PDA

View Full Version : Spring ball

Troy79
03-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Just curious if anyone can post an update on how things are going on the football field this Spring? Any new information would be greatly appreciated. Especially interested in hearing about our defense and the QB battle.

Go TROY!

dgoebel
03-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Just curious if anyone can post an update on how things are going on the football field this Spring? Any new information would be greatly appreciated. Especially interested in hearing about our defense and the QB battle.

Go TROY!

Hasn't been much news. Here is all I have heard. QB battle is wide open, Pruitt was suspended for a week for violating team rules, so we haven't seen him much. OL is deep and talented. LB's are using some zone blitz packages. RB is a very strong suit for us. With Chun and Anderson we have two big physical backs which will help in short yardage and red zone. Receiver we are young and very talented. DL is hard to judge with 4 juco signees not here till Aug.

Still early and we should have a better idea come T-Day

Trojan by Birth
03-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Anyone got a link for some T-Day info? gotroytrojans.com shows it on the 29th at 12:30 but there is not a link. I haven't been to T-Day before, will there be anything other than the scrimage to do?

Possum
03-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Why did Gene Chizik make an appearance at practice today?

redwaver
03-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Anyone got a link for some T-Day info? gotroytrojans.com shows it on the 29th at 12:30 but there is not a link. I haven't been to T-Day before, will there be anything other than the scrimage to do?

SADLY they didn't schedule the baseball team to be in town that weekend. HOPEFULLY that will be corrected in the future. Not much being sent out this year on that event. Don't know why, other than the meeting with Coach Blakeney.

redwaver
03-19-2014, 07:00 PM
Hasn't been much news. Here is all I have heard. QB battle is wide open, Pruitt was suspended for a week for violating team rules, so we haven't seen him much. OL is deep and talented. LB's are using some zone blitz packages. RB is a very strong suit for us. With Chun and Anderson we have two big physical backs which will help in short yardage and red zone. Receiver we are young and very talented. DL is hard to judge with 4 juco signees not here till Aug.

Pruitt suspended! D--n!!! How on earth do some of these guys run afoul of simple basic rules so quickly? It's not that darn hard to follow them. He needs every rep he can get! That is one of the most frustrating things about JUCO's. They only have two years to help and far too often a few just can't get 'er done! Whether it's academics or basic behaviors, it just ain't that d--n difficult to
meet basic minimum standards!:angry013:

Trojan by Birth
03-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Why did Gene Chizik make an appearance at practice today?

It's a bit early for April Fool's.

Possum
03-19-2014, 08:51 PM
According to a couple of players, he was at practice...

He's bad news... I hope he stays away from our program.

trojanbrutha
03-19-2014, 09:33 PM

The last time an ex-aub came by, we lost an OC...

Hemi Man
03-19-2014, 10:27 PM

Very early. A lot of work left to do.

SADLY they didn't schedule the baseball team to be in town that weekend. HOPEFULLY that will be corrected in the future. Not much being sent out this year on that event. Don't know why, other than the meeting with Coach Blakeney.

Softball is at home. A good opportunity to see their new facilities.

He was in attendance.

redwaver
03-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Very early. A lot of work left to do.

Softball is at home. A good opportunity to see their new facilities.

He was in attendance.

Why would he be here? Nothing good can come of that!!!

Hemi Man
03-19-2014, 10:40 PM
Why would he be here? Nothing good can come of that!!!

I don't have an answer for that question. He does have ties to Bolt, Landry, and Pogue.

Possum
03-20-2014, 07:11 AM
:angry013:

dgoebel
03-20-2014, 08:46 AM
Pruitt suspended! D--n!!! How on earth do some of these guys run afoul of simple basic rules so quickly? It's not that darn hard to follow them. He needs every rep he can get! That is one of the most frustrating things about JUCO's. They only have two years to help and far too often a few just can't get 'er done! Whether it's academics or basic behaviors, it just ain't that d--n difficult to
meet basic minimum standards!:angry013:

Not a good start for the young man. Hopefully he has learned his lesson. QB has to he a leader on and off the field. I do believe this QB battle will possibly go down to shortly before the first game. I have my favorite, but we will have to see. We might have a clearer picture at T-Day

DedicatedTrojan84
03-20-2014, 10:08 AM
CheezIt needs to GTFOS.

:eek: Sorry cheating scoundrel.

Chasin170
03-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Not unusual for coaches (idle or not) to look at other teams in the spring.Good coaches are even better thieves and they are always looking for a better mousetrap.

Possum
03-20-2014, 10:22 AM
CheezIt needs to GTFOS.

I agree, totally...

FoulPolePhenom
03-20-2014, 10:39 AM
CheezIt needs to GTFOS.

i'm just wondering, when was he ever found gulity of any cheating?

tntrojan
03-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Trojan By Birth,

From the Alumni Office:
March 29
11:00 Tailgate at Alumni House
12:30 T-Day game
1:30 Trojan softball
4:30 Silver and Gold Trojan reception
7:00 2014 Sports Hall of Fame Banquet

CardinalBlackTrojan
03-20-2014, 12:34 PM

I'm wondering the same thing? A lot of you are sounding like Alabama fans now...

No matter what any of you might think about Gene Chizik, I surely on't mind having him on the sidelines if he is giving Wayne Bolt some defense tips. Even though Chizik never truly panned out to be a great head coach, he was a great defensive coordinator.

Auburn had a nasty defense from 2002-2004 under Chizik. His 2004 defense was #1 in the nation in points allowed (only 11.3 points per game). The very next year, he went to Texas as a co-DC and helped Texas win a national championship!

So Mr. Chizik, IF you are giving Coach Bolt some tips on how to improve the defense, keep walking our sidelines!

DedicatedTrojan84
03-20-2014, 12:55 PM

DT84 and 93% of others in the southeast (outside of those delirious entitled Barners) reviewed the evidence annnnnnd he is a piece of garbage.

DedicatedTrojan84
03-20-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm wondering the same thing? A lot of you are sounding like Alabama fans now...

No matter what any of you might think about Gene Chizik, I surely on't mind having him on the sidelines if he is giving Wayne Bolt some defense tips. Even though Chizik never truly panned out to be a great head coach, he was a great defensive coordinator.

Auburn had a nasty defense from 2002-2004 under Chizik. His 2004 defense was #1 in the nation in points allowed (only 11.3 points per game). The very next year, he went to Texas as a co-DC and helped Texas win a national championship!

So Mr. Chizik, IF you are giving Coach Bolt some tips on how to improve the defense, keep walking our sidelines!

SIR! Listen Here! If anybody round there pays players.....It's gonna be ME!

redwaver
03-20-2014, 01:07 PM

I will offer an apology here for my thoughts on Chizik. I was thinking he was STILL at Auburn and I'm still not over how they got our offensive coordinator a few years back!!! If he's helping one of our coaches, we'll take all that we can get.....especially on defense!

FoulPolePhenom
03-20-2014, 01:25 PM
DT84 and 93% of others in the southeast (outside of those delirious entitled Barners) reviewed the evidence annnnnnd he is a piece of garbage.

What evidence other than a bunch of he said/she said? And when was Chizik's name part of that?

dgoebel
03-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Don't really know or care what he did. All I know is he is not a successful HC. Any one on here could win with Cam Newton at QB....it's a fact. You seen what he did without him and the difference in him and Malzahn.

flockofoscars
03-20-2014, 02:05 PM

WOW You my friend do not know anything. Chizik is a class act. If there was paying going on who sais that the coach was even aware of it? He may not be the BEST head coach but he is not a piece of garbage. Calling someone you have no proof on a piece of garbage only reflects yourself.

flockofoscars
03-20-2014, 02:07 PM
I feel like there are some hidden Bammers on this page from time to time.

flockofoscars
03-20-2014, 02:11 PM
From the way Blakeney has been talking he seems very impressed with Silvers. That is kind of exciting because he is only a Freshman! :eatdrink004:

DedicatedTrojan84
03-20-2014, 02:12 PM
I feel like there are some hidden Bammers on this page from time to time.

DT is no Bammer and opinions are like booty holes.

thrl595
03-23-2014, 11:01 PM
At this point, I don't have a problem paying players.

dgoebel
03-24-2014, 08:20 AM
From the way Blakeney has been talking he seems very impressed with Silvers. That is kind of exciting because he is only a Freshman! :eatdrink004:

He is my choice for that very reason..4 years vs 2. He is a more complete package than the other 3 IMO. Good size, great arm, Mobil and very athletic.

preacher
03-24-2014, 10:30 AM
At this point, I don't have a problem paying players.

:rollinglaugh:

Hemi Man
03-24-2014, 12:36 PM
He is my choice for that very reason..4 years vs 2. He is a more complete package than the other 3 IMO. Good size, great arm, Mobil and very athletic.

Why would you not want the best player to be the quarterback?

Whether it's one of the jucos, Silvers, or Tidwell I want the best player leading the team.

flockofoscars
03-24-2014, 12:53 PM

Whether it's one of the jucos, Silvers, or Tidwell I want the best player leading the team.

Do you just look for reasons to argue with dgoebel?? :laughing021: haha seriously though its ok to be rooting for one of the players

Hemi Man
03-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Do you just look for reasons to argue with dgoebel?? :laughing021: haha seriously though its ok to be rooting for one of the players

More of just a curiosity as to why he writes off two guys he's never seen play for a guy with no college football experience.

I do think Silvers has stepped up and will be the guy after Spring camp is completed. I'm pretty sure, though that the competition won't be decided until about two weeks before the first game. I wish all five quarterbacks the best of luck. A healthy competition is a good thing.

Thanks for your permission to have a rooting interest.

dgoebel
03-24-2014, 01:46 PM

Best player will win the job. My point in all 4 being equal. ( which they won't) it makes sense going with the guy that can be your QB for 4 years. My other point on Silvers is that he posses the best combo of height, speed and arm. I have confidence that the best QB will start, and whoever gives us the best chance should be the starter.

dgoebel
03-24-2014, 01:49 PM
More of just a curiosity as to why he writes off two guys he's never seen play for a guy with no college football experience.

I do think Silvers has stepped up and will be the guy after Spring camp is completed. I'm pretty sure, though that the competition won't be decided until about two weeks before the first game. I wish all five quarterbacks the best of luck. A healthy competition is a good thing.

Where did I write off the other 3. As usual you interpret it how you want it. I was agreeing on something another poster had posted. If Silvers is the best, then he should start. There are positives about getting a guy that could start for 4 years, but after the last 3, whoever the best is, should and will start.

redwaver
03-24-2014, 02:56 PM

I suspect LB will have a rather significant interest in seeing the best QB available on the field all year! HOWEVER, IF a redshirt freshman with two years of college practice in our system is as good at the combined phases of the position as any other player then he obviously becomes the favorite. It makes sense to hope that person ( the best player) is the younger player, therefore "my pick is......"!👍

preacher
03-24-2014, 03:01 PM

You think Hemi would be in a better mood after the offensive showing put up by our baseball team.

dgoebel
03-24-2014, 03:22 PM
I suspect LB will have a rather significant interest in seeing the best QB available on the field all year! HOWEVER, IF a redshirt freshman with two years of college practice in our system is as good at the combined phases of the position as any other player then he obviously becomes the favorite. It makes sense to hope that person ( the best player) is the younger player, therefore "my pick is......"!👍

Actually he has had one fall and this is his second spring. If they grey shirt they are not allowed to practice, not sure if they can attend meetings etc. But he has been around the system and that is an advantage. I do agree that this QB battle might go down to 1-2 weeks before the UAB game.

Troy79
03-25-2014, 12:37 PM

Could not agree more Hemi. I think we all remember a few years back when there was a real battle for QB and a guy named Levi Brown (who transferred from Richmond) came into the season as the #3 QB on the roster, that turned out pretty good for Trojans! My hope is that it is so close of a competition that any of the three (or four) can see playing time and lead us down field so that Barry can say "Touch-down Men of Troy" a number of times this season!

Go TROY!

preacher
03-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Noticed in the reports Pruitt was running with 2's. Blakeney said slivers has had best spring. 2 thoughts:

1. They wanted to see significant time for Pruitt at QB since he has missed so much spring for breaking team rules.

Or

2. He is good enough to earn running with the 2's after little time at practice.

Blakeney said Pruitt is on steep learning curve. I think Pruitt could be extremely explosive in this offense. I think once he gets a handle on the playbook he will be hard to keep off the field. He will at very least push silvers to be great.

Your thoughts

dgoebel
03-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Noticed in the reports Pruitt was running with 2's. Blakeney said slivers has had best spring. 2 thoughts:

1. They wanted to see significant time for Pruitt at QB since he has missed so much spring for breaking team rules.

Or

2. He is good enough to earn running with the 2's after little time at practice.

Blakeney said Pruitt is on steep learning curve. I think Pruitt could be extremely explosive in this offense. I think once he gets a handle on the playbook he will be hard to keep off the field. He will at very least push silvers to be great.

Your thoughts

I think Pruett will see the field, May or may not be at QB. This battle will carry into fall camp. The only problem with practice is it is hard to get a grasp on what each QB can do running the ball. There is no contact on the QB so it might take a game to really get a feel. Pruett is the fastest of the 3, Brevard is Mobil also and Silvers may not be as fast as Pruett but he can still run. Silvers posses the best combo of size, speed and arm. It will boil down to who executes the best and makes the fewest mistakes and turnovers. I also think red zone effectiveness will be a huge deciding factor also. Looking forward to seeing all 4 this Sat. Along with the rest of the team.

preacher
03-25-2014, 02:26 PM
I think Pruett will see the field, May or may not be at QB. This battle will carry into fall camp. The only problem with practice is it is hard to get a grasp on what each QB can do running the ball. There is no contact on the QB so it might take a game to really get a feel. Pruett is the fastest of the 3, Brevard is Mobil also and Silvers may not be as fast as Pruett but he can still run. Silvers posses the best combo of size, speed and arm. It will boil down to who executes the best and makes the fewest mistakes and turnovers. I also think red zone effectiveness will be a huge deciding factor also. Looking forward to seeing all 4 this Sat. Along with the rest of the team.

Pruett throws a great ball. When you say arm whatbexactly are you talking about? Pruett is extremely accurate and strong plus he as amazing touch on the deep ball. He doesn't have silvers size but he's so fast and quick. He's not just a runner though. Great passer.

dgoebel
03-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Pruett throws a great ball. When you say arm whatbexactly are you talking about? Pruett is extremely accurate and strong plus he as amazing touch on the deep ball. He doesn't have silvers size but he's so fast and quick. He's not just a runner though. Great passer.

Each have their strengths and weakness. My only point on Silvers is that he has the best combo of all three. 6"2 200? ( I think) he is athletic also. Whoever can win is who I hope we give the ball to.

Troygrandfather
03-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Well why don't the other 3 I see on the roster, Tidwell, Brevard, and Harris just go on and transfer or leave. Far from over guys, easy looking when you know what the defense scrimmaging against is doing , big difference once life game. How are these 2 in the film room? That is a huge part. Just a thought. I would be careful being so giddy over anyone player at this point and once announced late August, then support whomever.

dgoebel
03-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Well why don't the other 3 I see on the roster, Tidwell, Brevard, and Harris just go on and transfer or leave. Far from over guys, easy looking when you know what the defense scrimmaging against is doing , big difference once life game. How are these 2 in the film room? That is a huge part. Just a thought. I would be careful being so giddy over anyone player at this point and once announced late August, then support whomever.

I agree that "May the best player win". The remarks started in reference to LB stating that Silvers has had the best Spring so far. I will root for whoever takes the snaps. Some players are practice players, some are game players, some are both. We won't know how any will do till a game situation. Said since before spring that this won't be settled till right before the first game and I still believe that. The picture might be slightly clearer but fall camp will be open competition also. I don't want any player hurt but injuries happen and that could change the scenario also. That is what happened in 2008. Jamie Hampton and a Tanner Jones both went down with knee injuries and the reins were handed to some guy named Levi Brown...and that turned out better than just ok.:thumb:

preacher
03-25-2014, 04:13 PM

Not writing any player off but I do think it was significant that Pruett was running with the 2's with much lese practice time.

Troygrandfather
03-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Personally 2 things and just my thoughts again, first of all reading way to much into him playing with 2nd team. He is a transfer, he needs to learn system quick to stand a chance this fall, he missed a week in trouble, which leads me to my last point, not sure what the trouble was, but if sat for a week, maybe should be suspended for the spring to think about what he did. I am all about 2nd chances, however he is not an 18 year old freshman first time away from mom and dad, he is at least 20-21 and been in college 2-3 years, should have most all out of system and on scholarship at a D1 school, sit and watch this spring and work harder in off season and come back in Fall camp and earn a spot, Make you a better person for it. Just to make myself clear ........I do believe in 2nd chances but did the punishment fit the crime? Don't know. I hope.

redwaver
03-25-2014, 10:30 PM

Just curious DG, where did you get your times, etc. As it relates to each QB's speed, size and arm strength? Have you been watching them practice? I have not been able to get to Troy for a practice session so I have no idea about those facts.

dgoebel
03-26-2014, 04:09 AM
Just curious DG, where did you get your times, etc. As it relates to each QB's speed, size and arm strength? Have you been watching them practice? I have not been able to get to Troy for a practice session so I have no idea about those facts.

Well Pruett and Brevard on film you can tell. I have heard from those who seen Silvers play in HS and remarks from KE after he signed him. I am looking forward to seeing all of them Sat. It is great that we have 4 battling for the job along with a 2 plus deep OL with game experience, a great combination of scat backs and big bruising rb's and a receiving core that I believe is going to be really good. Also looking forward to seeing a improved D.

Hemi Man
03-26-2014, 07:53 AM
You think Hemi would be in a better mood after the offensive showing put up by our baseball team.

What makes you think I'm not in a good mood?

Well Pruett and Brevard on film you can tell. I have heard from those who seen Silvers play in HS and remarks from KE after he signed him. I am looking forward to seeing all of them Sat. It is great that we have 4 battling for the job along with a 2 plus deep OL with game experience, a great combination of scat backs and big bruising rb's and a receiving core that I believe is going to be really good. Also looking forward to seeing a improved D.

Well you answered my question. I now know what your opinions are based on, in terms of the quarterback battle.

Lego
03-26-2014, 12:32 PM

There is a new fangled invention called the Internet that has websites with all this information.

DedicatedTrojan84
03-26-2014, 12:44 PM
There is a new fangled invention called the Internet that has websites with all this information.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11113/111131862/3338768-tyrone-bigs-meme-generator-say-what-003017.jpeg