PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn lessons

Texas Trojan
12-14-2013, 10:42 PM
As a Troy fan living in Texas, I am struck by similarities in what has recently gone on at UT and what may take shape at Troy in a year or so.

Texas alumni, unhappy that their once-proud program has fallen on less successful times, decide that their long-time coach - the same coach that brought the program from ruin to a title - is the problem. Admittedly, there is some truth in that - Mack Brown ran the program and was responsible for some lax recruiting. But as the alumni grew more and more discontented, cries for change grew louder and more frenzied. Demands for his resignation, retirement or ouster were heard daily. They met with Nick Saban's agent nearly a year ago on the possibility that Mack would be gone. Now with Saban at Alabama for good and Mack Brown out, they can't help but look like they will settle for the next one in line.

Troy fans on this site have regularly called for Larry Blakeney's head, made a list of possible replacements, and accused him of a lack of passion and a lack of control in his staff and over his players. Just like UT fans got tired of playing second fiddle in the state to A&M, some of us have gotten impatient with not being top-shelf or looked at as up-and-comers.

Now Texas is wearing egg on its collective faces for romancing a coach without having an opening and treating a revered coach like dirt. WE HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL about how the end of Blakeney's career is treated - because the next coach will take notes on how someone like Blakeney is allowed to leave - sent out with reverence and respect, or put on the curb like trash. That kind of thing indicates what kind of program you have.

I don't post here much, because with the distance I can't add too much of value. But I read, and I love the Trojans. I'm one of those fans that scans the internet for radio stations that stream Barry McKnight or check ESPN3 for the chance Troy might be on. And for whatever it is worth, I firmly believe Coach Blakeney deserves to go out on his own terms. He did not forget how to coach football in the past three years. He loves the school and the program too much to damage what he built. He'd be the first guy to step aside if he thought he could not make the team better or thought a new direction was needed.

We all love our team, just like the Texas fans love the Longhorns. Let's be smarter than the bunch in Austin, back our team, the administration, the players ... and each other.

Trojans ... one and all.

Hemi Man
12-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Good post! No doubt there are several similarities.

onlytrojans
12-15-2013, 08:49 PM
great post... I agree.... also a new coach does not mean better teams...too many teams have brought in a coach the alumni was proud of only to win at the same rate or not as good. I read an article that spoke to just that in the last few days. I wish I would have kept it. It gave several examples to back up the comments in the story. lets hope that when the time comes we won't struggle for the next years that follow.....

BeachTrojan
12-16-2013, 01:25 AM
also a new coach does not mean better teams....

This is not for or against Blakeney's ouster, but the old, same coach does not mean a better team either.

There's a lot that goes into the formula for success and nobody on this board on either side of the debate (if you are reading or writing this - that means YOU) is qualified to make that strategic decision. However, this is medicine that the "keep Blakeney" crowd needs as much as the "fire Blakeney" crowd does.

Troy could change coaches and it result in being the best move the program has made in years with immediate success for years to come. No one can say for sure. There are calculated risks either way.

onlytrojans
12-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Beach , you are correct...a new coach could and hopefully will result in good things when and if it happens.....I pray that when the time comes, we hire someone who can work with our athletes as he recruits his own....don't want a deal like Auburn last year with an offensive coordinator that tried to run a pro style with spread guys...just did not work