PDA

View Full Version : Liberty

flockofoscars
01-28-2014, 01:27 PM
The SBC has been in talks with Liberty. Nothing even close to official because its just conversation. Would this be a good addition to the Sun Belt?

dgoebel
01-28-2014, 01:48 PM
The SBC has been in talks with Liberty. Nothing even close to official because its just conversation. Would this be a good addition to the Sun Belt?

Good facilities and pretty good sports program. Logistically it is far away but probably not worse than Texas St. And sure better than Idaho and New Mexico State. They could compete in all sports, no question.

preacher
01-28-2014, 02:53 PM

Great School! Large student body.

Trojan_Thunder
01-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Absolutey!!! I know some have issues because of their religious affiliation, but I say hogwash!! No one has a problem with Notre Dame or BYU!!!

TFan
01-28-2014, 04:30 PM
For us uninformed, freezing souls in Troy, where might Liberty be located???

dgoebel
01-28-2014, 04:34 PM

Lynchburg, VA

TROYGRAD04
01-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Its a good school - very well behaved students from my experience. Very respectful. They are also a pretty strong program with nice facilities. Their campus has grown a lot in the last 15 years or so. If they make the jump to FBS I think they could be competitve. Think Ohio/Buffalo/Tulsa; NOT UMass! So if they move up, i think they are a 4-6 win team for a few years but then i can see them being a regular 6-7 win team each year. Lot's of talent in Virginia.

Hector
01-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Absolutey!!! I know some have issues because of their religious affiliation, but I say hogwash!! No one has a problem with Notre Dame or BYU!!!

I don't understand. Why should "some" have an issue with their religious affiliation?

redwaver
01-28-2014, 10:20 PM
I don't understand. Why should "some" have an issue with their religious affiliation?

Prejudices!!!!

TFan
01-28-2014, 10:29 PM

Further uninformed...what IS Liberty's religious affiliation???:confused013:

Yarddog
01-28-2014, 11:19 PM
The home church of Liberty is Thomas Road Baptist Church. It was an independent church for many years but after the Southern Baptists made some changes in, I think the 1980s, they joined the Southern Baptist Convention.

I know a strikingly beautiful girl who went there. She was Prom Queen, cheerleader etc. in high school. After graduating from Liberty, she worked a s missionary.

thrl595
01-28-2014, 11:55 PM
Didn't the SBC and Liberty have dialogue about this before? Still think Lamar or Sam Houston St. makes more sense.

NWFLTrojan
01-29-2014, 12:44 AM

Founded by Jerry Falwell.

I despise Liberty because it was the only team to beat us my senior year. A missed a field goal as time expired kept us from being the first undefeated team in school history.

Possum
01-29-2014, 01:55 AM
Lynchburg, VA

I've got a distiller buddy/pin pal from there... It would be a nice excuse to go visit.

newnan trojan
01-29-2014, 03:55 AM
Hell no to liberty.

redwaver
01-29-2014, 08:10 AM
Hell no to liberty.

I think you mean "Hell no to Liberty"! The other is a sobering situation that we are headed toward much too fast lately!:wave::laughing021:

Spiritual_Trojan
01-29-2014, 10:08 AM

They are a private Christian school which holds to a conservative Biblical interpretation, the school itself is not directly connected with any specific denomination.

I've been following this topic on the SunBelt forums and have seen a lot of name calling and speculation but I've never seen any link to an actual new article, Liberty policy, or any kind of reliable source (or any source for that matter) that would make them a bad candidate.

TFan
01-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Founded by Jerry Falwell.

I despise Liberty because it was the only team to beat us my senior year. A missed a field goal as time expired kept us from being the first undefeated team in school history.

Revenge is sweet!

Navarre Trojan
01-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Whether or not you agree wth the religious platform or not, to each their own, I don't see ANY UPSIDE for the Sunbelt and member schools. What do they bring? No program history, no national (or regional for that matter) recognition, no winning traditions, no upside, IMO. Just going after #12 just to get to 12 is NUTS! That s OLD SUNBELT THINKING, Belt needs to concentrate on targeting the footprint with schools that help the conference and themselves. MUCH rather have JMU than the Falwell Ultra-Conservatives, IMO.

