PDA

View Full Version : Benson- statement about bowls

Troy_TroJans
12-08-2013, 09:30 PM
http://www.sunbeltsports.org/SPORTS/MensSports/Football/Article/tabid/740/article/20634/Statement-from-Sun-Belt-Conference-Commissioner-Karl-Benson.aspx

Trojan by Birth
12-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Interesting that he says that the SBC doesn't have any bowl guarantees.

TSU-Baggs
12-08-2013, 10:01 PM
And here's CUSA's (CDOA to many of you who think they are the worse conference in the land) press release saying they have 6 teams going to bowls. We mock and make fun and they continue to have the last laugh. :jester: Just sayin.

http://www.conferenceusa.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120813aac.html

Trojans1andAll
12-08-2013, 10:16 PM
And here's CUSA's (CDOA to many of you who think they are the worse conference in the land) press release saying they have 6 teams going to bowls. We mock and make fun and they continue to have the last laugh. :jester: Just sayin.

http://www.conferenceusa.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120813aac.html

They are an older conference and their bowl affiliations were established years ago. In the actual quality of their teams, the Sun Belt can go head to head with any of 'em.

newnan trojan
12-08-2013, 10:17 PM
SBC goes 6-1 against the CUSA/MAC and we have 7 eligible... But we send 2 to bowls while CUSA/MAC send 11.... Wtf?!?

PensacolaTrojan
12-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Interesting that he says that the SBC doesn't have any bowl guarantees.

I think he is saying that the bowls are not obligated to take any specific team in the conference but I think it has to be from our conference.

TSU-Baggs
12-08-2013, 10:40 PM
They are an older conference and their bowl affiliations were established years ago. In the actual quality of their teams, the Sun Belt can go head to head with any of 'em.

Don't disagree with any of what you're saying, but they have the leverage and that's why they have 6 going. Regardless of whether we are better than any of them, they still have more going to the post season party's then the SBC and that will be the case for years and years to come.

TFan
12-08-2013, 11:17 PM
About Who Kares U anyway, Karl??

thrl595
12-09-2013, 12:00 AM
SBC goes 6-1 against the CUSA/MAC and we have 7 eligible... But we send 2 to bowls while CUSA/MAC send 11.... Wtf?!?

Holy Columus Ohio!:devil22:

AndrewMichaelDunn
12-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Sun Belt commissioners...

TFan
12-09-2013, 12:28 AM
We gotta WIN to be IN!

6-6 just doesn't cut it! How many Conference Championships and bowl Games past did we actually control our destiny near the end of the season?? Just wondering. Don't know for sure.

redwaver
12-09-2013, 08:23 AM
We gotta WIN to be IN!

6-6 just doesn't cut it! How many Conference Championships and bowl Games past did we actually control our destiny near the end of the season?? Just wondering. Don't know for sure.

Have to agree! If we had taken care of business when the opportunities were there we wouldn't be having these conversations. Of our 6 wins, two were against UAB and GaSt. Neither a football terror. I would have loved the chance to go bowling again because it helps with exposure and recruiting but it is what it is. ULM sticks in my craw because they were the one we should have beaten. We were in all three conferences loss games yet lost each one. Its no ones fault but our own. When SoAl best ULL 30-8 that may indicate upcoming problems ahead for them at the NO Bowl against Tulane and that's a bowl we need to win to back up our brag of being better than CUSA!

TroyFootball05
12-09-2013, 10:23 AM
We gotta WIN to be IN!

Absolutely, TFan! 7-5 or better is the only way next season. We should have two or three extra SBC bowls with Montgomery, Hawaii, and the Bahamas. That should make it more probable for Troy, but still not guaranteed.

Anyone know the official contracts on those bowls? Are they guaranteed SBC?

dgoebel
12-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Absolutely, TFan! 7-5 or better is the only way next season. We should have two or three extra SBC bowls with Montgomery, Hawaii, and the Bahamas. That should make it more probable for Troy, but still not guaranteed.

Anyone know the official contracts on those bowls? Are they guaranteed SBC?

Hawaii and the Bahamas are not our first choice for sure. Win the Belt or finish second you are guaranteed New Orleans or Mobile. Montgomery Camelia Bowl would be choice #3

dgoebel
12-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Have to agree! If we had taken care of business when the opportunities were there we wouldn't be having these conversations. Of our 6 wins, two were against UAB and GaSt. Neither a football terror. I would have loved the chance to go bowling again because it helps with exposure and recruiting but it is what it is. ULM sticks in my craw because they were the one we should have beaten. We were in all three conferences loss games yet lost each one. Its no ones fault but our own. When SoAl best ULL 30-8 that may indicate upcoming problems ahead for them at the NO Bowl against Tulane and that's a bowl we need to win to back up our brag of being better than CUSA!

Forgetting about the Savannah School of Art and Design we played for another win. 3 wins were against 2 0-12 schools and one 2-10 school. 2 others against 6-6 teams. That hurt us as much as 6-6 with the bowls IMO

Hemi Man
12-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Forgetting about the Savannah School of Art and Design we played for another win. 3 wins were against 2 0-12 schools and one 2-10 school. 2 others against 6-6 teams. That hurt us as much as 6-6 with the bowls IMO

Nope. Ticket sales. Ticket Sales. Ticket Sales.

TSUALUM
12-09-2013, 03:45 PM

I kind of chuckle when I read a statement like this...SBC beat the following CUSA/MAC/MWC teams....UAB (2-10), Southern Miss (1-11), Akron (5-7), Kent State (4-8), Wyoming (5-7) and Tulane (7-5). Tulane was 1-1 vs SBC foes. 6-1 sounds good until you consider the teams that were beaten. Only Tulane is over 500 and we split with them. of our 7 bowl eligible teams 4 are 6-6. Of CUSA's 8, only 1 with 6-6 record.

We didn't deserve a bowl game with a 6-6 record, given the "quality" of our wins. Doesn't matter we were "close" in several games...wins and loses....

Our conference has some quality schools, plays some quality football. What we lack that will consistently keep us from a big Bowl consideration (except when winning the conference with better than 9 wins) is strong fan base that travels, a television market that brings in revenue. That's just the facts. It's a money driven sport these days.

I had an off year with travel this year due to activities at home and work, but I plan to be back on the road next year for a full slate of games, win or lose. I'm a die hard Trojan fan.