PDA

View Full Version : Interesting recruiting article

Doug4Troy
01-12-2014, 02:31 PM
When coaches don't call: Standout players often not recruited by major college programs

By Daniel Boyette

"MADISON, Alabama – Bob Jones senior defensive lineman Julien Lewis is 6-foot-3 1/3 and weighs 270 pounds, with room to grow. He’s coming off an All-State senior season in which his team advanced to the quarterfinals in Alabama’s largest classification. So far, he’s yet to land the scholarship offer that he covets.

Oh, there have been offers. He has offers from the likes of Air Force and Western Kentucky, and several FCS schools. But not the offer he’s looking for..."

Complete story: http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/-7479225599831251727/when-coaches-dont-call-standout-players-holding-out-for-offers-from-major-programs/#incart_river_default#incart_2box

trojanbrutha
01-12-2014, 03:35 PM
That end was a contradiction of the beginning. A coach shouldn't tell a player that you are better than a certain school. Just encourage them to be the best they can be and help them as much as you can. Recruiting is subjective, at best. Each coach may see a different quality in a kid that they're looking for or the exact opposite...C'mon man!

Doug4Troy
01-12-2014, 06:16 PM
That end was a contradiction of the beginning. A coach shouldn't tell a player that you are better than a certain school. Just encourage them to be the best they can be and help them as much as you can. Recruiting is subjective, at best. Each coach may see a different quality in a kid that they're looking for or the exact opposite...C'mon man!

Although I am sure many high school coaches really care about their players, I think far too many are more interested in the PR the coaches themselves would garner by interest from "major conferences."

I agree with you brutha, this young man could have an opportunity to have football pay for his education... don't snub a school that has shown interest by stating "he's better than that."

dgoebel
01-12-2014, 07:39 PM
When coaches don't call: Standout players often not recruited by major college programs

By Daniel Boyette

"MADISON, Alabama – Bob Jones senior defensive lineman Julien Lewis is 6-foot-3 1/3 and weighs 270 pounds, with room to grow. He’s coming off an All-State senior season in which his team advanced to the quarterfinals in Alabama’s largest classification. So far, he’s yet to land the scholarship offer that he covets.

Oh, there have been offers. He has offers from the likes of Air Force and Western Kentucky, and several FCS schools. But not the offer he’s looking for..."

Complete story: http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/-7479225599831251727/when-coaches-dont-call-standout-players-holding-out-for-offers-from-major-programs/#incart_river_default#incart_2box

Question I have. 6"3 270 HS DT with an offer from Air Force.. He is qualified. Why in the world aren't we looking at this kid?????

TFan
01-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Question I have. 6"3 270 HS DT with an offer from Air Force.. He is qualified. Why in the world aren't we looking at this kid?????

Maybe we are. What do we know? Why should we at this point? Troy jumps in publicly and his stock goes up?? I dunno. You dunno.

trojanbrutha
01-12-2014, 09:37 PM

Evidently, from reading the article, it wouldn't matter because he's looking for an offer from a big conference...capisce?

preacher
01-21-2014, 11:51 PM

Two separate coaches. Rose at Bob Jones was the arrogant one. Cohu at Madison said the other.

dgoebel
01-22-2014, 07:54 AM

The other problem is these players get letters from the big schools with no thought of ever signing them. So set recruit thinks, they are writing me, they want me. I was so fortunate to have a high school coach who had my best interests at heart. At one point I thought FSU was interested in me, but my coach sat me down and said " you are a 6"1 OL who played in a option offense. You aren't tall enough to pass block in a pro style offense. He got Georgia Southern and Troy to look at me, and I realized he was right and I chose Troy". Best decision I ever made, Thank you Coach Kennedy

redwaver
01-22-2014, 08:31 AM

:wave::thumb:

SoFlaTrojan
01-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Jackbag coach. WKU is not good enough? If this kid goes nowhere, he can than his mentor.

Is Troy on this kid?