PDA

View Full Version : Dimitri Miles charged with murder.

Trojan by Birth
12-15-2013, 08:39 PM
http://www.troymessenger.com/2013/12/15/police-seek-suspects-in-fatal-shooting/

This is horrible.

Dimitri Miles LB 6-1 210 Jr. Birmingham, Ala. / Erwin HS

troyjohn06
12-15-2013, 08:49 PM
prayers to victims family regardless of who did it

TFan
12-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Appears to me he was not on the 2013 roster anyway. The story will out...

From WSFA Release..

Troy University Athletic Director John Hartwell has released a statement regarding the arrest of Miles, "First and foremost, anytime there is a loss of life it is a tragic event and our thoughts and prayers go out to the victim and his family. Dimitri Miles was a walk-on student-athlete on our football team who was academically ineligible to compete in competition this past season, but practiced as a member of the scout team. His association with our football team and the Troy Athletic Department has been terminated as a result of these charges which are associated with an incident that occurred off campus.

According to Herb Reeves, Troy University Dean of Students, Miles has been immediately suspended from Troy

newnan trojan
12-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Wow....

Troytrojan2009
12-15-2013, 10:46 PM
This is horrible for all involed. Plus A black eye this program did not need.

Burn the Horse
12-16-2013, 08:46 AM
smh

Throw your's and the victim's lives away. Sad.

Jericho Johnny
12-16-2013, 01:01 PM
No press like bad press. I was told about this by a non-Trojan who read it on USA today. Things like this are just bad all around. :(

Troytrojan2009
12-16-2013, 04:49 PM
It was the top story on most of the local 10pm news last night on the Bham stations. Bham TV never covers Troy Football until now...

preacher
12-16-2013, 05:02 PM
I have got the flu and not thinking to clearly but doesn't the article say the man shot was not a resident of the apartment complex. Miles could have been interrupting a burglary and things went real bad. Just a thought. Or it could have been a crime of passion. Strange information in the article.

foreignpride
12-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Gossip from the locals. Miles was staying at friend's place for the holidays. McClendon was trying to rob the apartment, which is not unusual considering McClendon's history and his colorful Facebook account: https://www.facebook.com/marquise.mcclendon
Sad situation but it makes me angry that news even from UK are talking about this.

Tums
12-16-2013, 05:45 PM
It was the top story on most of the local 10pm news last night on the Bham stations. Bham TV never covers Troy Football until now...

Miles considered his home town the Birmingham area.

Seemed like a really good kid when he arrived at Troy. Some people just make bad decisions in life.

Prayers for all involved.

GoTroyGo1
12-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Miles considered his home town the Birmingham area.

Seemed like a really good kid when he arrived at Troy. Some people just make bad decisions in life.

Prayers for all involved.

I just hate the way these things are played out in the media. Oftentimes, we have " trial by media" nowadays. I just hope this gets settled fairly where it should be which is in a courtroom. In any case it is sad to see one young life gone and one possibly ruined for the rest of his life not to mention the loved ones.

preacher
12-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Gossip from the locals. Miles was staying at friend's place for the holidays. McClendon was trying to rob the apartment, which is not unusual considering McClendon's history and his colorful Facebook account: https://www.facebook.com/marquise.mcclendon
Sad situation but it makes me angry that news even from UK are talking about this.

Any gun violence is going to get press right now so no surprise on my part that it is getting wide coverage involving a football player.

If he was protecting the place or his friends the law in Alabama allows that correct?

redwaver
12-17-2013, 08:31 AM
I just hate the way these things are played out in the media. Oftentimes, we have " trial by media" nowadays. I just hope this gets settled fairly where it should be which is in a courtroom. In any case it is sad to see one young life gone and one possibly ruined for the rest of his life not to mention the loved ones.

Don't know the circumstances so I won't take a side yet but being in the school business for 39 years it's sad to see kids like him with opportunities laying in their laps throw it all away in 10 seconds!

trojanbrutha
12-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Gossip, rumors, and innuendo...innocent until proven guilty is quick to be thrown out of the window now-a-days. Once the investigation is concluded, we'll all know, but until then, let's reserve judgement.

FoulPolePhenom
12-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Gossip, rumors, and innuendo...innocent until proven guilty is quick to be thrown out of the window now-a-days. Once the investigation is concluded, we'll all know, but until then, let's reserve judgement.

Deleted

Troytrojan2009
12-17-2013, 10:47 AM
It made the Conan show...

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/12/late_night_funnyman_conan_obri.html#incart_river_d efault

Lego
12-17-2013, 11:00 AM

The Troy Messenger reported that Miles, of Lafayette, Ga., was charged with murder, receiving stolen property (second degree) and possession of marijuana following the shooting. He was being held in the Pike County Jail on $110,000 bond.

Miles apparently confessed Sunday afternoon to killing Marquise McLendon, 26, of Troy, during an attempted burglary at Trojan Crossing apartments.

Police say Miles used a stolen Glock 9mm to kill McLendon.

newnan trojan
12-17-2013, 12:02 PM
You can always count on Mtsu tho...

http://rssfeeds.usatoday.com/~r/UsatodaycomCollegeFootball-TopStories/~3/y3ibmjKXtRE/

redwaver
12-17-2013, 01:26 PM

I believe that's what almost everyone has indicated. No matter the fault, when you kill someone your life is changed ....forever.

TrojanPride87
12-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Link to the Conan show that made a joke about it. It makes us look bad.

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/12/late_night_funnyman_conan_obri.html

flockofoscars
12-17-2013, 03:55 PM
So was this self defense with the man robbing him inside his apartment? If so then the media has screwed him and Troy needs to allow him back on team if this is proven. SOOOO stupid this is being played out in the media when it may have been something any of us may have done. Makes me mad :angry013: Guilty until proven innocent!

Sunbelt City
12-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Link to the Conan show that made a joke about it. It makes us look bad.

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/12/late_night_funnyman_conan_obri.html

Wait, makes who look bad? A school that has little control of what ANY of its studentss do off campus or a TV show that uses a corpse as a prop in a monolgue?

JonesOxygen
12-17-2013, 04:13 PM
So was this self defense with the man robbing him inside his apartment? If so then the media has screwed him and Troy needs to allow him back on team if this is proven. SOOOO stupid this is being played out in the media when it may have been something any of us may have done. Makes me mad :angry013: Guilty until proven innocent!

This appears to be a little complicated. I'm with you on the self defense issue, what is the motive here? Miles is guilty of having a stolen gun and illegal drugs. He is also the one who called 911? Lots of un-answered questions.

flockofoscars
12-17-2013, 04:45 PM
This appears to be a little complicated. I'm with you on the self defense issue, what is the motive here? Miles is guilty of having a stolen gun and illegal drugs. He is also the one who called 911? Lots of un-answered questions.

Stolen gun and marijuana are so much different than murder it just feels like there is something missing in this story

Tums
12-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Stolen gun and marijuana are so much different than murder it just feels like there is something missing in this story
Below is what is now being reported after Miles Bonded out.
-------- Per WSFA------
Authorities say Miles was the person who called call police about the shooting and say he later confessed to the crime. Miles told investigators the gun he used to shoot McClendon was bought from a friend in Georgia. The gun had been previously reported as stolen.

A search of Miles' residence ended with the recovery of what is believed to be the murder weapon, a Glock 9mm with laser sight.

The search also led to the discovery of marijuana and digital scales for which Miles is also charged with possession of marijuana first degree.

preacher
12-17-2013, 05:43 PM

Who's apartment were they at. There may be the key. who was miles protecting.

Hemi Man
12-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Who's apartment were they at. There may be the key. who was miles protecting.

A neighbor? Possibly a teammate or another student that had already gone home for Christmas break? I've heard that there are a lot more break ins when the students are gone for scheduled breaks. Can't confirm that though. Just all speculation on my part.

TrojanFanatic
12-17-2013, 10:53 PM
A neighbor? Possibly a teammate or another student that had already gone home for Christmas break? I've heard that there are a lot more break ins when the students are gone for scheduled breaks. Can't confirm that though. Just all speculation on my part.

I can confirm, through time at Troy and issues that I heard from friends, that there are more break-ins during breaks because students will leave things hidden in their apartments that they wont need for a few weeks. I myself left something in my apartment over many breaks that I shouldn't have, but hindsight is 20/20 and I never had an incident personally.

preacher
12-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Below is what is now being reported after Miles Bonded out.
-------- Per WSFA------
Authorities say Miles was the person who called call police about the shooting and say he later confessed to the crime. Miles told investigators the gun he used to shoot McClendon was bought from a friend in Georgia. The gun had been previously reported as stolen.

A search of Miles' residence ended with the recovery of what is believed to be the murder weapon, a Glock 9mm with laser sight.

The search also led to the discovery of marijuana and digital scales for which Miles is also charged with possession of marijuana first degree.

Wow. That's possession with intent to sale correct? This isn't good. Pray this doesn't reach very far among his peers on the team. Wow.

Trojans1andAll
12-18-2013, 04:13 AM
Wow. That's possession with intent to sale correct? This isn't good. Pray this doesn't reach very far among his peers on the team. Wow.

I don't think the scale itself makes it "intention to sell", I think it still depends on the amount of the actual marijuana he had in the place.

preacher
12-18-2013, 10:16 AM
I don't think the scale itself makes it "intention to sell", I think it still depends on the amount of the actual marijuana he had in the place.

No I think possession first degree means intent to sale. Like murder in first degree mean intent - not a murder of rage for example.

Trojans1andAll
12-18-2013, 05:01 PM
No I think possession first degree means intent to sale. Like murder in first degree mean intent - not a murder of rage for example.

Unfortunately we'll find out.

Bubba the Trojan
12-18-2013, 09:39 PM

Having sat on a jury in a case where the charge was Possession 1st Degree, I can tell you this is correct. The charge includes components of quantity of drug (more than would be considered normal for personal use), as well as possession of items used in production and distribution, such as seeds, plants, black lights, scales, baggies etc. One isn't charged with Possession 1st Degree for having a fatty in his pocket.

preacher
12-18-2013, 11:27 PM
http://www.alabama-criminal-defense-law.com/possession.html

1st degree possession:
A) other than personal use - intent to sale
B) after a conviction of possession of 2nd degree- personal use
C) class C felony 1-10 years. Average sentence of 8.4 years.

TFan
12-19-2013, 09:52 AM
One published account stated that Miles was temproarily living in another persons Apt over the Holidays. What if none of the paraphernalia belonged to Miles??

Lots of loose ends yet to be revealed. The story will out.

cuke63
12-19-2013, 09:29 PM
http://rumson.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/former-football-star-brother-arrested-face-major-drugba5edb7d08

Maybe he was watching the moose's stash?