PDA

View Full Version : SBC baseball

newnan trojan
02-25-2014, 11:32 PM
UTA took down #12 TCU. WKU took down #4 Vandy. And ULL took down #1 LSU.

AndrewMichaelDunn
02-26-2014, 02:41 AM
Good news...

Hope we can do something this year

dgoebel
02-26-2014, 07:46 AM
UTA took down #12 TCU. WKU took down #4 Vandy. And ULL took down #1 LSU.

We have our hands full this year. ULL is ranked and there are very good teams in the Belt. We have a lot of improving to do if we have any hope of beating these teams. We have struggled so far. Losing to NK, splitting with CMU and beating a bad FAMU team by one run. Season is young and hope they get the momentum going.

Hemi Man
02-26-2014, 09:20 AM
We have our hands full this year. ULL is ranked and there are very good teams in the Belt. We have a lot of improving to do if we have any hope of beating these teams. We have struggled so far. Losing to NK, splitting with CMU and beating a bad FAMU team by one run. Season is young and hope they get the momentum going.

CMU is projected as the winner of their conference, a regional participant, and their Friday night starter is considered a very high draft prospect.

What are you basing FAMU being bad on?

dgoebel
02-26-2014, 09:44 AM
CMU is projected as the winner of their conference, a regional participant, and their Friday night starter is considered a very high draft prospect.

They are generally bad in most sports, they were horrible last year in baseball. CMU might win the MAC but northern schools are not the same caliper of southern schools in baseball due to the fact that the weather is better in the south, the kids can play year round and get in more games. Still believe this team can be good. They have to hit the ball better to compete in the Belt. Pitching is there and pitching win games, some extra run support helps also.

flockofoscars
02-26-2014, 10:04 AM
They are generally bad in most sports, they were horrible last year in baseball. CMU might win the MAC but northern schools are not the same caliper of southern schools in baseball due to the fact that the weather is better in the south, the kids can play year round and get in more games. Still believe this team can be good. They have to hit the ball better to compete in the Belt. Pitching is there and pitching win games, some extra run support helps also.

You are correct. Our bats need to be much more consistent to be competitive for another Sun Belt championship. The get hot for one inning but stay cool for the rest of them. This team has tons of potential but they seem much more shaky then I expected. There were some terrible Errors against FAMU and btw Hemi Man, FAMU does stink lol That should not have been a game. Without good pitching to get us out of some situations and a huge first inning we would have lost that game. We have the ability to win the Sun Belt but our team has got to be less sporadic and make less errors. Go Trojans! :thumb:

preacher
02-26-2014, 11:18 AM

You are correct. Our bats need to be much more consistent to be competitive for another Sun Belt championship. The get hot for one inning but stay cool for the rest of them. This team has tons of potential but they seem much more shaky then I expected. There were some terrible Errors against FAMU and btw Hemi Man, FAMU does stink lol That should not have been a game. Without good pitching to get us out of some situations and a huge first inning we would have lost that game. We have the ability to win the Sun Belt but our team has got to be less sporadic and make less errors. Go Trojans! :thumb:

It's baseball. Look at the scores of the game in the first post. This team will be in the mix at the end.

KirkLazarus
02-26-2014, 12:23 PM

FAMU's RPI going into the game was 45 according to warrennolan.com . Not great, but not bad either.

LAZebra
02-26-2014, 02:01 PM
I think this team can be very good; they are not there yet. The one major thing I have observed so far is that our hitting has not been timely. We have left too many runners in scoring position. If we can get some hits with two outs and runners on, the pitching will be sufficient to win many games.

redwaver
02-26-2014, 03:48 PM
I think this team can be very good; they are not there yet. The one major thing I have observed so far is that our hitting has not been timely. We have left too many runners in scoring position. If we can get some hits with two outs and runners on, the pitching will be sufficient to win many games.

True, and the other unexpected tendency so far is in the defense. Bobby said this might be the best defensive team he has had but to date that has been shakey to say the least but it is early so we need to show patience!

KirkLazarus
02-26-2014, 04:32 PM
True, and the other unexpected tendency so far is in the defense. Bobby said this might be the best defensive team he has had but to date that has been shakey to say the least but it is early so we need to show patience!

Fielding percentage this year to date is .969 . Last year it was .979 and I believe that led the SBC. So the errors are up a little at this point but we've had a handful of unusual ones. I suspect by the end of the year it'll be around the .980 mark, or better.

Errors always stand out more in close games and so far, other than the one NKU game, the games have been close.

dgoebel
02-26-2014, 07:05 PM
Fielding percentage this year to date is .969 . Last year it was .979 and I believe that led the SBC. So the errors are up a little at this point but we've had a handful of unusual ones. I suspect by the end of the year it'll be around the .980 mark, or better.

Errors always stand out more in close games and so far, other than the one NKU game, the games have been close.

The errors at FAMU could be attributed to playing on grass and clay for the first time this year. I would imagine field turf gives a truer hop to the ball and slows it down slightly verses clay.

redwaver
02-26-2014, 09:18 PM

Agreed! Just think they have been unexpected and at critical times.