Just do not see ANY upside for the Belt by adding Liberty.

TFan
01-29-2014, 10:23 AM
I still like USM. We could rescue 'em out of the depths of cdoa and have a great rivalry with well-attended games!!

dgoebel
01-29-2014, 10:35 AM

Founded by Jerry Falwell. I have a friend here who is my chiropractor and he was the starting QB for Liberty in 1992 when they beat Troy. They also signed a girl from here that was the State of Florida 6A volleyball player of the year. They made the NCAA tourney in basketball also. I hate to say this but from top to bottom their sports program is ahead of ours right now, Football and baseball the only possible exceptions.

Navarre Trojan
01-29-2014, 10:35 AM
I still like USM. We could rescue 'em out of the depths of cdoa and have a great rivalry with well-attended games!!

With USM you would get SEVERAL "highly spirited" games. Troy, South, La-La, La-Mo to name 4, right off the bat. USM, drop NMSt and Idaho, concentrate on USM, Tulane, and one other, probably out of Texas - wish the would target UTSA, that would be awesome, IMO.

TFan
01-29-2014, 10:39 AM
GTD NOLA Trip every other year! Saw their almost-completed new stadium in Dec, nice.

With USM you would get SEVERAL "highly spirited" games. Troy, South, La-La, La-Mo to name 4, right off the bat. USM, drop NMSt and Idaho, concentrate on USM, Tulane, and one other, probably out of Texas - wish the would target UTSA, that would be awesome, IMO.

Navarre Trojan
01-29-2014, 10:45 AM
Founded by Jerry Falwell. I have a friend here who is my chiropractor and he was the starting QB for Liberty in 1992 when they beat Troy. They also signed a girl from here that was the State of Florida 6A volleyball player of the year. They made the NCAA tourney in basketball also. I hate to say this but from top to bottom their sports program is ahead of ours right now, Football and baseball the only possible exceptions.

Because they have one Central Fl volleyball player and a chiropractor that played Qb???? Come on now, better than our program? Please back away from the June Bugs your munching on, cause that's just crazy!

Liberty is in NO WAY ahead of Troy in terms of facilities, program, or recogniton. Please, please do not confuse their ability to pass the plate and raise money, to that of having D1 recognition, program status, and faclties. Whle we continue to struggle up the ladder, Liberty needs a STEP LADDER to get to level that Troy {and all other Sun Belt Members) are currently at.

Hemi Man
01-29-2014, 10:57 AM

I would trade Jax St and Liberty for Idaho and NMSU any day. That was Benson doing his old buddies a favor.

dgoebel
01-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Because they have one Central Fl volleyball player and a chiropractor that played Qb???? Come on now, better than our program? Please back away from the June Bugs your munching on, cause that's just crazy!

Liberty is in NO WAY ahead of Troy in terms of facilities, program, or recogniton. Please, please do not confuse their ability to pass the plate and raise money, to that of having D1 recognition, program status, and faclties. Whle we continue to struggle up the ladder, Liberty needs a STEP LADDER to get to level that Troy {and all other Sun Belt Members) are currently at.

Basketball is dragging us right now. If we get that turned around we are in good shape. 2013 we had only baseball and men's tennis with a winning record and football at 6-6. We have a lot of improvement to do. Never said they had better facilities but they have more teams with winning records than we do right now, that was the only point I was making. Here is to a much better 2014 in Troy Athletics.

Chasin170
01-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Liberty would be a great add IMO.Liberty is far more aligned culturally to the South than BYU would be and we would take the Cougars in a heartbeat.

After all the political smoke clears Liberty will bring a viable, COMMITTED program to the Belt.

redwaver
01-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Whether or not you agree wth the religious platform or not, to each their own, I don't see ANY UPSIDE for the Sunbelt and member schools. What do they bring? No program history, no national (or regional for that matter) recognition, no winning traditions, no upside, IMO. Just going after #12 just to get to 12 is NUTS! That s OLD SUNBELT THINKING, Belt needs to concentrate on targeting the footprint with schools that help the conference and themselves. MUCH rather have JMU than the Falwell Ultra-Conservatives, IMO.

