PDA

View Full Version : T-day Game

trojanblood
03-30-2014, 08:10 AM
For those of us that weren't able to attend the festivities, please share with the class how it the team looked yesterday. What kind of crowd was at the game?

Mr.E_205_Legion
03-30-2014, 08:53 AM
TFan was able to do his rain dance and by the time the game started it was cloudy, but great weather compared to T-Days past. My wife mentioned in recent years we have had two rainy ones and one where we thought we would actually melt due to the temperature!

TrojanBrutha mentioned last night it appeared to be the largest crowd he could recall. The Montgomery TV station on the 10:00 sports reported 5,000+ in attendance. We could not see the upper deck, BUT whoever thought to have Spring Trojan Day (student recruitment) on the same day and feed them lunch in the stadium so they could watch some of the game A BIG :thumb:

Team is still coming together! They appear top to bottom to be more focused. Saw many players that appeared to have gotten bigger, stronger! Saw taller receivers making plays, and saw a defense using those things hanging off the sides of their torso to make tackles (actually wrapping up instead of doing that body bump we have seen the last few seasons) :bounce012:

With several of the players not dressed out for various reasons we were able to see the potential depth we might have this season - IF everyone stays healthy and academically qualified.

Do not know about the rest of you, but I am ready for some BBQ Lizard in 151 days ...

redwaver
03-30-2014, 10:27 AM
TFan was able to do his rain dance and by the time the game started it was cloudy, but great weather compared to T-Days past. My wife mentioned in recent years we have had two rainy ones and one where we thought we would actually melt due to the temperature!

TrojanBrutha mentioned last night it appeared to be the largest crowd he could recall. The Montgomery TV station on the 10:00 sports reported 5,000+ in attendance. We could not see the upper deck, BUT whoever thought to have Spring Trojan Day (student recruitment) on the same day and feed them lunch in the stadium so they could watch some of the game A BIG :thumb:

Team is still coming together! They appear top to bottom to be more focused. Saw many players that appeared to have gotten bigger, stronger! Saw taller receivers making plays, and saw a defense using those things hanging off the sides of their torso to make tackles (actually wrapping up instead of doing that body bump we have seen the last few seasons) :bounce012:

With several of the players not dressed out for various reasons we were able to see the potential depth we might have this season - IF everyone stays healthy and academically qualified.

Do not know about the rest of you, but I am ready for some BBQ Lizard in 151 days ...

Agree! A great day at Troy! Teamed look good for a spring scrimmage. Only blatant problem I saw was our punting. Had one blocked and easily could have blocked two more. Kickers are taking waaaaaay to long to start their steps! We have good offensive depth and I was impressed at the coverage downfield on passes. Now take that into the season! New softball fields are awesome. Wish the baseball team had been scheduled to be at home. That is one thing the planners might want to consider. Just makes for more exposure.

newnan trojan
03-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Troy announced on twitter their was a crowd of 5,500 in attendance

Hemi Man
03-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Agree! A great day at Troy! Teamed look good for a spring scrimmage. Only blatant problem I saw was our punting. Had one blocked and easily could have blocked two more. Kickers are taking waaaaaay to long to start their steps! We have good offensive depth and I was impressed at the coverage downfield on passes. Now take that into the season! New softball fields are awesome. Wish the baseball team had been scheduled to be at home. That is one thing the planners might want to consider. Just makes for more exposure.

I say do away with the rugby kick. After seeing Ryan Kay's first punt there is no reason why he isn't allowed to go with the traditional punting style every time.
He boomed his only shot at it and the hang time was great. If he does that on a normal basis he could be a huge weapon.

trojanbrutha
03-30-2014, 11:51 AM
5u9hIxzeit4

flockofoscars
03-30-2014, 11:55 AM
My take on the T day game was that it may have been the most uplifting Tday game in the last 3 years. Our guys actually were tackling and pass coverage looked decent. Which is better than terrible. Sam Lebbies name was called out constantly. I think he will be a force. We got a good INT on a ball that was thrown up. Last year those were more often snagged by the opposite teams WR. The biggest negative was that that some big passes allowed and pretty big holes occasionally for the RBs who were backups.
Defense I give a B :thumb:

Offense looked great. Bentley 3 WR will be awesome. Offensive line looked really good minus the attempted fight. They seemed aggressive and that's a good thing. With the QB battle I feel like Pruitt and Silvers have separated themselves from the rest of the pack. Bravard seemed to be less confident in his passes but he did have a few good completions. Dallas just struggled completing passes but looked like the best leader. Pruitt looked awesome and completed some really long passes and I loved the fact he would tuck the ball and run fast. He did have one INT but was still extremely impressive and has the highest upside. Silvers was the most impressive yesterday and made very few mistakes. Completed some nice long and short passes. Looked in control the whole time. He did have one pass that should have been picked off but he looked like a beast. Pruitt and Silvers both looked like beasts so we shall see. RBs looked good but neither Chunn or Burks played. Overall a good showing by the O
I give the offense an A :eatdrink004:

Special teams looked awful and good. Our starters looked good in kicking but there were some terrible punts. Ryan Kay looked like a good punter be he only had one real punt and a rugby punt that ended horribly. and there was 1 block and more that were close. A good 40+ field goal was the highlight of special teams
I give special teams a C- the kickers a B and punters a D

Great T-day and ready to beat UAB! GO TROJANS!!!:thumb:

trojanbrutha
03-30-2014, 12:16 PM
i can see you grading the punters with a c, but not special teams...2 blocks, IIRC, punt return for TD, and i recall a kick-off return close to the 50. ST wasn't that bad at all.

flockofoscars
03-30-2014, 12:19 PM
i can see you grading the punters with a c, but not special teams...2 blocks, IIRC, punt return for TD, and i recall a kick-off return close to the 50. ST wasn't that bad at all.

I think a C is fair lol not awful but we also had a missed PAT. I am not worried about our ST because a lot of the punters and kickers were backups. There were some very good upsides and I feel like it will be much better than last year but there just seemed to be a lot of bad kicks.

Troygrandfather
03-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Flock you seem to have a decent assessment do have stats on QB ? I caught myself keeping up with pass/completion but was waiting to see the official stats that I cannot find before giving my opinion. Overall I feel things looked good and great number of fans in there. Later today or tonight when I can validate what I saw with numbers will give thoughts

TroyFootball05
03-30-2014, 01:44 PM
I was really impressed with Jarvis Bentley (WR#3). He's much more elusive than his highlight film shows. He's slippery like Jerrel and gets up to the ball like Jarboe. He will help us a lot this year.

Keep in mind we still have the NJCAA All-American punt returner coming in the fall to play receiver, as well as one WR whom initially signed with UAB. I imagine we are pretty stacked at WR with Bryan Holmes, Chandler Worthy, and BJ Chitty all coming back.

Pruitt looked the best at QB in my opinion. A couple air strikes to Holmes and Bentley looked good. Since he can't get hit, its hard to truly gauge what he can do on the ground, but from what I can gather, he's far and away the best runner of the pack.

dgoebel
03-30-2014, 03:04 PM

Long snapper is a glaring problem. They one hoped a few punts and the ball is wobbly going back. We signed a juco snapper who I believe will be here in the fall. He should be the snapper which will help in this area.

redwaver
03-30-2014, 03:09 PM
My take on the T day game was that it may have been the most uplifting Tday game in the last 3 years. Our guys actually were tackling and pass coverage looked decent. Which is better than terrible. Sam Lebbies name was called out constantly. I think he will be a force. We got a good INT on a ball that was thrown up. Last year those were more often snagged by the opposite teams WR. The biggest negative was that that some big passes allowed and pretty big holes occasionally for the RBs who were backups.
Defense I give a B :thumb:

Offense looked great. Bentley 3 WR will be awesome. Offensive line looked really good minus the attempted fight. They seemed aggressive and that's a good thing. With the QB battle I feel like Pruitt and Silvers have separated themselves from the rest of the pack. Bravard seemed to be less confident in his passes but he did have a few good completions. Dallas just struggled completing passes but looked like the best leader. Pruitt looked awesome and completed some really long passes and I loved the fact he would tuck the ball and run fast. He did have one INT but was still extremely impressive and has the highest upside. Silvers was the most impressive yesterday and made very few mistakes. Completed some nice long and short passes. Looked in control the whole time. He did have one pass that should have been picked off but he looked like a beast. Pruitt and Silvers both looked like beasts so we shall see. RBs looked good but neither Chunn or Burks played. Overall a good showing by the O
I give the offense an A :eatdrink004:

Special teams looked awful and good. Our starters looked good in kicking but there were some terrible punts. Ryan Kay looked like a good punter be he only had one real punt and a rugby punt that ended horribly. and there was 1 block and more that were close. A good 40+ field goal was the highlight of special teams
I give special teams a C- the kickers a B and punters a D

Great T-day and ready to beat UAB! GO TROJANS!!!:thumb:

Yea, my only concern was the fact that on non rugby style kicks, he took waaaay to long to start his steps. That first step should be taken as he receives the snap. He can help the blockers by speeding up his fundamentals. The rugby kick is a complete different "creature"!

dgoebel
03-30-2014, 03:09 PM
I was really impressed with Jarvis Bentley (WR#3). He's much more elusive than his highlight film shows. He's slippery like Jerrel and gets up to the ball like Jarboe. He will help us a lot this year.

Keep in mind we still have the NJCAA All-American punt returner coming in the fall to play receiver, as well as one WR whom initially signed with UAB. I imagine we are pretty stacked at WR with Bryan Holmes, Chandler Worthy, and BJ Chitty all coming back.

Pruitt looked the best at QB in my opinion. A couple air strikes to Holmes and Bentley looked good. Since he can't get hit, its hard to truly gauge what he can do on the ground, but from what I can gather, he's far and away the best runner of the pack.

Only concern with Pruett is his size, he is tiny. He can throw and run very well, I just hope he can take the hits. I was very impressed with Silvers also. Those two IMO are the QB tandem for the fall. The offense had 3 starters out on the OL plus our top two rb's. They will be explosive. OL is big, talented and 2plus deep with game experience. Defense looked 100% better. Very aggressive play and pass coverage was much improved. Optimistic about next season.

Hemi Man
03-30-2014, 04:02 PM
I think a C is fair lol not awful but we also had a missed PAT. I am not worried about our ST because a lot of the punters and kickers were backups. There were some very good upsides and I feel like it will be much better than last year but there just seemed to be a lot of bad kicks.

We have no returning starting kickers other than Solomon on kickoffs. Kay will be fine at punter.

redwaver
03-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Only concern with Pruett is his size, he is tiny. He can throw and run very well, I just hope he can take the hits. I was very impressed with Silvers also. Those two IMO are the QB tandem for the fall. The offense had 3 starters out on the OL plus our top two rb's. They will be explosive. OL is big, talented and 2plus deep with game experience. Defense looked 100% better. Very aggressive play and pass coverage was much improved. Optimistic about next season.

I agree!:eatdrink004:

flockofoscars
03-30-2014, 04:06 PM
We have no returning starting kickers other than Solomon on kickoffs. Kay will be fine at punter.

I didn't make it clear but when I said much better than last year I was talking more on the return teams. I think Soloman will be a good kicker and Kay will be a good punter. I am not worried about them but punting was awful for T-Day except for one so that is just something to pay attention to and hopefully will be addressed by coaching staff.

redwaver
03-30-2014, 04:11 PM
I didn't make it clear but when I said much better than last year I was talking more on the return teams. I think Soloman will be a good kicker and Kay will be a good punter. I am not worried about them but punting was awful for T-Day except for one so that is just something to pay attention to and hopefully will be addressed by coaching staff.

I noticed on regular kicks he caught the ball and adjusted it PRIOR to stepping. That won't work against a good team. Otherwise, I thought we looked much improved given the fact that several were out and it was a scrimmage after all and you couldn't hit the QB! Don't see how they ever know a QB's abilities without letting him get hit occasionally. He has until Season starting to get over it!:laughing021:

newnan trojan
03-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Everyone keeps talking about how much better the defense looks... That gives me hope. I hope they are because that would be huge.

Given we are playing ourselves so it's hard to gage haha.

dgoebel
03-30-2014, 07:12 PM
Everyone keeps talking about how much better the defense looks... That gives me hope. I hope they are because that would be huge.

Given we are playing ourselves so it's hard to gage haha.

The last 3 T-Day games, there were wide open receivers, running backs going untouched, no pressure on the QB. What I seen Sat. Was receivers covered very well for the most part, linebackers covering and stepping up hard on run plays and better pass rush. We flew to the ball better also. I can honestly say it is by far the best the D has looked in the last three years and I am optimistic.