PDA

View Full Version : Beer!!!!!

newnan trojan
02-13-2014, 01:25 PM
Is approved to be sold at all athletic facilities at Troy!!!

On a side note draft beer was approved by the city of Troy.

dgoebel
02-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Is approved to be sold at all athletic facilities at Troy!!!

On a side note draft beer was approved by the city of Troy.

I heard that Riddle-Pace Field will sell beer, I hadn't heard that the Arena or the Vet will. Where did you hear all facilities??

newnan trojan
02-13-2014, 02:48 PM
I heard that Riddle-Pace Field will sell beer, I hadn't heard that the Arena or the Vet will. Where did you hear all facilities??

It's a test trial at Riddle-Pace field... If it goes well they will expand it to other sports... I don't see it not going well.

Trojanfan 55
02-13-2014, 03:07 PM
http://www.waka.com/news/troy-news/Troy-University-Will-Not-Sell-Beer-at-Football-Games-138090018.html?m=y

newnan trojan
02-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Some people need to quit being so damn conservative...

The kids will drink whether the university does it or not.

Hemi Man
02-13-2014, 03:35 PM
http://www.waka.com/news/troy-news/Troy-University-Will-Not-Sell-Beer-at-Football-Games-138090018.html?m=y

That's an old article.

preacher
02-13-2014, 03:36 PM
"People bring their own alcohol, so either way it goes, why not make a profit,"

I understand what he is saying, but this is a poor rational. Make the argument based off of profits that could be made.

For those of us who think this is a poor idea this argument doesn't help. Follow that rational out. There is sexual promiscuity in society then why not profit off of it. There is other recreational drug use, then why not make a profit from it. The argument, there are some who choose to do x, then why not profit from x, is weak. Alcohol is illegal for minors. A large portion of the sell in the vet would go to minors. There is no way to reasonably stop it. Are we going to hire 10 times the law enforcement to card everyone partaking because carding at the counter won't work. One guy will by 3 rounds and they won't have a clue where it is going. Yes there is underage drinking going on already but I would argue that there is a moral failure for the university to sell knowing that there is no way to assure the university is not aiding in the consumption by a minor.

The only way I think that you make this call is look at all that will have to be added to assure it would be done above board. Subtract those cost from expected profits. Then there is the things such as loss of image and other topics brought up in the article. It would be hard to judge that in dollars and cents.

The town in which I pastor went wet a few years ago. It was promised to bring in business and create so much tax revenue. Oh well. The ones who pushed so hard for the move personally expected to make a killing off the sell of alcohol. Most of them are out of business. The grocery stores have done ok from the sell. The city corporately has only seen negative effects from the city going wet. You can make numbers say whatever you want them to say. You have to go on your heart and deep convictions here. This is not a good thing for the home team.

newnan trojan
02-13-2014, 03:44 PM
The vast majority of people at the games are 21+

Guess restaurants should stop selling beer since Minors go there to eat then right?

preacher
02-13-2014, 03:45 PM

Guess restaurants should stop selling beer since Minors go there to eat then right?

What percentage do you think are minors?

newnan trojan
02-13-2014, 03:50 PM
What percentage do you think are minors?

No idea. My guess would be 20%

Why is this such a big problem? Other universities do it and the majority of people are in favor of it.

Why not police it and have arm bands? The kids that don't break the law won't and the ones that do will do it regardless of whether we sell it or not. But if they are caught without a arm band they should go to jail or
Whatever they do now
And days.

Chasin170
02-13-2014, 03:51 PM
"hurry up with the invocation my beer is getting hot?" :scared:

preacher
02-13-2014, 03:52 PM

If they know that the minor is consuming then yes it should stop being served to that table. Much easier for an establishment to be responsible in that setting. My point was the vet is to big of a place to assure that we are selling responsibly. Think trough what I am saying before a quick response. I know that I am have a different opinion than most but it is not without logic.

preacher
02-13-2014, 03:53 PM
:rollinglaugh: Just glad your listening.

"hurry up with the invocation my beer is getting hot?" :scared:

newnan trojan
02-13-2014, 03:55 PM
If they know that the minor is consuming then yes it should stop being served to that table. Much easier for an establishment to be responsible in that setting. My point was the vet is to big of a place to assure that we are selling responsibly. Think trough what I am saying before a quick response. I know that I am have a different opinion than most but it is not without logic.

I don't agree with you sorry.

newnan trojan
02-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Troys goal of having 1300 average attendance this year in baseball will likely be exceeded due to the sales.

preacher
02-13-2014, 03:57 PM
No idea. My guess would be 20%

Why is this such a big problem? Other universities do it and the majority of people are in favor of it.

Why not police it and have arm bands? The kids that don't break the law won't and the ones that do will do it regardless of whether we sell it or not. But if they are caught without a arm band they should go to jail or
Whatever they do now
And days.

Reasonable suggestion to police underage drinking. Ok. Still would need to be an increase law enforcement. There would probably be an increase in insurance cost also. Hey I'm just thinking like a business man here. What's the bottom line.

preacher
02-13-2014, 03:58 PM
I don't agree with you sorry.

That's what makes our country and Trojan Nation great.

FoulPolePhenom
02-13-2014, 04:07 PM

I'm sure they researched with even bigger venues than ours that do this kind of thing regularly and figured out ways to police it.

dgoebel
02-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Has anyone heard what brand of beer they are serving?

newnan trojan
02-13-2014, 04:12 PM

Hartwell said they will serve several different types and for 5$ a cup

Hemi Man
02-13-2014, 04:32 PM
"People bring their own alcohol, so either way it goes, why not make a profit,"

I understand what he is saying, but this is a poor rational. Make the argument based off of profits that could be made.

For those of us who think this is a poor idea this argument doesn't help. Follow that rational out. There is sexual promiscuity in society then why not profit off of it. There is other recreational drug use, then why not make a profit from it. The argument, there are some who choose to do x, then why not profit from x, is weak. Alcohol is illegal for minors. A large portion of the sell in the vet would go to minors. There is no way to reasonably stop it. Are we going to hire 10 times the law enforcement to card everyone partaking because carding at the counter won't work. One guy will by 3 rounds and they won't have a clue where it is going. Yes there is underage drinking going on already but I would argue that there is a moral failure for the university to sell knowing that there is no way to assure the university is not aiding in the consumption by a minor.

The only way I think that you make this call is look at all that will have to be added to assure it would be done above board. Subtract those cost from expected profits. Then there is the things such as loss of image and other topics brought up in the article. It would be hard to judge that in dollars and cents.

The town in which I pastor went wet a few years ago. It was promised to bring in business and create so much tax revenue. Oh well. The ones who pushed so hard for the move personally expected to make a killing off the sell of alcohol. Most of them are out of business. The grocery stores have done ok from the sell. The city corporately has only seen negative effects from the city going wet. You can make numbers say whatever you want them to say. You have to go on your heart and deep convictions here. This is not a good thing for the home team.

Adults consuming alcohol is not illegal. Most people aren't going to risk losing their privilege to buy alcohol by buying it for a minor.

Jesus turned the water into wine.

Drinking alcohol is not the sin. Drunkenness is a sin.

Hemi Man
02-13-2014, 04:33 PM

Most likely Bud and Bud light with a few other good ones mixed in with those.

Chasin170
02-13-2014, 04:48 PM
Jesus turning water to wine,made the water drinkable.Prov 23:31-34 "In the end wine bites like a snake and poisons like a viper.......

I hope we aren't serving two masters by drug testing one month and selling alcohol the next.......I understand their is a balance sheet and people do a very good job at our university. That is all.

Possum
02-13-2014, 05:32 PM
I like the idea, we just have to be careful about it...

I look forward to buying a draft beer ANYWHERE in Troy!

TroyFootball05
02-13-2014, 05:40 PM
I did some graphics work for Troy-IMG last semester. The sponsored logos we always used were Coors. With IMG out, I assume that contract has been severed?

Troygrandfather
02-13-2014, 05:49 PM
I am born and bread Southern Baptist, my wife Catholic. Years ago we had to come to an understanding and raised our children a certain way, and I hope it has carried down to our grandchildren. Anything in excess is to much, rather its, over eating, gambling, shopping, alcohol, etc. However all of these are legal after a certain age. Its about learning self control and good habits. I will have a beer and my wife a glass of wine and always have but self control kicks in. The double standard IMO, is the ability to walk around in a draft free or dry county on a Football Saturday with an open container and get over looked by the police just because its a football day. With that being said, sounds good if people are going to drink to make it a fund raiser for the school.

Hemi Man
02-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Jesus turning water to wine,made the water drinkable.Prov 23:31-34 "In the end wine bites like a snake and poisons like a viper.......

I hope we aren't serving two masters by drug testing one month and selling alcohol the next.......I understand their is a balance sheet and people do a very good job at our university. That is all.

I understand your point. However, one is legal and one isn't. There are no rules against athletes of legal drinking age, to have a beer.

Hemi Man
02-13-2014, 06:23 PM
TMiXZE2CUlk

preacher
02-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Adults consuming alcohol is not illegal. Most people aren't going to risk losing their privilege to buy alcohol by buying it for a minor.

Jesus turned the water into wine.

Drinking alcohol is not the sin. Drunkenness is a sin.

Drunkenness is the sin. You are correct. Since theology as been brought into this let me write a few lines.

Logically thinking through drunkenness being a sin:
1. What is biblical drunkenness? Ephesians 5:18 is the best example of this. Biblical drunkenness is defined as being under the influence of the substance.

2. When does drunkenness or becoming under the influence happen? Once the alcohol consumed has in effect on the mind, body, or soul influence has taken place. For instance it is one mile from my house to the church. When I walk 1/4 mile I am not at the church but I am not at the house anymore. My circumstances have changed. Suppose it takes you 15 beers to get cross eyed :sick016:. You would have never gotten that way unless you had not drank 1. Alcohol has a cumulative effect. You don't drink 14 then bam :sick016:. Influence starts soon biblically speaking.

Jesus creating wine:
Those who use this argument to defend their habit are no better than the ones that day who missed the miracle to partake in their habit. Christ took water and turned it into a different substance - wine. Not just any wine but wine that was fine or aged wine. So the miracle was his ability to as the water was being poured - change it into something that was aged for years. Nothing new for Christ to not be recognized correctly (John 1:11).

What about Jesus drinking wine? Good question. There is not time here to discuss this fully but let me say this. Did Jesus sin? No. How does the Bible describe drunkenness? influence of the substance. Was Jesus ever under the influence of strong drink? No.

Biblical reason for a believer to not drink alcohol:
"All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify." 1 Corinthians 10:23

Alcohol is not very profitable to life.
a. Expensive (most times)
b. Can lead to major judgment issues
c. Can lead others to question your witness
d. Does not edify other Christians.
e. Can easily lead to sin (drunkenness) and then to greater sins (most of my experience this is adulterous thoughts and actions). If I had a dime for every time someone said, "I would have never done it if I wasn't drunk."

Besides cooking alcohol is useless to me. Personal opinion here.

I do not expect the world to act like the church. I would hope that the church would act like the church in the world.

As for as the sale of alcohol at the games goes this is a business decision. I don't think it is a wise one, but it isn't mine to make. Does not effect my love for the school or my fellow members of the Trojan Nation.

Go Troy!

redwaver
02-13-2014, 06:55 PM
Has anyone heard what brand of beer they are serving? Goebel

Pabst Blue Ribbon!:-)

preacher
02-13-2014, 07:04 PM
TMiXZE2CUlk

Sound like Hartwell has a good plan in place to protect against my concerns. I like that he is going to phase it into the other venues depending on how appropriately it is handled by staff and fans during baseball. One thing though. One of his opening comments its not about the sale of beer but about the fan experience. It's about the dollar. Just say it. Old green always wins out in this old world. And don't say we are trying to keep up with others. Appreciate the research but own it Hartwell. Say, "I am leading us to do this because it makes the bottom line bigger." Shoot it straight.

Go Trojans!

Hemi Man
02-13-2014, 07:21 PM
Sound like Hartwell has a good plan in place to protect against my concerns. I like that he is going to phase it into the other venues depending on how appropriately it is handled by staff and fans during baseball. One thing though. One of his opening comments its not about the sale of beer but about the fan experience. It's about the dollar. Just say it. Old green always wins out in this old world. And don't say we are trying to keep up with others. Appreciate the research but own it Hartwell. Say, "I am leading us to do this because it makes the bottom line bigger." Shoot it straight.

Go Trojans!

A lot of people enjoy a cold beer at a baseball game. I think that's the point of the fan experience.

newnan trojan
02-13-2014, 07:45 PM
A lot of people enjoy a cold beer at a baseball game. I think that's the point of the fan experience.

Yup... I think we will see a nice increase in attendance... Maybe start getting money ready for the baseball stadium upgrade.

Buzz Lightyear
02-13-2014, 09:50 PM

Do they still make Billy Beer? Maybe we can have a micro brewery beer....something like "Alumni Hall" you know filtered over three times thru a sock....or something like that....any way you slice it there better be more folks working the concession stands......think this will b popular and very few if any not coming because of it.......:paperbag:

Buzz Lightyear
02-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Yup... I think we will see a nice increase in attendance... Maybe start getting money ready for the baseball stadium upgrade.

maybe we can have like they have at Sea World with their splash zones.....we can have our sloshed zones

WeSuck.com
02-13-2014, 10:16 PM
It's not about lining someones pocket, it's about paying for TMTDM athletics.

I would think that "Pouring Rights" for all venues could command a 6 figure number per year.

preacher
02-13-2014, 11:20 PM

Many liked it before also. Before the smell of beer in the stands. The louder and more rude fans (not fact yet just prediction). Before the man siting in the middle of the row having to go take a leak 3 times an inning.

How sad that it takes serving alcohol to increase attendance.? That's the way to support the team. Not sure after the novelty has worn off how much of an increase there will be. Maybe a lot. I'm sure the student body will be there in droves now - but wait most of them should not be legal yet - but they will somehow probably have an armband and be tying one on with the rest (just a prediction).

maybe we can have like they have at Sea World with their splash zones.....we can have our sloshed zones

I can see it now - taking my 9 and 7 year old to the ballgame to cheer for the Trojans - not only will this section (and there will be one -I once walked the hallowed halls of Troy State University - the party of the south) be loud but the more lit they become profanity and rude comments about the opposite sex will be heard over PA announcer. The family will be exiting early saying kids you better never act so childish and disrespectful. May I be wrong but look at you guys most of you are probably washed out partiers that are now hard working dads and you are salivating over it. What do you think the young bucks will be like?

preacher
02-13-2014, 11:23 PM
It's not about lining someones pocket, it's about paying for TMTDM athletics.

I would think that "Pouring Rights" for all venues could command a 6 figure number per year.

I think we will probably see a nice increase in the bottom line for athletics. Good can come from anything. I just hate to see it(alcohol for sell at games). End doesn't justify the means to me. That's my last say on this.

Go Trojans!

preacher
02-13-2014, 11:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHJg1XrlNXQ&feature=player_detailpage

dgoebel
02-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Many liked it before also. Before the smell of beer in the stands. The louder and more rude fans (not fact yet just prediction). Before the man siting in the middle of the row having to go take a leak 3 times an inning.

How sad that it takes serving alcohol to increase attendance.? That's the way to support the team. Not sure after the novelty has worn off how much of an increase there will be. Maybe a lot. I'm sure the student body will be there in droves now - but wait most of them should not be legal yet - but they will somehow probably have an armband and be tying one on with the rest (just a prediction).

I can see it now - taking my 9 and 7 year old to the ballgame to cheer for the Trojans - not only will this section (and there will be one -I once walked the hallowed halls of Troy State University - the party of the south) be loud but the more lit they become profanity and rude comments about the opposite sex will be heard over PA announcer. The family will be exiting early saying kids you better never act so childish and disrespectful. May I be wrong but look at you guys most of you are probably washed out partiers that are now hard working dads and you are salivating over it. What do you think the young bucks will be like?

Valid concerns. I can speak for the Tampa Bay Rays, as I go to a few games. They have a alcohol free family zone, so that is an option also. I have never experienced any drunk, rowdy fans at any games I have attended. Not saying it doesn't happen, but at least when we go it hasn't. Also remember that the baseball stadium holds I believe 2,000-2,500 with average attendance of usually around 1,000-1,2000 a game. How many of these will have a beer?? Not every student is 21 either. Troy for the most part is a conservative, friendly, respectful place. I don't see this being a problem and if it generates some income, makes some new fans then it can only help Troy. The other point is if a fan does get rowdy and is holding a beer, it is much easier to have a reason for the police to remove him.

Possum
02-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Has anyone heard what brand of beer they are serving? Goebel

Pabst Blue Ribbon!:-)

:sick016:

dgoebel
02-14-2014, 09:24 AM
:sick016:

Could be Great Value Brand :laughing021:

LAZebra
02-14-2014, 10:04 AM
I don't believe attendance will be affected in any major way. I won't be buying beer, but if y'all want to, I don't have a big problem with it, until you spill beer on my wife or daughter, or start using salty language around them because you have lost your manners along with your inhibitions. Then I will have a large problem with it. In Troy, I see it as not being a huge deal and only having a few isolated problems. I don't think the revenue increase will be as much as many think. Troy folks don't seem to like to spend money, so even some of the drinkers will balk at a $5.00 beer.

preacher
02-14-2014, 10:21 AM
I don't believe attendance will be affected in any major way. I won't be buying beer, but if y'all want to, I don't have a big problem with it, until you spill beer on my wife or daughter, or start using salty language around them because you have lost your manners along with your inhibitions. Then I will have a large problem with it. In Troy, I see it as not being a huge deal and only having a few isolated problems. I don't think the revenue increase will be as much as many think. Troy folks don't seem to like to spend money, so even some of the drinkers will balk at a $5.00 beer.

Which is why in my opinion they are launching it in the relatively small confines of Riddle-Pace. If there is a loss it will be smaller. If there is a profit, predictions can be made for the vet. And much easier to police and give a test run.

preacher
02-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Does TROY make profit off of each sell or did contractors bid a flat rate for the space?

Buzz Lightyear
02-14-2014, 01:23 PM
I will be serious for once..........I agree no increase or decrease in attendance due to this and as far as beer spilling etc.......mostly no different than soda spilling.....cause most are not going to be sloshed that much....there will be pockets of drunk folks making a day of it here and there....but guess what they were drunk when they came in......maybe a little more sober during game but oft left early to drink....more...........There was a little glob of guys and girls at Mobile the last time we played USA....they arrived in the late 2nd quarter......and because so sparse due to rain as to attendance could just move a little................IF THERE IS AN ISSUE SECURITY WILL BE GLAD TO ASSIST WITH OBNOXIOUS DRUNK PEOPLE. I do not personally care for beer......now if they had margueritas I would probably be a little louder.......but I do know that some folks like beer particularly when its hot..............and as far as increasing revenue.....may I suggest that when it is cold to have more hot chocolate vendors.....they will far and away out do the beer sales on those days...

LAZebra
02-14-2014, 01:30 PM
I will be serious for once..........I agree no increase or decrease in attendance due to this and as far as beer spilling etc.......mostly no different than soda spilling.....cause most are not going to be sloshed that much....there will be pockets of drunk folks making a day of it here and there....but guess what they were drunk when they came in......maybe a little more sober during game but oft left early to drink....more...........There was a little glob of guys and girls at Mobile the last time we played USA....they arrived in the late 2nd quarter......and because so sparse due to rain as to attendance could just move a little................IF THERE IS AN ISSUE SECURITY WILL BE GLAD TO ASSIST WITH OBNOXIOUS DRUNK PEOPLE. I do not personally care for beer......now if they had margueritas I would probably be a little louder.......but I do know that some folks like beer particularly when its hot..............and as far as increasing revenue.....may I suggest that when it is cold to have more hot chocolate vendors.....they will far and away out do the beer sales on those days...

