PDA

View Full Version : Sun Belt Commish Interview

Doug4Troy
01-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Q&A: Sun Belt Conference commissioner Karl Benson talks football, expansion

By Tommy Hicks

"MOBILE, Alabama - Sun Belt Commissioner Karl Benson was in Mobile Friday to take part in the GoDaddy Bowl's Mayor's Luncheon at the Mobile Convention Center. During his stay - he left after the luncheon to return to New Orleans where he was scheduled to catch a flight to Los Angeles, then drive to Pasadena for Monday night's BCS National Championship Game - Benson took the time to take part in a short Q&A with Alabama Media Group reporter Tommy Hicks.

Here are the highlights of that Q&A session..."

Interview: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/qa_sun_belt_conference_commiss.html

PensacolaTrojan
01-05-2014, 12:18 AM
It is interesting that he is going to miss one of only two Sunbelt games to attend the final BCS championship game. Perhaps other bowl chairman will be there for him to network but it sounds like an insult to our conference.
Perhaps someone can explain it to me?

tntrojan
01-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Pensacola,
That is the first thing that I thought. How do you blow off one of your school's bowl games to go to another bowl game?
Poor decision Mr. Benson. Perhaps he is networking for his next job?

PensacolaTrojan
01-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Just think, I am sitting in my living room watching the GoDaddy Bowl, and I am closer to the field than the commissioner of the Sunbelt.

Of course, most of America is closer to the field than the commissioner of the Sunbelt...

Perhaps we can take up a collection next year and buy him an All Access Pass, maybe then he will stay for the game.

tntrojan
01-06-2014, 12:19 PM
I follow the Sun Belt on twitter and when they started tweeting about the game last night (BTW congrats Arky State) I replied where's the commish? No response. Isn't Chancellor Jack on the Sun Belt board of directors? Perhaps a new commissioner is needed? An explanation is definitely needed. I usually don't get so fired up about this stuff, but it is pathetic that the league's commissioner felt it more important to be in California. Makes you wonder how hard he is working for the schools he represents.

redwaver
01-06-2014, 01:11 PM
I follow the Sun Belt on twitter and when they started tweeting about the game last night (BTW congrats Arky State) I replied where's the commish? No response. Isn't Chancellor Jack on the Sun Belt board of directors? Perhaps a new commissioner is needed? An explanation is definitely needed. I usually don't get so fired up about this stuff, but it is pathetic that the league's commissioner felt it more important to be in California. Makes you wonder how hard he is working for the schools he represents.

This says volumns about priorities and commitment!

Troy79
01-06-2014, 01:40 PM
This says volumns about priorities and commitment!

If I remember correctly, Wright Waters did the same thing the year Alabama and Texas were playing in the National Championship game four years ago. I believe there is a big pow wow with all the conference commisisoners at the NC game each year. Guess it was too inconvenient to fly out today for the game tonight.....

Go TROY!

Buzz Lightyear
01-06-2014, 01:51 PM
If I remember correctly, Wright Waters did the same thing the year Alabama and Texas were playing in the National Championship game four years ago. I believe there is a big pow wow with all the conference commisisoners at the NC game each year. Guess it was too inconvenient to fly out today for the game tonight.....

Go TROY!

Been A LOOOONNNNGGGG TIME since I got to make fun of Wright Waters but I must defend him on this one........

He actually thought he was at the Go Daddy. Com....in those days the GMAC Bowl.........just kept looking around wanting to know why all those people from Alabama and Texas were at a SBC bowl game??

TFan
01-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Been A LOOOONNNNGGGG TIME since I got to make fun of Wright Waters but I must defend him on this one........

He actually thought he was at the Go Daddy. Com....in those days the GMAC Bowl.........just kept looking around wanting to know why all those people from Alabama and Texas were at a SBC bowl game??

:rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh::laughing021: