PDA

View Full Version : Not a great start for baseball...

CardinalBlackTrojan
02-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Not a great start for baseball according to Troy standards...

We lost a game to Northern Kentucky, who JUST came into D1 baseball. They didn't have a lot of talent on that NKU team IMO, but Troy struggled in some of those games. I knew after that loss to NKU that this team may not be as good as some thought it might be, but I waited until the series with Central Michigan.

Now we have lost 2 straight games to Central Michigan, who got swept in 4 games by a not-very-good Navy... against our ace pitchers even!

This ball club is going to struggle this year it seems. They have yet to show they can generate any hitting power, especially on a consistent basis (except for the 14-4 win over NKU).

The pitching for Troy seems to be doing great, but when we have players in the lineup that can't hit and generate some runs, the great pitching does us no good.

I see Troy having less than 30 wins this year, unfortunately.

preacher
02-22-2014, 08:04 PM

We lost a game to Northern Kentucky, who JUST came into D1 baseball. They didn't have a lot of talent on that NKU team IMO, but Troy struggled in some of those games. I knew after that loss to NKU that this team may not be as good as some thought it might be, but I waited until the series with Central Michigan.

Now we have lost 2 straight games to Central Michigan, who got swept in 4 games by a not-very-good Navy... against our ace pitchers even!

This ball club is going to struggle this year it seems. They have yet to show they can generate any hitting power, especially on a consistent basis (except for the 14-4 win over NKU).

The pitching for Troy seems to be doing great, but when we have players in the lineup that can't hit and generate some runs, the great pitching does us no good.

It's early. None of us can tell the future. The central Michigan series has been a bummer so far. I personally think they will gel and be pretty impressive.

dgoebel
02-22-2014, 09:45 PM
Still early but there are concerns. The loss to Northern Ky was surprising and CMU only had 1 win before us. Hopefully we get it turned around before conference. ULL is ranked and USA is awfully good to. We need to be playing good ball by then.

LAZebra
02-22-2014, 10:08 PM

Just to set the record straight with the FACTS, CMU was swept by a RANKED UNLV team, not a "not-very-good Navy". I also believe your conclusion that Troy will not win 30 games is incorrect. This team will not likely win by large margins, but the pitching should win several close games for us. The bats may yet get going. This team is still looking for leaders after losing several from last year's team. I believe our coaches will get them headed in the right direction. BTW, the team is 4-3 going into Sunday, I think that is a winning record. You are correct, the team is off to a slow start but there is lots of baseball to be played.

newnan trojan
02-22-2014, 11:07 PM
When you lose several senoirs and players to the draft it happens. I knew we wouldn't be as good as last year but it's still early and they can jell as the season goes.

TFan
02-22-2014, 11:28 PM

Come end of season, you may be right. But we're 4-3 in a young season, give me a break fellas.

Hemi Man
02-23-2014, 09:43 AM
I hope no one was expecting the offense to be like it was last season. We did lose the 2-5 hitters from last seasons team. It's way to early to right them off. Looking forward to watching this team grow and come into their own.

jagd1305
02-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Last year's team and how it performed is gone now. This team will find it's own identity. If our guys are going to struggle, I'd rather them do it now than later. Much too soon for the warning flags to go up.

newnan trojan
02-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Good 3-0 start this morning against CMU

Doug4Troy
02-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Troy Baseball Tops Central Michigan; Pierce Earns Win No. 400

http://www.troytrojans.com/images/2014/2/23/rp_primary_Howard1.JPG

"TROY, Ala. The Troy University baseball team used a three-run first inning to defeat Central Michigan, 3-2, giving head coach Bobby Pierce his 400th win at the school and the Trojans a series split..."

Complete story: http://www.troytrojans.com/news/2014/2/23/BSB_0223141126.aspx

Lego
02-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Notice how Coach Pierce has won without all the crying and whining about not having the best facilities in the country.

:signs029:

Hemi Man
02-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Notice how Coach Pierce has won without all the crying and whining about not having the best facilities in the country.

:signs029:

Baseball has very nice facilities.

You're showing how uninformed your really are.

Possum
02-23-2014, 08:55 PM
I'd like more stands, but everything else is top notch...

newnan trojan
02-23-2014, 09:28 PM
We have the top 3 facilities in the SBC. And the SBC is a Top 5 conference in baseball typically.

preacher
02-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Troy Baseball Tops Central Michigan; Pierce Earns Win No. 400

http://www.troytrojans.com/images/2014/2/23/rp_primary_Howard1.JPG

"TROY, Ala. The Troy University baseball team used a three-run first inning to defeat Central Michigan, 3-2, giving head coach Bobby Pierce his 400th win at the school and the Trojans a series split..."

Complete story: http://www.troytrojans.com/news/2014/2/23/BSB_0223141126.aspx

If we get an early lead our pitching is top shelf.

TrojanEmpire
02-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Some of you need to remember we are having to replace a lot of thunder from last year's everyday lineup. It is going to take time for the lineup to gel after losing Santos, Pierce and Collins

TroyFootball05
02-24-2014, 12:27 PM
Some of you need to remember we are having to replace a lot of thunder from last year's everyday lineup. It is going to take time for the lineup to gel after losing Santos, Pierce and Collins

Very few seem to have that attitude regarding football for some reason. We had only three true returning starters last season and were very close to winning 8 or 9 games. We led the SBC in scoring offense by a mile with only Corey (and Deon, wildcat) and Terrance Jones (O-Line) starting at the same positions as the season before.

Back to baseball. I'm not too fond of the outer wall facing the sartain parking lot, but all in all its a good venue. How are beer sales doing? I drive by a game recently and attendance looked sparse, regardless of beer.

Admittedly, most of my life, I've vehemently hated baseball. But I think now is as good of a time to learn the game and broaden my horizons, as well as my Trojan Spirit. I will try to make a few games this year.

redwaver
02-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Very few seem to have that attitude regarding football for some reason. We had only three true returning starters last season and were very close to winning 8 or 9 games. We led the SBC in scoring offense by a mile with only Corey (and Deon, wildcat) and Terrance Jones (O-Line) starting at the same positions as the season before.

Back to baseball. I'm not too fond of the outer wall facing the sartain parking lot, but all in all its a good venue. How are beer sales doing? I drive by a game recently and attendance looked sparse, regardless of beer.

Admittedly, most of my life, I've vehemently hated baseball. But I think now is as good of a time to learn the game and broaden my horizons, as well as my Trojan Spirit. I will try to make a few games this year.

You are heading in a good direction. Baseball, more than most sports, requires the fan to understand the nueances of the game to get full measure of enjoyment from watching it or you get bored quickly. When you steal and why, bunt and why, how you play hitters, what pitches to throw and when are examples of things that will improve your opinion of the complexities of the game. Enjoy!

KirkLazarus
02-24-2014, 04:15 PM

At least you gave them a chance.

LAZebra
02-24-2014, 04:34 PM
You are heading in a good direction. Baseball, more than most sports, requires the fan to understand the nueances of the game to get full measure of enjoyment from watching it or you get bored quickly. When you steal and why, bunt and why, how you play hitters, what pitches to throw and when are examples of things that will improve your opinion of the complexities of the game. Enjoy!

This is precisely why it is my favorite sport to watch. I still get to officiate football and only stopped officiating basketball a few years ago. But I just love to watch baseball. I would live at the ballpark if I could.

WeSuck.com
02-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Baseball has very nice facilities.

You're showing how uniformed your really are.

Seriously, I was thinking the same thing.