PDA

View Full Version : Two commits over the weekend--1/19/2014

trojanbrutha
01-19-2014, 10:21 AM
WR Teddy Ruben (http://troy.scout.com/a.z?s=363&p=8&c=1&nid=7488066)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1781221/teddy-ruben

SDE Carnell Simon (http://247sports.com/Player/Carnell-Simon-27079)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/534191/carnell-simon

trojanbrutha
01-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Ruben! Ruben! Ruben! :happy110:

TFan
01-19-2014, 12:03 PM

The film shows very good lateral moves, good downfield vision and when he's not the playmaker, he finds someone to HIT! 4.4 in the 40 ain't bad either.

Looks like we have a punt/KO returner at the least!

GO TROJANS!

TFan
01-19-2014, 12:36 PM
Height 6' 4" Weight 256 lbs
Position - DE

40 yd 4.8 sec
100 m 11.6 sec
Vertical Leap 32"
Bench Press 440 lbs
Squat 485 lbs

Football: Georgia MaxPreps: 2011 GA Sack Leader (per strength of conference)

dgoebel
01-20-2014, 08:16 AM

We need a kick/punt returner desperately. My only concern is the teams he's playing on film?? Never seen such poor coverage, looked like a 2A high school. Hope he is the real deal, speed is there and he seems to sense the seam good. Welcome to Troy Rueben.

trojanbrutha
01-20-2014, 09:13 AM
We need a kick/punt returner desperately. My only concern is the teams he's playing on film?? Never seen such poor coverage, looked like a 2A high school. Hope he is the real deal, speed is there and he seems to sense the seam good. Welcome to Troy Rueben.

Corey threw 90+ TDs his senior year in HS, but he never did that at Troy. Does that mean he wasn't a good QB? My point is: give the young man a chance and see if the coach that recruited him was right or wrong.

TroyFootball05
01-20-2014, 10:01 AM
What we do on punt and kick returns will depend much more on the guys making holes. Our returners never even had a chance last season.

redwaver
01-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Corey threw 90+ TDs his senior year in HS, but he never did that at Troy. Does that mean he wasn't a good QB? My point is: give the young man a chance and see if the coach that recruited him was right or wrong.

I read his (DG) post 3 times. Don't see where he indicated he's not going to give the young man a chance. Maybe I missed it and you can point it out. He DID SAY the competition was weak. Fact! That always concerns me when I see statistics on players. They can be misleading but if the skills are there then he should perform at any level. This young man seems to have those skills! Just look at the defensive player yesterday for the Patriots. He played at USM (0-12)! Same with team stats. Just because statistics say your team is the nations #1 offensive or defensive team it doesn't mean no one is better in those areas than you. It means you are that good against the competition you play!:wave:

Troygrandfather
01-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Agree with this statement and some of the others, majority of the time we see a small glimpse of film where a player looks great but if you look again, you see that the team they are playing is a very weak team. That is highlight films in general, which I why there is always more to the story, such as: Games visited in person by a coach or GA to watch a player, Lots more game film than we ever see on the internet that is watch in great detail, Interviews of coaches that have watch these kids play, etc. Much more involved with recruiting and offering a kid than these small glimpse of film. QB are very common to only put out the BEST of their film, what you have to look at is their competition all season, for High School, just because you are great at QB, RB, WR at 4A , your competition level may be not that great, but look at the successful 6A players and their competition is it stronger, sometimes is sometimes not. Same as JUCO VS D1. JMO

trojanbrutha
01-20-2014, 10:55 AM
I read his (DG) post 3 times. Don't see where he indicated he's not going to give the young man a chance. Maybe I missed it and you can point it out. He DID SAY the competition was weak. Fact! That always concerns me when I see statistics on players. They can be misleading but if the skills are there then he should perform at any level. This young man seems to have those skills! Just look at the defensive player yesterday for the Patriots. He played at USM (0-12)! Same with team stats. Just because statistics say your team is the nations #1 offensive or defensive team it doesn't mean no one is better in those areas than you. It means you are that good against the competition you play!:wave:

Let me just state this for the record and then we can get back to the recruiting stuff. I'm not going to take this much time usually to go back over someone else's posts, but my interpretation of what I read is that: his competition sucked so he ain't that good. Thus, my comment. (Troy does recruit kids from 2A schools too, by the way.) If you didn't read it that way, no problem. We just see it differently. If dgoebel wants to correct me on my understanding of his statement, he's welcome to do so. It would be better received since it came from him.

I have no issues with dgoebel. I think his football IQ is relatively good. I take shots at him about juco players because he took a stance that is contrary to what I think on the subject, but I don't think any less of him because of that...dgoebel for president!*

*Of the Trojan band dads

dgoebel
01-20-2014, 11:45 AM
Let me just state this for the record and then we can get back to the recruiting stuff. I'm not going to take this much time usually to go back over someone else's posts, but my interpretation of what I read is that: his competition sucked so he ain't that good. Thus, my comment. (Troy does recruit kids from 2A schools too, by the way.) If you didn't read it that way, no problem. We just see it differently. If dgoebel wants to correct me on my understanding of his statement, he's welcome to do so. It would be better received since it came from him.

I have no issues with dgoebel. I think his football IQ is relatively good. I take shots at him about juco players because he took a stance that is contrary to what I think on the subject, but I don't think any less of him because of that...dgoebel for president!*

*Of the Trojan band dads

My only point was his tape showed returns against lousy coverage. I also stated he has speed and found the seams which in some instances a player either has or doesn't have and he looks to have it. He also gets vertical quick which I like, don't like seeing a lot of parallel running, he looks like he spots the seam and gets vertical quickly. Yes we recruit 2A and I played 2A in Florida when it only went to 5A. I have also sent tapes of players in 2A and had Troy say they were suspect of the competition so it is a concern. You can see talent regardless of competition but you can't tell what a player can or can't do against better competition. No HS ball or juco ball can replicate the speed of the game in D1. I also agree with Troyfootball05 in that if we don't change our special teams and get them to block, it won't matter if we have this kid, Leodis, Rocket Ishmael or anybody else back there. I get so tired of us fielding a KO on the 10 and then the returner getting his head taken off at the 15. Got to improve this. We have putting our offense in to many situations of first and 10 at the 15.

trojanbrutha
01-20-2014, 12:10 PM
My only point was his tape showed returns against lousy coverage. I also stated he has speed and found the seams which in some instances a player either has or doesn't have and he looks to have it. He also gets vertical quick which I like, don't like seeing a lot of parallel running, he looks like he spots the seam and gets vertical quickly. Yes we recruit 2A and I played 2A in Florida when it only went to 5A. I have also sent tapes of players in 2A and had Troy say they were suspect of the competition so it is a concern. You can see talent regardless of competition but you can't tell what a player can or can't do against better competition. No HS ball or juco ball can replicate the speed of the game in D1. I also agree with Troyfootball05 in that if we don't change our special teams and get them to block, it won't matter if we have this kid, Leodis, Rocket Ishmael or anybody else back there. I get so tired of us fielding a KO on the 10 and then the returner getting his head taken off at the 15. Got to improve this. We have putting our offense in to many situations of first and 10 at the 15.

The special teams blocking may well have been an issue, but my point still remains. A coach saw something that drove them to extend this kid an offer. Let's get him dressed out and see if he is able to duplicate those efforts for this team. Look at it this way, 6 minutes of exceptional highlight plays versus "inferior" competition is more than you get from some prospects because they haven't amassed that amount of "highlight-worthy" plays, regardless.

On the subject of returns, that was a sore spot. But, there were a couple of guys that have shown promise. I'll find the ST review that Jeremy wrote to re-emphasize my point. Now, back to recruiting. :thumb:

redwaver
01-20-2014, 12:32 PM

There you go TB! And explanation from Goebel himself, not some other fan who can read. Sorry I read your post and had a personal opinion. I'd swear I had read where you and a few others had done that often before to Goebel but like the previous post, I must be wrong! No my friend, I'm to d--n old to be told I can't respond to a never ending sarcastic attack on a former player, Troy graduate and dedicated fan by one or two who have all the answers. We have enough people from other universities who hate Troy on this site to nit pick to death one of our own. It's just every time he voices an opinion or observation one of a few crawl his arse and it goes back to HIS BELIEF that we need more high school players and we need to hit South Florida harder recruiting. Some here detest those opinions but I can't argue with either but if I did that's HIS opinion and only in government is it now considered incorrect to have opposing opinions! You, me, everyone has the right to disagree but it's with what tone that makes it good or bad reading! Heck, I agree with what you say occasionally.........then there are times.....oh well! No one here has been assigned The Great One! Apparently he lives in Washington but I will continue to read all post and when I think we are bludgering one of our own I might voice MY opinion and I don't need you to tell me it shouldn't come from me, see, it's MY opinion!:rolleyes04::eatdrink004:

trojanbrutha
01-20-2014, 12:54 PM
There you go TB! And explanation from Goebel himself, not some other fan who can read. Sorry I read your post and had a personal opinion. I'd swear I had read where you and a few others had done that often before to Goebel but like the previous post, I must be wrong! No my friend, I'm to d--n old to be told I can't respond to a never ending sarcastic attack on a former player, Troy graduate and dedicated fan by one or two who have all the answers. We have enough people from other universities who hate Troy on this site to nit pick to death one of our own. It's just every time he voices an opinion or observation one of a few crawl his arse and it goes back to HIS BELIEF that we need more high school players and we need to hit South Florida harder recruiting. Some here detest those opinions but I can't argue with either but if I did that's HIS opinion and only in government is it now considered incorrect to have opposing opinions! You, me, everyone has the right to disagree but it's with what tone that makes it good or bad reading! Heck, I agree with what you say occasionally.........then there are times.....oh well! No one here has been assigned The Great One! Apparently he lives in Washington but I will continue to read all post and when I think we are bludgering one of our own I might voice MY opinion and I don't need you to tell me it shouldn't come from me, see, it's MY opinion!:rolleyes04::eatdrink004:

As usual, people here do have an ever-so slight problem with taking things personally. I do not recall stating that you couldn't reply to or state your opinion on anything. dgoebel is a big boy and he doesn't need defending because he's not being attacked. As to your being too old, doesn't come into play, as far as I'm concerned. We were not discussing south FL,government, or the like. Just Teddy Ruben.

So, I have no problem with you having a voice because I can't hear over the interwebz. I'll respect your right to not agree with any cause I may champion as I hope you'll respect my ability to try to get clarification for an original poster on their point they're attempting to get across...you know, for clarity. Sarcasm and condescension are languages that I've learned to speak fluently over the net.

And as always, nothing personal...we're all Trojans around here. :thumb:

Hemi Man
01-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Is Goebel paying a retainer fee to Redwaver?

Did this guys go to our camp? If not we can't offer them.

Flaming someone for disagreeing with Dgoebel is exactly what you are preaching against.

All opinions are valid and carry the same weight. Whether you played at Troy or never stepped foot on campus you have the same right to your opinion on this board as everyone else.

dgoebel
01-20-2014, 01:22 PM

Flaming someone for disagreeing with Dgoebel is exactly what you are preaching against.

All opinions are valid and carry the same weight. Whether you played at Troy or never stepped foot on campus you have the same right to your opinion on this board as everyone else.

Redwaver is a very respected member of our T-Club and a very dedicated fan and supporter. I have the utmost respect for him and his time period at Troy that helped set the tradition at Troy. I also hold the same respect for all Troy fans, especially ones that I have met that have no ties to the University. They could very easily support Bama or Auburn but they choose to support Troy.

To much hatred on this board or it comes across as that. If all of us agreed on everything or excepted every thing would Troy continue to grow?? I don't think our AD agreed with how things were. Let's rally behind Troy and realize that we are all wanting the best for Troy. We don't agree on how that happens, but we all want the best. Go Trojans!!

dgoebel
01-20-2014, 01:25 PM

It seems the juco recruits are evaluated on film but a lot of our HS recruits we evaluate the camps. Camps are important but they are in shorts. No substitute for game film. Combination of both for sure I hope.

LB's twitter said big recruiting weekend. Did we have any HS recruits or was it only juco? Anyone know

trojanbrutha
01-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Redwaver is a very respected member of our T-Club and a very dedicated fan and supporter. I have the utmost respect for him and his time period at Troy that helped set the tradition at Troy. I also hold the same respect for all Troy fans, especially ones that I have met that have no ties to the University. They could very easily support Bama or Auburn but they choose to support Troy.

To much hatred on this board or it comes across as that. If all of us agreed on everything or excepted every thing would Troy continue to grow?? I don't think our AD agreed with how things were. Let's rally behind Troy and realize that we are all wanting the best for Troy. We don't agree on how that happens, but we all want the best. Go Trojans!!

I don't hate anyone. I don't agree with everyone, all the time and vice versa. Those things should not be confused. I, myself, don't take opposing views as such.

And, as always, "We are Trojans, one and all!" :thumb:

dgoebel
01-20-2014, 01:37 PM
I don't hate anyone. I don't agree with everyone, all the time and vice versa. Those things should not be confused. I, myself, don't take opposing views as such.

And, as always, "We are Trojans, one and all!" :thumb:

Trojans One and All :thumb: yes we are!!!

redwaver
01-20-2014, 02:03 PM
As usual, people here do have an ever-so slight problem with taking things personally. I do not recall stating that you couldn't reply to or state your opinion on anything. dgoebel is a big boy and he doesn't need defending because he's not being attacked. As to your being too old, doesn't come into play, as far as I'm concerned. We were not discussing south FL,government, or the like. Just Teddy Ruben.

So, I have no problem with you having a voice because I can't hear over the interwebz. I'll respect your right to not agree with any cause I may champion as I hope you'll respect my ability to try to get clarification for an original poster on their point they're attempting to get across...you know, for clarity. Sarcasm and condescension are languages that I've learned to speak fluently over the net.

And as always, nothing personal...we're all Trojans around here. :thumb:

No problem here. I don't try to defend Goebel, he's quiet capable of doing that himself. My only dog in this fight is I just hate seeing posters, including you, badgered over an opinion that others might disagree with. It got awful with the Rowell situation. Sometimes it goes waaaaaaay beyond disagreeing. We often go to sarcasm. That implies your opinion is less than mine yet who decides that. As to age, government and politics that was just me adding some humor even though true, to our exchange. I agree, since you don't go face to face debating, sarcasm has often become the tool of the internet. It makes a 5'2" 135 pound guy feel 6'6" 250! It was once said that God created man, Sam Colt made them equal. That can now be said about the internet! Ha!! We're all Trojans my friend! Peace! Go Trojans!

Hemi Man
01-20-2014, 02:27 PM

No problem here. I don't try to defend Goebel, he's quiet capable of doing that himself. My only dog in this fight is I just hate seeing posters, including you, badgered over an opinion that others might disagree with. It got awful with the Rowell situation. Sometimes it goes waaaaaaay beyond disagreeing. We often go to sarcasm. That implies your opinion is less than mine yet who decides that. As to age, government and politics that was just me adding some humor even though true, to our exchange. I agree, since you don't go face to face debating, sarcasm has often become the tool of the internet. It makes a 5'2" 135 pound guy feel 6'6" 250! It was once said that God created man, Sam Colt made them equal. That can now be said about the internet! Ha!! We're all Trojans my friend! Peace! Go Trojans!

My point is that as many times as DG states we need to recruit Florida some has the right to disagree that many times. We don't have to agree on everything to be friends it to even fight for the same cause. When people start taking personal shots, like with Rowell, and against players on here I'm more times than not going to defend those people. Criticize their playing and coaching all you want. Calling them thugs and threatening to put for sale signs in their yards are over the line.

redwaver
01-20-2014, 03:14 PM
My point is that as many times as DG states we need to recruit Florida some has the right to disagree that many times. We don't have to agree on everything to be friends it to even fight for the same cause. When people start taking personal shots, like with Rowell, and against players on here I'm more times than not going to defend those people. Criticize their playing and coaching all you want. Calling them thugs and threatening to put for sale signs in their yards are over the line.

I don't disagree that calling players and coaches names is off limits. To discuss their quality of play or coaching should not be as long as it's civil. I remember the vile comments about sitting vs standing at games, etc. and never understood the reason common sense couldn't rule. I just don't get why DG's ongoing feeling about recruiting in Florida warrant being badgered? Many have STRONG feelings about an issue. You supported your concept of keeping Coach Rowell far more doggedly than DG pushes recruiting Florida but that was absolutely your right to do. So I see it as if you can be adamant about wanting Coach Rowell retained, he or others, can blow their horn of commitment for their peeves long and as loud as THEY want. I agree, we all could state our opinion and let it go but most of us don't. We still hear about Coach Rowell right or wrong. In support of DG's opinion. Yesterday on the internet they listed the states with the largest amount of talent remaining available for recruiting and they were Texas, California, Florida and Georgia so not to go to these places is just plain dumb IF you need talent those states have. California, Texas and Florida was listed as states with the most high school kids capable of playing at Div1 at the beginning of the year. Speaks for itself. I don't care where we get kids from if they are the best available to us to fit our needs. I don't get hung up on states like there is something wrong about throwing your lure where the most fish are hanging out but this is just MY opinion!

trojanbrutha
01-20-2014, 03:37 PM
Can we get this thread moved to Everything Else because it is no longer a "recruiting" thread?

Hemi Man
01-20-2014, 03:53 PM
I don't disagree that calling players and coaches names is off limits. To discuss their quality of play or coaching should not be as long as it's civil. I remember the vile comments about sitting vs standing at games, etc. and never understood the reason common sense couldn't rule. I just don't get why DG's ongoing feeling about recruiting in Florida warrant being badgered? Many have STRONG feelings about an issue. You supported your concept of keeping Coach Rowell far more doggedly than DG pushes recruiting Florida but that was absolutely your right to do. So I see it as if you can be adamant about wanting Coach Rowell retained, he or others, can blow their horn of commitment for their peeves long and as loud as THEY want. I agree, we all could state our opinion and let it go but most of us don't. We still hear about Coach Rowell right or wrong. In support of DG's opinion. Yesterday on the internet they listed the states with the largest amount of talent remaining available for recruiting and they were Texas, California, Florida and Georgia so not to go to these places is just plain dumb IF you need talent those states have. California, Texas and Florida was listed as states with the most high school kids capable of playing at Div1 at the beginning of the year. Speaks for itself. I don't care where we get kids from if they are the best available to us to fit our needs. I don't get hung up on states like there is something wrong about throwing your lure where the most fish are hanging out but this is just MY opinion!

I took a beating on the Rowell stuff. Even though most of the time I wasn't defending him, but more shredding a light on what I think are the problems. That being the game of football had changed drastically in the past few years and we aren't as talented as past seasons. If Saban and Smart's defenses are being lot up by spread offenses that should speak volumes about where college football is today. Those that stated we would be instantly better when Bolt arrived want no part of the reality that the defense was worse.

There will always be disagreements on a message boards. Trying to determine tone of voice and intent on a message board, tweet, or text can lead to problems. I've been guilty of that myself.

redwaver
01-20-2014, 04:06 PM
I took a beating on the Rowell stuff. Even though most of the time I wasn't defending him, but more shredding a light on what I think are the problems. That being the game of football had changed drastically in the past few years and we aren't as talented as past seasons. If Saban and Smart's defenses are being lot up by spread offenses that should speak volumes about where college football is today. Those that stated we would be instantly better when Bolt arrived want no part of the reality that the defense was worse.

There will always be disagreements on a message boards. Trying to determine tone of voice and intent on a message board, tweet, or text can lead to problems. I've been guilty of that myself.

Haven't we all!

trojanbrutha
01-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Jeremy ‏@DEwiseTrojan

Just got off the phone with Barbour County's Emmanuel Thompson Jr. He confirms he has officially committed to Troy.

Jeremy ‏@DEwiseTrojan

Officially committed this weekend. The QB will play WR for Trojans; called playing WR "a dream"

trojanbrutha
01-20-2014, 07:24 PM
L1wkj0UCnRE

redwaver
01-20-2014, 10:40 PM

Wow! Have to guess who this was intended for but since you brought me up I will respond! Paying me a fee? Yep, I consider him a friend, that's the fee ...... Just like I do you. Never understood why you wouldn't support a friend in that situation nor why you would tell one to "shut up" at a ball game! Just my upbringing! Where did the idea that I had no respect for fans opinions who didn't "set foot on campus" come from? I never cease to be amazed!

trojanbrutha
01-20-2014, 10:45 PM
I give up...

flockofoscars
01-20-2014, 11:17 PM
I give up...

Is this recruit goimg to maily be defense? Maybe some wildcat? And ive learned to ignore the bickering from some of these fellow members....

trojanbrutha
01-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Is this recruit goimg to maily be defense? Maybe some wildcat? And ive learned to ignore the bickering from some of these fellow members....

From Jeremy's post, Thompson will be moving to WR. We do pretty good with the converted athletes at that position.

trojanbrutha
01-21-2014, 12:54 AM
http://www.dothaneagle.com/sports/high_school/article_7c9f7172-825c-11e3-b540-0019bb30f31a.html

Hemi Man
01-21-2014, 06:20 AM
Wow! Have to guess who this was intended for but since you brought me up I will respond! Paying me a fee? Yep, I consider him a friend, that's the fee ...... Just like I do you. Never understood why you wouldn't support a friend in that situation nor why you would tell one to "shut up" at a ball game! Just my upbringing! Where did the idea that I had no respect for fans opinions who didn't "set foot on campus" come from? I never cease to be amazed!

Did we not hash this out earlier yesterday? As for telling someone to shut up at a ballgame, I'm going to assume you are talking about Miss St when you threaten to put your hands on people. Actually the group that stood most of the entire game was Jadarius Garner's family. One of two games they were able to see him play in before his tragic passing recently. You spent an entire quarter screaming at people to sit down. All those people had to stand because everyone in front of them were standing. We also covered this incident in a previous thread a few months back. Everyone's opinion is valid here. Can't understand why you would take offense to that comment and try to twist it.

My apologies to Trojanbrutha and Flockofscars for going off topic again. I though we did this yesterday. Maybe it's Déjà Vu.

redwaver
01-21-2014, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=Hemi Man;255690]Did we not hash this out earlier yesterday? As for telling someone to shut up at a ballgame, I'm going to assume you are talking about Miss St when you threaten to put your hands on people. Actually the group that stood most of the entire game was Jadarius Garner's family. One of two games they were able to see him play in before his tragic passing recently. You spent an entire quarter screaming at people to sit down. All those people had to stand because everyone in front of them were standing. We also covered this incident in a previous thread a few months back. Everyone's opinion is valid here. Can't understand why you would take offense to that comment and try to twist it.

My apologies to Trojanbrutha and Flockofscars for going off topic again. I though we did this yesterday.

I won't even honor this with a response! To bring up that familys tragedy is terrible and your comments about me threatening anyone is just flat NOT TRUE! Frankly I'm surprised!

trojanbrutha
01-21-2014, 08:29 AM
PM is seemingly becoming apropos...

Hemi Man
01-21-2014, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=Hemi Man;255690]Did we not hash this out earlier yesterday? As for telling someone to shut up at a ballgame, I'm going to assume you are talking about Miss St when you threaten to put your hands on people. Actually the group that stood most of the entire game was Jadarius Garner's family. One of two games they were able to see him play in before his tragic passing recently. You spent an entire quarter screaming at people to sit down. All those people had to stand because everyone in front of them were standing. We also covered this incident in a previous thread a few months back. Everyone's opinion is valid here. Can't understand why you would take offense to that comment and try to twist it.

My apologies to Trojanbrutha and Flockofscars for going off topic again. I though we did this yesterday.

I won't even honor this with a response! To bring up that familys tragedy is terrible and your comments about me threatening anyone is just flat NOT TRUE! Frankly I'm surprised!

Take it how you like. I'm not going to demand that the people in front of me sit down. I can stand and will stand. You threatened to slap someone if they didn't sit down. Heard by over a dozen people between your seats and mine. I understand you had someone with you that was unable to stand and I hate that it happened. But standing happens at ballgames.

The retainer fee comment was meant as a joke.

If this needs to be discussed more we can do it without cluttering up a recruiting thread.