Yes! to hot chocolate and decent coffee on cold days!

dgoebel
02-14-2014, 01:31 PM

Dont forget the coffee on those days. I would love to see Village Coffee set up a stand also. One thing is for sure. The coffee/hot chocolate vendors would have starved to death at the UAB football game last year. It felt like 105 in the shade.

TexasTrojan
02-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Drunkenness is the sin. You are correct. Since theology as been brought into this let me write a few lines.

Logically thinking through drunkenness being a sin:
1. What is biblical drunkenness? Ephesians 5:18 is the best example of this. Biblical drunkenness is defined as being under the influence of the substance.

2. When does drunkenness or becoming under the influence happen? Once the alcohol consumed has in effect on the mind, body, or soul influence has taken place. For instance it is one mile from my house to the church. When I walk 1/4 mile I am not at the church but I am not at the house anymore. My circumstances have changed. Suppose it takes you 15 beers to get cross eyed :sick016:. You would have never gotten that way unless you had not drank 1. Alcohol has a cumulative effect. You don't drink 14 then bam :sick016:. Influence starts soon biblically speaking.

Jesus creating wine:
Those who use this argument to defend their habit are no better than the ones that day who missed the miracle to partake in their habit. Christ took water and turned it into a different substance - wine. Not just any wine but wine that was fine or aged wine. So the miracle was his ability to as the water was being poured - change it into something that was aged for years. Nothing new for Christ to not be recognized correctly (John 1:11).

What about Jesus drinking wine? Good question. There is not time here to discuss this fully but let me say this. Did Jesus sin? No. How does the Bible describe drunkenness? influence of the substance. Was Jesus ever under the influence of strong drink? No.

Biblical reason for a believer to not drink alcohol:
"All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify." 1 Corinthians 10:23

Alcohol is not very profitable to life.
a. Expensive (most times)
b. Can lead to major judgment issues
c. Can lead others to question your witness
d. Does not edify other Christians.
e. Can easily lead to sin (drunkenness) and then to greater sins (most of my experience this is adulterous thoughts and actions). If I had a dime for every time someone said, "I would have never done it if I wasn't drunk."

Besides cooking alcohol is useless to me. Personal opinion here.

I do not expect the world to act like the church. I would hope that the church would act like the church in the world.

As for as the sale of alcohol at the games goes this is a business decision. I don't think it is a wise one, but it isn't mine to make. Does not effect my love for the school or my fellow members of the Trojan Nation.

Go Troy!

Not that expensive if you just keep getting back in line for communion:paperbag:

dgoebel
02-14-2014, 04:11 PM
I wanted to add one final thought on this. I am a Christian and attend church regularly. I have volunteered as FCA Chaplain at two local high schools here. I occasionally have (1) beer at my T-club tailgate area and maybe once or twice a year at dinner with my wife. I never have more than one and never to get drunk. I don't like whiskey or mixed drinks ( taste), I don't have a problem with someone having a drink, I do have problems with people drinking to excess and being drunk. I have listened to countless preachers talk about the evils of cigarettes and alcohol while they themselves weighed over 300 pounds. Gluttony is also a sin, and obesity is a bigger health risk than someone having 1 beer two to five times a year. Point is, there are all types of things and behaviors that are looked upon as sin, but be careful to point out ones splinter if we have a 2x4 in our own eye.

preacher
02-14-2014, 04:31 PM
I wanted to add one final thought on this. I am a Christian and attend church regularly. I have volunteered as FCA Chaplain at two local high schools here. I occasionally have (1) beer at my T-club tailgate area and maybe once or twice a year at dinner with my wife. I never have more than one and never to get drunk. I don't like whiskey or mixed drinks ( taste), I don't have a problem with someone having a drink, I do have problems with people drinking to excess and being drunk. I have listened to countless preachers talk about the evils of cigarettes and alcohol while they themselves weighed over 300 pounds. Gluttony is also a sin, and obesity is a bigger health risk than someone having 1 beer two to five times a year. Point is, there are all types of things and behaviors that are looked upon as sin, but be careful to point out ones splinter if we have a 2x4 in our own eye.

Obesity is a huge problem. Can even be argued that the increase in everyone's medical care is because of the overall poor health of American citizens. Gluttony is a major sin but as long as you would have to spend $100 at the concession stand to come close to this I think Troy is in no danger of causing that. Consumption of minors and crowd control is my major concerns.

Gave a defense for biblically abstaining from alcohol use only after someone brought theology into the discussion. Listen we all have our shortcoming (Romans 3:23). That doesn't make our shortcomings right. Here's the great news just like Christ changed the substance of the liquid from water (worthless) to aged wine (something of great value). He can change us, once we place our faith in him as Savior, into something that has great value (Romans 6:23, 2 Corinthians 5:17).

Couldn't let the lame misused excuse of Jesus turned the water into wine just stay out there without a clarification. On one hand we are talking about beer sells at a ball game. On the other we are misusing the name of Christ to defend our desire to drink. Sorry can't look the other way on that one.

preacher
02-14-2014, 04:35 PM
I have listened to countless preachers talk about the evils of cigarettes and alcohol while they themselves weighed over 300 pounds.

Preacher man is 5'11" 190lbs. A little over wait but no 300. :jester:

dgoebel
02-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Obesity is a huge problem. Can even be argued that the increase in everyone's medical care is because of the overall poor health of American citizens. Gluttony is a major sin but as long as you would have to spend $100 at the concession stand to come close to this I think Troy is in no danger of causing that. Consumption of minors and crowd control is my major concerns.

Gave a defense for biblically abstaining from alcohol use only after someone brought theology into the discussion. Listen we all have our shortcoming (Romans 3:23). That doesn't make our shortcomings right. Here's the great news just like Christ changed the substance of the liquid from water to aged wine (something of great value). He can change us once we place our faith in him as Savior into something of a different substance that has great value (Romans 6:23, 2 Corinthians 5:17).

Couldn't let the lame misused excuse of Jesus turned the water into wine just stay out there without a clarification. On one hand we are talking about beer sells at a ball game. On the other we are misusing the name of Christ to defend our desire to drink. Sorry can't look the other way on that one.

Wine was used back then because of water being scarce in a dessert region and probably because of water cleanliness issues. That is how beer actually was first used because heat was used to make it and it was safe to drink. I do agree with you in that using the water/wine part as an excuse to drink is wrong. If something convicts you then you don't do it. My point was only that it doesn't make it right for someone to condemn someone for having 1 drink that has less alcohol in it than NyQuil but that same person could be overweight and piged out at the Golden Coral that day. I don't know how many churches I have visited that I have seen one of the ushers etc. In the parking lot smoking?? Sin is everywhere for sure. I firmly believe that if something convicts you, then don't do it. My grandfather was ( he died in 1983) and several uncles and cousins are hard line, old school Pentecostals that believe a woman should not cut her hair
Or wear pants, no makeup or jewelry, no movies or TV and no sports. That is their convictions. Do I agree?? no. But they also don't judge those who don't believe that way to. I understand your point completely because it is your conviction and I actually have concerns about drunks at games, but it is already happening at football games and as long as fraternities go to games, there will be some drunk students in the stands. Still to early to see if this even gets approval at football games yet, and fortunately there isn't much drinking if at all prior to baseball games.

dgoebel
02-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Preacher man is 5'11" 190lbs. A little over wait but no 300. :jester:

Did not mean to infer you were at all. I have preachers I have listened to that were. Sorry if I inferred you were. According to my BMI I am obese, even while wearing 34 jeans :confused013: doesn't count or figure that I lift weights and work out every day. Oh well.

preacher
02-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Did not mean to infer you were at all. I have preachers I have listened to that were. Sorry if I inferred you were. According to my BMI I am obese, even while wearing 34 jeans :confused013: doesn't count or figure that I lift weights and work out every day. Oh well.

You Stud

dgoebel
02-14-2014, 05:39 PM
You Stud

Yep. I am a legend in my own mind :laughing021: more like a DUD than a stud.

Burn the Horse
02-15-2014, 12:10 AM
Gentlemen while we all have our beliefs and opinions on the subject of alcohol, it is important to remember that this is a public forum. Let's try not to get personal while discussing this breaking news please.

thrl595
02-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Gentlemen while we all have our beliefs and opinions on the subject of alcohol, it is important to remember that this is a public forum. Let's try not to get personal while discussing this breaking news please.

Thank you.:eatdrink004:

preacher
02-15-2014, 10:39 AM

Who got personal? DG and I were just having fun in that last exchange.

Burn the Horse
02-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Just heading off a potential situation. Y'all have fun.

dgoebel
02-15-2014, 11:05 AM
I had no bad feelings at all. I respect preacher and enjoy his posts. There have many, many other posts here that should have been headed off that did get ugly though.

preacher
02-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Just heading off a potential situation. Y'all have fun.

Thanks. I think he knew I was having fun with him. He is correct though. Preachers should be held to a higher standard and gluttony in the pulpit is the number one sin in the church. I can say that because I am a preacher.

Drinking for a Christian should be like every other decision in our lives. It should be based off of the passage I used about things being permissible or profitable (1 Corinthians 10:23). As a preacher I have a different standard by God's Word placed on me (1 Timothy 3:1-7). No one reading my comments think that I am trying to place that standard on them (James 3:1). Pastors are not to consume at all. For others it says not to be filled with much wine (influenced). That leaves room for interpretation and goes back to permissible but not all things are profitable.

TUTrojan
02-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Does all this really belong on the Football message board?

trojanbrutha
02-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Does all this really belong on the Football message board?

No, but not many care where they post..."But, I bookmarked the football page...:sad010: " is the default answer...

Burn the Horse
02-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Moved to the Everything Else section.

Hemi Man
02-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Moved to the Everything Else section.

The beer was quite tasty. Cool and refreshing.

Possum
02-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Budweiser is disgusting...

They don't even have an option for us dark beer drinkers... Oh well, guess I'll have to have my beers before the game, like I normally do.

Burn the Horse
02-16-2014, 02:08 PM
It would make the most financial sense to offer a small number of beers with the most wide appeal. Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Light are the obvious choices.

I wouldn't expect to see dark beer sold, just not going to sell enough of it.

Hemi Man
02-16-2014, 04:11 PM

They don't even have an option for us dark beer drinkers... Oh well, guess I'll have to have my beers before the game, like I normally do.

That's a better a selection that most places. I'm happy with Rolling Rock and Stella. Bud light isn't too bad either.

TFan
02-16-2014, 08:00 PM

Original Bud is one of the few AB brews that I drink!! Must be the Beechwood aging???

You will see several AB products available at Troy Games. The local distributor, Horn Beverage is a HUGE supporter of TU and Troy Athletics. When IMG was involved, Coors was the "official" beer of IMG and Troy Athletics; Horn Beverage continued to support many, many events even tho' IMG/Coors was the "Official" beer. They are dedicated to local, community efforts and thank goodness Troy University is one of them!!

:thumb:

Possum
02-16-2014, 11:00 PM
Original Bud is one of the few AB brews that I drink!! Must be the Beechwood aging???

You will see several AB products available at Troy Games. The local distributor, Horn Beverage is a HUGE supporter of TU and Troy Athletics. When IMG was involved, Coors was the "official" beer of IMG and Troy Athletics; Horn Beverage continued to support many, many events even tho' IMG/Coors was the "Official" beer. They are dedicated to local, community efforts and thank goodness Troy University is one of them!!

Good deal.

dgoebel
02-17-2014, 08:53 AM

Is Horn the Old Montgomery Beverage that Sim Byrd was involved with? I know Montgomery Beverage and Sim were big supporters.