PDA

View Full Version : Dead Last Recruting Class in The Nation?

AirforceTrojan
02-09-2014, 07:04 PM
I just read CFN's rundown of all 128 2014 recruiting classes, are we were ranked DEAD LAST. Was our class really that bad? I know the numbers were low, but was the quality of those we recruited such that it warranted such a poor standing?

By the way, CFN is basically Fox Sports College Football site.

preacher
02-09-2014, 07:09 PM
I just read CFN's rundown of all 128 2014 recruiting classes, are we were ranked DEAD LAST. Was our class really that bad? I know the numbers were low, but was the quality of those we recruited such that it warranted such a poor standing?

Please read other post. Discussed in great depth. I don't think that this class is bad at all. Others will disagree with me but you make up your own mind. time will tell.

Chasin170
02-09-2014, 07:56 PM
I posted earlier on this and even found an additional (4th) 3 star (Bravard was a Rival 3 star)I hadn't seen.

Nobody on the scouting websites was motivated enough to review any (or their on) data bases???

Keep in mind some Belt schools have very active Scout sites and even one coach has a contract incentive tied to such recruiting ratings.No wonder they get a little extra mustard on their dog......he works them.

If Troy's fanship would be more active on these paid sites we would simply have a "higher" rating.Georgia Southern is a benefactor of this.

I think this is a really good mature class and am excited to get these guys competing

Trojans1andAll
02-09-2014, 09:53 PM
It's not about how some media website ranks the class, they aren't ranking them by how well/poorly this class meets the needs of the program, which is the most important thing.

thrl595
02-09-2014, 11:02 PM
It was a joke! DIII schools put more effort into recruiting.

TFan
02-09-2014, 11:27 PM
It was a joke! DIII schools put more effort into recruiting.

Could you share with us YOUR knowledge of the effort that the Troy staff put into this recruitment?? Trips taken, visits made, Fone calls, emails, meetings with prospects and families, campus visits etc???

Maybe, with some facts you can convince me of our program's lack of effort.

thrl595
02-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Could you share with us YOUR knowledge of the effort that the Troy staff put into this recruitment?? Trips taken, visits made, Fone calls, emails, meetings with prospects and families, campus visits etc???

You got any proof that they put forth any effort. Sure doesn't show up in the final product. When NMSU and Idaho have better recruiting classes, you need to change your strategy.

TFan
02-10-2014, 12:36 AM
You got any proof that they put forth any effort. Sure doesn't show up in the final product. When NMSU and Idaho have better recruiting classes, you need to change your strategy.

The final product of this effort is NOT recruiting class rankings on commercial sites that use boiler plate criteria to evaluate recruits.

Our staff identified key weaknesses in our game and targeted available prospects that might have an immediate impact on next years' peformance. To the extent that they are succesful or not remains to be seen.

To state that our staff did not put forth any effort demonstrates a lack of appreciation for the long hours, long trips and many conferences and meetings that were staged to meet our needs going forward. Yes, I personally know of the hours devoted by Trojan coaches, support staff, academic staff contributions of time and student Ambassador volunteers to cover the many facets of recruitment. I personally know of the summer clinics held by staff to attract high school talent to the Troy campus. I personally know the folks that make the long trips to Central and South Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, Kansas, California etc. They leave ther families for days, drive long distances and stay in reasonably priced quarters during their visits.

NCAA rules dicate that only Football coaches may have personal contact with limitations and restrictions of $$$ spent, time spent etc etc. This on top of Coaching, on top of mentoring and yes, on top of counseling and even following up on academics, problem behaviors etc. etc.

The proof of the final product (your words) of this recruitment is simply our W-L record for the next two years. But, to plainly state that no effort was made is just naive and factless. Grow up!

Buzz Lightyear
02-10-2014, 08:18 AM

No it is not that bad.......I really believe being dead last is a really good thing......and before you laugh I tell you why.....being 97-123 is nothing great except to be low but last.....motivates those......and "those" are not dead last......yes they are high light reals but I am REALLY excited about the QB position this year......and what is there on the shelf.....in several areas....the combo picks from Butler JUCO in D back area has trust and familiarity built in.....I have often wondered why you don't recruit several at a time except to think that you really don't want clicks coming in by their freindships etc.....but in an area that we were not strong its a good thing.......I really believe this classes contributions to the team will have a little of "Remember the Alamo"......"We were dead last remember".....NO overestimation of their skills etc........NO dead last is not bad when it actually is not true and the skills they have as a class fitting in to the WHAT we have on all ready on the shelf......We will go bowling this year.....and for the next couple of years the guys will enjoy each and every game they win just a little more.....KNOWING THEY ARE THE WORST........and the teams that lose to us will go away thinking that we must be worst plus.....
And lastly on this level a couple of good years makes all the difference in recruiting and perception.......GO TROY

redwaver
02-10-2014, 09:16 AM

Yep, would like to know that inside info as well! LB and the other coordinators aren't that dumb me thinks!

dgoebel
02-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Next season will tell. We did the same thing in 2012 to improve the D and that didn't work. Hopefully this works because we will have a big problem if it doesn't. I wish we had them for Spring but except for the two qbs and wr we don't. They will have to learn quick in fall camp.

TFan
02-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Next season will tell. We did the same thing in 2012 to improve the D and that didn't work. Hopefully this works because we will have a big problem if it doesn't. I wish we had them for Spring but except for the two qbs and wr we don't. They will have to learn quick in fall camp.

If they can tackle, they will be light year's ahead!!!

dgoebel
02-10-2014, 09:55 AM
If they can tackle, they will be light year's ahead!!!

Or cover, rush, and not bite on a pump fake :thumb:

thrl595
02-10-2014, 10:56 AM
The final product of this effort is NOT recruiting class rankings on commercial sites that use boiler plate criteria to evaluate recruits.

Our staff identified key weaknesses in our game and targeted available prospects that might have an immediate impact on next years' peformance. To the extent that they are succesful or not remains to be seen.

To state that our staff did not put forth any effort demonstrates a lack of appreciation for the long hours, long trips and many conferences and meetings that were staged to meet our needs going forward. Yes, I personally know of the hours devoted by Trojan coaches, support staff, academic staff contributions of time and student Ambassador volunteers to cover the many facets of recruitment. I personally know of the summer clinics held by staff to attract high school talent to the Troy campus. I personally know the folks that make the long trips to Central and South Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, Kansas, California etc. They leave ther families for days, drive long distances and stay in reasonably priced quarters during their visits.

NCAA rules dicate that only Football coaches may have personal contact with limitations and restrictions of $$$ spent, time spent etc etc. This on top of Coaching, on top of mentoring and yes, on top of counseling and even following up on academics, problem behaviors etc. etc.

The proof of the final product (your words) of this recruitment is simply our W-L record for the next two years. But, to plainly state that no effort was made is just naive and factless. Grow up!

Again, do we have any proof?

preacher
02-10-2014, 11:18 AM

We did not do the same thing. We got 3 defensive backs who started together off a top ranked defense in the one of most competitive juco leagues in the nation. We have never done that. We got the QB's off the #1, 2 teams nationally on the JUCO level. One has a 67-2 record dating back to high school. One put up unbelievable numbers and was QB on the national championship team. We have never done that. Did we go heavy in juco this year? Yes. Did we do the same thing in as 2012? No. For what our team needed we did a fantastic job in my opinion. The defensive backs have been coached by Dustin Landry before if I read that correctly. I think these guys are going to handle the learning curve and will raise the level of play on that side of the ball immediately.

dgoebel
02-10-2014, 11:26 AM
We did not do the same thing. We got 3 defensive backs who started together off a top ranked defense in the one of most competitive juco leagues in the nation. We have never done that. We got the QB's off the #1, 2 teams nationally on the JUCO level. One has a 67-2 record dating back to high school. One put up unbelievable numbers and was QB on the national championship team. We have never done that. Did we go heavy in juco this year? Yes. Did we do the same thing in as 2012? No. For what our team needed we did a fantastic job in my opinion. The defensive backs have been coached by Dustin Landry before if I read that correctly. I think these guys are going to handle the learning curve and will raise the level of play on that side of the ball immediately.