Can't argue with the fact that they bring little history to the Belt but other than a big city affiliation, neither did FIU or FAU and what on earth did Ga St bring? Oh yea , Atlanta if that means much. Falwell and whether he is an ultra Conserative or a left leaning die hard Liberal means nothing to the Belt. Heck, what are the political/religious positions of our other members predidents? No idea because it's about the university not the president but I'll admit, I'm not sure they are our best choice!

redwaver
01-29-2014, 02:23 PM

I like this idea!

redwaver
01-29-2014, 02:24 PM
i would trade jax st and liberty for idaho and nmsu any day. That was benson doing his old buddies a favor.

amen!!!!

redwaver
01-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Liberty would be a great add IMO.Liberty is far more aligned culturally to the South than BYU would be and we would take the Cougars in a heartbeat.

After all the political smoke clears Liberty will bring a viable, COMMITTED program to the Belt.

Yep, not many folks would object to BYU or Notre Dame based on their religious leanings!

trojanbrutha
01-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Yep, not many folks would object to BYU or Notre Dame based on their religious leanings!

:laughing021:

Doug4Troy
02-04-2014, 10:43 PM

That's still a possibility as well... not sure how motivated JMU is on joining the Belt though. I believe Liberty would be much more likely to join if invited.

Doug4Troy
02-05-2014, 11:15 PM
Probably not likely to happen... but could the Belt get back another Kentucky team in a few years?

------------

Eastern begins conversation to move to FBS

"The conversation has started for Eastern to become a bowl-playing football member...

As for where Eastern is looking? [the AD's] presentation identified two specific conferences that Eastern would fit well in. The Sun Belt and the MAC..."

Complete story: http://www.easternprogress.com/2014/01/29/eastern-begins-conversation-to-move-to-fbs/

preacher
02-06-2014, 12:19 PM

Hey is this hate speech? LOL. Not very American to not give someone a chance because of their faith. I see no problem with Liberty joining.

dgoebel
02-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Hey is this hate speech? LOL. Not very American to not give someone a chance because of their faith. I see no problem with Liberty joining.

I see no problem with them either and they have better facilities than that stadium/roof at Eastern KY.

Sly Fox
02-09-2014, 07:00 PM
I'm glad to see you guys keeping an open mind. There is a significant difference between the caricature of Liberty that some suggest and what is actually in existence.

Let me make it simple for you, not only would we accept an invitation from the Sun Belt ... we'd do it instantly. Our chancellor has been given that ability by our board of regents in anticipation of any potential offer. With the possible exception of Jacksonville State, we are the only school begging to get into the league. We would love the opportunity to be part of this league on the rise.

preacher
02-09-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm glad to see you guys keeping an open mind. There is a significant difference between the caricature of Liberty that some suggest and what is actually in existence.

Let me make it simple for you, not only would we accept an invitation from the Sun Belt ... we'd do it instantly. Our chancellor has been given that ability by our board of regents in anticipation of any potential offer. With the possible exception of Jacksonville State, we are the only school begging to get into the league. We would love the opportunity to be part of this league on the rise.

I would love to have your school as a member.

thrl595
02-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Personally, I like Jimmy Swaggart better but...:eatdrink004:

Sly Fox
02-14-2014, 03:57 PM
From the Texas State Rivals guy:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/855/tx7b.jpg

jagd1305
02-17-2014, 10:17 PM
I don't have a problem with Liberty's religious background at all. I guess what makes me a bit cool towards their possible admission is that they are a young institution with no real history to their background like other candidates and that they would be the only private institution in what has been a traditionally public university conference. For me, it's just hard to relate to them as a possible conference member. Even if the Sunbelt were to admit a private university, I hope it would be one with a long history of athletic tradition. But realistically, I just don't want a new conference member who comes with an aluminum fan base like some of those we have sent on their way to CUSA. (And yes, I acknowledge that may not pertain to Liberty at all!) We're shopping for the last slot that we might have open for some time to come. I like our new additions, I just want that last slot to be a big hit too.

redwaver
02-17-2014, 11:21 PM
I don't have a problem with Liberty's religious background at all. I guess what makes me a bit cool towards their possible admission is that they are a young institution with no real history to their background like other candidates and that they would be the only private institution in what has been a traditionally public university conference. For me, it's just hard to relate to them as a possible conference member. Even if the Sunbelt were to admit a private university, I hope it would be one with a long history of athletic tradition. But realistically, I just don't want a new conference member who comes with an aluminum fan base like some of those we have sent on their way to CUSA. (And yes, I acknowledge that may not pertain to Liberty at all!) We're shopping for the last slot that we might have open for some time to come. I like our new additions, I just want that last slot to be a big hit too.

