09:27 PM
College football has changed a lot in the last twenty years. It's all about exposure and marketing your product. How many fans did Troy gain from the Missouri win? The Oklahoma St win? If those games are on Saturday they aren't nearly as big from an exposure point of view. Telling a recruit that 45 of your last 48 games were televised is a selling point.

It's difficult for all involved when we have weeknight games. In all honesty home weeknight games are tougher on me than the road games because I usually work the day of the game and then setup, tailgate, tear down, watch the game, and go to work the next day. At least with SoBama most people will only have to burn one day of vacation.

pelliott
04-02-2014, 09:39 PM
You dont want to miss the GA Southern game - stay in Savannah - and "The Boro" is fun

pelliott
04-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Georgia Southern has more students than Georgia Tech
That game will be off the chart with excitement on GSU part - it will be fun and it will be well attended by both fan bases I think
My brother owns a business on Hwy 301 on your way into to town and he cant wait and is very happy GSU made the move = he's super pumped and so is Statesboro

trojanbrutha
04-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Georgia Southern has more students than Georgia Tech
That game will be off the chart with excitement on GSU part - it will be fun and it will be well attended by both fan bases I think
My brother owns a business on Hwy 301 on your way into to town and he cant wait and is very happy GSU made the move = he's super pumped and so is Statesboro

Well, I'm sorry...they can't just tell me a week or two before the game and expect me to drop EVERYTHING! They're so rude and crass...they make me sick...sick I tell ya! I do have other responsibilities ya know...why do they wait so late to tell me of these changes? OMG! :angry013:

trojanbrutha
04-02-2014, 10:24 PM
EnAug5eXfJ0

dgoebel
04-03-2014, 09:29 AM
College football has changed a lot in the last twenty years. It's all about exposure and marketing your product. How many fans did Troy gain from the Missouri win? The Oklahoma St win? If those games are on Saturday they aren't nearly as big from an exposure point of view. Telling a recruit that 45 of your last 48 games were televised is a selling point.

It's difficult for all involved when we have weeknight games. In all honesty home weeknight games are tougher on me than the road games because I usually work the day of the game and then setup, tailgate, tear down, watch the game, and go to work the next day. At least with SoBama most people will only have to burn one day of vacation.

Being on ESPN or ESPN 2 like both those games were is a whole different story. Being on ESPNU or ESPN the Ocho is another. I didn't even know I got ESPNU. It's channel 1254 on my cable :confused013: It is exposure to a degree but comparing it to the Missouri or Ok. St game is not even close. Troy does this for TV revenue. The exposure is nice and it is a recruiting tool but it does make it tough on fans. I understand the need for doing it though.