You are forgetting about 4 DL also because we can't go to Georgia with the ones we have. The QB's I understand because we only had two QB's. But to think this recruiting wasn't meant to shore up a terrible defense like after 2011 is not looking at the picture.

preacher
02-10-2014, 11:34 AM
You are forgetting about 4 DL also because we can't go to Georgia with the ones we have. The QB's I understand because we only had two QB's. But to think this recruiting wasn't meant to shore up a terrible defense like after 2011 is not looking at the picture.

I understand that and said we went heavy in JUCO, but to think that we used the exact same strategy in recruiting this years JUCO class is not looking at the big picture. I think we will probably move some kids around on the roster coming back also. Eli canton from the roster now looks like he is on the offensive side of the ball. Sometime I am thinking that Josh Anderson is going to have to get a look at the defensive side of the ball. He was an outstanding high school LB. Strong! As loaded as we are at tailback and the need we have on defense I think it would be foolish not to take a look at him on defense. But if he can still run the ball like in high school. Catch it out of the back field like in high school leave him on the offensive side. Who cares if he is as big as some of our d-line.

preacher
02-10-2014, 11:40 AM

The DL statement was like this...we have young talent coming back on d-line but I don't want to go into Georgia with an unproven DL. So 1. he recruited immediate impact guys with experience. 2. They will make the talented guys we have better. 3. We will have legitimate depth at DL. I saw nothing wrong with what he said and I am not worried about the guys we have now getting their feelings hurt. They know how their coach talks and knows what he meant. They also know that the best 4 each week coming out of practice get the start and that's how it should be.

dgoebel
02-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Josh might get a look at Jared Lees position. He would be brutal blocking and could carry the ball also. Could open a 3rd area of our run game.

dgoebel
02-10-2014, 11:43 AM
The DL statement was like this...we have young talent coming back on d-line but I don't want to go into Georgia with an unproven DL. So 1. he recruited immediate impact guys with experience. 2. They will make the talented guys we have better. 3. We will have legitimate depth at DL. I saw nothing wrong with what he said and I am not worried about the guys we have now getting their feelings hurt. They know how their coach talks and knows what he meant. They also know that the best 4 each week coming out of practice get the start and that's how it should be.

I hope it motivates our group also. The group we signed have to prove themselves also. I hope they come in in shape and not have a repeat of 2012. Really hoping they help. A pass rush would be nice to see Also.

preacher
02-10-2014, 11:52 AM
I hope it motivates our group also. The group we signed have to prove themselves also. I hope they come in in shape and not have a repeat of 2012. Really hoping they help. A pass rush would be nice to see Also.

There was an article I read that one of the linemen that year said he didn't really have contact with Troy defensive staff after signing day until he stepped on campus in the fall. Don't know the validity of that statement and could not find the article to post the link. If that happened then, I don't think Bolt will let that happen now. He is different. His eye is the major difference between the 2011 and 2013. I have a feeling that he has made himself clear on expectations and will follow up to make sure grades are made this spring and workouts are going on.

GoTroyGo1
02-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I was looking at Rivals and the class was rated last due to the fact we only signed 15. Those kids rated the usual 2 -3 stars on there. Some of the 2 and 3 star players on rivals were non rated on ESPN. I guess it really is subjective. Only signing 15 kids makes me worry about our depth though.

preacher
02-10-2014, 03:41 PM
I was looking at Rivals and the class was rated last due to the fact we only signed 15. Those kids rated the usual 2 -3 stars on there. Some of the 2 and 3 star players on rivals were non rated on ESPN. I guess it really is subjective. Only signing 15 kids makes me worry about our depth though.

Has to do with grey shirts and what we had on campus. The coaches said there was only one slot left they could fill if they wanted to and that they were evaluating who to fill it with. A lot of good kids don't get signed to the bigger schools. They fall through the gaps. So they go to a small program or to Junior College.

dgoebel
02-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Has to do with grey shirts and what we had on campus. The coaches said there was only one slot left they could fill if they wanted to and that they were evaluating who to fill it with. A lot of good kids don't get signed to the bigger schools. They fall through the gaps. So they go to a small program or to Junior College.

They usually go to juco because of grades and making a 700 on the SAT. I have been around high school ball here since 2005. Every player we had that went juco was because of poor grades or character issues...ie arrest or drugs. There are exceptions like a kid transferring out of a program but usually it is grades or character issues.

preacher
02-10-2014, 04:38 PM
They usually go to juco because of grades and making a 700 on the SAT. I have been around high school ball here since 2005. Every player we had that went juco was because of poor grades or character issues...ie arrest or drugs. There are exceptions like a kid transferring out of a program but usually it is grades or character issues.

Correct. Second chance guys. Not lacking in talent.

GoTroyGo1
02-10-2014, 04:38 PM

A lot of them are on their 3rd school when they get to Troy as well. Don't mind a few JUCO's but we have plenty of talented high school players within a 3 hr or so drive of us to make me wonder why we have to go out to Kansas and even California to get a player at all?

TroyFootball05
02-10-2014, 04:51 PM
A lot of them are on their 3rd school when they get to Troy as well. Don't mind a few JUCO's but we have plenty of talented high school players within a 3 hr or so drive of us to make me wonder why we have to go out to Kansas and even California to get a player at all?

High school kids can't always contribute immediately. That's why we recruit JUCOs. Alabama might not have any junior colleges worth looking at. This state is not known for JUCO talent as far as I know.

We can all debate what state we should be recruiting in (Alabama, Georgia (Atlanta), Florida (Tampa, Orlando, Ocala, Miami), Texas, etc. It seems like everyone has an area they swear needs to be heavily recruited. And we all happen to live in the areas we suggest. Sounds like the proximity effect to me.

dgoebel
02-10-2014, 04:55 PM
High school kids can't always contribute immediately. That's why we recruit JUCOs. Alabama might not have any junior colleges worth looking at. This state is not known for JUCO talent as far as I know.

We can all debate what state we should be recruiting in (Alabama, Georgia (Atlanta), Florida (Tampa, Orlando, Ocala, Miami), Texas, etc. It seems like everyone has an area they swear needs to be heavily recruited. And we all happen to live in the areas we suggest. Sounds like the proximity effect to me.

No gurantee that they can contribute immediately. We have not had great success with juco OL as a whole but other positions have been better. No matter what, they have to earn their spot.

Wasn't aware they played juco football in AL? :confused013:

TroyFootball05
02-10-2014, 04:59 PM
No gurantee that they can contribute immediately. We have not had great success with juco OL as a whole but other positions have been better. No matter what, they have to earn their spot.

Wasn't aware they played juco football in AL? :confused013:

I agree. And thats what I was getting at. I can't remember ever seeing a JUCO from Alabama.

dgoebel
02-10-2014, 05:27 PM
I agree. And thats what I was getting at. I can't remember ever seeing a JUCO from Alabama.

We had the president of CFCC, our junior college here, speak at my Rotary Club. I asked him with all the talent in Florida, why don't they play juco football. He informed us that there is a state law forbidding juco football in Florida. I surmise that AL might be the same.

redwaver
02-10-2014, 07:56 PM
We had the president of CFCC, our junior college here, speak at my Rotary Club. I asked him with all the talent in Florida, why don't they play juco football. He informed us that there is a state law forbidding juco football in Florida. I surmise that AL might be the same.

Yea, our Dear Leaders at FHSAA and our insightful legislature refuse to let JUCO's play football but they have no problem letting private schools recruit but forbid public school from doing the same thing. Our FHSAA blames our legislators! Oh well!

dgoebel
02-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Yea, our Dear Leaders at FHSAA and our insightful legislature refuse to let JUCO's play football but they have no problem letting private schools recruit but forbid public school from doing the same thing. Our FHSAA blames our legislators! Oh well!

Yep!!, it amazes me every year how many wealthy football players we have here in Ocala who can pay $9,000 a year to go to a Trinity Catholic :rollinglaugh: But they don't recruit :laughing021: they call it helping disadvantaged students, yet they don't have a single "disadvantaged" student who isn't an athlete, and a very good athlete at that.

Tums
02-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Yep!!, it amazes me every year how many wealthy football players we have here in Ocala who can pay $9,000 a year to go to a Trinity Catholic :rollinglaugh: But they don't recruit :laughing021: they call it helping disadvantaged students, yet they don't have a single "disadvantaged" student who isn't an athlete, and a very good athlete at that.

Say what you want. Personally this is how I went from a Public School that did not give a rip about me (other than football) to a Private school that educated me.

dgoebel
02-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Say what you want. Personally this is how I went from a Public School that did not give a rip about me (other than football) to a Private school that educated me.

I don't have a problem with private schools per say. If a parent wishes that for their kid and is willing to pay it, that is their right. What I have a problem with is them recruiting players who could not pay 1 week of tuition let alone 1 year and then paying their school. They could care less about the education. Then most of these private schools are in bigger metro areas, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, S. FL etc ( Even Trinity here, our county has over 300,000 and they send a van to pick up some "disadvantaged" players from two neighboring counties. They then play in a small classification against small rural high shools. Trinity made it to the state championship game in girls soccer. Their route to the playoffs was beating Keystone Heights ( small rural town), Santa Fe ( small rural town), and Orlando Bishop Moore ( recruiting private school). If they want to recruit make them only play other private schools, it isn't fair to have a team that picks it's players playing small towns who don't.

TFan
02-11-2014, 10:16 AM
When did fairness become a virtue?? I forgot all about that sometime in the 1960's????:confused-smiley-004

I don't have a problem with private schools per say. If a parent wishes that for their kid and is willing to pay it, that is their right. What I have a problem with is them recruiting players who could not pay 1 week of tuition let alone 1 year and then paying their school. They could care less about the education. Then most of these private schools are in bigger metro areas, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, S. FL etc ( Even Trinity here, our county has over 300,000 and they send a van to pick up some "disadvantaged" players from two neighboring counties. They then play in a small classification against small rural high shools. Trinity made it to the state championship game in girls soccer. Their route to the playoffs was beating Keystone Heights ( small rural town), Santa Fe ( small rural town), and Orlando Bishop Moore ( recruiting private school). If they want to recruit make them only play other private schools, it isn't fair to have a team that picks it's players playing small towns who don't.

dgoebel
02-11-2014, 10:28 AM
When did fairness become a virtue?? I forgot all about that sometime in the 1960's????:confused-smiley-004

60's?? I thought you were in your 20's when I met you :jester:

redwaver
02-11-2014, 04:28 PM

Yea, I've had that conversation with our FHSAA officials myself. A Monsegnior said Catholic schools didn't recruit athletes but rather students of faith. I just happen to know of a Catholic school in North Florida that had a complete new starting 5 on their Basketball team and most were not Catholic's in their faith and given their behavior not very religious! Maybe the Minsegnior will listen to his own confessions!

redwaver
02-11-2014, 04:35 PM

After spending 40 years in public education, I found that those who wanted an education usually got one. Maybe your school or community was different than my experiences in Florida and Alaska. Private schools play by different rules and can eliminate any student who doesn't meet their standards. Public schools can't so comparing their overall results is apples and oranges!

TFan
02-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Worst to FIRST!! It will make for a great story!!

2014 Sunbelt Champs!!!

Possum
02-11-2014, 07:31 PM

2014 Sunbelt Champs!!!

The Possum likes this.:wave:

preacher
02-11-2014, 08:23 PM

2014 Sunbelt Champs!!!

T- time baby!!!

Lego
02-11-2014, 08:40 PM

2014 Sunbelt Champs!!!

It would be a nice story especially in CLB's last year.

preacher
02-12-2014, 10:57 AM
It would be a nice story especially in CLB's last year.

What are you talking about? He turns it around like the coach at K State - go 12-0 in the regular season and hangs around as long as he wants, because he will be wining. It all started with these guys that yall say are horrible. :signs003:

dgoebel
02-12-2014, 11:03 AM
What are you talking about? He turns it around like the coach at K State - go 12-0 in the regular season and hangs around as long as he wants, because he will be wining. It all started with these guys that yall say are horrible. :signs003:

The same K-State coach who got beat by North Dakota State???

preacher
02-12-2014, 11:05 AM
The same K-State coach who got beat by North Dakota State???

Yes him. He was in the top five a couple of years ago. Gave him new life.

Buzz Lightyear
02-12-2014, 11:17 AM

Bowles Jacksonville makes most private schools look as if they are poverty stricken.....and yes they help disadvantaged kids too......,most are coming off of an All-State performance in their Sophmore year at public schools...but those kids need the 3 olympic diving pools and skull rowing opportunies too if they wish to be multi-sport phenomes

Buzz Lightyear
02-12-2014, 11:22 AM

Heck in the late 70's in Kansas we were pretty good till we played a private school from Witchita that was catholic....they just happened to have kids from Pennsylvania and Ohio who wanted to go to their high school...

dgoebel
02-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Bowles Jacksonville makes most private schools look as if they are poverty stricken.....and yes they help disadvantaged kids too......,most are coming off of an All-State performance in their Sophmore year at public schools...but those kids need the 3 olympic diving pools and skull rowing opportunies too if they wish to be multi-sport phenomes

$16,500 a year to go there and it's a boarding school. We beat them ( upset, we were picked to lose 35-0) first round of the playoffs in 1985. Dunnellon was the smallest 2A in the state and our town had 1,200 people. Bolles had only a couple of players from Jacksonville. Their DT who went to Georgia Tech was from Ocala and we played against him in youth league. Me and Larry Chesteen ( we both signed with Troy) wore him out and he quit in the 3rd quarter and left the game. Sorry Tfan, us Troy boys are tougher :thumb:

preacher
02-12-2014, 12:07 PM

Heck in the late 70's in Kansas we were pretty good till we played a private school from Witchita that was catholic....they just happened to have kids from Pennsylvania and Ohio who wanted to go to their high school...

I praise God that we live in a nation that allows for free commerce. That has found it's way into sports (for good or bad). When I was younger I had to work hard to be thankful for the blessings God had given me when it seemed like others got it better. That was my bad. Now I am thankful for opportunities others get. God has blessed me beyond measure and most of it has been from a strong will, ability to work hard , and people (communication) skills given to me by Him. Sour grapes takes your focus off of what you have. For the kids that do get the opportunity I am thankful. Now what can done by us individually to not make things equal (because that will never happen) but make things the best they can be and productive. There is something to be said about working through adversity and apparent unfairness that has made America a great nation along with the golden opportunities. It is a lot better than living in a nation that those opportunities are not available at all, because everything being on a level playing field means that those working hard to get ahead will some day have to be brought back down because they have gotten ahead.

dgoebel
02-12-2014, 12:24 PM
I praise God that we live in a nation that allows for free commerce. That has found it's way into sports (for good or bad). When I was younger I had to work hard to be thankful for the blessings God had given me when it seemed like others got it better. That was my bad. Now I am thankful for opportunities others get. God has blessed me beyond measure and most of it has been from a strong will, ability to work hard , and people (communication) skills given to me by Him. Sour grapes takes your focus off of what you have. For the kids that do get the opportunity I am thankful. Now what can done by us individually to not make things equal (because that will never happen) but make things the best they can be and productive. There is something to be said about working through adversity and apparent unfairness that has made America a great nation along with the golden opportunities. It is a lot better than living in a nation that those opportunities are not available at all, because everything being on a level playing field means that those working hard to get ahead will some day have to be brought back down because they have gotten ahead.

If your kid is a straight A student but doesn't play sports you pay the full tuition. If your kid is a c student and all-state you pay nothing. That is the message these schools send. Just don't give the helping disadvantaged students junk, I have friends that really make sacrifices to send their kids to private schools. If they could dunk a ball or run with one they would get a free ride. It's sad and pathetic.

flockofoscars
02-12-2014, 12:57 PM
AHHHHH this thread needs to dieeeeeeee

preacher
02-12-2014, 01:14 PM
If your kid is a straight A student but doesn't play sports you pay the full tuition. If your kid is a c student and all-state you pay nothing. That is the message these schools send. Just don't give the helping disadvantaged students junk, I have friends that really make sacrifices to send their kids to private schools. If they could dunk a ball or run with one they would get a free ride. It's sad and pathetic.

It's life. The athlete that can run a football and dunk a basketball brings money to the school. Private school is a business. Private schools with successful athletic programs are able to offer more to all their students at a lower tuition cost. Dollars and cents bottom line. The brain surgeon makes a small percentage annually of what pro athletes make. It's life. You take the good with the bad and America as it has been is better than anywhere else in the world to live. You kind of sound like an Obamaite. I respect the office but he has a different philosophy than I do for where the nation needs to go. Do you think Troy would have progressed as it has without giving football players who are not stellar students the opportunity to play for free. No. We would not have the buildings on campus we do now. We would not have the enrollment we do now. We would not be the university we are now if we had not been successful on the field. It has brought much publicity and support to TROY. I know during that growth process I did not have a scholarship and made a 3.8 GPA. It does not diminish my thankfulness for the time I had at TROY and the opportunity my degree afforded me. It's life.

dgoebel
02-12-2014, 01:54 PM
It's life. The athlete that can run a football and dunk a basketball brings money to the school. Private school is a business. Private schools with successful athletic programs are able to offer more to all their students at a lower tuition cost. Dollars and cents bottom line. The brain surgeon makes a small percentage annually of what pro athletes make. It's life. You take the good with the bad and America as it has been is better than anywhere else in the world to live. You kind of sound like an Obamaite. I respect the office but he has a different philosophy than I do for where the nation needs to go. Do you think Troy would have progressed as it has without giving football players who are not stellar students the opportunity to play for free. No. We would not have the buildings on campus we do now. We would not have the enrollment we do now. We would not be the university we are now if we had not been successful on the field. It has brought much publicity and support to TROY. I know during that growth process I did not have a scholarship and made a 3.8 GPA. It does not diminish my thankfulness for the time I had at TROY and the opportunity my degree afforded me. It's life.

Obamaite?? :rollinglaugh: I despise the man with every fiber in me. I am a TEA party member and a conservative republican. I played football at Troy and carried a 3.4 GPA. I also have children who are stellar students but have no interest in athletics. When they apply for scholarships they have different criteria for scholarships. You can have a 19 ACT and a 2.0 GPA and get a full ride..books, lab fees..everything if you are an athlete. My daughter had a 31 ACT, a IB diploma, and a 4.45 GPA. That earned her the Millenium Scholarship, which paid full tuition, $1350 of her room, and her meal plan. She auditioned for a band scholarship and does marching band also which awards her $875 a semester. I still have to pay for her books, and $900 for her room in Trojan Village.

Athletics brings in money for the school and I love Troy athletics. But the irony is these regular students are also the ones who later endow universities and give back also. There are two sides to this and I have been on one side and I have seen the other also. I will never agree with these private high schools having one set of rules and the public another and then be expected to compete. We will have to agree to disagree on this.

preacher
02-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Obamaite?? :rollinglaugh: I despise the man with every fiber in me. I am a TEA party member and a conservative republican. I played football at Troy and carried a 3.4 GPA. I also have children who are stellar students but have no interest in athletics. When they apply for scholarships they have different criteria for scholarships. You can have a 19 ACT and a 2.0 GPA and get a full ride..books, lab fees..everything if you are an athlete. My daughter had a 31 ACT, a IB diploma, and a 4.45 GPA. That earned her the Millenium Scholarship, which paid full tuition, $1350 of her room, and her meal plan. She auditioned for a band scholarship and does marching band also which awards her $875 a semester. I still have to pay for her books, and $900 for her room in Trojan Village.

Athletics brings in money for the school and I love Troy athletics. But the irony is these regular students are also the ones who later endow universities and give back also. There are two sides to this and I have been on one side and I have seen the other also. I will never agree with these private high schools having one set of rules and the public another and then be expected to compete. We will have to agree to disagree on this.

Agreed. There is too much on which we do agree.

dgoebel
02-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Agreed. There is too much on which we do agree.

We can agree that Troy University is a special place and the best college in the country. Love every minute I was at Troy...except football practice :jester:

TFan
02-12-2014, 07:44 PM

If a young man is an All-American Football Player in College, EVEN with a C- average, EVEN if he does not graduate, he stands a very good shot at a $1,000,000 per year contract immediately.

By the same token, a Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa type, with a Masters in HyperTheoreticalParaPhysioDynamicPharma.. you get the idea, may, just MAY get an offer to teach right out of college, at an entry level in the $30m range if he (she's) lucky. Think that hypereducated Summa Cum will ever see $1MM a year is his life??

Fair?? Our culture thinks so. Someone's footing the bill, and a very HIGH price, for those priorities. We, as a culture ADORE athletic acheivers, and will PAY mega $$ to attend, wear licensed apparel and shoes and eat and drink based testimonials by our heroes. WE support it hook, line and sinking wallet!

So what message does this suggest to those young athletes as they progress from Might Mite, to Little League to Jr High, to Sr High school athetics?? Parents push it, Principals push it, supporters and sponsors push it, public and private schools alike, push it. Scholarships pull it, Bowl games pull it, ALL Star games pull it through the College years, then there's the Combine and Draft, all a Siren song to excell, achieve, WIN and make the BIG $$$ in the BRIGHT LIghts!!.

This IS the system. Fair???

Enough of someone thinks so. Like a snowball rolling down hill, it just rolls, and rolls and picks up size and momentum.. and keeps rolling and growing. Now we are discussing compensating College Athletes, the next step.

Fair?? I dunno. It is what it is, with much support and hype at all levels of our culture. :angry013:<< (my rant for the month)

preacher
02-12-2014, 08:35 PM
If a young man is an All-American Football Player in College, EVEN with a C- average, EVEN if he does not graduate, he stands a very good shot at a $1,000,000 per year contract immediately.

By the same token, a Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa type, with a Masters in HyperTheoreticalParaPhysioDynamicPharma.. you get the idea, may, just MAY get an offer to teach right out of college, at an entry level in the $30m range if he (she's) lucky. Think that hypereducated Summa Cum will ever see $1MM a year is his life??

Fair?? Our culture thinks so. Someone's footing the bill, and a very HIGH price, for those priorities. We, as a culture ADORE athletic acheivers, and will PAY mega $$ to attend, wear licensed apparel and shoes and eat and drink based testimonials by our heroes. WE support it hook, line and sinking wallet!

So what message does this suggest to those young athletes as they progress from Might Mite, to Little League to Jr High, to Sr High school athetics?? Parents push it, Principals push it, supporters and sponsors push it, public and private schools alike, push it. Scholarships pull it, Bowl games pull it, ALL Star games pull it through the College years, then there's the Combine and Draft, all a Siren song to excell, achieve, WIN and make the BIG $$$ in the BRIGHT LIghts!!.

This IS the system. Fair???

Enough of someone thinks so. Like a snowball rolling down hill, it just rolls, and rolls and picks up size and momentum.. and keeps rolling and growing. Now we are discussing compensating College Athletes, the next step.

Fair?? I dunno. It is what it is, with much support and hype at all levels of our culture. :angry013:<< (my rant for the month)

I'm with you. The world has been messed up since Genesis 3.