PDA

View Full Version : Can't deliver in the clutch ?

PensacolaTrojan
03-07-2014, 10:48 PM
I am staring to lose count as to how many times TROY has loaded the bases only to fail to bring in even one run. I think it has been in all four of the last games we lost and each time, just one more hit could have made the difference between winning and losing. Maybe I just have a "glass half empty" attitude right now. I hope we can get some breaks soon but we have already fallen to 500 ball and going in the wrong direction. Maybe someone who has seen them in person can tell me that I am looking at this all wrong....please.

dgoebel
03-08-2014, 06:56 AM
Haven't seen them play but hopefully we get on a hot streak soon. We are not a very good ball club right now and what I mean is the points you bring up. Great teams (like last year) get great pitching, great defense and timely hitting. If we can get the bats working we will be ok, until then we could be a .500 or worse club. The Sun Belt is a very good baseball conference and we still have that to play. Time to right this ship.

Baseball has been the only bright spot in a awful 3 year stretch for Troy Athletics. If baseball finishes below .500 we will not gave a single sport this year with a winning record. Frustrating for sure.

LAZebra
03-08-2014, 10:43 AM
The pitching has been sufficient to win nearly every game. Leaving runners in scoring position has been the difference. Timely hitting usually comes with maturity, if the ability to hit is there in the first place. Our players can hit, they just have to start hitting when it matters most! This team has not really caught fire, I am not sure if we have any "fiery" players or not. If we do, I am ready for them to arrive. Go Trojans!!

RCTtrojans
03-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Once Tyler Vaughn starts hitting, Troy will be fine.

LAZebra
03-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Our guys delivered yesterday and today against a team whose starting pitching was nearly as good as ours. I suspect that many of our games this year will be nail biters.

PensacolaTrojan
03-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Glad to see us take the series. Looking forward to seeing our guys play in Mobile and Pensacola over the next few weeks.

KirkLazarus
03-10-2014, 09:39 AM
I am staring to lose count as to how many times TROY has loaded the bases only to fail to bring in even one run. I think it has been in all four of the last games we lost and each time, just one more hit could have made the difference between winning and losing. Maybe I just have a "glass half empty" attitude right now. I hope we can get some breaks soon but we have already fallen to 500 ball and going in the wrong direction. Maybe someone who has seen them in person can tell me that I am looking at this all wrong....please.

We're just not getting many breaks right now. Friday night, at least twice we hit balls hard right to UNO players with runners in scoring position. Another time we had a ball down the 3rd baseline that the 3rd baseman just lunged at and caught. Not diminishing the effort of the young man but it was pure luck.

Although it's not fair to compare teams I think it is worth noting that last year's team was 11-4 heading into conference play. Six of those wins came against FAMU and Hartford plus we had USM at home. FAMU is much improved and their coach is doing a good job with them. However, they shouldn't be confused with CMU or UNO... at least not at this point. Last year's team opened conference play 8-7, and then got hot down the stretch going 12-3 the second half to win the league.

It's fun, and easy, to remember the run we got on last year in the second half of the season all the way through the Regional Finals... but last year's team had some struggles of its own early.

In short lets just give the players time to find their stride. The pieces are there. Personally, I'm still optimistic that this team has a hot streak in it too.

LAZebra
03-25-2014, 12:48 PM
By the way, for the naysayers, this year's team is on pace to hit more HRs than last year's team!

Lego
03-26-2014, 12:36 PM
By the way, for the naysayers, this year's team is on pace to hit more HRs than last year's team!

Need Wins more than HRs.

LAZebra
03-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Need Wins more than HRs.

The point was all the folks saying that we were hopeless because of all the offense we lost. Those folks do not have a thorough understanding of baseball. We are also on pace for more doubles. Sooner or later doubles and home runs usually equate to more runs and more wins. This year's team is not much better or worse statistically than last year's team and may well be really good in the second half of the season like last year's team. Only time will tell, but any fan who is throwing in the towel this early is a weak fan, in my opinion.

redwaver
03-26-2014, 04:27 PM

That's great but sadly that isn't the statistic that counts!😊

LAZebra
03-26-2014, 08:27 PM
That's great but sadly that isn't the statistic that counts!😊

Repeating:The point was all the folks saying that we were hopeless because of all the offense we lost. Those folks do not have a thorough understanding of baseball. We are also on pace for more doubles. Sooner or later doubles and home runs usually equate to more runs and more wins. This year's team is not much better or worse statistically than last year's team and may well be really good in the second half of the season like last year's team. Only time will tell, but any fan who is throwing in the towel this early is a weak fan, in my opinion.

redwaver
03-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Repeating:The point was all the folks saying that we were hopeless because of all the offense we lost. Those folks do not have a thorough understanding of baseball. We are also on pace for more doubles. Sooner or later doubles and home runs usually equate to more runs and more wins. This year's team is not much better or worse statistically than last year's team and may well be really good in the second half of the season like last year's team. Only time will tell, but any fan who is throwing in the towel this early is a weak fan, in my opinion.

Wow! Someone makes a generality that home runs is just one statistic and suddenly they are "weak fans"! You spoke in assumptions and that is fine. Your theory of home runs and doubles may very well prove accurate.....and then it may not! All I said is at the end of the season won/loss is the only statistic worth a tinkers damn. Have not given up on this team and I hope they get it together. The statistic that troubles me is the LACK of any hit when we have men on base in scoring position. That says more about our 11 loses (7 by one run) than anything else. I look at pros like Dan Uggla of Braves country and he hit 20 homers last year and batted below the Mendosa line. Just sayin! Just because fans include thoughts that put your facts into a broader picture does not mean they are "weak" unless weakness is defined by agreeing with your post in totality. We just need to end the dang name calling just because there are other thoughts. It's the dark side of this site.

LAZebra
03-26-2014, 09:02 PM
Wow! Someone makes a generality that home runs is just one statistic and suddenly they are "weak fans"! You spoke in assumptions and that is fine. Your theory of home runs and doubles may very well prove accurate.....and then it may not! All I said is at the end of the season won/loss is the only statistic worth a tinkers damn. Have not given up on this team and I hope they get it together. The statistic that troubles me is the LACK of any hit when we have men on base in scoring position. That says more about our 11 loses (7 by one run) than anything else. I look at pros like Dan Uggla of Braves country and he hit 20 homers last year and batted below the Mendosa line. Just sayin! Just because fans include thoughts that put your facts into a broader picture does not mean they are "weak" unless weakness is defined by agreeing with your post in totality. We just need to end the dang name calling just because there are other thoughts. It's the dark side of this site.

If you are not a naysayer who decided before the season started we had no chance because of the players who graduated or were drafted. If you have not prematurely given up on the 2014 Trojans, then none of my comments were directed at you. I, however, don't need you to tell me that wins and losses are the bottom line. I think I had that figured out long before you showed up!

redwaver
03-26-2014, 09:12 PM
If you are not a naysayer who decided before the season started we had no chance because of the players who graduated or were drafted. If you have not prematurely given up on the 2014 Trojans, then none of my comments were directed at you. I, however, don't need you to tell me that wins and losses are the bottom line. I think I had that figured out long before you showed up!

Ok! I appreciate you allowing me to say a few words here after I "showed up"! That was considerate of you! Son, if my guess is right, I was at Troy long before you were even a glean in your dads eyes so easy on the sarcasm. It's not impressive. Everyone adds to or takes issue with post here. Otherwise you sit around like a stump reading the information handed down to the less informed by those blessed with the answers! Now, think hard and figure a way to make yourself feel all knowing. It was my email you responded to do if not to me then who exactly were you targeting?

LAZebra
03-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Ok! I appreciate you allowing me to say a few words here after I "showed up"! That was considerate of you! Son, if my guess is right, I was at Troy long before you were even a glean in your dads eyes so easy on the sarcasm. It's not impressive. Everyone adds to or takes issue with post here. Otherwise you sit around like a stump reading the information handed down to the less informed by those blessed with the answers! Now, think hard and figure a way to make yourself feel all knowing. It was my email you responded to do if not to me then who exactly were you targeting?

If you had bothered to pay attention to my earlier response you would have understood that my point was NOT how many home runs this team may or may not hit, but that this team is capable of producing enough offense to win many games. I am absolutely not your son, that is offensive, my dad was a better man than you will ever be!

redwaver
03-26-2014, 09:32 PM
If you had bothered to pay attention to my earlier response you would have understood that my point was NOT how many home runs this team may or may not hit, but that this team is capable of producing enough offense to win many games. I am absolutely not your son, that is offensive, my dad was a better man than you will ever be!

Not worthy of a comment!

Navarre Trojan
03-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Wow!!!!!
Somebody needs a snickers!!!!!!!

TFan
03-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Wow!!!!!
Somebody needs a snickers!!!!!!!

Jeez, whatever happened to sensitivity training?? Went the way of the '70's??

Hmmm, I suppose that Snickers are CHEAPER than an hour on the couch!!!:wave:

Hemi Man
03-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Wait. There was an argument and I wasn't involved? How did that happen?

LAZebra
03-28-2014, 07:44 AM
Wait. There was an argument and I wasn't involved? How did that happen?

Since they added beer at Riddle-Pace you are just so much more mellow!:eatdrink004:

Hemi Man
03-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Since they added beer at Riddle-Pace you are just so much more mellow!:eatdrink004:

Well played sir.

I believe some of our chants are catching on here lately. I hear echoes of them around the stadium, not coming from our section. I love it!

LAZebra
03-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Well played sir.

I believe some of our chants are catching on here lately. I hear echoes of them around the stadium, not coming from our section. I love it!

I do too! Whenever someone says something about your section I always reply, "I am glad they are on our side!"

Hemi Man
03-28-2014, 11:14 AM
I do too! Whenever someone says something about your section I always reply, "I am glad they are on our side!"

We are rated G and PG on our worst day. We don't make it personal and you would be surprised the number of players' parents that come up and thank us for bringing some energy to the games. It's fun.

FoulPolePhenom
03-28-2014, 01:18 PM
We are rated G and PG on our worst day. We don't make it personal and you would be surprised the number of players' parents that come up and thank us for bringing some energy to the games. It's fun.

What is the thing that is being said about Hulkamania or is it the new Holcombmania that's catching on?

Hemi Man
03-28-2014, 01:37 PM
What is the thing that is being said about Hulkamania or is it the new Holcombmania that's catching on?

It's Holcomania. I believe Ryan McCollough started that one.

LAZebra
03-28-2014, 02:57 PM
It's Holcomania. I believe Ryan McCollough started that one.

That is the only explanation for the HR Tuesday! (That and a 20 MPH wind) I hope someone scooped that ball out of the bay for him!