Maybe I'm wrong, won't be the first time but wasn't one or both of the South Florida schools private and new with no history?

jagd1305
02-17-2014, 11:36 PM
I believe you might be right. I could trade off the private university affiliation but the lack of tradition of those two programs I didn't care for. Their winning year(s) were nothing more than flash in the pan. It showed up glaringly in fan participation. I just don't want to trade one set of aluminum stands for another. No knock against Liberty. But I'm just not sold on them. I'm especially not sold on JMU and I'm pretty certain that they're not a good fit for the belt. I'm hoping that 12th member brings some wow factor with them is all.

TrojanEmpire
02-18-2014, 10:07 AM
I believe you might be right. I could trade off the private university affiliation but the lack of tradition of those two programs I didn't care for. Their winning year(s) were nothing more than flash in the pan. It showed up glaringly in fan participation. I just don't want to trade one set of aluminum stands for another. No knock against Liberty. But I'm just not sold on them. I'm especially not sold on JMU and I'm pretty certain that they're not a good fit for the belt. I'm hoping that 12th member brings some wow factor with them is all.

Just curious, who would realistically fit the bill as a school with some wow factor?

dgoebel
02-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Just curious, who would realistically fit the bill as a school with some wow factor?

Wisconsin at Whitewater would give us the WaW factor :laughing021:

preacher
02-18-2014, 12:45 PM

Lamar has great support for athletics but wow probably not.

Sly Fox
02-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Yeah, Lamar draws less than Liberty despite playing in a league where nearly every opponent is within reasonable driving distance. Clearly no wow factor from Beaumont.

If anything, Liberty should be able to draw fairly well in places like Alabama where we have fairly strong alumni bases and student enrollment.

And for the record, JMU would be a very nice get for the SBC. Strong academics and support for their athletic programs. I'm a huge Liberty fan and even I admit that James Madison makes a ton of sense. Of course, they have to want to come to the Belt. Therein lies the challenge for Benson and the presidents.

jagd1305
02-19-2014, 08:34 PM
JMU is coming across as a La. Tech personality type during this process. I think Benson and company should just move on to more willing candidates rather than JMU which shows no inclination for an invite.

Tums
02-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Just so everyone here knows Liberty had better attendance than GA Southern in 2013

Troy79
02-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Guys,

The way I see it, we really need to be looking for 3 teams to add to the Belt as NMSU and Idaho are only short term prospects. Once the West begins adding teams from FCS, they would be best suited to move back to a WAC footprint. We really need to be looking at the Southeastern part of the US to grow our conference.

My guess is that Benson would like Coastal Carolina (within half an hour of Myrtle Beach), to partner up with App State (still about a 5 hour drive) and could consider JMU, Liberty, Eastern Kentucky, Missouri State, UT-Chattanooga, as options.

The NCAA requires a decision by June 1, 2014, if we are to add a member(s) for the 2015 football season.

Go TROY!

RDA Trojan
02-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Guys,

The way I see it, we really need to be looking for 3 teams to add to the Belt as NMSU and Idaho are only short term prospects. Once the West begins adding teams from FCS, they would be best suited to move back to a WAC footprint. We really need to be looking at the Southeastern part of the US to grow our conference.

My guess is that Benson would like Coastal Carolina (within half an hour of Myrtle Beach), to partner up with App State (still about a 5 hour drive) and could consider JMU, Liberty, Eastern Kentucky, Missouri State, UT-Chattanooga, as options.

The NCAA requires a decision by June 1, 2014, if we are to add a member(s) for the 2015 football season.

Go TROY!

Would be a great road trip. We took our little one up there a few years ago in the fall, and did the whole Rock City/Ruby Falls thing. Stayed at the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel.