PDA

View Full Version : Lost Troy State national championship ring returned after 25 years

Doug4Troy
02-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Lost Troy State national championship ring returned after 25 years

http://wsfa.images.worldnow.com/images/24810517_BG1.jpg

"BIRMINGHAM, AL (WAVE) -

Becoming a champion changes your life forever. Olympians get a gold medal to mark their moment in history. For others, it's a trophy or a ring. But what if that testament to all the hard work and sacrifice disappeared?

Freddie Thomas' 1987 Division II football national championship ring is the keepsake he thought he would never see again..."

Complete story: http://www.wsfa.com/story/24810517/lost-national-championship-ring-returned-after-25-years

ThePowerMan
02-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Wow, Freddie!! 25 years!! Freddie sits by me at the Troy games. Great guy! This ring will probably mean more to you now than it would if you hadn't lost it. Congrats!!

After all these years, I failed to connect him with the Miller brothers. Just after the championship game we lost some great guys in a car wreck (actually 3 brothers and a cousin). Their younger brother (high school and college classmate of mine) would also play at Troy in the 90's.

Doug4Troy
02-25-2014, 12:08 AM
Wow, Freddie!! 25 years!! Freddie sits by me at the Troy games. Great guy! This ring will probably mean more to you now than it would if you hadn't lost it. Congrats!!

I sit in the same section and never knew this story. So glad to see him get that well deserved ring back. Can't wait for the first home game to see that ring!

dgoebel
02-25-2014, 08:08 AM
No finer Trojan than Freddie Thomas. 2 time All-American and a great friend and teammate. He deserves to be in the HOF and hopefully goes in soon. His daughter is also a Troy student and Trojan Hostess for recruiting on game days. Proud to say I know Freddie Thomas and was his teammate.

dgoebel
02-25-2014, 08:11 AM

After all these years, I failed to connect him with the Miller brothers. Just after the championship game we lost some great guys in a car wreck (actually 3 brothers and a cousin). Their younger brother (high school and college classmate of mine) would also play at Troy in the 90's.

That was a horrible year. Sean and Thomas Miller were in my signing class so it hit me hard. We later lost Mark Chipman who was killed over the summer. We played 1988 with a black triangle on our helmets in memory of those three.

Hemi Man
02-25-2014, 08:34 AM
What an amazing story!!!!!!

Another thing I took away from that story is the need for banners recognizing the accomplishments of all the previous teams. Whether it's National Championships or Conference Championships. It would be a great tool to rengage previous athletes and students and bring them back home.

preacher
02-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Awesome story! Using the video for a men's conference and a sermon lead-in. So many ways to use it.

redwaver
02-25-2014, 01:06 PM

Another thing I took away from that story is the need for banners recognizing the accomplishments of all the previous teams. Whether it's National Championships or Conference Championships. It would be a great tool to rengage previous athletes and students and bring them back home.

Hemi you are soooooo right and how expensive can that be? We keep asking, "why would a kid want to come to a little country town in Alabama to play football?" Well they will come to play for a winner so put the signs out there and be proud! No other Sun Belt team has such a legacy! You gotta believe!😃

dgoebel
02-25-2014, 01:47 PM

Coach Blakney has extended an invitation to all former players and coaches for a reunion at the T-Day Game. I hope we have a good turnout.