PDA

View Full Version : Al Pogue Hired

Tums
01-23-2014, 05:55 PM
http://www.wsfa.com/story/24533620/al-pogue-named-cornerbacks-coach-at-troy

TROY, AL (WSFA) -
Troy University has hired Alabama coaching veteran Al Pogue as its cornerbacks coach, head coach Larry Blakeney announced Thursday.

Pogue has spent the last three years at Auburn University and was most recently the university's director of high school relations. Before arriving at Auburn, Pogue spent 13 years as a high school coach in Alabama, including at Carver High School, St. Jude High School and Sidney Lanier High School.

TFan
01-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Insiders at the Field House tell me this is a wonderful "catch" for Troy. As others have noted, Al coaches corners, Dustin Landry "slides" to Safeties.

GO TROJANS!!!

trojanbrutha
01-23-2014, 09:17 PM
http://www.troytrojans.com/news/2014/1/23/FB_0123140935.aspx

newnan trojan
01-23-2014, 11:40 PM
This is an excellent hire IMO. Excellent

TUpimp
01-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Dustin Landry needs to slide his ass on out of here.

newnan trojan
01-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Dustin Landry needs to slide his ass on out of here.

Whys that?

dgoebel
01-24-2014, 01:55 PM
This is an excellent hire IMO. Excellent

Has an established relationship with HS coaches in Alabama. This is exactly what we need. This can only help with recruiting along with getting a quality coach.

TUpimp
01-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Whys that?

Did you just seriously ask me that question?

dgoebel
01-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Corners need improvement, no question, but safeties have been the biggest problem the last 3 years. Receivers getting wide open on post routes and TE in the seam falls on the safeties.

TroyFootball05
01-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Did you just seriously ask me that question?

I'm asking too. You can only do so much with the recruits that were here. At some point 5-8 corners who aren't over the top athletic don't cut it. The corners weren't as bad as the safeties though. With better safety play, we would have won the SBC.

Hemi Man
01-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Has an established relationship with HS coaches in Alabama. This is exactly what we need. This can only help with recruiting along with getting a quality coach.

Why would that matter if everyone is getting fired at the end of the 14 season?

dgoebel
01-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Why would that matter if everyone is getting fired at the end of the 14 season?

Can't say what happens at end of 14, but hopefully it helps us now.

TUpimp
01-24-2014, 03:55 PM
I'm asking too. You can only do so much with the recruits that were here. At some point 5-8 corners who aren't over the top athletic don't cut it. The corners weren't as bad as the safeties though. With better safety play, we would have won the SBC.

There was no improvement in our corners from week 1 to the end of the season. Chris Davis is our only 5' 8'' corner and yes he is god awful. Our starting safety was 1st team All-Sun Belt. Our corners were the problem not the safeties.

TroyFootball05
01-24-2014, 04:10 PM
There was no improvement in our corners from week 1 to the end of the season. Chris Davis is our only 5' 8'' corner and yes he is god awful. Our starting safety was 1st team All-Sun Belt. Our corners were the problem not the safeties.

We run three safeties, not one, and they bit on play action everytime. He was all-sunbelt because he was the only one making tackles. The other safeties were a huge problem, and mr all sunbelt let more than a few go over his head as well.

dgoebel
01-24-2014, 04:12 PM

Both need improvement but receivers getting wide open deep with no one around falls on the safety. Granted our corners got beat in man bad there still has to be over the top support. I hope we finally see defensive improvement in 2014.

TUpimp
01-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Both need improvement but receivers getting wide open deep with no one around falls on the safety. Granted our corners got beat in man bad there still has to be over the top support. I hope we finally see defensive improvement in 2014.

I agree that both need improvement. There is no help over the top in Man coverage. There is in zone coverage, in which we got ate up for yards in the middle of the field. The majority of the deep balls that were thrown on us were in Man coverage. Saying we would have won the Sun Belt if we had better safeties and the same corners is absurd. Let's just go with we would have won it with a better secondary.

dgoebel
01-24-2014, 04:50 PM
I agree that both need improvement. There is no help over the top in Man coverage. There is in zone coverage, in which we got ate up for yards in the middle of the field. The majority of the deep balls that were thrown on us were in Man coverage. Saying we would have won the Sun Belt if we had better safeties and the same corners is absurd. Let's just go with we would have won it with a better secondary.

Granted I was an offensive lineman at Troy, but the safeties have to be responsible for someone in man coverage? I 100% agree we need better secondary coverage and our non existent interior pash rush ( minus our DE's which were pretty good) needs improvement also. Opposing QB's had far to much time to throw.

TroyFootball05
01-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Granted I was an offensive lineman at Troy, but the safeties have to be responsible for someone in man coverage? I 100% agree we need better secondary coverage and our non existent interior pash rush ( minus our DE's which were pretty good) needs improvement also. Opposing QB's had far to much time to throw.

I thought #94 Gillespie did pretty well on the interior. He was being held most of the season.

dgoebel
01-24-2014, 05:29 PM
I thought #94 Gillespie did pretty well on the interior. He was being held most of the season.

He was the bright spot but others underperformed. I look for Gosha to be improved and Stadom will be a R-Fr and he is going to be really good at the end. We need better play out of the DT's on pass. They did a good job on the run.

Navarre Trojan
01-24-2014, 06:36 PM

How does this help us in recruiting in your area? As you have mentioned a few times on this board about recruiting Central Florida and south.

As for the hire, like I stated about the Bolt hire, no matter how good of a coach this guy is (not familiar with him) there is a reason why he has not coached in the last few years. Don't know what that is, might not be anything, but there is a reason.

I can only hope and IF I get a chance will tell him what Troy needs is someone who can teach kids to fricking tackle. We tackle in 13 many big plays don't happen. Instead we play "Rockem shoulder stickem" try to knock them down crap. We tackle we win, PERIOD. Well that and penalties (see lack of discipline n Websters).

TFan
01-24-2014, 06:43 PM
....I can only hope and IF I get a chance will tell him what Troy needs is someone who can teach kids to fricking tackle. We tackle in 13 many big plays don't happen. Instead we play "Rockem shoulder stickem" try to knock them down crap. We tackle we win, PERIOD. Well that and penalties (see lack of discipline n Websters).

Yeah, the basics have seemed to be a challenge these past few years. It's disheartening that our Trojans are the "Play of the Week" on National TV for miscues!!!

GO TROJANS!!

dgoebel
01-24-2014, 07:08 PM
I have seen clips of our Rugby team. Pretty darn good tacklers. Would like to see them on special teams

TFan
01-24-2014, 07:36 PM
I have seen clips of our Rugby team. Pretty darn good tacklers. Would like to see them on special teams

Now THAT'S a thought, and, as a club team, they're not even on scholarships?? :confused-smiley-004

Lego
01-24-2014, 08:58 PM
I can only hope and IF I get a chance will tell him what Troy needs is someone who can teach kids to fricking tackle. We tackle in 13 many big plays don't happen. Instead we play "Rockem shoulder stickem" try to knock them down crap. We tackle we win, PERIOD. Well that and penalties (see lack of discipline n Websters).

Yeah, the basics have seemed to be a challenge these past few years. It's disheartening that our Trojans are the "Play of the Week" on National TV for miscues!!!

GO TROJANS!!

Direction of , teaching of and correction of the fundamental need to be ensured from the top down. Epic fail in leadership of this subject the last three years.