PDA

View Full Version : Bill Clark to Uab?

newnan trojan
01-13-2014, 05:48 PM
JSU's Clark: Report he's taken UAB job "false, totally false"

Monday morning, he (Clark) emphatically refuted the latest rumor on a popular Internet coaching website that says he is expected to take the job. He told The Star “that rumor today was false, totally false.”

Clark, in Indianapolis for the annual coaches convention, said he went so far to contact the owner of the Internet site that issued the report to complain.

“I was pretty upset this morning,” he said.

He spoke to his entire staff by conference call Monday morning to reassure them he hasn’t taken the job nor even met with the UAB athletics director. He is expected to meet with JSU athletics director Warren Koegel when he gets back to town.

trojanbrutha
01-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Yeah, we know that no coach has ever said that before...

newnan trojan
01-13-2014, 05:58 PM
Yeah, we know that no coach has ever said that before...

I know, I'm just really hoping he doesn't go there.

newnan trojan
01-13-2014, 06:00 PM
JSU was paying Clark 175k
Uab was playing McGee 550k

JSU is going to have to up the money a little for him to stay. That's a big pay increase at that level. If JSU could pay somewhere around 250k he might stick around.

If I were Clark I would stick around at JSU 1 more year and have another great season then bolt for a better program.

Uab is a risky school to get involved with.

Possum
01-13-2014, 06:01 PM
Ya, he could pull a little Nicky Satan... I mean Saban...

I hope he doesn't though... He needs to come to good ol' T-Roy...

newnan trojan
01-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Looks like Clark is headed to Uab. :censored:

Possum
01-20-2014, 07:15 AM
What a lying scum bag...

JonesOxygen
01-20-2014, 08:54 AM
He has not accepted the job yet. One person puts wrong info on twitter and the whole world jumps on the bandwagon

redwaver
01-20-2014, 10:17 AM
He has not accepted the job yet. One person puts wrong info on twitter and the whole world jumps on the bandwagon

True! Anyway, what's the issue if he DOES go to UAB other than he might have misled some folks? At that time he may not have decided to go. Many here want him at Troy so why not UAB wanting him? Ok, I understand. We hate them and they hate us! We all look to better ourselves professionally and if he feels that is a step up for him and his family so be it. "Lying scumbag"? Other than UAB and him, who would know that he lied? Just sayin'!

JonesOxygen
01-20-2014, 10:25 AM
True! Anyway, what's the issue if he DOES go to UAB other than he might have misled some folks? At that time he may not have decided to go. Many here want him at Troy so why not UAB wanting him? Ok, I understand. We hate them and they hate us! We all look to better ourselves professionally and if he feels that is a step up for him and his family so be it. "Lying scumbag"? Other than UAB and him, who would know that he lied? Just sayin'!

Let me set the record straight. As I have stated for years, I wanted Coach Clark as our DC during the Rowell years and then to be the next HC when LB retires. It's personal for me since Chuck Dunn is one of my closest friends and has been at South and now going to UAB which means Troy will never get Coach Clark and crew. I wish them well and hope this leads to bigger things for them sooner than later, I fear they will not have a good start but you never know.
So in short, is it official...NO. I hope he decides to stay at Jax state for another year but I feel like he is the next HC at UAB.

Burn the Horse
01-20-2014, 12:19 PM
I dont think this hire will do much for the Lousy Lizards. McGhee has come and gone and I suspect Clark will follow a similar stint in Birmingham.

No one can win at UAB, it isnt the Coach's fault intirely. The entire football program there is set up to fail, they don't even have control of an independent BOT. Bama is never going to allow UAB to become a threat, period...everyone knows that.

redwaver
01-20-2014, 12:52 PM
I dont think this hire will do much for the Lousy Lizards. McGhee has come and gone and I suspect Clark will follow a similar stint in Birmingham.

No one can win at UAB, it isnt the Coach's fault intirely. The entire football program there is set up to fail, they don't even have control of an independent BOT. Bama is never going to allow UAB to become a threat, period...everyone knows that.

You are correct, their biggest problem is Papa. Those Trustees in Tuscaloosa are never going to let them grow into a competitive outfit. That would interfere with Saban's elitist views.

