PDA

View Full Version : Troy's Season and Football Program

TUpimp
12-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Why have I not seen a fire Dustin Landry post yet? The glaring weakness to our football team is our cornerbacks. If we had decent corners we would at least be 10-2 right now, and may have even been competitive with MSU and Ole Miss. Our corners looked more confused this year than last year, and that's saying a whole lot. They showed no improvement as the season progressed. IMO, that's on Landry. I'm not calling for any heads, because this is Landry's first year, and hopefully he will be an improved coach next year. But everyone is calling for Blakeney's head, and I'm not gonna lie and say the thought didn't run through my mind this year. The fact is Blakeney knows how to win and has done it for us in the past with 8 conference championships. The man hasn't forgot how to coach.

IMO the reason we have not been winning the conference every year like we used to is because the conference has gotten stronger and recruiting has become more competitive. Not just stronger compared to the Sun Belt of old, but stronger than our peer conferences. The Sun Belt was 6 - 1 against C-USA, MAC, and MWC this year. Also, the other schools in our conference have caught up to and exceeded us in regard to our football facilities. After we made the upgrade to the football stadium, it was time to upgrade other facilities like Riddle-Pace, track and field, Trojan Arena, and now the softball stadium. Of course, we needed upgrades to our academic buildings, student housing, and dining facility. While we were improving all of these facilities, where do you think the other schools were putting their money? Football! And if you don't think football facilities help in recruiting then your a damn idiot! We have not been at the top of the Belt here lately when it comes to recruiting and I think that is due to our facilities. You could be the greatest coach to walk the face of the earth, but if you don't have the talent, or at least players than can be coached up, I don't see you winning many games. Just my 2 cents.

Lego
12-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Yes or No, did Troy have the talent to win the conference this past year ?

Spiritual_Trojan
12-09-2013, 01:46 PM

I think the talent was there, I saw glimpses of greatness through out the season. There was simply not positive consistency which either means the team as a whole had given up or they weren't coached up. I mean we hung with Duke who was not your grandfathers Duke so to speak, competed with Arky St. who tied for first in the conference, then went completely stupid against Miss St and Ole Miss. I dont think it was the most talented team we've ever had, but I think the potential was there for a very good team. We were 3 touchdowns from 9-3 there were only three games lost by more than 7 points.
That is the most infuriating thing to me about this season, we were so very close, but could never close. On the flip side of that we were also just as close to being 3-9 or worse.

Hemi Man
12-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Why have I not seen a fire Dustin Landry post yet? The glaring weakness to our football team is our cornerbacks. If we had decent corners we would at least be 10-2 right now, and may have even been competitive with MSU and Ole Miss. Our corners looked more confused this year than last year, and that's saying a whole lot. They showed no improvement as the season progressed. IMO, that's on Landry. I'm not calling for any heads, because this is Landry's first year, and hopefully he will be an improved coach next year. But everyone is calling for Blakeney's head, and I'm not gonna lie and say the thought didn't run through my mind this year. The fact is Blakeney knows how to win and has done it for us in the past with 8 conference championships. The man hasn't forgot how to coach.

IMO the reason we have not been winning the conference every year like we used to is because the conference has gotten stronger and recruiting has become more competitive. Not just stronger compared to the Sun Belt of old, but stronger than our peer conferences. The Sun Belt was 6 - 1 against C-USA, MAC, and MWC this year. Also, the other schools in our conference have caught up to and exceeded us in regard to our football facilities. After we made the upgrade to the football stadium, it was time to upgrade other facilities like Riddle-Pace, track and field, Trojan Arena, and now the softball stadium. Of course, we needed upgrades to our academic buildings, student housing, and dining facility. While we were improving all of these facilities, where do you think the other schools were putting their money? Football! And if you don't think football facilities help in recruiting then your a damn idiot! We have not been at the top of the Belt here lately when it comes to recruiting and I think that is due to our facilities. You could be the greatest coach to walk the face of the earth, but if you don't have the talent, or at least players than can be coached up, I don't see you winning many games. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think Landry will be here next year.

As for your second paragraph, I totally agree. I have stated that very thing along with several others on here. Be prepared to be met with facilities aren't a cure all. Yes, I'm well aware you didn't say that, but some on here have selective reading skills. Preach on my friend. Those who pay attention knows where the heart of the problem lies!

Hemi Man
12-09-2013, 01:47 PM

Apparently not. We finished 3rd.

newnan trojan
12-09-2013, 01:52 PM
ULL has a nice Indoor practice facility.

And has now broke ground on their stadium upgrade....

We need to get on the ball.

dgoebel
12-09-2013, 02:12 PM
ULL has a nice Indoor practice facility.

And has now broke ground on their stadium upgrade....

We need to get on the ball.

ULL will be the next to jump ship jmo. Ark. St. Also. This season showed the Money difference, not football difference in C-USA and the Belt.

Chasin170
12-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Nothing nice about ULL indoor facility.Id much rather be late to the party bringing the best wine than show up early with Chamripple......

We need the endzone facility and when we get it, it will the the Gem of the league

TroyTrojans2003
12-09-2013, 02:25 PM
wow so being 3rd in the conference is ok. Dude we barely made 3rd, we should have been 2-10..honestly. This team sucks, no improvement at all 6-6 still sucks. We arent even in a bowl game! Thanks for the comment keyboard coach

Hemi Man
12-09-2013, 02:46 PM
wow so being 3rd in the conference is ok. Dude we barely made 3rd, we should have been 2-10..honestly. This team sucks, no improvement at all 6-6 still sucks. We arent even in a bowl game! Thanks for the comment keyboard coach

Some of the whiney fans suck as well. Work on your reading comprehension.

TroyTrojans2003
12-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Your keyboard coaching is sub par at best. Come up with something better so the rest of the people you annoy can comment

Hemi Man
12-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Your keyboard coaching is sub par at best. Come up with something better so the rest of the people you annoy can comment

Oh don't worry they will. As soon as their computer privileges are reinstated. No room for me to keyboard coach on here. The grassroots movement here is full of coaches, recruiting coordinators, athletic directors, PA announcers, marketing directors, and general know it alls.

TroyTrojans2003
12-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Board of Trustee? Mike Amos?

Hemi Man
12-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Board of Trustee? Mike Amos?

Neither of those would be necessary with the GTT grassroots movement.

TFan
12-09-2013, 04:05 PM

Who stated that "being 3rd in the Conference is ok?"

I haven't read it anywhere on this message board.

Hemi Man
12-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Who stated that "being 3rd in the Conference is ok?"

I haven't read it anywhere on this message board.

Some seem to struggle with reading comprehension. Posting out of anger, frustration, or intoxication can heighten the lack of understanding of what one is reading.

TUpimp
12-09-2013, 04:25 PM

No, we did not have the talent in the secondary to win a conference championship.

TFan
12-09-2013, 06:14 PM
No, we did not have the talent in the secondary to win a conference championship.

We've not had the talent for three years now..recruiting.

The buck stops at the top!

Lego
12-09-2013, 06:43 PM
I think the talent was there, I saw glimpses of greatness through out the season. There was simply not positive consistency which either means the team as a whole had given up or they weren't coached up. I mean we hung with Duke who was not your grandfathers Duke so to speak, competed with Arky St. who tied for first in the conference, then went completely stupid against Miss St and Ole Miss. I dont think it was the most talented team we've ever had, but I think the potential was there for a very good team. We were 3 touchdowns from 9-3 there were only three games lost by more than 7 points.
That is the most infuriating thing to me about this season, we were so very close, but could never close. On the flip side of that we were also just as close to being 3-9 or worse.

We've not had the talent for three years now..recruiting.

The buck stops at the top!

I would go with Spiritful Trojan on the talent, I think we did have the overall talent to win a conference championship.

Yes TuPimp, some areas are weaker than others.

Agree with TFan, the persons at the top (making the $$$) are accountable.