PDA

View Full Version : Proposed NCAA Rule Change

dgoebel
02-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Don't know if anyone is following this but the NCAA rules committee has made a recomendation to prohibit offenses from snapping the ball until 10 seconds in on the play clock. They want the rule to allow defenses to substitute. This will kill the no huddle game. LB has stated he will vote against it.

Doug4Troy
02-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Don't know if anyone is following this but the NCAA rules committee has made a recomendation to prohibit offenses from snapping the ball until 10 seconds in on the play clock. They want the rule to allow defenses to substitute. This will kill the no huddle game. LB has stated he will vote against it.

I don't like the proposed rule, but I don't think it will really effect our offense a great deal. We typically get to the line quickly, but we don't snap it for several seconds while a play is signaled in.

I agree with those who think the proposed rule targets a particular east Alabama school and their offense.

Some folks don't consider the HUNH or the spread to be "real football." Those are the same people that have never truly forgiven the powers-that-be for allowing the forward pass.

preacher
02-14-2014, 04:47 PM

We may be glad we have all the beef on the o-line and a stable of backs for another reason. I think we have a line that could put it hand in the ground and do some damage. We have some big guys to run the ball also. We have the biggest and strongest receiving corp. we have had in a long time.

redwaver
02-14-2014, 04:48 PM

Dumb as dirt! Saban's idea is if you can't beat it get it changed. For the sake of all that's holy, leave the game alone. It already doesn't resemble football of a few years ago. You can't get near the QB, uou can't hit a guy coming across the middle reaching for a catch. They do need to require a camera on every end zone on both sides aka UAB! Let 'um play!

dgoebel
02-14-2014, 04:56 PM
I don't like the proposed rule, but I don't think it will really effect our offense a great deal. We typically get to the line quickly, but we don't snap it for several seconds while a play is signaled in.

I agree with those who think the proposed rule targets a particular east Alabama school and their offense.

Some folks don't consider the HUNH or the spread to be "real football." Those are the same people that have never truly forgiven the powers-that-be for allowing the forward pass.

We don't snap it as quick as some other teams do like Oregon, Baylor and Auburn. A lot depends on how plays are signaled. From what I have seen the sign system works faster than the hand signal only system. Not a huge difference, but 10 seconds difference at least. Add those 10 seconds up over a game and it could cut 20 plays out of an offense and on which one of those plays could a score happen on??

dgoebel
02-14-2014, 04:58 PM
We may be glad we have all the beef on the o-line and a stable of backs for another reason. I think we have a line that could put it hand in the ground and do some damage. We have some big guys to run the ball also. We have the biggest and strongest receiving corp. we have had in a long time.

We still don't have the size to ground and pound like Bama or Wisconsin does, but I really think we are going to have the best run game we have had in years. If our QB can run (which they will) then we are going to be explosive in our run game and that really opens up the passing game.

dgoebel
02-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Dumb as dirt! Saban's idea is if you can't beat it get it changed. For the sake of all that's holy, leave the game alone. It already doesn't resemble football of a few years ago. You can't get near the QB, uou can't hit a guy coming across the middle reaching for a catch. They do need to require a camera on every end zone on both sides aka UAB! Let 'um play!

Heard the QB's will wear flags this year but both have to be Yanked off for the play to be over :rollinglaugh: also any defender who puts a hard, legal hit on a player will have to publicly apologize and go to counseling. It amazes me that a DB makes a tackle any more while thinking about how to hit. There was some validity to a recommendation Paterno had made " if they want to eliminate the leading with the head and cut down the concussions...take away the face masks". You don't see guys leading with their heads in rugby. If you want to see wrap up, form tackling...seriously..watch Troy's Rugby team.

Pete
02-16-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm not really sure which game it was or the team, but didn't USA stall on the subbing in the game, causing the play clock to dwindle, Cory complaining as it was happening, and us getting a delay of game? Then, they did it again, the very next play, this time finally getting the delay called on them? What did it accomplish other than people getting Torqued off. I remember playing SEC teams, take Tennessee, where the official also held onto the ball until all the defensive changes were made. The play clock still ran down. Slow down the speed of the substitutions and not spot the ball. Play clock still runs.
May this not be the case: Lets let everybody make their subs until there is no time left on the play clock.
Or, don't start the play clock until the Official spots the ball. Wait, did it not used to be like that? I may be wrong on this, because what they want to do makes little sense to me. Got to agree with LB's take on this though.
Let's make another new rule that will work until someone figures a way around it. ......Like maybe the kick-off spot, what was it ,the 25, the 30, the 45? Anyway...:signs001: