PDA

View Full Version : [Rumor] Vic Koenning as New Head Coach

faithintsu
01-08-2014, 12:48 PM
First off, I have zero first hand evidence, but lots of here-say evidence that Koenning and Blakeney are talking quite often this offseason about Vic becoming the head coach in 2015 with this being LB's last year. Vic and LB have been in contact regularly since he was at Troy 10 years ago and would like to see him take the reigns after he retires.

Again, this is all here-say at this point, but thinking about it logically if Vic wants head coaching experience to take the steps to get into a bigger program it could be done at Troy. Spending 4-5 years building our program would be a great catalyst into a HC in the ACC/Big 12. It would also be a pay increase for him (currently at $250K) with the ability to run the program he wants.

Anyone else hearing this at all?

Spiritual_Trojan
01-08-2014, 12:52 PM
I don't have any info this or any other rumors circulating around Troy. I just really hope that when coach Blakney retires that we don't end up like Arky St with a new head coach every year.

TUpimp
01-08-2014, 12:53 PM
I haven't heard that rumor, but I hope it happens! Not necessarily in 2015, but whenever Coach Blakeney retires.

Priam
01-08-2014, 01:21 PM
First off, I have zero first hand evidence, but lots of here-say evidence that Koenning and Blakeney are talking quite often this offseason about Vic becoming the head coach in 2015 with this being LB's last year. Vic and LB have been in contact regularly since he was at Troy 10 years ago and would like to see him take the reigns after he retires.

Again, this is all here-say at this point, but thinking about it logically if Vic wants head coaching experience to take the steps to get into a bigger program it could be done at Troy. Spending 4-5 years building our program would be a great catalyst into a HC in the ACC/Big 12. It would also be a pay increase for him (currently at $250K) with the ability to run the program he wants.

Anyone else hearing this at all?

This was the rumor last year as well. At the time, the rumor was that he would replace JR and be in line to become HC when LB was ready to fold his tent. The hurdle was that VK wanted the "HC-in-waiting" title, which I understand was not an option from the PTB.

Also, remember VK has head coaching experience, and he was not a success at it. He was at Wyoming for 3 seasons with a 5-29 record, (2000-2002).

I do think Vic is a good choice to be HC, if he leaves the Offense alone and gets a good OC in place.

Trojan_Thunder
01-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Wasn't Keonning the head coach at Wyoming before getting fired and coming to Troy?

Trojan_Thunder
01-08-2014, 01:26 PM
He was 5-29. What makes anyone think he would be successful at Troy?

Hemi Man
01-08-2014, 02:13 PM
This was the rumor last year as well. At the time, the rumor was that he would replace JR and be in line to become HC when LB was ready to fold his tent. The hurdle was that VK wanted the "HC-in-waiting" title, which I understand was not an option from the PTB.

Also, remember VK has head coaching experience, and he was not a success at it. He was at Wyoming for 3 seasons with a 5-29 record, (2000-2002).

I do think Vic is a good choice to be HC, if he leaves the Offense alone and gets a good OC in place.

Also known as option A from last year.

Vic as head coach. Rush as OC. Any number of young guys as DC that can learn under Vic.

dgoebel
01-08-2014, 05:13 PM
He was 5-29. What makes anyone think he would be successful at Troy?

There are great coaches that are great assistants but not head coach material. Case in point here.

trojanbrutha
01-08-2014, 05:50 PM
There are great coaches that are great assistants but not head coach material. Case in point here.

That was over a decade ago...you don't think he's learn anything in that time-frame?

TUpimp
01-09-2014, 09:55 AM
All I know is when Vic was here, our defense was giving up 15 points a game which ranked 8th in the nation in 2004. If he can do that for our defense as head coach, I say give him a contract!

TrojanEmpire
01-09-2014, 10:21 AM

Ellis Johnson is a great example as well

TUpimp
01-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Ellis Johnson? Auburn's defense was ranked 87th in total defense this year.

dgoebel
01-09-2014, 11:06 AM
That was over a decade ago...you don't think he's learn anything in that time-frame?

Head Coach is a different ball game with different responsobilities etc. Some coaches have it some don't. Some just make better coordinators. I have heard over and over again people say that Tony Franklin would not make a head coach as would Neal Brown. Why is that???

Hemi Man
01-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Head Coach is a different ball game with different responsobilities etc. Some coaches have it some don't. Some just make better coordinators. I have heard over and over again people say that Tony Franklin would not make a head coach as would Neal Brown. Why is that???

Franklin has no desire to be a head coach and unless Brown has grown up some his personality does not lend itself to being a head coach and leader of boys to men, in my opinion.

TrojanEmpire
01-10-2014, 09:56 AM

He has had quite a successful career as a DC at various places (Alabama and Mississippi State for example). One below average year out of 20+ years as a DC does not make him unsuccessful.

TroyFootball05
01-10-2014, 10:12 AM

He was 38th in scoring defense before the NCG. That's more important than yards. Pretty good for his first year in Auburn, in the SEC no less.

pelliott
01-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Pete Carroll was HC in New England and New York Jets - not so good at it
USC and Seattle - real good at it