TUTrojan
01-20-2014, 12:55 PM
Let me set the record straight. As I have stated for years, I wanted Coach Clark as our DC during the Rowell years and then to be the next HC when LB retires. It's personal for me since Chuck Dunn is one of my closest friends and has been at South and now going to UAB which means Troy will never get Coach Clark and crew. I wish them well and hope this leads to bigger things for them sooner than later, I fear they will not have a good start but you never know.
So in short, is it official...NO. I hope he decides to stay at Jax state for another year but I feel like he is the next HC at UAB.

I'm with you... I think we could have done some things to improve the staff and get a great succession plan in place. We got a short term band aid with a couple that will be put to pasture soon instead.

dgoebel
01-20-2014, 01:27 PM
They gave us a scare for sure. Clark is a winner, this changes the the UAB for sure. We still should beat them but he is a better coach than what they had.

trojanblood
01-20-2014, 01:35 PM
Just announced on WSFA news Clark to UAB

trojanbrutha
01-20-2014, 01:37 PM
SWmQbk5h86w

redwaver
01-20-2014, 01:41 PM
They gave us a scare for sure. Clark is a winner, this changes the the UAB for sure. We still should beat them but he is a better coach than what they had.

I sometimes think we passed up oportunities to upgrade our staff through the years when coaches came available. You have to give LB credit, he is loyal. That's not a bad thing but in tins sports game you might suffer some consequences.

Lego
01-20-2014, 03:46 PM
i sometimes think we passed up oportunities to upgrade our staff through the years when coaches came available.

ya think ?!!!?

Trojan_Thunder
01-20-2014, 04:47 PM
Ah, c'mon, three straight non winning seasons isn't indicative that Troy has had issues with coaching and/or recruiting. Just repeat after me - "everything is great!" Now, be quiet and pass the Kool-aid! Ha ha

Hemi Man
01-20-2014, 05:22 PM
I sometimes think we passed up oportunities to upgrade our staff through the years when coaches came available. You have to give LB credit, he is loyal. That's not a bad thing but in tins sports game you might suffer some consequences.

Can't upgrade if you aren't willing to spend the money.

redwaver
01-20-2014, 06:01 PM

My thought certainly considered the fact that we would do that. If the powers that be are not ready to pony up cash, they better hope LB stays forever because we won't ever get a quality coach for what we pay him.

redwaver
01-20-2014, 06:22 PM

My thought certainly considered the fact that we would do that. If the powers that be are not ready to pony up cash, they better hope LB stays forever because we won't ever get a quality coach for what we pay him. Larry has been good to us financially!

trojanbrutha
01-20-2014, 06:30 PM
My thought certainly considered the fact that we would do that. If the powers that be are not ready to pony up cash, they better hope LB stays forever because we won't ever get a quality coach for what we pay him. Larry has been good to us financially!

You can say that again...:laughing021:

Hemi Man
01-20-2014, 06:41 PM

Couldn't agree more!!

pelliott
01-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Big CLB fan here - just getting that out there

Seems a lot of people are ready to see Larry go - question is - are those people ready to get out their check book when the new regime rolls in

We'll see - but I agree 150% - CLB has been very good to us when it comes to money - Troy U has been on the best end of that deal for a # of years

Hemi Man
01-20-2014, 09:40 PM

Seems a lot of people are ready to see Larry go - question is - are those people ready to get out their check book when the new regime rolls in

We'll see - but I agree 150% - CLB has been very good to us when it comes to money - Troy U has been on the best end of that deal for a # of years

I totally agree with the entire post.

trojanbrutha
01-20-2014, 09:44 PM
I totally agree with the entire post.

So does our Dear Leader...

Lego
01-20-2014, 11:21 PM

Troy has money, it's whether or not they choose how, where, when and to whom they give it.

It's not about everyone writing checks, it's about the choices the folks at the top makes/made.

trojanbrutha
01-21-2014, 12:38 AM
Troy has money, it's whether or not they choose how, where, when and to whom they give it.

It's not about everyone writing checks, it's about the choices the folks at the top makes/made.

http://trojan.troy.edu/strategic-planning/documents/2010-15_SP-Yr3-2013-Apr-Jun.pdf

Section 1.7...some may be interested in Sec. 1.4.1, if you live in the Prattville area.

Hemi Man
01-21-2014, 06:09 AM

It's this mentality that will keep Troy from reaching what we all want it to become. We can't wait for others to write checks. We all have to do our part.

However, you are correct that there is money at Troy. It just rarely makes it's way down the hill to the athletic department.

redwaver
01-21-2014, 08:48 AM
It's this mentality that will keep Troy from reaching what we all want it to become. We can't wait for others to write checks. We all have to do our part.

However, you are correct that there is money at Troy. It just rarely makes it's way down the hill to the athletic department.

One would have to think, given the fact that schools in our conference less progressive than Troy, are out paying us, that this is a realistic fact! Sad! I've always thought that we spend a lot of money on this "International" concept that might go to other places but I'm not privy to all the do's and don'ts if that program.

Hemi Man
01-21-2014, 08:53 AM
One would have to think, given the fact that schools in our conference less progressive than Troy, are out paying us, that this is a realistic fact! Sad! I've always thought that we spend a lot of money on this "International" concept that might go to other places but I'm not privy to all the do's and don'ts if that program.

I totally agree!!! The more with less concept in athletics has served us well, but it has now become a liability.

redwaver
01-21-2014, 09:30 AM
I totally agree!!! The more with less concept in athletics has served us well, but it has now become a liability.

Wonder what it would take and by whom to redirect that commitment to one that better serves the more local fan base?

Hemi Man
01-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Wonder what it would take and by whom to redirect that commitment to one that better serves the more local fan base?

Not sure. I think John Hartwell is fighting daily to make sure we are fully staffed and up to the challenges that lot ahead. Don't get me wrong I like Dr Hawkins, but I think the micromanaging has had a negative effect on athletics. I believe he supports athletics wholly, but wants it done on a shoestring budget. Have you ever noticed how we have people filling multiple roles? That's a bad business model. All aspects of their jobs suffer because they can't focus 100% on any task. Will this change as long as Hawkins is on charge? I don't know the answer to that, but I hope it does. If not way end up too far behind to ever catch up.

Just my opinion though.

redwaver
01-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Not sure. I think John Hartwell is fighting daily to make sure we are fully staffed and up to the challenges that lot ahead. Don't get me wrong I like Dr Hawkins, but I think the micromanaging has had a negative effect on athletics. I believe he supports athletics wholly, but wants it done on a shoestring budget. Have you ever noticed how we have people filling multiple roles? That's a bad business model. All aspects of their jobs suffer because they can't focus 100% on any task. Will this change as long as Hawkins is on charge? I don't know the answer to that, but I hope it does. If not way end up too far behind to ever catch up.

Just my opinion though.

No, I've never been in a position to realistic know who does what and how that compares to other schools but I trust the opinions of those that are so located. Maybe John can get to Dr Hawkins inner conscious and maybe he will redirect some much needed funding. If not, at some point that becomes a detriment to our progress. HOWEVER "progress" can be looked at different ways by different people.

BlazerUnit
01-21-2014, 02:39 PM
I dont think this hire will do much for the Lousy Lizards. McGhee* has come and gone and I suspect Clark will follow a similar stint in Birmingham.

No one can win at UAB, it isnt the Coach's fault intirely.* The entire football program there is set up to fail, they don't even have control of an independent BOT. Bama is never going to allow UAB to become a threat, period...everyone knows that.

I dont think Clark ends up in Birmingham, he's smart enough to realize it would be at best a "stand still" scenario for his career. At worst though, it could ruin him, so I think he will stay away.

I too would like to see him as Troy's next head coach. We'll see how it goes I guess.

March on Bill.

I think more and more Trojans are hopping into the Clark wagon. I think he will get a serious look from Troy if in fact this is Larry's final season
http://csnbbs.com/thread-672001-post-10296859.html#pid10296859

(*spelling errors left intact)

newnan trojan
01-21-2014, 02:50 PM

Good luck.

TroyFootball05
01-21-2014, 03:01 PM
Everyone's asking the wrong questions. We should be asking who is UAB considering for HC in 2016 when UAB goes 6-18 over the next two years. I do think Clark will land on his feet after his brief stint with UAB. By now most realise its impossible to win at UAB and will give him the benefit of the doubt.

BlazerUnit, while we're reminiscing on old posts, I seem to remember you and all your blazer friends saying we stood no chance against McGee, both times. You were going to wipe the floor with us. I'll have those threads of delusion on speed dial when threads like "Bill Clark is going to stomp a mud hole in Troy. They don't know what's coming" begin to take form.

TFan
01-21-2014, 08:32 PM

Welcome baaaaaaaaack to Trojan Terrortory BU!!

FoulPolePhenom
01-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Will Cornelius Williams be going to UAB with Clark, if not let's get him to Troy ASAP!

JonesOxygen
01-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Will Cornelius Williams be going to UAB with Clark, if not let's get him to Troy ASAP!

He is now a UAB Too. All 3 Troy boys are wearing green

Schard
01-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Heard a rumor that Edenfield will be UAB's new OC... anyone else heard this?

TroyFootball05
01-23-2014, 02:02 PM

I read on your message board from a poster that there is a rumor he is being considered. A far cry from "will be." Unless of course, you have more information. Twitter?

flockofoscars
01-23-2014, 02:02 PM

errrrr I hope not

JonesOxygen
01-23-2014, 02:07 PM
heard a rumor that edenfield will be uab's new oc... Anyone else heard this?

100% false

TroyFootball05
01-23-2014, 02:08 PM
100% false

Verified or conjecture?

JonesOxygen
01-23-2014, 02:38 PM
Verified or conjecture?

Verified

newnan trojan
01-23-2014, 02:59 PM
Verified

I believe this man... He's closer than me to the AD.

If Uab was able to take him someone at Troy should be fired.

Hemi Man
01-23-2014, 03:04 PM
I believe this man... He's closer than me to the AD.

If Uab was able to take him someone at Troy should be fired.

Why?

Schard
01-23-2014, 03:39 PM
I read on your message board from a poster that there is a rumor he is being considered. A far cry from "will be." Unless of course, you have more information. Twitter?

I came hear to ask the closest thing to the horse's mouth... not the horse's other end.

newnan trojan
01-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Why?

Just do. I don't really have a reason.

Priam
01-24-2014, 12:50 PM

I wish!

Doubt it will happen though.

TroyFootball05
01-24-2014, 12:54 PM
I wish!

Doubt it will happen though.

Why? His offenses might not look as shiny and slick as you'd like them, but they're certainly effective. Very effective.

TFan
01-24-2014, 01:17 PM
Why? His offenses might not look as shiny and slick as you'd like them, but they're certainly effective. Very effective.

1) Too predictable.
2) Great show between the 20's. Red Zone O not too spiffy.
3) Change is not all bad. This year or next year. Which?

dgoebel
01-24-2014, 01:50 PM

If we can get a dual threat QB to run this offense we will see a lot of change. We were running it with a QB slower than his lineman. If you don't think a QB that can run doesn't matter in the spread, go ask Auburn, Oregon, Missouri, and Texas A&M. With two great rb's returning, if we get a QB who can run we just doubled our run threat and we can actually run read option. Don't care what people's opinions are, Deon Anthony should have been the starter the last two seasons.

TFan
01-24-2014, 02:04 PM
If we can get a dual threat QB to run this offense we will see a lot of change. 1) We were running it with a QB slower than his lineman. If you don't think a QB that can run doesn't matter in the spread, go ask Auburn, Oregon, Missouri, and Texas A&M. 2) With two great rb's returning, if we get a QB who can run we just doubled our run threat and we can actually run read option. 3) Don't care what people's opinions are, Deon Anthony should have been the starter the last two seasons.

Agree X 3!!!

#3 is a fourth reason WHY? in my post above. Thanks DG.

TroyFootball05
01-24-2014, 02:14 PM
I get all that trust me. But our offense was heads and tails better than the rest of the sunbelt. It wasn't even close. And that's even more telling when you consider that was done with an absolutely horrible TO ratio. You're rolling the dice with a new coordinator. You usually only do that when he sucks, not when he's the best in your conference by far. I'll take predictable as long as its effective anyday.

Scoring Offense vs Conference:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/818/team/offense/split07/category09/sort01.html

Hemi Man
01-24-2014, 02:14 PM
If we can get a dual threat QB to run this offense we will see a lot of change. We were running it with a QB slower than his lineman. If you don't think a QB that can run doesn't matter in the spread, go ask Auburn, Oregon, Missouri, and Texas A&M. With two great rb's returning, if we get a QB who can run we just doubled our run threat and we can actually run read option. Don't care what people's opinions are, Deon Anthony should have been the starter the last two seasons.

Yes I remember how awful we were with Levi Brown here. Of course Neal Brown was calling the plays then.

Of course there were many fussing as to why Levi wasn't starting all along, stating he was clearly the better passer, which is the first job of the quarterback. Seems all this comes and goes on cycles.

dgoebel
01-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Yes I remember how awful we were with Levi Brown here. Of course Neal Brown was calling the plays then.

1) Sun Belt was much weaker then. WKU was on a 19 game loosing streak, FIU and FAU were weak, North Texas was beyond horrible and ULL had no coach.

2) according to your boy Brown, Levi was only the 3rd best QB we had :confused013: just shows you that sometimes the starter shouldn't be the starter. Levi was hands down the best but wouldn't have gotten a shot without injuries.

Call up Malzahn and Chip Kelly and ask them about non Mobil QB's :rollinglaugh:

dgoebel
01-24-2014, 02:20 PM
I get all that trust me. But our offense was heads and tails better than the rest of the sunbelt. It wasn't even close. And that's even more telling when you consider that was done with an absolutely horrible TO ratio. You're rolling the dice with a new coordinator. You usually only do that when he sucks, not when he's the best in your conference by far. I'll take predictable as long as its effective anyday.

Scoring Offense vs Conference:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/818/team/offense/split07/category09/sort01.html

Our offense will be hands down better this season. Print it.

TroyFootball05
01-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Our offense will be hands down better this season. Print it.

I'm right there with you! I'm hitting print now! Did you know we only had two true returning starters at each position on offense last season? That was ridiculously low and we still topped the SBC in scoring offense by a wide margin. That, to include numerous penalties and TOs was a huge feat. Those two areas are one's I'll harp about that KE and Co. need to get fixed. This year we have an experienced line and tons of talent. We will pillage the SBC and massacre them if we can shore up even a little D and Special Teams.

FoulPolePhenom
01-24-2014, 02:26 PM
1) Sun Belt was much weaker then. WKU was on a 19 game loosing streak, FIU and FAU were weak, North Texas was beyond horrible and ULL had no coach.

2) according to your boy Brown, Levi was only the 3rd best QB we had :confused013: just shows you that sometimes the starter shouldn't be the starter. Levi was hands down the best but wouldn't have gotten a shot without injuries.

Chip Kelly has done just fine without a non-mobile QB, look at Nick Foles. You adjust your offense to who you have back there. Mike Leach has had some pretty good spread offenses without a mobile QB

dgoebel
01-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Chip Kelly has done just fine without a non-mobile QB, look at Nick Foles. Your adjust to your offense to who you have back there. Mike Leach has had some pretty good spread offenses without a mobile QB

True, but you don't run read option. Kelly didn't have the same success in the NFL yet. Hard to run that offense in the NFL as the season is longer and the QB can't take the hits. Also the lineman at Oregon were small to be able to play at that pace. Led to trouble against big, physical defenses in instances. Will be interesting to see what Leach does at WSU.

Hemi Man
01-24-2014, 02:31 PM

I don't have a boy Brown. Just googled Malzahn and Kelley's numbers. Apparently they are unlisted. Hold on and I will tweet them.

Chip Kelly has done just fine without a non-mobile QB, look at Nick Foles. Your adjust to your offense to who you have back there. Mike Leach has had some pretty good spread offenses without a mobile QB

Excellent points.

Hemi Man
01-24-2014, 02:33 PM
True, but you don't run read option. Kelly didn't have the same success in the NFL yet. Hard to run that offense in the NFL as the season is longer and the QB can't take the hits. Also the lineman at Oregon were small to be able to play at that pace. Led to trouble against big, physical defenses in instances. Will be interesting to see what Leach does at WSU.

You mean in the same manner that Deon was injured?

dgoebel
01-24-2014, 03:06 PM
You mean in the same manner that Deon was injured?

Any player can get hurt on any given play. Difference in getting hit in college and in the NFL. Ask Tebow. Guy was superman in college but got busted up in the NFL...broken ribs I believe.

Troygrandfather
01-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Yes and there is more of a risk to get that type of QB injured. I think most of us are looking for really a QB more in between these 2 to run the offense for Troy. A mobile QB is not always a Dual Threat QB or a Wildcat QB, a Mobile QB, is one who can scramble and still make the throw and can gain a few yards when needed. CR was not as Mobile as most, but will never take anything away from his ability to play QB and a great Passer. I think a Mobile Pocket Passer can blow some teams out and be very successful for Troy in this system, predictable or not. And use the Wildcat as needed but limited.

dgoebel
01-24-2014, 03:07 PM
I don't have a boy Brown. Just googled Malzahn and Kelley's numbers. Apparently they are unlisted. Hold on and I will tweet them.

Excellent points.

Leach runs his spread totally different. He had 340 lineman at Tech who could hold out the rush better. We have smaller lineman which lends itself to fast paced, read option etc.