dgoebel
01-29-2014, 05:58 PM
www.money.cnn.com/2014/01/28/news/economy/college-football-union/index..html

This could get interesting

redwaver
01-29-2014, 08:48 PM
www.money.cnn.com/2014/01/28/news/economy/college-football-union/index..html

This could get interesting

I support the idea of athletes getting a monthly stipend to cover some additional cost and have some pocket money but I don't want a union anywhere near athletic programs because they become like an octopuses tenucles. I do think university presidents had better consider this issue because athletes bring in tones of money to a university. However, all athletes need to get the same amount.

TFan
01-29-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm guessing the NCAA will have the say-so over college administrators. Huge ramifications.

Trojans1andAll
01-29-2014, 11:16 PM
I'd support disbanding college football, or busting them all back down to club sports before a union gets involved.

dgoebel
01-30-2014, 07:40 AM
I support the idea of athletes getting a monthly stipend to cover some additional cost and have some pocket money but I don't want a union anywhere near athletic programs because they become like an octopuses tenucles. I do think university presidents had better consider this issue because athletes bring in tones of money to a university. However, all athletes need to get the same amount.

The stipend I don't agree with because I don't think an athlete is any different than any other student. How many students are working jobs to pay their way through college? How many are taking on loans? How many are at the D11 level who only get partial help? My daughter is attending Troy on the Millenium Scholarship which covers full tuition and room and board. She also earned a band scholarship for which she does marching band, concert band and has to rehears and go to lessons during the week. Even with all this scholarship it doesn't pay her lab fees, student fees, books and the $1,000 extra to stay in Trojan Village. She scored a 31 on her ACT, carried a 4.46 HS GPA, and graduated with a IB diploma. Does she and other students deserve spending money? Or do we only give it to football players? With some probably only scoring a 19 on the ACT or who scored a 16 and had to go Juco. Yes, there are smart athletes, we have some in football and our womens teams and baseball all carry tremendous GPA's. My point is every student at Troy or any other school should be treated the same, being an athlete does not mean you get special treatment.

redwaver
01-30-2014, 10:20 AM
The stipend I don't agree with because I don't think an athlete is any different than any other student. How many students are working jobs to pay their way through college? How many are taking on loans? How many are at the D11 level who only get partial help? My daughter is attending Troy on the Millenium Scholarship which covers full tuition and room and board. She also earned a band scholarship for which she does marching band, concert band and has to rehears and go to lessons during the week. Even with all this scholarship it doesn't pay her lab fees, student fees, books and the $1,000 extra to stay in Trojan Village. She scored a 31 on her ACT, carried a 4.46 HS GPA, and graduated with a IB diploma. Does she and other students deserve spending money? Or do we only give it to football players? With some probably only scoring a 19 on the ACT or who scored a 16 and had to go Juco. Yes, there are smart athletes, we have some in football and our womens teams and baseball all carry tremendous GPA's. My point is every student at Troy or any other school should be treated the same, being an athlete does not mean you get special treatment.

Won't get into a long discussion about this since it is conjecture but there is a ton of differences between what ALL athletes do financially for a university and what the average student does. A regular student CAN have a job for that extra money but athletes, with their training schedule, etc., just can't! There are other examples but not worth the time. What do you tell that athlete who wants a social life like other students, that you will use to make money off of, who comes from a background that cannot give him any financial support yet you plan to schedule their day in a way that an extra job is out of the question? I understand that a scholarship IS a job where your pay is a free education for your work but most scholarships doesn't bring in huge dollars for the labors of said schlorship reciepient like sports! It's debatable but both sides have points. JUST KEEP UNIONS AWAY!!!!!!

dgoebel
01-30-2014, 10:34 AM
Won't get into a long discussion about this since it is conjecture but there is a ton of differences between what ALL athletes do financially for a university and what the average student does. A regular student CAN have a job for that extra money but athletes, with their training schedule, etc., just can't! There are other examples but not worth the time. What do you tell that athlete who wants a social life like other students, that you will use to make money off of, who comes from a background that cannot give him any financial support yet you plan to schedule their day in a way that an extra job is out of the question? I understand that a scholarship IS a job where your pay is a free education for your work but most scholarships doesn't bring in huge dollars for the labors of said schlorship reciepient like sports! It's debatable but both sides have points. JUST KEEP UNIONS AWAY!!!!!!

It's a problem and I don't agree with the NCAA rule against having a job in season. I see why they put it in, but it hurts a lot of kids. This problem is much greater at the D11 and D111 level. I had many teammates who worked jobs during the winter quarter to pay for school. There are also many students who come from poorer back grounds that don't have money for extras. I do agree that athletes help generate money at some schools but they are getting 100% of their education paid for, get to play in front of thousands of fans! travel etc. The irony of this is that we say that athletes generate income for their school so thus are more important than the general students, but it is these same general students that the University will go to down the road asking for donations.

And I 150% agree that unions have no place in collegiate athletics???or anything else for that matter. They were started because of horrible, unsafe working conditions in coal mines and steel mills. Now they are 100% about greed.

TrojanFan2
01-30-2014, 04:33 PM
And I 150% agree that unions have no place in collegiate athletics???or anything else for that matter. They were started because of horrible, unsafe working conditions in coal mines and steel mills. Now they are 100% about greed.

Most people don't recognize that unions are big business too. They want members to pay dues and support their bureaucracy so they can make lots of money.

I do agree that if a video game uses the likeness of a college player or a school to sell its product then either the school or the player, or both, should be compensated

preacher
01-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Most people don't recognize that unions are big business too. They want members to pay dues and support their bureaucracy so they can make lots of money.

I do agree that if a video game uses the likeness of a college player or a school to sell its product then either the school or the player, or both, should be compensated

NCAA is making the money off of that game. If I were a lawyer I would use this to battle the NCAA. They make the killing off of everyone's resources.

TrojanFanatic
01-30-2014, 05:36 PM
NCAA is making the money off of that game. If I were a lawyer I would use this to battle the NCAA. They make the killing off of everyone's resources.

NCAA is no longer partnered with EA to make those games, '14 was the last one

redwaver
01-30-2014, 07:17 PM
It's a problem and I don't agree with the NCAA rule against having a job in season. I see why they put it in, but it hurts a lot of kids. This problem is much greater at the D11 and D111 level. I had many teammates who worked jobs during the winter quarter to pay for school. There are also many students who come from poorer back grounds that don't have money for extras. I do agree that athletes help generate money at some schools but they are getting 100% of their education paid for, get to play in front of thousands of fans! travel etc. The irony of this is that we say that athletes generate income for their school so thus are more important than the general students, but it is these same general students that the University will go to down the road asking for donations.

NOWHERE did I say or indicate that athletes were "more important " than any other student, scholarship or not. What I did say was their unique scholarship related activity created a different outcome for the university than those other students. They also have rules/requirements that other scholarship endowed students don't have. It's just apples and oranges, no negatives intended.

dgoebel
01-30-2014, 07:50 PM
NOWHERE did I say or indicate that athletes were "more important " than any other student, scholarship or not. What I did say was their unique scholarship related activity created a different outcome for the university than those other students. They also have rules/requirements that other scholarship endowed students don't have. It's just apples and oranges, no negatives intended.

My apology. Didn't mean to infer you said that but rather what message it would send to the general students. I know you and I know that is not what you would say or think. I think you would agree that if they start giving stipends that is the message that will be broadcast. It is a touchy subject as I have seen the side as an athlete and have seen the side as a parent of a non-athlete student.

Chasin170
01-30-2014, 07:57 PM
As long as college football is still played with only one ball on the field at the time I'm very much against additional compensation past cost of attendance.

You start letting agents dictate or EA et. al. cut royalty checks, the locker room will be tainted forever.

I think players should get consideration for the regulatory restrictions of working as well as future ills not foreseen from the physical nature of the sport.

However,to base any compensation for monies generated for the school or "worthiness" to team is a very slippery slope.

trojanbrutha
01-30-2014, 08:24 PM

Hey...back off...:taunt002: