PDA

View Full Version : Article on New Playoff in FBS

Doug4Troy
01-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Interview explains the system, the bowls involved, the rotation of the semi-final games, the championship game bidding, etc.

--------------------------------
Before BCS ends, the whens, wheres, whys of College Football Playoff

By Tony Barnhart

"NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. -- At the end of Monday night's 16th and final BCS championship game at the Rose Bowl, postseason college football as we have known it since 1998 will come to an end.

The BCS, which is essentially a two-team playoff, will be replaced by a four-team playoff simply known as the College Football Playoff. No need to get any more creative than that.

I'll warn you in advance that the CFP has a lot of moving parts. But what better time to break down those moving parts and to provide you with a primer of the things you need to know?

I had a chance to sit down with Bill Hancock, the executive director of the BCS and now the CFP, and ask him some key questions about the new system. His answers are in quotes. Mine are not. So here we go..."

Complete interview: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/tony-barnhart/24400200/before-bcs-ends-the-whens-wheres-and-whys-of-college-football-playoff

Possum
01-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Am I the only person that thinks this is going to be a cluster?

Doug4Troy
01-07-2014, 09:32 PM
I just love the excerpt below... all about taking care of the mighty SEC.

"So why did it take us so long to get to this?

SEC commissioner Mike Slive started thinking about a four-team playoff in 2004 when Auburn went undefeated, won the SEC championship but got shut out of the BCS title game in favor of Oklahoma and Southern California.

"I just felt that there should be a place in the postseason structure for an undefeated or one-loss champion from our conference," Slive said. "So over the long haul, it became clear to me that expanding the structure was going to serve us better."

Ironically, the BCS comes to an end with the SEC on a seven-game winning streak in championship games. An Auburn victory would give the SEC eight consecutive BCS championships and 10 out of the 16 that were played."

Tums
01-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Interview explains the system, the bowls involved, the rotation of the semi-final games, the championship game bidding, etc.

--------------------------------
Before BCS ends, the whens, wheres, whys of College Football Playoff

By Tony Barnhart

"NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. -- At the end of Monday night's 16th and final BCS championship game at the Rose Bowl, postseason college football as we have known it since 1998 will come to an end.

The BCS, which is essentially a two-team playoff, will be replaced by a four-team playoff simply known as the College Football Playoff. No need to get any more creative than that.

I'll warn you in advance that the CFP has a lot of moving parts. But what better time to break down those moving parts and to provide you with a primer of the things you need to know?

I had a chance to sit down with Bill Hancock, the executive director of the BCS and now the CFP, and ask him some key questions about the new system. His answers are in quotes. Mine are not. So here we go..."

Complete interview: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/tony-barnhart/24400200/before-bcs-ends-the-whens-wheres-and-whys-of-college-football-playoff

The playoff system for the last 5 years has been the Iron Bowl Champ VS ?????
Why would another playoff system be any better?

tntrojan
01-09-2014, 10:08 AM
The 16 team format (or is it 20 now) works at FCS. Scrap the almighty bowls which seem to be losing their luster (notice all the empty seats in the 2nd tier bowls this year?) and go to a true playoff format run by the NCAA. Why is the NCAA so scared of the dismantling the bowl system? I know, I know... money. But I predict the four team playoff will be expanded one day.

dgoebel
01-09-2014, 11:23 AM
The 16 team format (or is it 20 now) works at FCS. Scrap the almighty bowls which seem to be losing their luster (notice all the empty seats in the 2nd tier bowls this year?) and go to a true playoff format run by the NCAA. Why is the NCAA so scared of the dismantling the bowl system? I know, I know... money. But I predict the four team playoff will be expanded one day.

Where does that leave teams like Troy if this happens? Will there possibly be a return of the old 1-A 1-AA set up? More of a two tier FBS system??? Or will each conference get a representative team like FCS, and D11?

Pcbtrojan
01-09-2014, 07:09 PM
What it did do was group all of the other conferences to have a shot at one of the CFP Bowls. Other words the SunBelt now is just as attractive (other than # of bowl spots) as any other non large conference. Folks in the AAC or the MWC have got to be ticked off. In theory you could have a Sun Belt team in one of the six bowls if they are ranked ahead of any member of the other "group of five" conferences (MWC, AAC, CDOA, Belt, & MAC). The whole system goes by rankings and auto bids. So in the future every year somebody from one of the group of five will be going to one of the CFP games.