PDA

View Full Version : Troy’s transfer QBs ready for competition, spring practice

TFan
02-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Coaches, players and fans know it, whether they chose to accept it or not: Corey Robinson and Deon Anthony are not coming back through the locker room door.
The quarterback duo led Troy’s offense the previous two seasons, but both have moved on to new challenges.

But a new pair of gunslingers is ready to battle it out for the right to replace the dynamic duo.

http://www.troymessenger.com/2014/02/07/troys-transfer-qbs-ready-for-competition-spring-practice/

TroyFootball05
02-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Some tidbits from the article that look promising:

Pruitt’s East Mississippi squad was crowned National Champions, while Iowa Western, Bravard’s team, finished second.

East Mississippi set a NJCAA record with 7,327 yards of total offense, and average of 610 yards per game, en route to the title.

Bravard compiled a 44-1 record as a starter in his high school career, and won a state championship during his senior campaign.

TroyFootball05
02-09-2014, 04:21 PM
After doing some digging, I found this:

Bravard has a 67-2 overall record as a quarterback between high school and junior college.

preacher
02-09-2014, 07:06 PM
After doing some digging, I found this:

Bravard has a 67-2 overall record as a quarterback between high school and junior college.

Sweet! Hey listen...Blakeney and Bolt can recruit. Period! They have proven that everywhere they have gone. You either can evaluate football talent or you can't.

I don't put much stock in these recruiting sites to get the whole picture. They are in the money making business. You have high profile kids and places and you have low profile kids and places. There are football players in both. The recruiting sites spend most of there time following high profile schools who spend most of there efforts focused on high profile kids because 1. they are good players 2. recruiting is the real post season money maker in college football. Look how big espn and these others media markets push certain athletes and bringing attention to certain schools.

Our problem has not been getting football talent it has been keeping it and developing it. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. I pray that is correcting itself.

thrl595
02-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Some tidbits from the article that look promising:

Pruitt’s East Mississippi squad was crowned National Champions, while Iowa Western, Bravard’s team, finished second.

East Mississippi set a NJCAA record with 7,327 yards of total offense, and average of 610 yards per game, en route to the title.

Bravard compiled a 44-1 record as a starter in his high school career, and won a state championship during his senior campaign.

EMCC's offense was ridiculous this year. Video game like stats.

redwaver
02-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Sweet! Hey listen...Blakeney and Bolt can recruit. Period! They have proven that everywhere they have gone. You either can evaluate football talent or you can't.

I don't put much stock in these recruiting sites to get the whole picture. They are in the money making business. You have high profile kids and places and you have low profile kids and places. There are football players in both. The recruiting sites spend most of there time following high profile schools who spend most of there efforts focused on high profile kids because 1. they are good players 2. recruiting is the real post season money maker in college football. Look how big espn and these others media markets push certain athletes and bringing attention to certain schools.

Our problem has not been getting football talent it has been keeping it and developing it. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. I pray that is correcting itself.

Agree, some of these folks that assign #'s to players ability are the same types who vote for the Hiesman players. Lers see, according to them the best player in the country has never been an interior lineman, offensively or defensively. Yea, really! I ignore them. The proof of our recruiting vs others will be decided on the field!!!

TroyFootball05
02-10-2014, 10:52 AM
One more Tidbit on Connor Bravard:

From His Bio:
First player in Iowa 4A (highest level in the state) to throw for over 2,000 yards and rush for over 1,000 yards in a season.

The majority of the spotlight is on Pruitt's mobility. Not much is being said about Bravard's mobility. The kid can run. We picked up not one, but two diamonds in the rough at QB, in my opinion. I said before that he has a 67-2 record since 9th grade. He doesn't know how to lose. I like that.

thrl595
02-10-2014, 10:54 AM

From His Bio:
First player in Iowa 4A (highest level in the state) to throw for over 2,000 yards and rush for over 1,000 yards in a season.

The majority of the spotlight is on Pruitt's mobility. Not much is being said about Bravard's mobility. The kid can run. We picked up not one, but two diamonds in the rough at QB, in my opinion. I said before that he has a 67-2 record since 9th grade. He doesn't know how to lose. I like that.

Gonna take more than a good QB to get us over the jump. I think the past two seasons have been prime examples.

dgoebel
02-10-2014, 11:21 AM

From His Bio:

Spring will tell a lot. Remember, he transferred because he wasn't playing at Northern Iowa.

TroyFootball05
02-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Spring will tell a lot. Remember, he transferred because he wasn't playing at Northern Iowa.

I agree, though he may have been in the wrong system though. Our system has
been very kind to nearly every QB that has come through here.

TroyFootball05
02-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Gonna take more than a good QB to get us over the jump. I think the past two seasons have been prime examples.

I agree, defense will be the deciding factor this season. I'm just not worried at all about QB play.

dgoebel
02-10-2014, 12:19 PM
I agree, defense will be the deciding factor this season. I'm just not worried at all about QB play.

I agree. I think we could be better there.

Troygrandfather
02-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Always remember when talking high school play, are you comparing Apples to Apples on classifications. A good QB can excel in 1-4 A but jump and difference in 5-7 A. Not downplaying anyone good athlete in the lower classifications, but look at the southeast and the big schools, Hoover, Gwinette , etc. what would record have been there. QB not a concern at all IMO even if we had not taken a JUCCO, in fact we offered the 2 there right out of high school, why were these 2 not taken out of high school. I think competition will push them all and the true leader will surface even as early as spring. I hope academics match all of their skill levels and hope with our defense enough competition will push others and leaders will rise up.

TroyFootball05
02-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Always remember when talking high school play, are you comparing Apples to Apples on classifications. A good QB can excel in 1-4 A but jump and difference in 5-7 A.

The quarterback referenced to 4A in this thread is Connor Bravard. In his state, 4A is the highest classification. There is no 5A.

TexasTrojan
02-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Coaches, players and fans know it, whether they chose to accept it or not: Corey Robinson and Deon Anthony are not coming back through the locker room door.
The quarterback duo led Troy’s offense the previous two seasons, but both have moved on to new challenges.

But a new pair of gunslingers is ready to battle it out for the right to replace the dynamic duo.

http://www.troymessenger.com/2014/02/07/troys-transfer-qbs-ready-for-competition-spring-practice/

Whats about Tidwell, Silvers and Harrison. Why bring in 2 more

preacher
02-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Whats about Tidwell, Silvers and Harrison. Why bring in 2 more

Because you get good athletes when they are on the table.

Did a little research because other than to make my point I do not care to know anything about Bama football.

They recruited a 5 star RB and a 4 star QB. They have 3 redshirt freshman and one junior coming back at QB. They have 5 freshman RB, 2 So returning, 1 Jr.

If I'm not mistaken a redshirt can go on Tidwell if he doesn't get the starting job with 2 left. We have an offense that is predicated on the play of the QB. We now have 4 that on paper can throw and run the ball. One will rise to the top or we may rotate again. It want be like Robinson and Deon. The skill set of each QB on the roster allows for the play book to be open. Why not recruit great athletes for depth at that position the way we play offense. I don't get all the whining about this class.

dgoebel
02-10-2014, 04:09 PM

Did a little research because other than to make my point I do not care to know anything about Bama football.

They recruited a 5 star RB and a 4 star QB. They have 3 redshirt freshman and one junior coming back at QB. They have 5 freshman RB, 2 So returning, 1 Jr.

If I'm not mistaken a redshirt can go on Tidwell if he doesn't get the starting job with 2 left. We have an offense that is predicated on the play of the QB. We now have 4 that on paper can throw and run the ball. One will rise to the top or we may rotate again. It want be like Robinson and Deon. The skill set of each QB on the roster allows for the play book to be open. Why not recruit great athletes for depth at that position the way we play offense. I don't get all the whining about this class.

Tidwell already redshirted, he will be a junior. I have a feeling if he isn't going to get playing time after spring, he could opt to transfer to a FCS to play right away. Silvers is an unknown. Who knows who is the best. Tidwell is actually the only one who has taken a snap in D1. Juco is not D1 so it will be interesting.

preacher
02-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Tidwell already redshirted, he will be a junior. I have a feeling if he isn't going to get playing time after spring, he could opt to transfer to a FCS to play right away. Silvers is an unknown. Who knows who is the best. Tidwell is actually the only one who has taken a snap in D1. Juco is not D1 so it will be interesting.

Tidwell is only a junior. He still has his redshirt if needed.

http://troytrojans.com/roster.aspx?path=football

dgoebel
02-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Tidwell is only a junior. He still has his redshirt if needed.

http://troytrojans.com/roster.aspx?path=football

He redshirted in 2011, 2012 he was a R-FR

preacher
02-10-2014, 04:14 PM
My bad. He is a redshirt Junior. They need to change it on the roster.

preacher
02-10-2014, 04:16 PM
He redshirted in 2011, 2012 he was a R-FR

Yeah he may be gone if he doesn't win the start. That stinks.

Troygrandfather
02-10-2014, 05:04 PM
I have a big concern that either Tidwell or Silvers could be gone and both having been a part of the system going on 2-3 years. I appreciate the hype of the 2 new transfers , however more impressed with Pruitt that Brevard no matter what record he had. Looks as though the team he came from was a big defensive team. On paper all 4 are athletic, I heard that Tidwell could graduate in December, if that happens may be playing against him I he does not get the start since he could transfer without going down a level. I think spring will play out the way it needs, but a lot more involved in the QB position than being athletic, film room, reading defense, being a leader on and off field, the one who can do all that should be #1.

dgoebel
02-10-2014, 05:30 PM
I have a big concern that either Tidwell or Silvers could be gone and both having been a part of the system going on 2-3 years. I appreciate the hype of the 2 new transfers , however more impressed with Pruitt that Brevard no matter what record he had. Looks as though the team he came from was a big defensive team. On paper all 4 are athletic, I heard that Tidwell could graduate in December, if that happens may be playing against him I he does not get the start since he could transfer without going down a level. I think spring will play out the way it needs, but a lot more involved in the QB position than being athletic, film room, reading defense, being a leader on and off field, the one who can do all that should be #1.

I hope that doesn't happen. Everything I have heard about Tidwell is positive. Leader, character, takes care of business on and off the field. He has done everything asked of him and never complained.

redwaver
02-10-2014, 07:44 PM

Silvers came with great credentials. Makes you wonder why he or Tidwell didn't fill the bill without going elsewhere. I admit, it seems to me that Tidwell was not built to being what the spread needs, passing skills, speed and quickness. Seems like he would make one heck of a tight prospect if they would work with him. Silvers? Never heard much about his progress, good or bad. Often wondered where he was in the plans and why you never heard anything about him. You have to think LB has his reasons.

Troygrandfather
02-10-2014, 08:07 PM
I am agree on some levels. However, not sure by them taking 2 transfer they are really saying they cannot step up to the void. After all, they went for a Deon type to help out with the offense. I am concern but am not at practices nor workouts (but do plan to come to most of the spring ones when passing through), how much they have invested in the 2 on scholarship already? Makes one wander were they developing or just engrossed with Corey and Deon they just let them do their own thing last season not working them any. I do know coaches or past coaches who have seen both Tidwell and Silvers play. Tidwell I know ran a spread offense and set records with passing at his school. The only difference I was told was that he had some plays designed under center when needed. I believe Silvers ran the spread too. Both come highly regarded and I know Tidwell had 2 other offers and the coach who recruited him is high on him even though he is no longer there which was Lindsey. I think spring will tell us more and maybe push them all. Silvers I think at an option of South Al also, maybe we have all jumped to conclusions on writing them off, I hope or they are at least given a fair shot.

GoTroyGo1
02-10-2014, 10:13 PM
No one recruited Corey or Levi and they left a pretty good legacy, maybe Brevard will do the same.

dgoebel
02-11-2014, 07:28 AM
Brevard transfered from Norther Iowa a FCS power and Levi played at Richmond a very good FCS team. They both were recruited. What I heard on Corey was the big teams didn't like his side arm delivery. But he was recruited by Troy, he didn't walk on or go juco.

Chasin170
02-11-2014, 07:54 AM

Schools denote RS in several different ways,Troy drops the the "R" or "RS" in the players So. year like a lot of other schools.You can always check their Bio to see if they ever were redshirted.

:eatdrink004:

preacher
02-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Schools denote RS in several different ways,Troy drops the the "R" or "RS" in the players So. year like a lot of other schools.You can always check their Bio to see if they ever were redshirted.

:eatdrink004:

:thumb:

I noticed that as I scrolled down further. :redface:

TexasTrojan
02-11-2014, 12:48 PM

Well I was excited to see Tidwell play after seeing him play last year. Great arm and it looks like he can run too. I would say QB is his postion to lose

Lego
02-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Well I was excited to see Tidwell play after seeing him play last year. Great arm and it looks like he can run too. I would say QB is his postion to lose

Silvers is exciting, Tidwell steady. Several on this thread have given the job to the JUCOS, well see.

TroyFootball05
02-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Silvers is exciting, Tidwell steady. Several on this thread have given the job to the JUCOS, well see.

I think they're all about equal right now. Pruitt, Connor, and Silvers certainly have the better accolades, but that won't mean anything when spring ball comes around.

Silvers got a raving review from ESPN.com, but so far we've only seen Tidwell in mop up duty. I wonder if the coaches are keeping him completely under wraps and were never going to burn his redshirt...Has anyone seen Silvers play during any of the practices?

dgoebel
02-11-2014, 02:32 PM
I think they're all about equal right now. Pruitt, Connor, and Silvers certainly have the better accolades, but that won't mean anything when spring ball comes around.

Silvers got a raving review from ESPN.com, but so far we've only seen Tidwell in mop up duty. I wonder if the coaches are keeping him completely under wraps and were never going to burn his redshirt...Has anyone seen Silvers play during any of the practices?

Everything being equal in talent then I would go with Silvers....I will take 4 years vs 2 any day. That is with all 4 being equal...spring will tell.