PDA

View Full Version : Big Game in Troy Wednesday Dec 4

Hemi Man
12-03-2013, 08:07 PM
TROY, Ala. The Troy women's basketball team will host its second SEC team in as many seasons on Wednesday when Florida visits Trojan Arena. Tipoff between the Trojans and Gators is set for 7 p.m.

http://www.troytrojans.com/news/2013/12/3/WBB_1203133503.aspx?path=wbball

TFan
12-03-2013, 08:38 PM
* butts in seats

dgoebel
12-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Wish I could be there. Nothing would make my day than a Troy win so I can rub it in to the lizard fans here. Go Lady Trojans, beat the Lady Geicos :jester:

TFan
12-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Well, we got outclassed here. Out shot, out rebounded, out turnovered...you name it. I think our Lady's were a bit intimidated the first half.

Ball handling continues to be an issue with the Lady Trojans; and those long cold spells. Couldn't buy a basket for loOOONg stretches in both 1st & 2nd periods. Joanna was well-guarded by the Gatorettes.

Ashley Beverly-Kelly emerged in the 2nd period.

trojanbrutha
12-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Well, we got outclassed here. Out shot, out rebounded, out turnovered...you name it. I think our Lady's were a bit intimidated the first half.

Ball handling continues to be an issue with the Lady Trojans; and those long cold spells. Couldn't buy a basket for loOOONg stretches in both 1st & 2nd periods. Joanna was well-guarded by the Gatorettes.

Ashley Beverly-Kelly emerged in the 2nd period.

They killed it at the free throw line...6 more 3s...the rest was about even

TFan
12-05-2013, 12:03 AM
They killed it at the free throw line...6 more 3s...the rest was about even

I thought the crowd was very good! The students are turning out in numbers so far this season. A lot of other teams have been represented in the crowds, men's BBall was there tonight, women's volleyball spotted last game and several football players are at all games. Oh, Lady's softball gals spotted there tonight as well.

Trojan fans didn't seem to like the officiating, but about par for the course.

Hey Bro! What was the final, about 100-67???

TFan
12-05-2013, 12:15 AM
TROY, Ala. The Troy women's basketball team fell victim to an early run by Florida and couldn't recover in a 104-74 loss to the Gators at Trojan Arena on Wednesday night.

Florida was the second SEC team to visit Trojan Arena in as many years and used a 21-0 run in the first half to pull away early. Troy (3-4) led 11-8 four minutes into the game, but Florida scored 21 straight to take a 29-11 lead and never looked back.

Ashley Beverly-Kelley led the Trojans with 19 points and nine rebounds. Three others were in double-figure scoring, including Joanna Harden (12 points) who entered the game 4th in the nation in scoring, averaging 26.3 per game. Brooke Bowie recorded 13 points while Chant Lewis scored 10 off the bench.

"We came out strong and had control for first two or three minutes," Troy head coach Chanda Rigby said. "We talked about competing before the game and we did that, but then we took a step back when Florida went on a run and we never recovered from it."

The Gators built the lead to 23 at halftime, but Troy seamed to be cutting into it when Chant Lewis made two layups in nine seconds to get the lead down to 16 at 63-47.

However, with the lead hovering around 20 for the Gators, Troy made just 4-of-21 shots down the stretch as Florida extended the lead.

The Gators were led by Jaterra Bonds and January Miller who each scored 22 points. Five Florida players scored in double figures, including a double-double from Christin Mercer who had 10 points and 12 rebounds. Kayla Lewis led all players with 15 rebounds.

In a game that featured 57 fouls, Florida took 43 trips to the free throw line. The Gators shot 81 percent in those trips, including a 24-of-26 showing in the second half. Troy, however, was just 12-of-25 from the free throw line.

The Trojans also struggled from deep, shooting just 15 percent (4-of-27) after entering the game leading the Sun Belt in 3-point shooting at 36.4 percent. Florida made 7-of-17 3-pointers in the first half and shot 36 percent for the game.

Troy returns to the floor on Sunday when Evansville visits Trojan Arena to close a four-game

Hemi Man
12-05-2013, 06:02 AM
The 21-0 run by Florida was a killer. Florida's size advantage inside hurt as well. The crowd was good. The Trojans played hard until the end.

dgoebel
12-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Even though we want to win, these are the games and teams that make you better. They still have to play the Lady Vols to. This will make them better. You prove nothing, and learn nothing playing D11 schools and SWAC and MEAC schools. This game gets them better, I guarantee it.

FoulPolePhenom
12-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Even though we want to win, these are the games and teams that make you better. They still have to play the Lady Vols to. This will make them better. You prove nothing, and learn nothing playing D11 schools and SWAC and MEAC schools. This game gets them better, I guarantee it.

Don't necessarily agree with this. Sure if you play well against those big schools and hang in there it's great and can help with confidence but if you get beat up and down the floor by schools then it could kill a team's morale. Whereas, playing and beating SWAC and MEAC schools and playing well in the process can help build confidence, and get things rollings. Winning breeds winnings.

TFan
12-05-2013, 10:56 AM

The taste of a WIN every now and then whets the desire. Getting whipped every game just to get better could be demoralizing.

I like our preconference schedule, allows us to play different talents, styles and interesting matchups. Sizes up our troops, strengths and weaknesses under various game scenarios.

Ladys need to practice free throws BTW!!! Jeez...

dgoebel
12-05-2013, 11:04 AM
The taste of a WIN every now and then whets the desire. Getting whipped every game just to get better could be demoralizing.

I like our preconference schedule, allows us to play different talents, styles and interesting matchups. Sizes up our troops, strengths and weaknesses under various game scenarios.

Ladys need to practice free throws BTW!!! Jeez...

Sounds like they also had a lot of fouls also. Gators had a lot of free throws

I guess people are missing my point on this. Yes, you need wins, but playing up in competition improves your game. Like the saying goes " you want to be the man, you have to beat the man". Guarding great players, shooting against great defenses etc has to improve ones game and when you get into conference play you are better prepared...jmo that's all.

FoulPolePhenom
12-05-2013, 11:06 AM

I guess people are missing my point on this. Yes, you need wins, but playing up in competition improves your game. Like the saying goes " you want to be the man, you have to beat the man". Guarding great players, shooting against great defenses etc has to improve ones game and when you get into conference play you are better prepared...jmo that's all.

But it only improves your game if you play well in those games.

TFan
12-05-2013, 11:09 AM

I do get your point, just don't send those Lady Lizards from your area here every week!!

I got your point sir!!!

TFan
12-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Did I say our Lady's need to practice free throws??